Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!!
PLANETGETLOW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 230s night version and after switching out battery packs it won't initialize now. When I plug it in I get 2 beeps, then nothing. All lights are lit up but no stick movement. I've rebinded twice now

Any suggestions?
Old 10-27-2016, 02:19 AM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANETGETLOW View Post
I have a 230s night version and after switching out battery packs it won't initialize now. When I plug it in I get 2 beeps, then nothing. All lights are lit up but no stick movement. I've rebinded twice now

Any suggestions?
Is your battery bad ? Two beeps sounds like the ESC is only seeing two cells instead of three.
You should hear three beeps from the ESC and then three from the FBL I believe is normal.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 10-27-2016 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Grammar
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Copy, I'll,check that with my meter when I get home
Old 11-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also had this problem but it turned out to be my throttle trim needed to be lowered about 5 clicks, then it initialized without issue.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
mattbeau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

My brother picked up an immaculate condition 230s night flyer and Dx6i for cheap for me for Christmas, just the heli, transmitter, and batteries. What are the first things I should do and check before a hover test. It will be my first real CP Heli, others were junk, and I can fly my 200srx pretty good although I've not flown it enough yet to be comfortable in expert, which is similar to CP, cyclic wise, but not collective management. I will download and print the manual. Will the Dx6i show the firmware version? Because it is new looking does not mean someone has not monkeyed around with it mechanically or in the transmitter settings, or the firmware is newest version. So, I will be learning both before a test hover and that will be in the lowest mode after all checks and test and proper set up. I've been trying to locate someone near me to learn and fly with. I signed up on the google gps thing on here.I also want to set it up to fly mild at first, then work my way up to higher modes and transmitter settings. I sure do not want any early crashes without some real learning curve flying, so any and all comments and advise welcome. Cheers
Old 12-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scott,

Look it over closely, with NO power, see if you can move the servo arms by hand and feel for any roughness. I've had really good results from the stock servos but I don't crash very often. NEVER try to move the servos manually when powered up.

You can pull the blades and run it up looking for any vibrations. No need to go wide open, just take it up to see if she shakes.

Using a magnified light, you should check the frame for any cracks. See that all double sided tape is holding firmly, and that all motor wires are totally clear of the motor can so that they don't get chaffed. Also, while looking it over, make sure the tail rotor is "shiny side out".

I normally check that all screws are tight. Those with thread-locker (metal to metal) don't need to be turned, just make sure they are tight.

Check the mesh of the pinion to main gear. I use the paper strip method but there are many ways showing how on You-Tube.com. The main rotor should spin freely with very little drag when the gear mesh is correct.

Check the main gear to main shaft interface and see that there is no slop by holding the main gear and turning the rotor head. If there is slop, you can tighten the main gear screw but not too much as you can easily crack the gear if too tight. The head does get loose on the top of the main shaft and a little movement is OK since this is not a powerhouse heli. If you have some movement, tighten the rotor head a little until it firms up. Never over-tighten anything on this heli!

When satisfied that all is good, power it up on a level surface and see that the swash moves freely and responds to your command. Do this with throttle hold engaged. I don't think the DX6i supports telemetry so you won't be able to verify firmware version easily. More than likely, the firmware is already at 4.23 since the 230S had been out for a while before they released the Night version. At this point, don't bother to update to 4.36 until ewverything has been thoroughly checked out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I don't recommend flying without the batteries installed on the blades as the wire leads will get destroyed..... purchase a set of stock blades if you want to fly without the lighting features. They only take a minute to change out. If you want to kill all lights, trace the leads and unplug them where the "Y-adapter" splits off from the main flight battery.

Go to You-Tube and watch all of the d12bn videos! They show you almost everything you would need to know. Also, subscribe to his channel as he is always adding good information/videos relating to the 230 series of helicopters!

When you get ready to fly, spool-up slowly and be ready to correct for "tipping" while still on the ground. Small increments of cyclic will be required to get her to behave. Once in the air, this will not be a problem.

Lastly, read every post in this forum
There is something to learn from everybody that participates.

