Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

There is still some useful information in the original post but a firmware upgrade to 4.23 and a calibration process should give even better results. If your 230S is not rock solid after this, do a trim flight which should resolve all drifting issues provided the heli does not have a mechanical problem.
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Van View Post
First, let me pass on my thoughts and prayers for those involved in the attack in Paris. God be with you and your countrymen.

Regarding the 230S, do the update, then the calibration procedure, then a trim flight if necessary. Be sure to follow the instructions closely when doing the calibration procedure. Also, make sure you are in S1 (flight mode 1) when you perform the calibration flight.

I just flew a new 230S after updating and calibrating and found no trim flight was required. Heli was rock solid. S1 and S2 were also rock solid with no drifting at all. Good Luck, I'll try to follow the thread more carefully and watch for your post in case you need further information.

If you don't have the calibration instructions, I posted the English version a few posts up. You should be able to get the French version from the Horizon Hobby web site. Good Day!
Ok, so i bought the as3x cable and did the update then the calibration, and it is OK !!! just a litttle move leftward which can be cancelled by trimming 4 or 5 dgrees to right, but it is a new heli ! I can really train myself ! Thank you for your advices !
fareneight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fareneight View Post
Ok, so i bought the as3x cable and did the update then the calibration, and it is OK !!! just a litttle move leftward which can be cancelled by trimming 4 or 5 dgrees to right, but it is a new heli ! I can really train myself ! Thank you for your advices !
I'm glad I could help! This really is a cool heli. Lots to learn on and good flying in between training sessions.

If the left drift bothers you, do a trim flight (or another one) and see if it does not cure it. Again, don't hit throttle hold until after you save or the data will not get written to memory.

Good Luck and Good Flying! And a Merry Christmas too!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for this thread, helped me sort my B230S perfect.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AR636 and servo leads

I need the order of servo leads to the AR636 so I can rebuild. Any help?
emaycen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking for some advice!

Hello!

Cards on the table, I am a new pilot. I have a few smaller Blade helis, but this is the first time I've stepped into something larger. I was really excited and now I'm just feeling irritated and lost.

I read your post on how exactly to do a trim flight on the 230 S, because I have a problem with mine that I have been laboring to fix.

Now the whole "don't turn on hold mode" thing is interesting, that explains why trim flight appeared to do nothing.

I do have a question though. I'm not seeing a small drift on my heli. I spin it up slowly on the ground, making minor corrections to keep it level as the head builds speed. I lift it off and to keep it from drifting to the right I have to apply damn near 50% of my stick travel to the left.

It's such a severe drift that if the heli starts to get away from me I am terrified that I'm going to crash (and I did after the 2nd trim flight attempt)

Now, I've inspected the heli and it appears that everything is intact and all I got out of it was a scuffed up rotor blade, nothing serious.

My question is, is that much drift "normal" and can it actually be corrected with a trim flight?

What is the trim flight actually doing internally in the heli computer?
Thalandin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Maybe this will help!

Sorry for your troubles but I believe a little info will solve your issue.

First, what version of firmware does your 230S have? There was an update that allowed another calibration procedure which solved most of the drift if not all.

You will need a cable if you don't have version 4.22. This cable will be used for future updates so it's a good investment.

Pass on info regarding the above and I'll get the part numbers and links to get your heli flying right!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Read this to get started

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=718880

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=718950
Old 02-21-2016, 02:38 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 230s, gone back to HH for now!

Hi, new to this forum and fairly new to RC helis. Thought I should share my experiences of the 230s. Bought the 230s about 2 weeks ago. And as commonly documented on this site (thanks to so many of you helping out with posts about trim flights / firmware updates and calibrations!!) I was experiencing drift. What really baffled me: the drift varied in direction and severity after every trim flight! Bought the cable to check firmware, it was running 4.23. I proceeded to do the calibration again. No luck.

Having spoken with HH in UK I was told to send in. They have been really helpful so far. I will post an update once I have the heli back - hopefully within 7/10 days. After reading several posts - seems like I may have had one of the rare 'bad ones'. Can't wait to get it back in the air because in intermediate and advanced modes it flew brilliantly.

Anyone else had to send back for HH to take a look and it get fixed?

Thanks again gang for all the help so far. Happy flying!
BenAtkinsonUK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenAtkinsonUK View Post
Hi, new to this forum and fairly new to RC helis. Thought I should share my experiences of the 230s. Bought the 230s about 2 weeks ago. And as commonly documented on this site (thanks to so many of you helping out with posts about trim flights / firmware updates and calibrations!!) I was experiencing drift. What really baffled me: the drift varied in direction and severity after every trim flight! Bought the cable to check firmware, it was running 4.23. I proceeded to do the calibration again. No luck.

Having spoken with HH in UK I was told to send in. They have been really helpful so far. I will post an update once I have the heli back - hopefully within 7/10 days. After reading several posts - seems like I may have had one of the rare 'bad ones'. Can't wait to get it back in the air because in intermediate and advanced modes it flew brilliantly.

Anyone else had to send back for HH to take a look and it get fixed?

Thanks again gang for all the help so far. Happy flying!

Welcome Ben!

I had to send both my 230s back to HH USA and they were replaced. Upon arrival of the new helis, I took them out of the box and upgraded the firmware, did the calibration and took to the field! Have never looked back!! These 2 are almost my favorite helis to fly. Quite beautiful in scale flight and graceful when not doing hard core 3d. Sometimes I like a little more relaxed flying but still want the capability to scat when the heart desires!

