Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > NextD - Stingray 500

NextD - Stingray 500 CJY Stingray 500 Quad Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancockdw View Post
Yep, that's the one. AKA Hobbywing?
Hmm... Doesn't behave like a Hobbywing (I have a 50A V3, works like a charm on my MiniP), and doesn't look like one. Is it a custom version of Hobbywing? And if yes, which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancockdw View Post
I'll probably use an Align 70A or an older CC Phoenix 80A I have lying around.
I think that'll be an overkill. Granted, I wasn't doing anything funny this one, but the telemetry shows (with the stock 4S motor) hovering current at average of about 17A, full collective maneuvers normally to 30A, very rarely short peaks to 50A. The only case when it got to 60A was when it was thrashing rotors on the ground during its last flight.
Heli-X, AccuRC, RF 7.5 Transmitter Interface Edition
madeye is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have no information to base my suspicion as to the Next-D ESC's origin other than the startup tones, which sound just like a bunch of Asian ESCs. Maybe it's a HobbyWing copy, umm, flatterer.

The reason I may use the units mentioned are mainly that's what I have on hand that are big enough. I believe the Phoenix is actually lighter than the Align; the Align was a 60A that I installed the heatsink kit on (or one like it -- I have 2 of those). The Phoenix powered my dear departed Century Swift NX without issue. As I mentioned (didn't I?) I will be adding a separate BEC, too.

Parts are on the way from Droneshelis. Also rebuilding my old 450 again, perhaps for the last time. A modeler's work is never done ....

Dave
Old 12-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, unlike the thread title I guess I haven't quite had it after all. I now have rebuilt the mechanics, and acquired an old-but-new Phoenix 45 ESC, but realize I don't know how to set it up for the Stingray. Who has set up a non-NEXTD ESC?
Old 12-31-2015, 06:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

You may want to have a look at The bums post on the forum I believe he did a custom setup and posted his findings on using a different esc. There should also be a bit of info on Curtis,s website that gives some detail as to what the total g requires from the esc before it initialises.

I still can't get used to calling someone the bum, but that's his name here

Last edited by Busher; 01-01-2016 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Changed pushed to posted, damned predictive text
Busher is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 02:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks. I *knew* I had seen someone's posts about this!

Yes, his nickname has different connotations here in the States, but not particularly more favorable ones. I'm sure there's a story there.

David "Dave" Hancock (what a boring nickname)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

May be mentioning the obvious, but there are some small tits on the inside of the rotor bases that align with the holes In the boom. If you have had ground contact and sheared those, no matter how tight you get the rotor bases they will rotate in flight.

p.s. I don't know this because I am smart.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have also learned the hard way the rotor shafts are very intolerant to any bend at all. If one has been in a previous accident it should be suspect. One quick check for me is to pick it up into a hover, if the belts do not track true with no vibration I set it down and investigate. More often than not I have a slightly bent shaft.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also had issues with mine early on, I sent it back to CY (while they were still doing such things) and all they did was reinstall the firmware on the Total G and that solved its issues. So far subsequent issues have been because of me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in