Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinthunder13 View Post
Darksyd3d does your video apply to the hobbywing 160 hv? any help would be greatly appreciated. this is my first 700 sized build and I am a little nervous about the flybarless set up and esc set up.
Yes, the setup is identical for the V4. When calibrating the throttle on the V4 you only have to leave the throttle in High for 2 seconds or it will go into stick programming. No biggie if it does, just unplug and start over. Setting the gov store is the same procedure.

Some of the verbiage has changed a little but nothing major. Feel free to PM me if you have questions
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is what i love about this hobby and this forum,so many knowledgeable people that dont mind helping others try to learn and enjoy this hobby !!!
Thanks darksky3D
Old 01-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is what i love about this hobby and this forum,so many knowledgeable people that dont mind helping others try to learn and enjoy this hobby !!!
Thanks darksky3D
Anytime!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Set mine (160 HV V4) up this afternoon on a new Protos Max 700 V2. No problem.

Loaded my main settings already with the computer and the programming box. Set it governor store.

Set the throttle limits, high and low using a liner throttle curve. 0-100

Then set a 50% flat throttle curve in normal. With the collective pitch stick (left) confirmed at 50% in the servo screen, throttle hold on, plugged it in, take off throttle hold, count 20 seconds, put throttle hold back on, unplug.

No problem really easy. Thank you for your help !!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome man. If you want to check the logs all you have to do is plug the box in after the flight and before you disarm the esc. Press enter to connect, the R/P to scroll through the logs.
The rpm readout is a little weird as I think it's giving you the rpm of the motor, not the blades. The main concern is Max amps though
Old 02-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSyd3D View Post
Awesome man. If you want to check the logs all you have to do is plug the box in after the flight and before you disarm the esc. Press enter to connect, the R/P to scroll through the logs.
The rpm readout is a little weird as I think it's giving you the rpm of the motor, not the blades. The main concern is Max amps though

Hi,
I taught the ESC would keep the logs in memory ?
proy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by proy View Post
Hi,
I taught the ESC would keep the logs in memory ?
The 160 v4 doesn't have an internal flash memory and no option for external memory.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The 160 v4 doesn't have an internal flash memory and no option for external memory.
Thanks,

So when the wifi modules comes out, we need to transfer the logs before taking the battery out.
Or in the meantime connect a pc to get logs.

Does all company work the same way ?
proy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your best bet would be to take a pic of the readings with a cell phone for now. Not all companies are without a computer interface but its a give and take with Hobbywing. You get an awesome performing speed controller at a great price. You sacrifice the ability to save logs at least for now.
Might be a cool idea if they came out with a new prog box that had a micro sd card slot for saving settings and logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proy View Post
Thanks,

So when the wifi modules comes out, we need to transfer the logs before taking the battery out.
Or in the meantime connect a pc to get logs.

Does all company work the same way ?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

not sure if that's a good idea, since some people already have 1 pbox, some have 2. Getting another would make it 3 pboxes. lol. I think the wifi app would be the way to go. Nothing worse than carrying all these things on the field. Keep it simple just use the phone.

Just wished they would hurry it up a bit and send you a Hobbywing wifi express for testing.

Also wouldn't mind seeing the HW pc app to have the ability to extract those logs too. Similar to Castle ESCs and some other cheaper brand esc too
gimbleguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

That would be nice as well. I think it may cost a little less to add a memory slot to a PG vs the esc itself. I MAY be incorrect but I thought the wifi express was only for set up, not reading logs. Possible something changed since HW didn't have an esc capable of logging when the WE was first announce over a year ago.
We all hoping to see them soon but I haven't heard anything yet
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi guys, im little bit confusing about the voltage at learning. What is the best for optimal governor. 3.8v 4.0v 4.2v ?? i know that castle use 3.7v nominal so what is the best with hobbywing thanks
Pilot rc Laser 88, mikado V-plane, DA-70-MKS hv777
jean-michael is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, It applies to all Platinum Pro V3 and V4 controllers. Feel free to pm me if you have questions

Quote:
Darksyd3d does your video apply to the hobbywing 160 hv? any help would be greatly appreciated. this is my first 700 sized build and I am a little nervous about the flybarless set up and esc set up.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

What if I use a lower cell count lipo after governor is set?

i.e. governor setup using 6S, then I run it with 5S. Never done this but wondering.
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
What if I use a lower cell count lipo after governor is set?

i.e. governor setup using 6S, then I run it with 5S. Never done this but wondering.
If you plan to do it often you'd want to use gov elf mode. But if only ever so often it will be ok but check esc temps. The gov might freak out a little. I haven't tried it before on the HW
Old 07-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just as an aside for those of you a bit squeemish to spool up your larger (700-800) helicopter on the 50% set up phase. I usually just clamp mine to my workmate in my yard (See pic)
As mentioned the 50% spool up is very mild but this adds a sense of security to the process.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	916
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	662980  
Old 07-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gotta be careful clamping a heli down, it can lead to ground resonance and end very badly. One chap recently rested bricks on his skids to hold the heli down and the resulting vibrations caused a tipover under power.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to make sure, a few things.

1) Once I do the 50% RPM standardization in <gov.mode>, do I have then to go back to my program box and switch that governor setting to <Heli mode> ?

2) The only time I would use airplane mode for a helicopter would be if I used an external governor?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Just to make sure, a few things.

1) Once I do the 50% RPM standardization in <gov.mode>, do I have then to go back to my program box and switch that governor setting to <Heli mode> ?

2) The only time I would use airplane mode for a helicopter would be if I used an external governor?
Correct on your first part of the first question. If you're using an external gov you don't have to do the standardization at all. Just set it to fixed wing mode.
Question 2 is also correct
Old 07-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Correct on your first part of the first question. If you're using an external gov you don't have to do the standardization at all. Just set it to fixed wing mode.
Question 2 is also correct
Great, thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in