Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post

I suffer from getting carried away. Very passionate for the hobby and I usually over-share.

I never did check the FW version on mine. I have a DX6 and although I know of the telemetry capability for FW version display, I just ordered the cable and performed a firmware upgrade. It is up to the latest version. I forget which one is it, just picked the very latest one. But you can probably check by attempting a calibration procedure that was introduced after release and after pilots started reporting the "yaw issue". If not available you at least know you have the original release version and highly likely you should upgrade as I said before on my ranting, just to be safe.

PS. By the way if you can fly figure 8's on a CP Heli your skills are better than mine.
No apology needed, you are spending your time posting to help me and that is very much appreciated.

I very much consider myself a noob and have worked really hard in Phoenix to get this far. I am in my early 60's so training that essential muscle memory has been slow and painstaking, it has come slowly and been very frustrating at times. But I am an obstinate and determined old git, and I damned well was going to learn to fly. A long way to go yet.

I bought a second hand Blade 400 3D over a year ago for a very cheap price. It has never been crashed. I have just reached the point at which I feel I am ready to take her up for the first time. She has sat there in her box, a goal to reach for, a target to aspire to.

Indeed I bought the 230S just before Xmas in a sale but the weather has not been good enough to fly until a couple of days ago. Spring has finally arrived, flying season has started. I will be getting both in the air over the next few weeks. I hope.

I have the Blade SR Huey Gunship shell, the 230S fits in that just perfectly. After all, it is the descendant of the SR. Once I have these problems sorted out and I am confident the 230S is flying well she will go in the Huey.

I think the thing to do is just to get on with upgrading the firmware. A small spirit level is on order for the calibration process and should be here in a few day.

Thanks for your help.
naga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bye the way: "I still don't like how it flies though has a tilt to the right. ".

That tilt to the right is normal for these models.

The tail rotor will spin to counter the torque of the main blades and stop the heli from pirouetting, that is why they have these tail motor/rotors. That pushes the heli to the left so she wants fly sideways in that direction, I think it is called translational drift (correct me if I am using the wrong term).

The tilt to the right pulls the heli to the right to counter that left sideways drift. That is also why we need to give a touch of right aileron on takeoff so she takes off vertically otherwise she drifts left on takeoff. You will notice that if you just try to go straight up without that right aileron input, or the tilt to the right you commented on.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga View Post
Bye the way: "I still don't like how it flies though has a tilt to the right. ".

That tilt to the right is normal for these models.

The tail rotor will spin to counter the torque of the main blades and stop the heli from pirouetting, that is why they have these tail motor/rotors. That pushes the heli to the left so she wants fly sideways in that direction, I think it is called translational drift (correct me if I am using the wrong term).

The tilt to the right pulls the heli to the right to counter that left sideways drift. That is also why we need to give a touch of right aileron on takeoff so she takes off vertically otherwise she drifts left on takeoff. You will notice that if you just try to go straight up without that right aileron input, or the tilt to the right you commented on.
If you have a look at any real heli, they all tilt to counter the rotation of the blades and the force of the tail rotor (normally left skid down, as they rotate in the opposite direction to most rc helis). You can't defy gravity and Newtons third law - for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I'm sure Ive heard the comment in Helicopter films the phrase 'left skid down' when landing.
crsorrell0653 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most welcome!

I have had some discouraging crashes and even thought about leaving the hobby at one point. But I have a long story with helicopters as a whole that rooted this hobby deep within me so I stayed. I want to avoid that pain and frustration to any other buddy pilot as much as I can. For me, with a tight budget and time, it was very discouraging to have to spend it in costly stupid mistakes, while time went by, and my skills did not improve at all.

I suggest the ArchmageAU training I discuss in this lengthy post I wrote some time ago:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=720316

A good orientation training will help you tremendously. I find that the upright piros and all orientation hover will get you skilled enough to get out of trouble and enjoy the helicopter much more.

The Blade 400 3D did not ring a bell to me so I looked it up and it is a flybar old model. Due to the advancement of technology on helicopters, I would recommend, if at all possible, to try to upgrade that to a flybarless unit. I don't know if it is possible, I know that it definitely CAN be done with a Trex 450, by swapping just the head, blades and controller, but unsure about this heli. Why I say this is because flybar helicopters are actually much more difficult to fly than flybarless (I grew up on flybarless only so I talk from what I hear from other pilots and from what I have read). Granted, if you can get to fly it you will probably be able to fly anything else, but it is out of anything you can find out on the market today.

