Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kosmik 101 for beginners

I am starting this thread so that I can share my experience with the Kontronik wonderful world of bad instructions.
I sure hope this thread will help others to see the light faster than I did.

I am not at all an expert at this, just someone who searches a lot, please correct me if some mistakes are made along the way.

Lets start with updating your Kosmik and getting the progunit to work.

Forget the written instructions and go to this video:

Kontronik ProgUnit (4 min 19 sec)

As good as videos are when you watch them, I tend to forget the exact steps when I am in front of my workbench with wires and foreign units so here is a transcript of the video:

Connecting progunit to laptop and updating the Kosmik:

1- Connect the USB cable to your computer.
2- Press button under the progunit and hold it while you connect the mini USB cable end to the Progunit
3- Hold the button while connecting the progunit to USB and the green led will turn red
4- Once red, let go of the button and the led will start flashing.
5- On the computer windows will recognize the device and start installing the correct driver.
6- While drivers are being installed get the correct update for the Kosmik from the Kontronik web site.
Click: Service Center=Downloads=Updates.
7- Select and download the update for the particular ESC.
8- Once download is complete extract the zip file to desktop
9- Disconnect the progunit from computer (once drivers have been installed)
10- Open the Kontronik updater (I opened it before disconnecting the progunit in the previous step and it would not open, so pay attention to the procedure step by step)
11- Open the updater so it is ready to go once ESC connected.
12- Disconnect the motor from Kosmik
13-Disconnect the FBL from master port.
14- Connect a double ended male lead into master port
15- Power up ESC with a charged battery pack
16- Connect the prog unit to the male connector plugged already into the master port.
17 Once connected the red led on progunit will begin to blink.
18- Connect progunit to laptop.
19- the update button will become active and you will see the firmware version of the progunit and version of the Kosmik.
20- Click “UPDATE” to begin the update
21- During the update process the led on the progunit will blink rapidly and the led 2 on the Kosmik as well

DO NOT STOP OR TOUCH ANYTHING DURING THE PROCESS after all it is finally working do not mess with it. Make sure the laptop has enough batteries or is connected to the wall socket. Make sure the batteries you use for the Kosmik are fully charged too

One thing during the update process my Kontronik updater was showing " not responding", ain't Windows grand!!!!, an alarming sight. Do not be alarmed as long as the little lights are flashing on the Kosmik and the progunit all is well.

After a few minutes update was done.

now to move on to step 22:
22- Redo Mode 1 and Mode 4

Still not there yet on that one, I will be working on it as soon as I find good instructions for it.

Stay tuned

Last edited by Puttputt maru; 10-03-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Puttputt maru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

One more:

If you ever wonder what the USB slot is used for on the Kosmik and Kosmik cool side.

Answer: nothing for us. It is not of any use to the user, it is for the factory use only.

That ESC looks cool though

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k0.jpg
Views:	1665
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	612107  

Last edited by Puttputt maru; 10-03-2015 at 01:13 PM..
Puttputt maru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The fuse for the Kosmik goes on the negative side of the connection to the batteries.

Use the mounting support is best.

I have seen a few videos were the fuse could have used some support. Here is one:

Kontronik Kosmik ESC 200A fuse (0 min 24 sec)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kontroic-fuse-holder.jpg
Views:	1479
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	612170   Click image for larger version

Name:	R2Prototyping_Kosmik_Fuse_Holder_001_720.jpg
Views:	1715
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	612171  
Old 10-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Programming Kosmik mode 1-4-10:

First, make sure that you connected what is basically needed for the system to function, that means:

1) Motor connected with the three connections on the one side of the Kosmik (order does not really matter for now)

2) Connect at least the Master slot of your Kosmik to the throttle output/governor slot of your FBL unit. Since I use the BD3SX that is slot 3.
3) Connect the receiver to the FBL (slot 2 on BD3SX for sum signal)
(see below)

4) Have your transmitter ready with a 0 to 100% throttle curve and with your stick in the low (zero) position. Of course the Tx was bound to the Rx prior to this.

4) Connect the batteries fully charged to the negative and positive of the Kosmik watching proper polarity fuse not necessarily needed at this stage.

Now I have found this video that made it all nice and clear:

Kosmik Programming tutorial (5 min 59 sec)

Mode 10 can be done with the progunit so the last step in the video is not that important if you have the progunit.

I must say that once you got all the pieces of the puzzle together this was really not that bad to do.

Now to tackle the Jlog connections but that is an other story for an other forum.

I hope this will help some that are new to the Kontronik Kosmik to find out what to do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 2.53.00 PM.png
Views:	1483
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	612172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 2.55.35 PM.png
Views:	134
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	612173  
Old 10-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for this.

EatMorePizza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMorePizza View Post
Thanks for this.
You are welcome, it will be also a nice way for me to find all the info once I forget what I had done wrong on my next helicopters so has not to repeat it.

1) By the way with the Progunit any explanation as to why there is a male and a female connector and you have to use the the female one with a male male adapter to plug it to the Kosmik?