My sticky still offers some information but when the firmware is upgraded, most does not apply and really isn't necessary. There is good food for thought for the pilot having trouble..... thanks for posting!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Welcome Ben!

I had to send both my 230s back to HH USA and they were replaced. Upon arrival of the new helis, I took them out of the box and upgraded the firmware, did the calibration and took to the field! Have never looked back!! These 2 are almost my favorite helis to fly. Quite beautiful in scale flight and graceful when not doing hard core 3d. Sometimes I like a little more relaxed flying but still want the capability to scat when the heart desires!

My sticky still offers some information but when the firmware is upgraded, most does not apply and really isn't necessary. There is good food for thought for the pilot having trouble..... thanks for posting!
Great to hear you finally got 2 working helis, thanks Bill - promising! Only had a chance to take mine out for one 'proper' flight before it was sent back to HH, and whilst only flying circles and figure 8's - it seemed powerful and tackled the stiff breeze surprisingly well. Will update when I hear back!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just curious, why don't you just do it, secured to a level surface, without the blades? I used to do it every time I needed to do a trim flight on my 200 SRX. It's only a minute, so the motor won't get that much stress, and it stays PERFECTLY level.

Just a thought.

Former heli pilot.
KevinPJF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Short update: HH have had my 230s for 8 days and I've called and apparently its a 2 week turn around time at the mo. Hopefully back this week then!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPJF View Post
Just curious, why don't you just do it, secured to a level surface, without the blades? I used to do it every time I needed to do a trim flight on my 200 SRX. It's only a minute, so the motor won't get that much stress, and it stays PERFECTLY level.

Just a thought.
Kevin,

Works on 200srx but not as well on the 230S. Also, leaving the blades on when performing any trim flight allows the systems to recognize potential vibration problems. The 230S handles the swash completely different than most other CP helis so I've found when a trim flight is required, a live flight produces the best results. Thanks for posting your thoughts!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Kevin,

Works on 200srx but not as well on the 230S. Also, leaving the blades on when performing any trim flight allows the systems to recognize potential vibration problems. The 230S handles the swash completely different than most other CP helis so I've found when a trim flight is required, a live flight produces the best results. Thanks for posting your thoughts!
Alrighty then. I put five packs through mine the day after I got it in 10 - 15 mph winds (from my 6:00). Flew pretty good except on take off. It tries to tip aggressively forward and slightly right just as it's lifting off, but solid as can be once it's airborne. Wind does push it around a bit, but that's understandable with a smaller model.

Once the weather settles down again I'll video the take-off anomaly.

Former heli pilot.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:25 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Alrighty then. I put five packs through mine the day after I got it in 10 - 15 mph winds (from my 6:00). Flew pretty good except on take off. It tries to tip aggressively forward and slightly right just as it's lifting off, but solid as can be once it's airborne. Wind does push it around a bit, but that's understandable with a smaller model.

Once the weather settles down again I'll video the take-off anomaly.

Have you done the firmware update and associated calibration process? While HH does not give specifics as to what the update actually addressed, seems that most 230S owners had the tipping issue solved after doing said update. As you already know, it will require the cable but IMHO, it's worth it! I can't say enough about how good mine fly after doing the firmware/calibration. To my demise, I'm a perfectionist in both work and play and won't settle for good enough when a little effort yields such outstanding results!

Check yours when it's not windy (they do handle the wind pretty good) and consider the info above. On a final note, I like to "scale" fly on takeoff and landing unless I'm showing off , properly setup, the 230S does it quite nicely. If you would rather pop it off the ground to avoid the tipping, to each their own! Either way, I would never criticize anybody's flying style as long as they are having fun!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got one and it has a super aggressive tilt to the right during take off. Firmware version is latest (4.23). Hoping calibration and trim flight will help. Not too worried if it doesn't, because taking off in IU1 is perfectly stable.
slogoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Have you done the firmware update and associated calibration process? While HH does not give specifics as to what the update actually addressed, seems that most 230S owners had the tipping issue solved after doing said update. As you already know, it will require the cable but IMHO, it's worth it! I can't say enough about how good mine fly after doing the firmware/calibration. To my demise, I'm a perfectionist in both work and play and won't settle for good enough when a little effort yields such outstanding results!

Check yours when it's not windy (they do handle the wind pretty good) and consider the info above. On a final note, I like to "scale" fly on takeoff and landing unless I'm showing off , properly setup, the 230S does it quite nicely. If you would rather pop it off the ground to avoid the tipping, to each their own! Either way, I would never criticize anybody's flying style as long as they are having fun!
Alright. I got some reading to do. haha Firmware? Cable? Yeah, I'm a bit behind on this one. Thanks for the input. I'll get to reading.

Former heli pilot.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Alright. I got some reading to do. haha Firmware? Cable? Yeah, I'm a bit behind on this one. Thanks for the input. I'll get to reading.

If you have a new spektrum tx with a screen, you can check the firmware version without the cable. My new 230 had latest firmware already on it.
slogoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogoat View Post
If you have a new spektrum tx with a screen, you can check the firmware version without the cable. My new 230 had latest firmware already on it.
How do you do that?
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in