Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My 230 finally hit the dirt!!!

Well after 12 months of regular use, 400-500 flights, my 230 finally took its first dirt nap We had some lovely weather in the UK last week and I had multiple flights over three days. On the third day I was flying confidently and even had a fair old crowd behind me at one point.

So later on I was on my fourth pack, coming out of a loop I hit positive collective a little early and went in hard Even though i was over grass I was still expecting major damage and lots of it but the 230 impressed. There wasn't a single mark on the canopy which shocked me. Infact the only visible damage was the usual front frame split above the skids and a stripped main gear.

I am going to replace the main and feathering shaft also while I have the head off. It gives me a chance to do some maintenance, give the thrust bearings some fresh grease. I also noticed the dampers have become very squishy, so they are getting replaced also. The frame has been repaired which I will discuss at the end.

As far as the crash is concerned it was 100% my fault, a combination of dumb thumb and dumb decision. The dumb decision being that I was half way through one maneuver and changed my mind half way through to do something else. Usually when I fly I plan what Im going to do, I decide on a move or set of moves and stick to them, this method has served me very well. On this occasion I was half way though a vertical 8 and then decided to switch to a basic loop but I didn't have the same height I would usually have coming out of a loop at speed, add in the early collective transition and there's you're basic recipe for a crash

The frame repair is basically epoxy but with a couple additional elements. So if you take a look at the pics you will see a white stringy affair within the epoxy, this is a combination of dental floss and CA. If you can see the four dots in the side shots, these are metal pins, two either side of the frame break.

So initially I just super glued the broken frame piece back on, this was purely to hold it in place while I set about the repair proper. Then I took a safety pin and cut four small lengths, these are the pins. Holding a pin with needle nose pliers I applied heat till glowing red, then insert into the frame, hold in position and as it cools the frame will grip the pin. I put two pins either side of the break. Then I took a length of dental floss and bound it around the break using the frame and pins as anchor points. Then apply some thin CA to the floss. Dental floss and CA sets hard like a cast, it is surprisingly strong and sets fast. This is the first layer of strength but it also adds extra structure for the epoxy to bind to. Then just add the epoxy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_192235-01.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	740054   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_191914-01.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	740055   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_192212-01.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	740056   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_191516-01.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	740057  
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice! Congrats!

Triple check the tail boom. Sometimes that can bend up or down and you'd almost never know.

As for the shafts, well as you know I've lawn darted mine numerous times, several very hard too, and still have yet to bend a shaft. I'd say simply check the feathering shaft on glass, and spin up the main with the head off and look at the top of the main shaft. if they aren't bent, don't bother replacing. They're a lot stronger than you might think.

And welcome to the cracked and repaired frame club
Old 03-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about the crash, its a pain but I fly exactly like you and plan everything out. I won't start a maneuver unless I am happy with the positioning of the heli in the sky and that it is settled as I want it. Sometimes it can get away from you if it is in a drift or something when starting the maneuver.

I like the frame repair, it doesn't look like that will break easily. I would do the other side to prevent it breaking in the future. Also as you say these heli's are very robust and crash well. When mine hit the dirt and bounced about 3 ft in the air I thought it would be totally destroyed but the damage was very minor.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oops we all crash buddy but thats a good fudge repair
pidster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

now your fear of crashing will actually be lower!

Everyone always seems to ask how to shake the fear of crashing, and the answer is almost always; "by crashing" lol. I found that to be true.

I know you're not a newbie, but just wanted to add this here for everyone else to see too, because it really is true
Old 03-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
now your fear of crashing will actually be lower!

Everyone always seems to ask how to shake the fear of crashing, and the answer is almost always; "by crashing" lol. I found that to be true.

I know you're not a newbie, but just wanted to add this here for everyone else to see too, because it really is true
That breaks rule number five, resignation... ( "oh well gonna crash and learn...") (page five link below)
I do not think so, A crash just means less flight time. AKA less flight experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Well after 12 months of regular use,......out of a loop I hit positive collective a little early and went in hard....

As far as the crash is concerned it was 100% my fault, a combination of ...and dumb decision. The dumb decision being ... half way through one maneuver... changed my mind half way through to do something else.

Usually when I fly I plan what Im going to do, I decide on a move or set ... method has served me very well.... On this occasion I was half way though a ... decided to switch... basic loop ...
you're basic recipe for a crash...

You broke rule number two (page five link below). Maybe rules number three and number four, too.
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...4_phak_ch2.pdf
Old 03-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdipstick View Post
That breaks rule number five, resignation... ( "oh well gonna crash and learn...") (page five link below)
I do not think so, A crash just means less flight time. AKA less flight experience.
I was referring to the fear of crashing. So many people have the ability to fly very well, but never actually try because they're so scared of crashing. And the fear of crashing makes them a much worse pilot. But once you crash, you lose the fear, and can fly comfortably, which almost always works out to be BETTER piloting.
You probably can't disagree, if you remember back to when you were first starting in this hobby
Old 03-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah guess so. I think im just sick of rebuilding? Got no crashes on this heli? No budget this week? Uhm... Its to late to fly? Maybe next week? Lol ( maybe I DO have a fear of crashing lol.)