So if you want bigger, hold on. I would just fly the 230 S. To be perfectly honest with you (and only trying to help) I think you would have better luck (if you can) to buy a second 230 S instead of trying to fly or repair or upgrade the 400 3D. When you are really confident in all orientations, upright, then you can take a shot at the 400 3D to fly something a bit bigger (you already have it so why not). At that point you might keep it in flybar or try to get it to be converted to flybarless or get another bigger model altogether. However, be warned this hobby grows on you. Looking back I still don't know how I ended up with the 5 helis I have today.

Good luck!

Quote:
No apology needed, you are spending your time posting to help me and that is very much appreciated.

I very much consider myself a noob and have worked really hard in Phoenix to get this far. I am in my early 60's so training that essential muscle memory has been slow and painstaking, it has come slowly and been very frustrating at times. But I am an obstinate and determined old git, and I damned well was going to learn to fly. A long way to go yet.

I bought a second hand Blade 400 3D over a year ago for a very cheap price. It has never been crashed. I have just reached the point at which I feel I am ready to take her up for the first time. She has sat there in her box, a goal to reach for, a target to aspire to.

Indeed I bought the 230S just before Xmas in a sale but the weather has not been good enough to fly until a couple of days ago. Spring has finally arrived, flying season has started. I will be getting both in the air over the next few weeks. I hope.

I have the Blade SR Huey Gunship shell, the 230S fits in that just perfectly. After all, it is the descendant of the SR. Once I have these problems sorted out and I am confident the 230S is flying well she will go in the Huey.

I think the thing to do is just to get on with upgrading the firmware. A small spirit level is on order for the calibration process and should be here in a few day.

Thanks for your help.
Team Aeropanda / Skids Up Podcast host
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post

A good orientation training will help you tremendously. I find that the upright piros and all orientation hover will get you skilled enough to get out of trouble and enjoy the helicopter much more.

The Blade 400 3D did not ring a bell to me so I looked it up and it is a flybar old model. Due to the advancement of technology on helicopters, I would recommend, if at all possible, to try to upgrade that to a flybarless unit.

Looking back I still don't know how I ended up with the 5 helis I have today.

Good luck!
Those many, many hours of training in Phoenix has given me instinctive orientation awareness in upright flight. Muscle memory is such I don't think about it now, my body just does it.

The Blade 400 3D is flybarred, yes. I have no intentions of upgrading it to FBL; it is an incredible piece of mechanical engineering with an amazingly complex head and I intend to keep it as it is. Beautiful mechanism. I can always get another larger 450 sized FBL if/when I want one. Probably will to.

Five helis? I have three nano CPXs, six mCPXs, six mCPX BLs, three 130x, an SR, a 200SRX, the 400 3D and now the 230S. That does not include a crap mSR and the small Blade mCX coax I started with. Then there are all the quads and planks. I probably left something out!

Addict? Sure am!

Last edited by naga; 04-17-2016 at 04:48 AM..
Old 04-17-2016, 05:10 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still waiting for the spirit level to arrive before upgrading the firmware.

As there was no wind first thing this morning, I thought I would try a Trim Flight anyway.

No go. I cannot even get it into Trim Flight mode. I made sure my DRs were at 100% (even tried 115%), left stick to bottom left, right stick to top left (Mode 2 Tx) and pressed the Trainer button (set to Aux2); no dancing swash. Tried several times.

I have not even been able to use my Telemetry enabled DX8 and the Flight Log to determine the current firmware version. That just does not work either.

I tried a flight anyway since she was all set up and was ready to go. The usual problems on lift off with her wanting to smash into the ground before getting her into to the air, but I pop her off the ground quickly and up she goes.

She wants to go forward and to the left a lot in the air so I am using quite a bit of cyclic to hold the hover and then, suddenly, she shoots off forward and left and I cannot hold her on the cyclic so I quickly put her down. Now got a cracked canopy, great.

I have to say I am really naffed off with this. Blade has sold me a helicopter that quite frankly is not fit for purpose.

To charge us for the USB cable, which is not cheap, to correct this is really taking the mick (putting it politely). Having screwed up and released a product which out the box is unflyable then charging so much for the cable is just more profiteering.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

How did it fly in IU1 or 2? How come you cannot get into trim flight mode? Have you followed the procedures in the sticky above? Use it, not the manual.

I think you will find it hovers beautifully once you get out of beginner mode.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Oxy 2/3/4/5; SAB Kraken; XL Power 700; Jeti DS-14/DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree. I also do not like what Blade did. If not because they serve their purpose as RTF helicopters I am sure I would be happier with an Oxy 3 instead of my two Blade micros (actually that is the plan as soon as I get funds and sell the micros).

You seem to have done everything right. I am just wondering if you assigned the right channel to the trainer button. Maybe do a blade-less bench test to try to use rescue. If the swash shoots up to attempt the punch out then the rescue button assignment is correct.

