Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RCFred
  • 1 Post By bmlasater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail Boom Support. Worthwhile?

Seen a few post mention tail shake during spool up. Before I rip my V2 apart, I took a video of my V1 with "Tail Support" and my V2 without. There is a difference, but to be fair, I should have done both tests with the one copter. Oh well, too late, it's all apart and going into a new frame.

230S Boom Support (1 min 53 sec)
Flyguytruckguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The heli is already tail heavy. Being weak on power, even a little weight matters, if you want to do more than circuits. The heli flies better w/o its light canopy, for instance. As well, this isn't a precision heli, so I'd not worry about spool up tail shake. My tail doesn't shake like your video, so may have a bent part.
Thickfog likes this.
RCFred is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I agree with you 100%. Just trying to show that the tail boom holder does allow the tail to flex as was questioned by several members. It flies fine stock and is not worth upgrading for the most part as it is a heli to learn on before moving on. The V2 has never been crashed or even landed hard and the vibration is just normal resonance that sets up in the frame. You probably wouldn't notice it if you spooled up faster rather than the extended fashion in the video.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Transferring the vibes from the boom flex back to the frame via using supports may cause unwanted flybarless reaction. The pid loops were programmed and tuned with no tail boom braces. But with such a resilient plastic frame, it will probably be fine either way.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
Transferring the vibes from the boom flex back to the frame via using supports may cause unwanted flybarless reaction. The pid loops were programmed and tuned with no tail boom braces. But with such a resilient plastic frame, it will probably be fine either way.
I had those supports on my v2 without any problem, but I didn't have that vibration either.
blarks is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am working on an idea of holding the tail boom in two rubber grommets on my Rakon framed model. The original mount hasn't survived a tail first crash. I found some grommets that are a good push fit on the boom and I will make up a plate that will screw to the frame and hold the two grommets about an 1" apart. The grommets allow a small amount of tail boom movement but should be good at damping vibration to the frame. If this works the boom will be a simple push fit and if the boom gets hit again it is free to slide in the grommets. OK there is a small weight penalty but I am not a good enough 3D flier to need ultimate performance.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I lost orientation way, way out and hit throttle hold at 50 feet. Tail boom survived, canopy didn't.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyway, vibration and supports are a moot point now. New frame! Funny thing is that, those are the same blades, both Main and Tail. Almost no vibration, and no tail boom support.Not the same RPM range either, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S3XyhpqdCi4f5wh66

Last edited by Flyguytruckguy; 06-19-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Old 06-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguytruckguy View Post
I lost orientation way, way out and hit throttle hold at 50 feet. Tail boom survived, canopy didn't.
I would say avoid flying too far out its so easy to lose the orientation and in my case even the heli. I lost a 130X a few years ago - its a lot of money down the drain. I find I can keep the 230 nice and close as its a docile bird.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
One mod worthwhile is carbon tail boom....couple with carbon tail prop and difference is noteable..

John.
Flyguytruckguy likes this.
bmlasater is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlasater View Post
Hi,
One mod worthwhile is carbon tail boom....couple with carbon tail prop and difference is noteable..

John.
Except,... when you crash, the carbon boom is much more likely to break, which will likely break the wires, where the metal boom will not.
RCFred is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in