OP I have always wondered about the 230, lots like them and for you to acomplish 4-500 flights, congrats! It is inspiration for me to take it easy and know it is possible. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have several hundred flights on my 230S and the only parts I've replaced are some tail blades and the dampers. It really is a wonderful heli. I have quite a bit of bling and upgrade parts still sitting NIP I just never felt like using yet.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was interesting reading that article where for normal aviation the most likely accident phases are climb out after take off and landing. I don't think that's true for us. I have very rarely crashed taking off and landing. I have had some model failures on take off, like losing tail drive but they have not been pilot error crashes. On landing on very occasional times the heli has tipped on shutdown. I think most of our crashes occur because we want to push the envelope and develop new maneuvers. Doing this I think crashes are to some extent inevitable but can be minimized by our approach through putting the helicopter in a good part of the sky relative to where we are standing and secondly having a clear plan of what we want to do. Don't just throw the helicopter into some maneuver and then try and sort out the mess. Also some hours practice on the sim can help a lot.
Lotus 7 likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
It was interesting reading that article where for normal aviation the most likely accident phases are climb out after take off and landing. I don't think that's true for us. I have very rarely crashed taking off and landing. I have had some model failures on take off, like losing tail drive but they have not been pilot error crashes. On landing on very occasional times the heli has tipped on shutdown. I think most of our crashes occur because we want to push the envelope and develop new maneuvers. Doing this I think crashes are to some extent inevitable but can be minimized by our approach through putting the helicopter in a good part of the sky relative to where we are standing and secondly having a clear plan of what we want to do. Don't just throw the helicopter into some maneuver and then try and sort out the mess. Also some hours practice on the sim can help a lot.
very well said.

SIM imo is the key to success heli flying....
Lotus 7 likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I have several hundred flights on my 230S and the only parts I've replaced are some tail blades and the dampers. It really is a wonderful heli. I have quite a bit of bling and upgrade parts still sitting NIP I just never felt like using yet.
yes. I thought Align 250 was a great little bird. This heli is far better than any heli i flew....
Old 03-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheers guys I've actually had many crashes however it's nearly always the XK K110 that's taking the punishment I use the K110 to learn the majority of new maneuvers after the sim. Obviously there's been certain moves it couldn't handle....... knife edge hurricanes on the tail, piro funnels etc On these occasions I would just put extra sim time in and go straight to the 180 or 360. The K110 has definitely saved me many , I used it to learn all my inverted orientations and circuits.

Obviously a disciplined approach to sim time has also helped immensely. When I first started using a sim it didn't really make much difference to my RL flying, because i was not using the sim effectively. I was treating it more like a game, just flying around without any real goals or motivation to learn and improve.

Once I made the choice to start using the sim for structured practice, together with ArchmageAU's tail in to all 8's training program, that's when things really started to change. I improved in terms of both skill set and confidence, the gains were really quite dramatic. It took a lot of effort and commitment but it was the best decision I ever made.

Last edited by Lotus 7; 03-14-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Lotus 7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't say enough good things about ArchmageAU's tail in to all 8's training program. All I did was crash and was ready to give up. Then I bought a sim and stuck to his program and in a month I had my first controlled flight and went through 3 batteries without issue on my 450x. Just starting the inverted stuff now.
Lotus 7 likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been using ArchmageAU's tail in to all 8's training program for a while and I find it very good. The thing I have found is that you can actually put together quite a good impressive looking display using very basic maneuvers. One of the first aerobatic moves I learnt was the back flip which if done whilst flying along doesn't look much but if you do a flip while hovering stationary and keeping the heli in one place it looks dead good.
Lotus 7 likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

any position when heli is upside down looks dead good.... any position. guys i need to get another heli very soon. Tired of just flying 230s.
Thinking 250 cfx, or fusion 270 or 360 cfx 3s (green canopy).... i need to make decision quick....
Old 03-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005h4 View Post
guys i need to get another heli very soon. Tired of just flying 230s.
Thinking 250 cfx, or fusion 270 or 360 cfx 3s (green canopy).... i need to make decision quick....
Of the three on you're list I would have to say it's between the 270 and 360. There's nothing wrong with the 250 but it will feel quite similar to the 230 in the air, you would feel a small performance increase but it will be minimal. With the 270 or 360 you will get that performance jump and the feeling you are flying something on a whole new level.
therick04pp likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
any position when heli is upside down looks dead good.... any position. guys i need to get another heli very soon. Tired of just flying 230s.
Since blade is going the way of the fusion line, I would suggest the 270. Its top of the line for blade in that size and as long as the Fusion line is their new direction, pry a better idea to go that route, imho.

it's getting hard to find some parts the 550 and 500 because they are now discontinued.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I agree with lotus. Skip the 250. fusion 270 or 360cfx would be great choices. Fusion has panic button, 360cfx does not. So keep that in mind.
If you're interested in a building a heli, definitely take a look at Align helis. I just finished building my first 470LT. The 450 might be of interest to you, it is the same size as the 360cfx. The 450 just doesn't come with a Rx, whereas the 360cfx at it's current sale price (because it's being discontinued soon) does come with a Rx. The 450 is also a little cheaper ($386) than the 360cfx even at its current sale price ($400)
Old 03-15-2018, 04:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or, really step out and build your first kit

Oxy 2/3/4/5; XL Power 700; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in