Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post Blade 230s Hint's and Tip's

Vibration or Yaw drift;

If you see any vibrations in the model or experience any yaw drift in a hover then chances are the battery was strapped to tightly to the airframe. If the battery is strapped to tightly this helps to build up a resonance in the overall system that leads to yaw drift and horrible vibration in flight.

If you experience a vibration or yaw drift issue then simply loosen up the battery strap and try again. The difference is surprising considering the trivial change.

Swash plate drift;

The swash plate slow drift in stability mode is normal, this is how SAFE works. The severity of the drift will depend on how far the model is off from level. Please do not try to adjust trims to minimize this as this will only cause the agility flight modes to drift as well.

As the model spools up and begins to lift off the system will position the swash plate in the necessary position.

The Roll, Pitch and Yaw neutral positions are memorized during initialization so using the transmitter trim adjustments are unnecessary.

Checking that the swash plate is level;

Simply follow the procedure outlined in the product manual (page 14, Servo Adjustment Mode). Once you have entered the adjustment mode the servos will be in the neutral position and the flight controller will be disabled so the helicopter can be moved around.

The back two servo arms should be parallel to the servo case and the front arm should be parallel with the back two servo arms.

Verify that the swash plate is level. Fold both main blades back and if the tips of the blades line up with each other as you slowly rotate the head 360 degrees. If the main blade tips remained aligned with each other then your swash is level and the swash is at the proper height to have 0 degrees of collective at center stick.

To exit servo adjustment mode simply hold the panic button down for 4 seconds and the servos will jump to indicate the values have been saved.

Trim Flight;

When the model is hovering in calm conditions no more than 1/8th of the total throw of stick movement should be necessary to hold the model level. Please notice I said level as opposed to stationary, the model may translate in the same direction as the wind when the model is level.

Stronger winds will require more correction on the stick to keep the model still, and you will notice that the model is no longer level as well.

If you feel like you have to hold a lot of cyclic in the model to keep the model level in calm conditions then a trim flight is the next step. Please follow the Trim flight instructions in the Blade 230s Advanced Settings addendum below;

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH1...ndum_Multi.pdf

The trim flight procedure is down below the Gain Parameter Section and the Servo Adjustment Mode.

Generally it takes approximate one minute of flight to collect the proper data. If you own a spektrum telemetry enabled transmitter you can go to the flight log screen and the "H: xx" value is the # of seconds of good data that has been captured.

Personal Preference Adjustments;

We aim for a good balance on the initial out of box setup but the fact is everyone likes things a little different than others. If you have a computer based transmitter please feel free to make adjustments to the End Points, Expo and Dual Rates to match your preferences.

Just some quick notes;

a) I want more collective, raise collective channel Travel in transmitter
b) I want less collective, lower collective channel Travel in transmitter
c) Its to sensitive but the total rate is acceptable, add expo
d) its to soft but the total rate is acceptable, reduce expo
e) I want it to flip faster, raise AIL and ELE Dual Rates (much more than 120% just starts to increase drag and not the rate, this is where you need lighter less stable blades). If you are at higher altitude densities you will get away with larger values.
f) I want it to flip slower, lower AIL and ELE Dual Rates
g) Speed up the yaw rate by raising the RUD Dual Rates
h) Slow the yaw rate down by lowering the RUD Dual Rates

Regards,
Brian Bremer
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
mos2k likes this.

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-07-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Brian Bremer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Brian.

Could we please STICKY this thread when possible HF support?
Old 09-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

added checking to see if the swash plate is level and personal preference adjustments to the inital post.

Regards,
Brian Bremer
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the information Brian I hope everyone gets things figured out and flying soon. unfortunately I had to cancel my preorder due to a change in my employment situation but I still plan on getting one once things get resolved

Blade 230S, Nano cpx, nano qx/3dqx/fpv, 200qx MCPX V2, Align Trex 250, 250 DFCplus, Trex 450 plus,Trex 500, JR Forza 450, and more I retired
Cman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent information from a company that's known for excellent service. I say the whole damn thing is excellent! Thanks!
Old 09-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can add my vote that this particular thread with Brian's initial post be stickied !
JayW129 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

bump
Old 09-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please mods. This should be a sticky if you are going to sticky the other one's . Blade 230s Hint's and Tip's ..I would like to add that d12bn videos also be added..Some how to videos..

Thanks for your time .
TooTall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

+10000 please make a sticky

QUOTE=TooTall;6674897]Please mods. This should be a sticky if you are going to sticky the other one's . Blade 230s Hint's and Tip's ..I would like to add that d12bn videos also be added..Some how to videos..

Thanks for your time .[/QUOTE]
ks9818 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bump, please see post #1 if you are experiencing any yaw drift or erratic cyclic drift.

