Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceshuttle View Post
I did many trim flights before I was satisfied. I found that a short trim flight was better for me. I went maybe 30 seconds at the most and sat the 230 back down as soon as possible. Pushed the Bind button and waited for the swash to jump, then did a test flight and still had a slight drift to the left in normal mode, but IU 1 and IU 2 were dead on. I noticed that when I tried the longer trim flights it seemed like it would jump out of trim flight mode by itself and do a sudden hard drift to the left, but I could still grab it back with cyclic and get it back in a hover. I don't fly in normal mode at all, so I'm happy. Earlier on in my rc heli career I stayed in normal mode and was terrified to try IU 1 or IU 2. As I got a little more stick time I now feel the opposite and would much rather fly in IU 1 or IU 2. Anyways, this is just another opinion and I'm not trying to say who is right or wrong, this is just what worked best for me. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdon View Post
As mentioned earlier I don't have a 230S to try my 50% flat pitch curve idea but just to clarify - the 50% pitch setting on a programmable TX (assuming the mechanical side - swash level at mid stick - is set up right) should result in zero degree blade pitch and close to no lift.
As bill_van says, if all you are looking for is rotational mass, the stock blades should be OK. Anyone feel like doing research? As always the suggestion comes with the usual 'try at your own risk'.

I guess I've never quite got a grip on how the 'no flight trim flight' can work. I've always assumed that the heli had to be in flight; I guess I'm about to find out - my 200SRX is having a hissy fit.
Spaceshuttle - ALL input from those in the field is ALWAYS welcome!

It's funny, each and every heli has a personality of it's own and may require slightly different setups to accommodate the pilot. I was pleasantly surprised when I flipped into S1 and then S2 and the heli didn't move at all! Just sat there until I gave it some stick and she responded exactly like it should. I don't know how long the data stream will continue to log flight info before it starts to overwrite previous data. Probably is looking for a particular series of events to coordinate with the gyro(s) so it may be able to be done in a shorter flight. At any rate, I'm glad you got it flying to your preference.

Newdon,

I wish I had more info as to how the software actually handled all the aspects of stabilized flight data so I could make a more educated guess. I'm guessing that the actual blade pitch position never enters into the equation. On the 200srx, it probably doesn't since the pitch is fixed.... however, the 230 may have a totally different routine.

If you need detailed instructions on the No Flight Trim Flight for your 200sr x send me a PM. I've typed it on several threads and saved a copy so I wouldn't have to type it again. I will forward it to you if you like.

Off thread subject but on the general subject..... I scratch built a Rakon 200SR X 5-blade Heli that had the worse wobble you can imagine. So bad that I had to use every skill I have just to lift off, hover, and then land. Checked everything multiple times and there was nothing visible. All parts were new out of the package but just could not get a smooth flight. She looked like a wet dog shaking off water! Except worse! SO, I did my trim flight method after exhausting all other methods and upon completion, took her out. She flew like a dream!

It's my standard operating procedure to do the No Flight Trim Flight on all my 200SRx helis (I have 9, in every configuration you can imagine) and they all fly smooth as butter!) 5-blade flips and rolls sound like nothing you've ever heard coming from the sky!

I was disappointed when it didn't work on the 230 but the live flight did so there is always a solution, you just have to find it!

Have not had a chance to try to 50% pitch curve setting but I will. I hate it when work gets in the way of my hobbies.

To all the others that have posted in this thread, keep the ideas coming. If you can get your 230 S to fly like mine, you will be a very happy camper!
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Stuck

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyglw View Post
Hi Bill really helpful post as my instruction manual did not even have the trim instructions. I am using a DX7s and my 230s flys very stable except it drifts backwards, if I release the cyclic stick. Will your trimming method work if I have to use forward stick to keep it in one spot during trimming. I do not want to risk other issues as it is reasonably
controllable. Thanks
Yes, it should work! Try to keep the stick movements to a minimum and as smooth as possible. Windless days are best but the worse that can happen is you will have to perform the procedure again. Some have had success with a shorter trim flight time, Since I was already in the mode, I just kept it in the air. Figured the data stream would either stop logging or over-write it's self. Which ever it does, good data should be applied on the save! Please post your results or questions should you have any.

Last edited by Bill_Van; 09-10-2015 at 05:38 PM..
Old 09-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Way to many extra steps, just follow the blade trim flight instructions and do this in calm conditions.

Make any necessary corrections to keep the rotor disc flat in a stationary hover and the trim flight algorithm will figure it all out.

If you have a Spektrum telemetry enabled transmitter you can go to the flight log screen and the H: parameter shows you how many seconds of "good" trim flight data you have collected. If your model suffers from a lot of vibration (aka after a crash) you may find the seconds do not increase, keep in mind its only recording valid data.

Based on the algorithm between 30 and 60 seconds is plenty of data.

Brian Bremer
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
Brian Bremer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I took my 230 S out for the second time this morning. Earlier in the week, I struggled with the first couple of flights. The helicopter consistently wanted to pull left and forward in self-leveling (Normal) flight mode. I used trims once in the air (not the right solution) to get it level and could then fly around in Normal and Stunt modes. Obviously, landing the helicopter and changing the battery reset the trims and I'd have to repeat the whole exercise for the next flight.

I came here to HeliFreak looking for help and found my way to the "230 S Advanced Settings Addendum" posted on Horizon's product page.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH1...ndum_Multi.pdf

This morning I went out and carefully worked my way through checking the servo neutral positions (no changes needed), swash level (again, no changes needed) and then a trim flight.