If not may be a trick with your particular radio.

Quote:

As there was no wind first thing this morning, I thought I would try a Trim Flight anyway.

No go. I cannot even get it into Trim Flight mode. I made sure my DRs were at 100% (even tried 115%), left stick to bottom left, right stick to top left (Mode 2 Tx) and pressed the Trainer button (set to Aux2); no dancing swash. Tried several times.

I have not even been able to use my Telemetry enabled DX8 and the Flight Log to determine the current firmware version. That just does not work either.

I tried a flight anyway since she was all set up and was ready to go. The usual problems on lift off with her wanting to smash into the ground before getting her into to the air, but I pop her off the ground quickly and up she goes.

She wants to go forward and to the left a lot in the air so I am using quite a bit of cyclic to hold the hover and then, suddenly, she shoots off forward and left and I cannot hold her on the cyclic so I quickly put her down. Now got a cracked canopy, great.

I have to say I am really naffed off with this. Blade has sold me a helicopter that quite frankly is not fit for purpose.

To charge us for the USB cable, which is not cheap, to correct this is really taking the mick (putting it politely). Having screwed up and released a product which out the box is unflyable then charging so much for the cable is just more profiteering.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I can understand your frustration. The best way to go about figuring this out is to go to an RC club and find an experienced heli pilot. My bet is that something is not quite right with the mechanical and/or electronics setup. The firmware upgrade does help, but it's not magic. The 230S flies well for its size, with a good setup.
3Dmuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I have finally managed to get it to go into Trim Flight mode although it is now too windy to try it out. Maybe in a few more hours closer to sunset when the wind should die down somewhat.

Although I had made sure the Cyclic D/R rates were set at 100%, the Rudder was set at 75% and that was preventing it from responding. Yes, I am a tit, but posting here so it may help someone else going through these problems. I have never been afraid to admit my mistakes, or apologise when one is needed. Well, most times anyway.

I am expecting a small spirit level to be delivered over the next couple of days. I may just upgrade the firmware and wait until that comes to do a Calibration and Trim Flight when that arrives.

Still naffed off with Blade that I have to pay ~ $22 to buy the USB dongle to sort out something that is their fault.

This has really put me off buying the Apache, another heli I like the look of. I just don't want to mess around with sort of nonsense, don't have the time to waste, just want to fly when I have some spare time. Right now I think I am done with Blade.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Once you have your 230s setup and tweaked to your liking you may change your mind about Blade. Although it is some trouble the cable can be used on other helicopters. Plus the 230s flys great, my favorite micro HELI and I fly it more than any of my small helicopters. In fact most have been retired because I like the 230 more.

Last edited by d12bn; 04-17-2016 at 03:44 PM..
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12bn View Post

Once you have your 230s setup and tweaked to your liking you may change your mind about Blade.

Although it is some trouble the cable can be used on our helicopters.

Plus the 230s flys great, my favorite micro HELI and I fly it more than any of my small helicopters. In fact most have been retired because I like the 230 more.
Your videos are really great, and very helpful. Thanks for all your work on them.

What do you mean by "our helicopters"? Your Tag is for MicroHeli.

I have this love/hate relationship with Blade. I am not prepared to pay to be one of their beta testers, and that is why I am not buying the Apache. Right now, not enthused with Blade.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry typo meant to say other helicopters like the 180 CFX for example

QUOTE=naga;6946033]Your videos are really great, and very helpful. Thanks for all your work on them.

What do you mean by "our helicopters"? Your Tag is for MicroHeli.

I have this love/hate relationship with Blade. I am not prepared to pay to be one of their beta testers, and that is why I am not buying the Apache. Right now, not enthused with Blade. [/QUOTE]
Old 04-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

No chance of me buying a Blade 180. That is another heli that Blade released before the bugs were sorted out. No chance.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 230s feels very connected giving you confidence. Its been worth the effort to get through some issues for me its not an issue. Most of my helicopters need tweaking to get just right, just part of the hobby.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tweaking I don't mind. As you say, it is part of the hobby as is upgrading the hardware if you want. But it should be fit for purpose, I don't think it is. Mine is supposed to be BNFly, not BNCrash.

Having to pay ~ $22 for a cable to make it fit for purpose because it was released before the bugs were sorted is a different issue. Having screwed up, they should either fix it under the warrenty or give the cable to those who need them.

Seems there is a long history of them getting us to pay to be beta testers. I can think of 130x with all the tail problems, the 180CFX, I am hearing there are problems with the nano CPS and then the 230S.

I jumped in too early on this. It is probably one of the early examples as it has the duff firmware; 4.01.

