Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can the AR636 receiver be used in other helis?

Can the AR636 receiver be used in other helis? Specifically, can it be used to drive a tail servo? Seems like I've seen this talked about in other threads but can't remember where I read it, if so can anyone point me to that discussion?

Really like the way that my 230s flies, it would be great to move a $100 receiver/controller over to something bigger.
buzzme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your referring to the receiver in 230s, then NO. It's actually a AR636A receiver. A proprietary receiver to the model it was installed in only.
FLMIBrewer74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not the least bit programmable, so you'd have to work with the receiver as-is, understanding that it's set up for the 230 S.

That doesn't mean it can't be done. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to experiment with it. For example, the SAFE receiver from the Apprentice S airplane is being installed in lots of other planes and works great. You have to test it thoroughly and maybe reverse some servos for it, depending on the plane.

For a CP heli, issue number one is to have the exact same arrangement of servos around the swash as the 230 S - same position and spacing. I'm not sure what else you might run into.

Next month Horizon (Spektrum) is releasing their new version of the AR7210BX, which will incorporate the "AttitudeControl" features BeastX has now. AttitudeControl is very similar to SAFE, and of course it will be called SAFE on the AR7210BX. It's going to be a downloadable option, whatever that means. BeastX charges extra for AttitudeControl, so it sounds like Spektrum will handle it the same way.

So you're probably better off waiting for that to hit the street instead of putting this specialized AR636 into something bigger. The AR7210BX would be fully programmable and probably more reliable on a bigger heli.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new Blade 450 model in the next few months with SAFE and based on the AR7210BX. That's what the new 270 CFX is based on, and it will have SAFE.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Brian of HH has stated that the SAFE will be included in the USA versions of the AR7210BX.
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015, 05:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

will the safe set up -receiver in the 200srx work in the 230s? Thank you.
stevehastings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, think of it.

The 200SRX is only a FP heli.
So the RX firmware is programmed by HH for 2 servos + motor tail.

The 200SRX receiver is not mixing the 3 cyclic servos including pitch.
So the fixed pre-programmed firmware for FP can NOT be used with 3 cyclics / pitch.

There are so many FBL systems which do support 120 cyclics + tail servos / pitch tails.

Why do you guys even think about using this HH BNF fixed receiver firmware stuff in other helis?
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas.Heiss View Post
Well, think of it.

The 200SRX is only a FP heli.
So the RX firmware is programmed by HH for 2 servos + motor tail.

The 200SRX receiver is not mixing the 3 cyclic servos including pitch.
So the fixed pre-programmed firmware for FP can NOT be used with 3 cyclics / pitch.

There are so many FBL systems which do support 120 cyclics + tail servos / pitch tails.

Why do you guys even think about using this HH BNF fixed receiver firmware stuff in other helis?
O OK thank you, apart from my align t-rex 100, QX350 the srx 200 are the only helis I have owned or flown, I cant do 3D and I like the first 2 modes on the srx 200. Just thought I could have those modes on the 230s when I get one, thank you.
stevehastings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

The 230s receiver has some stability / angle leveling modes as well as rescue.
HH calls it SAFE.

You may want to take a look in the PDF manual manual or call your dealer about 230s flight modes or check 230s threads.

HH already adjusted their receiver firmware for 3 cyclic servos / pitch as you were looking for (SAFE).

The SAFE (some) flight modes you are looking for can also be found in the newer FBL systems with normal tail pitch on 450++ helis:
MSH brain (self level)
Spirit system FBL (level, rescue+pitch)
Beastx Plus/Pro (rescue)
Skookum 720 (level, GPS, etc.)

---------------------
Some personal opinions about the 230s (moved to general thread): https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=358

And now guys buy your Blade 230s :-)

Thomas

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 09-30-2015 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: moved 230s opinions to general thread
Old 09-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you could probably get it to work ok if you had similar servo layouts but the big question would be the tail servo as the 230s tail is electric.

I think a better bet would be either an Ikon or Neuron. Either can be had for a bit less than $150 if you shop around and then you can pick up a decent satellite for $10 and be on your way.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Van View Post
Brian of HH has stated that the SAFE will be included in the USA versions of the AR7210BX.
I know Brian said SAFE will be on the AR7210BX included with the 270CFX,
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...67&postcount=7
but I have not heard about it being included on US models. Do you have a link to this, because the Spektrum site says "Optional SAFE« software sold separately" here:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ID=SPMAR7210BX

$100 for a AR636 FBL is a bargain compared to the AR7210BX at $320 ($220 plus $100 for SAFE)
PawnDMonium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 04:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with yakky.

Spirit System FBL (or the newer Pro), EZNov Neuron, MSH Brain & other FBLs are the best route to go if you use pitch heli tails.

How come you do not hear much about Open Source FBLs with rescue/safe/leveling support?

I do not read much about Rondo / micro Rondo??!?
ÁRondo seems to be ~14g. So Neuron is more lightweight (~7g).

Thomas
Old 09-30-2015, 06:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Here ya go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnDMonium View Post
but I have not heard about it being included on US models. Do you have a link to this, because the Spektrum site says "Optional SAFE« software sold separately" here:

$100 for a AR636 FBL is a bargain compared to the AR7210BX at $320 ($220 plus $100 for SAFE)
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=707610
Old 09-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Van View Post
The panic button/bailout feature will be standard. The self-level/stability function will be an extra option. Rumor is it will be $100 because that's what BeastX charges for AttitudeControl.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnDMonium View Post

To clarify, the AR7210BX when sold as an open stock receiver/FBL controller will not include the SAFE functionality (i.e. self level and bailout). When it is included with the Blade 270 CFX, it WILL include bailout.

The open stock AR7210BX can be upgraded to the optional SAFE software if the user wishes.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian James View Post
To clarify, the AR7210BX when sold as an open stock receiver/FBL controller will not include the SAFE functionality (i.e. self level and bailout). When it is included with the Blade 270 CFX, it WILL include bailout.

The open stock AR7210BX can be upgraded to the optional SAFE software if the user wishes.
Hi Brian,

So on the 270cfx, if I'm understanding you correctly, it comes with "bailout" and self level is an option for USA models.

If I've got that right, for those of us that have one pre-ordered, can you describe the process for us to purchase the optional self-level software?
Thanks, looking forward to the release date!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My understanding is the 270 will come with self level / bailout ..the stand alone RX will not ..I would like to know this fact myself . He says " When it is included with the Blade 270 CFX, it WILL include bailout." ..I take that as it will also be with self level . I am just wondering if it will be the same as with their other RX's such as the 636a , 636h , and 636 .
TooTall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would like to know the answer to that myself. It sounds like the version with the 270CFX will include bailout but NOT self-level, so the question becomes, can you add the full SAFE package to the 270CFX receiver like you can with the open stock receiver?
Old 10-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sent Brian a PM hoping he will find time to answer. If I do get a response, I'll share on this thread.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian James View Post

SAFE software is BOTH self level and bailout.

SAFE software WILL be included on the 270CFX.

SAFE software is an UPGRADE on open stock AR7210BX FBL Receivers.
PawnDMonium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to the 270CFX manual, it will not have self-level, only bailout. There is no description of self-level, and there are no settings on the transmitter to send a flight mode selection to the receiver. The Gear channel is used for the bailout/panic.

That's consistent with what Brian said. If you didn't notice, Brian is a Blade employee.

Thus the question about adding full SAFE (with self-level) to an AR7210BX that's included with a BNF model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in