Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2020, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is this normal? Bent main shaft or damaged bearing?

My 230 S V2 is experiencing significant vibration (can't even take off without it trying to tip over). I had crash recently which slightly bent the tail boom. I've since managed to straighten the tail boom and checked the main shaft. The main shaft rolled on the table without wobbling.

However, the main gear seems to wobble when I spool up (without main blades attached). I would appreciate your view on what the issue might be. A short clip of the main gear rotating at very low speed here. I'm just not sure if the slight wobble is normal and acceptable. If it's not normal, then do you think it's the bearing that's damage?

Is the wobble normal? Blade 230 S V2 (0 min 46 sec)

Thanks in advance.
TedAud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 05:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

that looks normal to me. Mine isn't perfectly flat either.
SAB Goblin 500 Sport
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can actually just push it back level. They flex some.
JohnCl is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine looks significant better, even not perfect. Check gear mesh in different positions. And take away the rotor head and look at the end of the spindle, should run without excenter.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

To clarify, it's not just an unlevel wobble. It is also wobbling side to side.

I'll check the gear mesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fox View Post
Mine looks significant better, even not perfect. Check gear mesh in different positions. And take away the rotor head and look at the end of the spindle, should run without excenter.
Can you please explain what you mean by the last sentence?

Thanks all.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

He means with the head off, spin the shaft by giving the heli some throttle and see if the shaft is really straight by look at the end of the shaft from the top.
A run out caliper would be the true way to tell if there is runout.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...yABEgK_VfD_BwE

You can also spin up and touch the side of the shaft at the top. If the shaft is not straight by any amount you'll feel something like you would if some one was swing in and out with a club.

You could also have bent the feathering shaft which will cause problems like you describe, although it sounds pretty violent.

Checking the pinion/main gear mesh like others have said is very important.........too tight in one spot and loose in the opposite spot on the gear can cause shaking too.
The_Fox likes this.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check your main shaft bearings for notchiness. Especially check the one just above the plastic main gear. It looks kind of wonky in that area.
I’d also look at the plastic main gear itself to make sure it wasn’t stretched/bent near the main shaft hole area. Lastly, although unlikely check the motor shaft and pinion to make sure they didn’t take any abuse and they still turn true.
onepiece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2020, 05:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check the hub on the main gearbox motor bent too.
xJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2020, 06:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll try and report back on how I go.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also check for a bent feathering shaft.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Feathering shaft is not bent. I've rolled it on the table and there's no wobble.

Took the head off and went on very low throttle, but can't really tell if it's normal or off center.

What I would like to know is whether the tail behaviour is normal. At very low throttle speed, if I gently move the tail anti clockwise, the tail spools up and vibrates. This is similar to the vibration I experienced when trying to take off.

Is the tail 'stutter' normal? Short video to donstrate.

Is the stuttering tail motor normal? (0 min 29 sec)
Old 05-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update: I removed the main shaft and gear completely and the vibration (stutter?) on the tail was just as bad, of not worse. So I think the issue is tail related. I have a new tail boom so will try that. A new tail motor is coming in the mail. The tail rotor is already new as the old one exploded when I was trying to take off (probably due to this vibration).
Old 05-17-2020, 12:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update 2: Replaced tail boom and this is the test result when moving the tail at low throttle. The main shaft and gear were removed in this test.

Is this normal? I'm too afraid to try and fly. This bird has been so much pain to be honest. I've spent ages trying to get the radio programmed (on OpenTX, predominantly challenges with setting the flight modes and panic switch), and spent a heap on parts. All for just a couple of flights. The Blade Nano S2 on the other hand has been much easier and less painful (though setting up the radio still took a lot of research to get right).

Tail rotor / motor stutter? (0 min 26 sec)

By the way, here's a photo of the old tail boom. Was the set screw over-tightened? The mark is quite deep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail boom.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	859195

Last edited by TedAud; 05-17-2020 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Added photo of old tail boom
Old 05-17-2020, 01:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That sounds just like my old 230 S V2. Laughing Hyena. Always worked great for me.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you saying that the behaviour in this video is known as "laughing Hyena" and is normal for the 230 S V2?

Laughing Hyena? (0 min 50 sec)

Notice at the start of the video that the front pushrod vibrates left and right. Is that normal too?

I've now replaced the main gear, main shaft and tail boom.

I'm just too paranoid to fly this thing until I get confirmation that the behaviour is normal.

P/s: After all that laughing hyena, I noticed that tail rotor is now cracked. It was brand new with zero flight time (other than the 'laughing'). Is that caused by over-tightening or too much 'laughing'? I was careful not to over tighten, but clearly still too much. How do you guys get it just right?

I can't seem to upload the photo of the cracked tail rotor as I'm getting the error message that "I have already attached this file in thread". Guess things just aren't going my way today...

Last edited by TedAud; 05-17-2020 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: Added photo of cracked tail rotor
Old 05-17-2020, 06:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know I never really paid that close of attention. Its just a little cheap helicopter. It makes all kinds of funny noises ... especially in the tail area. just stand back when you take off and be ready with TH in case it goes nuts. Honestly though, I didn't pay that close of attention to mine I guess. I don't think I ever spooled it on the bench. I will say the noisy tail sounds normal and that non-true gear looks like mine. whether the linkage on mine shakes or not, I couldn't say.
SAB Goblin 500 Sport
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. My concern is actually more on the "stutter" or laugh as you call it. It seems to me that it's overreacting to vibration, but I really don't know because I haven't actually had any flights with this. I've only had a few hovers and don't recall it behaving this way.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine did it to some extent in a hover. Here’s a video I made last year. Noisy little bigger. It sounded like the P gain was too high, but it didn’t behave like it. It flew great.

230 S V2 with MicroHeli CF Oceania Fuselage (5 min 43 sec)
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedAud View Post
Thanks. My concern is actually more on the "stutter" or laugh as you call it. It seems to me that it's overreacting to vibration, but I really don't know because I haven't actually had any flights with this. I've only had a few hovers and don't recall it behaving this way.
I just pulled the main blades off my 230 and replicated you laughing video. My tail does the same exact thing. It the tail gyro reacting to the heli being rotated. Normal.

I did not have servo link movement like you do. Check your swashplate and make sure it's not separated.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a relief to hear that the tail chirping / stuttering is normal.

What do you mean by swashplate separating please?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in