Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default the videos much of you have been waiting for

Sorry this took so long getting out and its not the refined video that HW is editing but it is the same video just without flare. Hope they help clarify questions on the setups. The vids also apply to PP V4 series.

Hobbywing Platinum v3/4 throttle cal and gov programming P1 (1 min 23 sec)
(part 1)

Hobbywing Platinum pro V3/4 esc gov setup P2 (10 min 10 sec)
(part 2)
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess this will be the hobbywing platinum v3 setup videos thread. Liked!
Old 09-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice! Now theres no more confusion over how its done.

Sick tx cover by the way, I like the skull on the knob! Where/how did you do that?

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

they ought to make this a sticky ! this is how I did it and it works great
Old 09-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyon187 View Post
Nice! Now theres no more confusion over how its done.

Sick tx cover by the way, I like the skull on the knob! Where/how did you do that?
Thanks! I actually Hydrodipped the TX case. Much better coverage and longer lasting than vinyl coverings. I posted a short thread under the painting/airbrushing (I think it's called) if you want to check it out https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=702237
Old 09-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post
they ought to make this a sticky ! this is how I did it and it works great
Agreed, sticky it! Mine works really great as well. So great in fact that when the v4 comes out I might take the v3 off my x3 and put it on my 450 pro and put the v4 on my x3.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 09-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Darksyd3d, have yall considered or thought about doing a video of the actual spool up calibration part? I know it seems straight forward from what you showed in the video above but I think another one showing how it spools up and what it should do d urring the process would be helpful to some new guys trying to setup a gov for the first time. I say this because I didnt set mine up for quite a while simply because I didnt know what to expect durring the process. That and spooling it up on the ground and letting it sit there while it"runs through its rpm range" sounded like it would spool up all the way to 100%. Just a thought!

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 09-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

really don't need vid of that imo. its super easy to begin with, like it said , flick off hold, let it spool 15-20sec, flick on hold. unplug batt.. adjust % in tc to what headspeed you want..done..its so nice im slowly phasing out cc esc's from my goblin lineup, nothing wrong with talon 90 for me, but hw gov is way better and don't need a laptop and link to tune tc at field
Old 09-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive got mine setup perfectly. I suggested it because in some of the forums ive read about doing this people were confused because some thought blades off, blades on, 50% throttle, but thqt it spools up to 100% etc. Its just a thought.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 09-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ive got mine setup perfectly. I suggested it because in some of the forums ive read about doing this people were confused because some thought blades off, blades on, 50% throttle, but thqt it spools up to 100% etc. Its just a thought.
Blades on and 50% throttle for 20 seconds. How hard can it be? The only confusion is because some others have a different opinion about how it should be done.
FrankFuss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea..what frank said
Old 09-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can probably throw something together this weekend but there really wouldn't be much to show. The heli won't go through its rpm range, it will overshoot a TINY bit in rpm bove 50% for the gov store and then settle at 50. Unless your gearing is way off, 50% on most helis is very low and not intimidating at all. I did my G700 trioblin in my driveway between my two cars.
My best hint if you're setting up a larger heli is avoid using the left stick after zero collective is set, even to "brace" or adjust for a tail kick. Just make sure the tail blades are at zero as well and the fbl will compensate when it needs to. It may drift a few degrees till it grab but nothing to worry about
Old 09-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The many "opinions" people had about how to set it up properly was definitely created confusion even for me with my first one. But after doing it with the blades on (the right way) it's been proven that it's the only way. Plus now that I sort of know how they work internally it makes more sense why the blades need to be on
Old 09-29-2015, 10:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll run through it again this weekend but at 50% throttle mine spooled up to 100%. I then had to set throttle curves to 50%, 55% and 60% to get reasonable headspeeds. Using Taranis Tx. Somethings not right.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by btheli View Post
I'll run through it again this weekend but at 50% throttle mine spooled up to 100%. I then had to set throttle curves to 50%, 55% and 60% to get reasonable headspeeds. Using Taranis Tx. Somethings not right.
Make sure your fbl throttle shows 0-100. If not, adjust the tx endpoints till they do. Also make sure you have calibrated the hobbywing/tx throttle.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by btheli View Post
Sounds like you need to drop a tooth on your pinion. I did mine by setting up my iu1 to 50% flat throttle curve and 50% flat pitch curve. Plug in battery, let it calibrate, throttle hold, flick to iu 1, put my throttle to midstick and flick off throttle hold, let it do its thing then flick throttle hold and unplug battery. If your throttle % is low to get the headspeed you want then your gearing is too high. To reset the gov store you need to select a different non gov flight mode, save then reselect the gov store.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 09-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSyd3D View Post
I can probably throw something together this weekend but there really wouldn't be much to show. The heli won't go through its rpm range, it will overshoot a TINY bit in rpm bove 50% for the gov store and then settle at 50. Unless your gearing is way off, 50% on most helis is very low and not intimidating at all. I did my G700 trioblin in my driveway between my two cars.
My best hint if you're setting up a larger heli is avoid using the left stick after zero collective is set, even to "brace" or adjust for a tail kick. Just make sure the tail blades are at zero as well and the fbl will compensate when it needs to. It may drift a few degrees till it grab but nothing to worry about
It wouldnt need to be much. My thought behind this is towards newer guys setting up a gov for the first time. Show what it looks like in your radio and maybe even how it sounds/looks like durring the standardization process. Also mention what your end percentage should be like I.e. values below 60% to get desired headspeed needs to have a lower tooth count and values over 85% need to go up a tooth. This is just my opinion as I didnt set this up for awhile because of being unsure of what it should look like or how to set it up in my radio.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It wouldnt need to be much. My thought behind this is towards newer guys setting up a gov for the first time. Show what it looks like in your radio and maybe even how it sounds/looks like durring the standardization process. Also mention what your end percentage should be like I.e. values below 60% to get desired headspeed needs to have a lower tooth count and values over 85% need to go up a tooth. This is just my opinion as I didnt set this up for awhile because of being unsure of what it should look like or how to set it up in my radio.
I think new guys would benifit from reading what you just said about changing gearing to get it balanced properly
It's my hope that users new to Hobbywing will refer to these threads for help and clarification even more than the videos. I know some people (myself included) are visual learners and it's simply easier to make a quick video showing how to setup than typing it all out.
My video does show what the flat curve should look like in the TX. Since some manufacturers use different terminology and even the screens looking different, it would be difficult to try to explain to a newbie to the hobby exactly what to do without making it interactive.
I am more than happy to make a quick video showing what 50% throttle looks an sounds like on a 700 and a 360 size machine however, for a total newbie, spooling up a heli the very first time other than on a micro is usually pretty scary no matter what HS it has. It's simply something we all have to grow accustomed to in order to make it a fun experience
Old 10-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Love video great...
THANK YOU.

If I have everything set in gov store and I recalibrate my throttle so inhale to setup again the gov store???
Grittner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2015, 12:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, if you're just setting the throttle calibration you don't have to go into gov store as they are seperate programming steps. Only if the gov store didn't take or the throttle stick was moved during the spool up would you need to reset it to airplane mode and save, then gov store process over again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in