2) What is the use of of the male connector? Is it use for other purposes inside the Kontronik universe or is it like the USB plug on the Kosmik for "factory use only"?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The female connector I assume they intend to have you use with Master lead.

The male connector I am guessing is used to connect to Receiver or FBL units Throttle out to learn throttle endpoints instead of stick programming.
This is optionally how it is done on both ProgCard(s) and ProgDisk.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've heard similar. The day when esc's ship with an Ethernet port/wifi for updating can't come any sooner...

EatMorePizza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

New V4 HobbyWing 60 and 160A both have WiFi...
Old 10-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post
The female connector I assume they intend to have you use with Master lead.

The male connector I am guessing is used to connect to Receiver or FBL units Throttle out to learn throttle endpoints instead of stick programming.
This is optionally how it is done on both ProgCard(s) and ProgDisk.
Unless I am confused as to what is called a female (see pic below) and a male connector, the female cannot plug directly into the Master, you need to use a double ended male connector to do so as per the instructions:

Quote:
Connect the KONTRONIK ProgUNIT to the KONTRONIK ESC via the BEC cable (Master port) and the female plug on the ProgUNIT.
Hence my questioning. Having tried the male connector into the master port directly it does not work. The only way I see this working easily is if you would disconnect the Master and the Slave lead from the Rx which in most cases is not as easily achieved as to unplug everything directly from the Kosmok itself.

I just like form following function, to me it would have been easier the other way around.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1316
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	612522  
Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kosmik not initiating:

Just for completion sake on that one. It has been mentioned that some Kosmik ( and Jive) product had some "chance" of not initiating and be caught in a loop because of high demand of high voltage servos. I won't go into specific of the matter. Suffice to say that it seems to have been such a problem that Kontronik is doing something about it by putting out a new and improve ESC

Quote:
01. Oktober 2015
Elimination of BEC-initialization problems of JIVE Pro and KOSMIK;
live-cell therapy for KOBY

Elimination of BEC-initialization problems of JIVE Pro and KOSMIK;
live-cell therapy for KOBY
Requirements to ESCs are constantly increasing – by more powerful servos and motors, harder flying styles etc. For this reason, we gave a live-cell therapy to our ESCs.
Our KOBY is now equipped with more powerful MOSFETs, ELKOs, capacitors and gate resistors.
By optimizing our hardware in our JIVE Pro- and KOMSIK-ESCs we fixed problems of BEC initialization that could have occurred in newer configurations. All new
Now if like me you bought yours before the fact and hit the jackpot by having one with the problem, options are:

1) Hope that upgrade will be under warranty

2) Use a buffer pack to initiate the proper cycle

3) I will go a bit more complex on that one with a remote start from my Tx and an Ultraguard, but not sure if it will work I am waiting for more components on that one. Read this thread if you want to know, and more specifically post #33 by Aziz:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=703413&page=2

If you are not sure if the cause is whether you did your set up wrong or not.

All you need to do to check is to unplug some servos, just keep one, if you did your set up correctly everything will work with less servos plugged in. Then go back to option 1-2 or 3 as mentioned above
Old 10-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What I meant was plug ProgUnit into Master lead (pulled from Rx), not Master Port.
sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Unless I am confused as to what is called a female (see pic below) and a male connector, the female cannot plug directly into the Master, you need to use a double ended male connector to do so as per the instructions:

Hence my questioning. Having tried the male connector into the master port directly it does not work. The only way I see this working easily is if you would disconnect the Master and the Slave lead from the Rx which in most cases is not as easily achieved as to unplug everything directly from the Kosmok itself.

I just like form following function, to me it would have been easier the other way around.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post
What I meant was plug ProgUnit into Master lead (pulled from Rx), not Master Port.
sorry for the confusion.
No problem, I understood it after I reread your post since you had mentioned the master lead

I still think it is easier to unplug at the Kosmik level, rather than the FBL or Tx, hence the need for the male male extension for the progunit.

And yes remote is best. I had bought the Bluetooth unit to find out afterwards that the Apps was pulled out of the iTune store. It only works for the Android phone
Old 12-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was posted in an other thread but I thought it would be useful to put here as a guide too for TellME:

Quote:
The above post was very useful to me. I originally had the same issue as everyone else seems to have with the 14SG and the TelME... I was trying to "Register" the sensor and received "Communication Error" every time.

After looking at the quoted thread post on that website I realized he was activating "kontronik" under Sensor #8 and I had selected it under Sensor #16.

When I went back and changed Sensor #8 to "kontronik" all my telemetry functions began to work WITHOUT needing to register the sensor.

Here is step by step what I did...

-Futaba T14SG
-Kosmik 200 Cool
-R7008SB Receiver

1. Updated 14SG to V 6.0
2. Updated Kosmik to V 4.8
3. Programmed R7008SB to Rx mode 2 (this allows 2 SBUS ports so no need for Y-Harness)
4. Plugged in TelME module to Kosmik and Rx
5. Turn on TX and enter "Link" Mode (using FASSTest 14 Ch)
6. Power on Kosmik and my buffer pack - allowed RX to link
7. Under "Sensor" menu select "Kontronik" for sensor # 8

I did NOT have to register the sensor.