I've got to get moving..... I'll add more as I think of it since it's 25F and I'm not going to fly! Here is south Texas, 25 might as well be -100 . We don't like it this cold! Good Luck, and keep asking questions!
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great post Bill, very sound advice I reckon. The below certainly made me chuckle! (It's true though...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Van View Post
Lastly, read every post in this forum
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Testing 4 36 upgrade on AR636 for the Blade 230s (2 min 55 sec)
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had to use the Spektrum programming app. The updater app doesn't work any more for me. It will detect the cable, but will give an overcurrent error when the battery is connected. The programming app works fine. You have to do it a certain way, though, or it won't see the model. Open the app and plug the cable into the computer and 230S. Wait for the "cable connected but no device found" message. Then plug in the battery and wait for the message showing they're both connected. Then you can select "software update" from the list on the left side on the screen under "Dashboard" and go from there.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for these posts. My 230s has had right drift since I bought it. I've been thinking about doing trim flight the last few days. Interesting that it affects stability in idle up too. Great heli love it!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
gronaldo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am setting up a used 230s on a dx18 and the swash is moving in reverse, anyone have any suggestions. All servo directions are set to normal, none reversed
Drivelayer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivelayer View Post
I am setting up a used 230s on a dx18 and the swash is moving in reverse, anyone have any suggestions. All servo directions are set to normal, none reversed
Define "reverse":
1) forward cyclic input causes backwards cyclic at the swash, and left cyclic input causes right cyclic at the swash
Or
2) positive collective input causes negative blade pitch, and vice versa
Or
3) both of the above
Old 01-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivelayer View Post

Bear in mind that the 230S has trailing Edge collective - swash up = -ve pitch and vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #136 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I have three 230S' bound to my DX18 and four if you include a converted CP Pro 2 using the AR636A controller and the 230S head. All servo directions are normal. Make sure that there is no sub-trim on any of the channels just to be safe. Also, start with a clean slot or create a new model from scratch. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone know if this will work on an mcp S?

Im having a helluva time finding cal procedures for the mcps
grant22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2018, 01:22 AM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Anyone know if this will work on an mcp S?

Im having a helluva time finding cal procedures for the mcps
the 230s cal worked fine on my Nano CPS when I loaded the wrong once by accident. I imagine same would probably be true for the mcps. Panic may or may not work though
Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Geez....! TONS of info here!

I just now finished reading ALL 7 pages plus some linked pages.

As of now, my 230S is grounded. I have had it since Oct 9th and I can't fly it!

First, it flew ok, with the "chicken dance" on spool up and pretty unusual tilting to the right until more throttle calmed it down. Once it was light on the skids, it would tilt forward then I could counter and hover. Not very gracefully, mind you.

It's been bound to my DX6i, exact factory/230S manual settings. I run the little 800mAh E-Flite battery that came with my BNF version. And, I purchased and charged 5 1300mAh batteries. My maiden flight was with the E-Flite 800.

Just a slight breeze pretty much everyday since I've had this heli, except for yesterday afternoon. There was a S/SE 10mph wind, but, my little 130S flies right into that 10mph wind with NO issues. Barely drifts backwards when facing the wind.

This 230S...? It drifted (in the beginning) to the right and slight backwards. To cure these I tried moving battery forward/backwards. I tried swapping from the little 800mAh battery to the nearly double capacity 1300mAh. I bought a Blade brand fiberglass canopy, thinking adding weight to the front would cure the drift backwards. (I read these are tail heavy...)

See folk, I've tried for a NOOB!

Anyway, with the new fiberglass canopy and AFTER no less than 3 Trim Flights Monday afternoon in a slight breeze, I could not fly it around the house outside to get to the backyard! I take off in my garage, hover over the driveway and go around to my "flying field" in my backyard and the huge corn field behind my house. (fields are out now, harvest time, so there's acres of wide open space!)

My 230S couldn't stay put without ALOT of forward/left collective. So much so, when I DID let go, it almost smoked the house! So, I switched modes. (only STUNT for us DX6i users!) and when it revved up, and of course, lost "stability" for want of a better term, it flew overhead in reverse past me (I can only fly tail in!!) so I had to spin myself around, flip the tail in a hurry before it killed itself on the neighbors maple tree and tried to bring it backwards to me again.

Needless to say, it did NOT want to come back home!

I put it back in beginner/stability/SW-0 setting and tried to reverse it into a tail wind now to get it back in my yard at least. I landed it in the grass at home roughly, since the collective inputs against the tail wind weren't working as well. And it's gonna stay there.

I have submitted a HH ticket. I'm pretty sure they're gonna say what I've read here a bunch:

1. Update Firmware. (which, I'll have to buy a cable for)
2. Perform Calibration. (and, from what I've seen here, isn't meant for us DX6i users?)
3. Do a Trim Flight. (but the previous ones made what I thought was ok, WORSE! (maybe it was my new canopy? and the 230S wanted to destroy it?!))
4. MAYBE, they'll want to take a peek themselves? I guess that's ok, since I won't fly it anyway!

Crossing my fingers. And THANKS y'all for the posts here!!
Ram_Wagon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, so if y’all ain’t figured out... I say a LOT!! LoL!

But I wanna get the info out there when I’m asking for help. ☺️

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in