Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 05:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New 230S - tail noise / twitching - already replaced ESC and Tail Motor -

Hello all! I recently posted elsewhere about my trials with a new 230S...came DOA and I opted to replace parts. This is my first true heli...

Long story short, new ESC and new tail motor were installed and I think I'm good to go for a hopeful flight this weekend. I did notice that it seems like the tail motor makes a noise my untrained ears were unprepared for...like a deeper whirring, almost creaking noise separately audible from the main motor noise which sounds as I expected. There are times when it is quieter but mostly it makes the deeper whirring noise.

I isolated the sound by disconnecting the main motor. When I do that and give right rudder the heli spins, as you would expect, but it almost makes a stuttering sound and spins in a stuttered fashion which makes me think there is slipping or binding, but I suppose the motor could be working improperly as well. It just doesn't seem right.

When I hold the tail motor I don't seem to have any play (ability to spin) the tail rotor blades on the shaft, which was one concern I had, that the blade itself was slipping. If it is, then maybe I'm not holding hard enough...but I don't think so. I checked that the blade is on correctly, smooth side away from motor. Anything else to check being loose or tight? Any other suggestions? Maybe this is normal?

I've never had a working one so I'm not sure if it's normal or not. Definitely not looking to lift it off at all if it's not normal. Think HH would do the right thing and replace/fix at this point?
vaca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Until you lift off the friction of the skids on the ground is in play. The 230S motors have a distinct "whirring" noise which is normal. As it speeds up and down the pitch of the sound will change. Unlike a belt or torque tube tail a motorized tail uses fixed pitch blades. The motor speeds up or slows down to counter the rotational force. It allows or counters that rotational force to move the tail. It does not reverse the motor spin direction or push the tail both directions. I hope this makes sense.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That stinks that you have had problems with this heli. Is there any way you could post a video of your tail issue? That might help.
plus many others 420 and under
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is hard to tell if you have an issue if you haven't tried to fly it yet. If the hub is tight on the shaft and the tail rotor is on correctly, and aligned in the hub correctly, not much else you can do to see if it is working correctly other than fly it. FWIW, these tail motors are pretty decent motors, although I have gotten a bad one right out of the pkg. The only part that really sucks about them is the wiring. Make sure you didn't damage the wire in any way as the silicone insulation is very tender and you can easily cut it and cause problems with that.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guessing HH sent you the new motor and esc since it was brand new. What did they say when you called tech support after the new motor and esc didn't fix your issue?
Have you tried to hover it at all??

Other than the tail prop there's nothing that can slip/ect since there are no mechanics involved so other than making sure the prop is installed correctly and the tail motor is spinning in the right direction, all you can really do is call tech support and have them take care of you.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn it Ben you out typed me again.

Yeah, what he said^^
Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Damn it Ben you out typed me again.

Yeah, what he said^^
And you weren't even long-winded in your response...

Maybe you need some coffee

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well not as long winded as usual anyways...lol

Am getting ready for work with only half of my morning coffee in me so far but maybe that's what kept my response short
Old 01-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

If I hold it in my hand the stuttering continues...
Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Until you lift off the friction of the skids on the ground is in play. The 230S motors have a distinct "whirring" noise which is normal. As it speeds up and down the pitch of the sound will change. Unlike a belt or torque tube tail a motorized tail uses fixed pitch blades. The motor speeds up or slows down to counter the rotational force. It allows or counters that rotational force to move the tail. It does not reverse the motor spin direction or push the tail both directions. I hope this makes sense.
It also does the stuttering if I hold it in my hand...I'll try to post a video today or tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indokast View Post
That stinks that you have had problems with this heli. Is there any way you could post a video of your tail issue? That might help.
I will have to get one of those video sharing accounts unless there's a way to do it here. Probably tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personally I would call HH tech support. There job is diagnosing and curing problems with these models all day, every day so they've heard it all. They might know off the top of their head what's going on and tell you what to do and get what you need if anything on its way to your front door free of charge.

If you get one of the having a bad day a-holes they have floating around, hang up and dial again later for a second opinion.

Even sounds like there may not be an issue at all. Since it's not in the air, it's not seeing the response it expects so it's not responding normally.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't sound like anything is wrong. The tail motor makes funny sounds normally, the only way to know if something's wrong is to hover it. Improper gains can make the funny sounds worse.

I guess once your video is available it'll be easier to help
Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaca View Post

When I hold the tail motor I don't seem to have any play (ability to spin) the tail rotor blades on the shaft, which was one concern I had, that the blade itself was slipping. If it is, then maybe I'm not holding hard enough...but I don't think so. I checked that the blade is on correctly, smooth side away from motor. Anything else to check being loose or tight? Any other suggestions? Maybe this is normal?

I've never had a working one so I'm not sure if it's normal or not. Definitely not looking to lift it off at all if it's not normal. Think HH would do the right thing and replace/fix at this point?
Please make clearer what you mean by when you hold the tail motor it has no play. Do you mean when the heli is off you can't turn the tail rotor by hand ? If that's the case then the tail motor is binding. It should turn freely. If not then there is something binding it.Or do you mean that when you hold the heli in your hand and throttle it up the tail motor doesn't always spin ? In this latter case that is normal. If you suddenly rotate the heli the tail motor should spin up because it is trying to counter what it sees as torque about it's axis.Of, if you apply rudder the tail motor should spin as its trying to turn on it's axis.Can you hover a CP heli ? If you can then I would try and give it a test hover.
Desmond is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default i think i got it figured

im new to cp helicopters and I wasn't aware that the tail rotor works differently than those fixed pitch cheap ones it counters the rotational force of the main rotor blades and the speed of the tail rotor increases with the throttle to counter the rotational force I lifted it off the floor in my kitchen for a few seconds and it seemed to do well im tyring to learn this by myself and its very scarry but I think ive figured out theres nothing wrong with the helicopter it sounds like this guys got the same problem I had which is there is no problem
dbcooper1225 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 02:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Blade 230S ist a beginner's modell. Of course it's not perfect, but You should thrust it. If might seem to do some strange noise, swashplate tilt and similar while on the ground, but once in the air it performs just fine, usually.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 230 has a horrible tail twitch/wag but she still flies like I'd expect a heli to fly. The noise it makes is definitely strange to me, but I assume that's normal as all flight characteristics are good with mine. I even managed to go inverted... once. The second time I tried it ended horribly but that was pilot error!
c4r0n1x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in