I am stuck with it as the canopy got damaged on the first flight when it shot off and I had to land it quick before it hit a parked car the other side of the parking lot. Since I cannot return it I have to either dump it or sort it out. I am going to sort it out.

I like the look of the Apache. However I am so naffed off with Blade at the moment that is not going to happen.

Time to move on.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see Blades as a sometimes necessary evil but definitely made to be outgrown. It is sad because I think they have the infrastructure for beginners to enter the hobby and grow all the way to the 360 CFX then go for a kit Heli.

I got the 230 S right after launch taking advantage of a $50 coupon. I have easily exceeded that saving with the cable and replacement parts.

I do have to say the stock canopy is extremely cheap and fragile. To keep the repair cost down but have a not so fragile Heli seems like the canopy is a must to upgrade.

But as I had said I am with you and understand the frustration. But having it why not deal with it. To be honest lots of pilots ended up biting the bullet of fixing it and ended up happy. I am in the process of playing with it to hover stable on IU2 I think I can at which point it will be indeed a good micro trainer CP Heli. Just playing with linkages to solve slight drift. I am done with trim flights. It is very much fly able I just want it perfect.

Definitely don't get the Apache if you want a scale body. Better to find one for say a Trex 450 which is an inexpensive donor Heli.

Quote:
Tweaking I don't mind. As you say, it is part of the hobby as is upgrading the hardware if you want. But it should be fit for purpose, I don't think it is. Mine is supposed to be BNFly, not BNCrash.

Having to pay ~ $22 for a cable to make it fit for purpose because it was released before the bugs were sorted is a different issue. Having screwed up, they should either fix it under the warrenty or give the cable to those who need them.

Seems there is a long history of them getting us to pay to be beta testers. I can think of 130x with all the tail problems, the 180CFX, I am hearing there are problems with the nano CPS and then the 230S.

I jumped in too early on this. It is probably one of the early examples as it has the duff firmware; 4.01.

I am stuck with it as the canopy got damaged on the first flight when it shot off and I had to land it quick before it hit a parked car the other side of the parking lot. Since I cannot return it I have to either dump it or sort it out. I am going to sort it out.

I like the look of the Apache. However I am so naffed off with Blade at the moment that is not going to happen.

Time to move on.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

In addition to be honest the cable is NOT a requirement. I did it to be safe. At my low low skill level I am pretty sure I would not hit the yaw issue. But I did it being frustrated and eliminating variables since I have worked on it a lot after my first crash and could not make it fly right again.

The issue is mostly the swash tilt on take off and getting it to fly properly on Stability. You can fly it well and ignore Stability, be careful on take off and it will fly properly. If you crashed it you may have some repairing to do. If you follow user documentation on the forums (Blade's maintenance documentation is non-existent) you should be fine. I was learning to fix and fly helicopters at the same time the community was learning the ins and outs of this heli. So it was all against me.

Not a Heli per the marketing that is for sure. But can be made a good Heli. Wish you had read all about it and decided fully aware. To be honest not a lot of options in my experience that have such low repair cost, huge parts availability, and tons of community knowledge and support.

Quote:

Time to move on.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought it because it is virtually a drop in mechanism for the Blade SR Huey Gunship shell. Only need to modify the tail kickup to accept the 230S brushless tail motor and everything else fits perfectly.

The 230S is the son of the SR (which is why it fits the Huey so well) and the Grandson of the old Blade CP.

I am not going to fit it in the Huey shell and risk smashing that up until it is flying right as they are now unobtainable having been recently discontinued following the demise of the SR.

In view of the fact there was a Huey shell for both the CP and the SR, it would not surprise me if Blade releases an upgraded Huey shell for the 230S. They would have to change very little.

Regarding the Blade Apache, it is very different size Heli to a shell that will accept a 450 mechanism, so comparing apples and pears there. If I go with a 450 size scale body (which I will), it will certainly be a Blue Thunder shell not an Apache.

I do have an Apache shell on order right now in fact. It was designed to take the old Blade CP mechanism (Grandfather of the 230S) so I think the 230S will fit right in that too.

What I am annoyed about is Blade having screwed up, I have to throw away the cash to buy the cable to sort it out. If not fit for purpose Blade should not charge to resolve the issue, and right now mine is not fit for purpose.

The cable is on order. Software downloaded and installed ready to upgrade.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your 230 shot off, as you say, something tells me that even an update would have prevented that. An update will help you a little on lift off and may help with a left drift in stability..it does not make it a hands free heli.

I have 2 and they both have been updated now. I still have to be careful on lift-off whether I am in stability or IU1. I usually don't fly in stability.
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in