All parameters are now working as advertised. I spooled up and tested all functions were reporting data. Hopefully this helps someone.
and a link to the thread:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=720473
Old 12-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

(going through this process myself again, thanks for your succinct notes)

Quote:
One thing during the update process my Kontronik updater was showing " not responding", ain't Windows grand!!!!, an alarming sight.
To be fair, it's not Windows that is at fault here, but sloppy programming on the KUpdate's part. Technically speaking, what's happening is the update is being performed in the main application thread (using blocking write) which hangs the whole UI, instead of the main thread being just a listener on transfer status.

Totally avoidable with not that much effort. Hope we'll see the improvement someday.
Heli-X, AccuRC, RF 7.5 Transmitter Interface Edition
madeye is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

...and of course, it bricked not five minutes later.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeye View Post
(going through this process myself again, thanks for your succinct notes)

To be fair, it's not Windows that is at fault here, but sloppy programming on the KUpdate's part. Technically speaking, what's happening is the update is being performed in the main application thread (using blocking write) which hangs the whole UI, instead of the main thread being just a listener on transfer status.

Totally avoidable with not that much effort. Hope we'll see the improvement someday.
Thanks for the correction. Being a Mac lover I always jump at the possibility of stumping on Windows But as you said lets be fair so I will revert to my second stumping ground now: Kontronik

Love the ESC do not like instructions and business acumen.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. Being a Mac lover I always jump at the possibility of stumping on Windows
Again, to be fair, this can happen on any OS where there is a "UI thread"

Quote:
But as you said lets be fair so I will revert to my second stumping ground now: Kontronik

Love the ESC do not like instructions and business acumen.
Same here. The controller is fine (as long as it works), the support software... could be better, the documentation is outright bad.

I'm really surprised that Kontronik doesn't hire a usability expert and a decent English technical writer to fix it all - there's not *that* much to fix.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am starting this thread so that I can share my experience with the Kontronik wonderful world of bad instructions.
I sure hope this thread will help others to see the light faster than I did.

I am not at all an expert at this, just someone who searches a lot, please correct me if some mistakes are made along the way.

Lets start with updating your Kosmik and getting the progunit to work.

Forget the written instructions and go to this video:

Kontronik ProgUnit - YouTube

As good as videos are when you watch them, I tend to forget the exact steps when I am in front of my workbench with wires and foreign units so here is a transcript of the video:

Connecting progunit to laptop and updating the Kosmik:

1- Connect the USB cable to your computer.
2- Press button under the progunit and hold it while you connect the mini USB cable end to the Progunit
3- Hold the button while connecting the progunit to USB and the green led will turn red
4- Once red, let go of the button and the led will start flashing.
5- On the computer windows will recognize the device and start installing the correct driver.
6- While drivers are being installed get the correct update for the Kosmik from the Kontronik web site.
Click: Service Center=Downloads=Updates.
7- Select and download the update for the particular ESC.
8- Once download is complete extract the zip file to desktop
9- Disconnect the progunit from computer (once drivers have been installed)
10- Open the Kontronik updater (I opened it before disconnecting the progunit in the previous step and it would not open, so pay attention to the procedure step by step)
11- Open the updater so it is ready to go once ESC connected.
12- Disconnect the motor from Kosmik
13-Disconnect the FBL from master port.
14- Connect a double ended male lead into master port
15- Power up ESC with a charged battery pack
16- Connect the prog unit to the male connector plugged already into the master port.
17 Once connected the red led on progunit will begin to blink.
18- Connect progunit to laptop.
19- the update button will become active and you will see the firmware version of the progunit and version of the Kosmik.
20- Click “UPDATE” to begin the update
21- During the update process the led on the progunit will blink rapidly and the led 2 on the Kosmik as well

DO NOT STOP OR TOUCH ANYTHING DURING THE PROCESS after all it is finally working do not mess with it. Make sure the laptop has enough batteries or is connected to the wall socket. Make sure the batteries you use for the Kosmik are fully charged too

One thing during the update process my Kontronik updater was showing " not responding", ain't Windows grand!!!!, an alarming sight. Do not be alarmed as long as the little lights are flashing on the Kosmik and the progunit all is well.

After a few minutes update was done.

now to move on to step 22:
22- Redo Mode 1 and Mode 4

Still not there yet on that one, I will be working on it as soon as I find good instructions for it.

Stay tuned
Good job. Putt.

There is a "sticky" on the procedure that you described...FWIW.

It's more detailed, BTW.

With regards to the fuse mounting, a better way is to obtain a "LitteFuse" fuse holder....made for high end automobile audio systems....and then mount the fuse on your side frame.

In that way, stress on the KOS terminal is minimized...to the extent possible.

It doesn't matter where the fuse(from the KOS negative) is located.

In this way, when you change out your batteries during your flying session, no stress will be applied to the "fragile" fuse.

FWIW
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It's more detailed, BTW.
Late answer but I had seen it and more details does not necessarily makes it clearer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.