The trim flight appeared to work initially. I followed the instructions, swash wiggle to enter trim flight mode, solid 60 second hover in calm conditions, gentle landing and swash bump to save settings. I then proceeded to a test flight. Everything seemed fine in all three flight modes, TX trims all set to zero, panic mode working properly.

However, after changing the battery and proceeding to second flight the helicopter again pulled left and forward.

Unless someone can point to another issue, it is my belief that although the trim flight does work as designed. There may be either a firmware or hardware issue with writing the trim flight values to non-volatile memory in the controller. That could explain the units passing QC at the factory but many of us having poor out-of-box experiences.

I am open to any ideas or suggestions.

Tim

tdriedger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdriedger View Post
Obviously, landing the helicopter and changing the battery reset the trims and I'd have to repeat the whole exercise for the next flight.
Hi Tim,

What radio are you using? I'm asking since my DX6G2 keeps the trim settings in memory even if I turn it off. When flying multiple batteries, I usually leave the radio powered and just replace the battery in the heli with a fresh one. I initialize, check servo function, spool-up, and lift off and when I have trims set other than -0-, they are still set and applied to the model.

After I hear from you, I'll read further down your post.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

JR X9303 - I can see the trim values on the display.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
JR X9303 - I can see the trim values on the display.
Do they save to each model?
Old 09-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, but I'm staying on the same model.

I just got off the phone with HH support. They sent a shipping label for the heli. There is definitely something not right going on and they want to look at the failing units.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, but I'm staying on the same model.

I just got off the phone with HH support. They sent a shipping label for the heli. There is definitely something not right going on and they want to look at the failing units.

Good! HH customer service has always been the best. Hope they get it back to you quickly! Let us know when it returns.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool Trim Flight

Have you considered taking off the blades and doing a static trim flight procedure on a level bench. You can put a little mechanical bias on the main gear with your finger. Worked well for the 200srx.][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
crsorrell0653 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsorrell0653 View Post
Have you considered taking off the blades and doing a static trim flight procedure on a level bench. You can put a little mechanical bias on the main gear with your finger. Worked well for the 200srx.][/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did consider the static method but I really like to keep the heli as complete as possible when performing these procedures.

I'm a little confused after watching the HH video showing the 230 S hovering and the a trim flight! As I recently posted, my 230 S is flying so much better than the one in the video! Almost to the point where I wonder if HH realizes the true potential of the heli when it is fine tuned!

I have always had exceptional service form HH and hope this will continue but that video doesn't even come close to how mine is flying!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran through the trim flight routine one more time this morning with no luck. Heli is now packed up and getting shipped back to HH. We'll see what they say...

I am sure that once the controller issues are worked out this will be a great flying helicopter. It's a great size with good power. I actually have a Blade SR in pieces that I wanted to convert to flybarless with a brushless tail!

Old 09-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I ran through the trim flight routine one more time this morning with no luck. Heli is now packed up and getting shipped back to HH. We'll see what they say...

I am sure that once the controller issues are worked out this will be a great flying helicopter. It's a great size with good power. I actually have a Blade SR in pieces that I wanted to convert to flybarless with a brushless tail!
Must be a defective receiver since it won't save the data. Turn around time is usually pretty fast. I bet they just send you a new heli! Hopefully you'll get one that works correctly. Not a good start to a new product but HH will make good on the purchase! Looking forward to your impressions when you receive the replacement or repair!
Old 09-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 230 S

Although my helicopter doesn't have this issue, I'm sure this helped a lot of people. Thanks again. I do have one question though, in the manual it says when the receiver is initialized the light turns solid blue, mine turns solid orange/red. I don't think it's a problem but let me know if your helicopter does the same. Thanks again for the info!!!
heliflyerpro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliflyerpro View Post
Although my helicopter doesn't have this issue, I'm sure this helped a lot of people. Thanks again. I do have one question though, in the manual it says when the receiver is initialized the light turns solid blue, mine turns solid orange/red. I don't think it's a problem but let me know if your helicopter does the same. Thanks again for the info!!!
Hello!
Looks like they picked up the text from a previous print. The orange/red LED is correct. I've also discovered the the LVC is indicated by a blinking red LED. 230 S will need to be re initialized to clear this condition. Good Flying!
Old 10-05-2015, 03:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got mine today!!!

Charged up the Lipo and took it out to the backyard. On spool up the swash wanted to lean hard to left! once it got light on the skids it wasnt as bad, and as soon as it got off the ground it was a lot better, it was manageable!!!

The heli wanted to drift left and forward but with enough cyclic input i could hold a hover..... So with this i followed Bill_van instructions and wow what an improvement, did a second one and again heaps better, and that's in the wind!! in a tiny backyard.....

It's a solid Heli and im looking forward to take it out and put some packs through it....
Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Van View Post
Must be a defective receiver since it won't save the data. Turn around time is usually pretty fast. I bet they just send you a new heli! Hopefully you'll get one that works correctly. Not a good start to a new product but HH will make good on the purchase! Looking forward to your impressions when you receive the replacement or repair!
HH did replace my original 230S. I just received the replacement today. I'll let you know if the out-of-box experience is any better this time!

Old 10-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine is going to have to get sent in as well. Curious, did HH make you guys submit a repair claim form on their website? I just have a funny feeling that after I send it in, they are gonna charge me for any repairs!
frisbee99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 08:11 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbee99 View Post
Mine is going to have to get sent in as well. Curious, did HH make you guys submit a repair claim form on their website? I just have a funny feeling that after I send it in, they are gonna charge me for any repairs!
Probably a good idea to do the online form. Then include a copy with the heli when you send it in. Call them and explain the issue.... they might send you a pre-paid shipping label.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in