The change sounds trivial but can have a surprising large impact on the way the model flies.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

This would possibly be awesome.
thruster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes! Sticky this!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bremer View Post
e) I want it to flip faster, raise AIL and ELE Dual Rates (much more than 120% just starts to increase drag and not the rate, this is where you need lighter less stable blades). If you are at higher altitude densities you will get away with larger values.
Are there any plans for "less stable" 3D type blades from Horizon/Blade?
SamCSx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Checking that the swash plate is level;

Simply follow the procedure outlined in the product manual (page 14, Servo Adjustment Mode). Once you have entered the adjustment mode the servos will be in the neutral position and the flight controller will be disabled so the helicopter can be moved around.

The back two servo arms should be parallel to the servo case and the front arm should be parallel with the back two servo arms.

Verify that the swash plate is level. Fold both main blades back and if the tips of the blades line up with each other as you slowly rotate the head 360 degrees. If the main blade tips remained aligned with each other then your swash is level and the swash is at the proper height to have 0 degrees of collective at center stick.

To exit servo adjustment mode simply hold the panic button down for 4 seconds and the servos will jump to indicate the values have been saved.
Hi Brian. I must say that I'm truly surprised that someone at Horizon Hobby is suggesting folding the blades to check for a level swash plate. That is not a valid test.

If you fold the blades to the same side then they will tell you when you are at zero degrees collective pitch , but they tell you nothing about whether or not the cyclic pitch is at zero degrees (i.e. if the swash is tilted or level).

When the blades are folded, the collective input (swash plate moving up and down along the shaft) will determine whether the blades are split or side-by-side. If the collective is set at zero degrees and the folded blades are lined up with each other, they will continue to line up as the main shaft is rotated even if the swash plate is tilted. The only thing that will make the blade tips split is moving the collective away from 0 degrees pitch.

Here is the distinction... If the blade tips are lined up, and the swash plate is perfectly level, then the path that the blade tips follow as the main shaft is rotated will be perfectly perpendicular to the main shaft in both the fore/aft direction as well as the side/side direction. If the swash plate is not level, then the folded blade tip path will be tilted in relation to the main shaft.

To prove this point, take a properly setup heli, and with TH applied, play with the controls while rotating the rotor head by hand with the blades folded. At zero degrees collective, apply full cyclic in any direction. The folded blade tips will remain aligned, but they tilted blade tip path will be very evident.

I've seen this method suggested a number of times in the past and it seems to be one of those myths that won't go away unfortunately.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 12-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its just a typo. The 1st mentioned in that paragraph is verify the swash is level, that is up to you to ensure it is level.

The test was to see if you are close to 0 collective, not level the swash. The mention of the swash is level was in error on my part.

Its far from a perfect test but works okay on the little models.

It provides a starting point, test flying is the only way to verify +/- collective range is balanced and even that does't guarantee mid stick is 0.

I would fix the typo but for some reason i cannot edit the original post.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gain P, I, D Parameters?

1st thanks for this great procedure! Now, What do Gain (P, I, D) Parameters refer to? I mean I guess they relate to the 3 axes but which is which is which?

What are good gain settings for the various gain parameters for this heli @ sea level, 60 degrees F?
vortexring is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

PID are part of the control loops for each axis

P is the proportional gain
I is the integral gain
D is the derivative gain

Please see the advanced parameters (page 12 in the manual), the text explains how to access the parameters and what they do.

Out of the box defaults (or 100% for everything) should cover almost everyone, if your are way up in the mountains then raising all of the gains will be beneficial since the air density is lower.

Tweak away, small performance improvements can be found based on small model variances and personal preferences.

Regards,
Brian Bremer
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Swash plate drift;

The swash plate slow drift in stability mode is normal, this is how SAFE works. The severity of the drift will depend on how far the model is off from level. Please do not try to adjust trims to minimize this as this will only cause the agility flight modes to drift as well.

As the model spools up and begins to lift off the system will position the swash plate in the necessary position.

The Roll, Pitch and Yaw neutral positions are memorized during initialization so using the transmitter trim adjustments are unnecessary.
Hi Brian,

I did the trim flight procedure and my 230s is rock solid in hover, no trim necessary, for the first 1 - 2 minutes. But after this amount of time, and increasingly until landing at the 5 minute mark, the 230s wants to drift more and more to the right (only). This certainly doesn't seem correct. Any ideas what I can do for this problem?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Drift progressively worse

Sorry if this is a repost, but my original won't show up.

I did the trim flight procedure and the heli is rock solid for about 90 seconds and then little by little until landing at the 5 min. mark, the heli wants to drift to the right until after 5 minutes if I let go of the cyclic the heli darts to the right at a high rate of speed.

Then, when starting up again with a new battery, the pattern is repeated: starts out rock solid, then develops a drift to the right which gets worse and worse until landing (needs near full trim to counteract).

This can't be right. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I experienced the tail vibration in 3d mode. will try to loose battery to see if it can be fixed.
vodaye is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in