Never flown 230 S needs help - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Never flown 230 S needs help

Hey all I bought a 230 S the other day and I'm having some issues already. I can't enter the mode to center the servos and I can't enter the mode to even do a trim flight. I've watched the videos and followed the instructions carefully. I've tried with a friend of mine that has a great deal of knowledge flying. The swash is way off center with safe turned on and off. It wants to lean hard one way. This heli has never been flown yet. Any help would be appreciated.
faqcya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm using a DX6 radio.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by faqcya View Post
Hey all I bought a 230 S the other day and I'm having some issues already. I can't enter the mode to center the servos and I can't enter the mode to even do a trim flight. I've watched the videos and followed the instructions carefully. I've tried with a friend of mine that has a great deal of knowledge flying. The swash is way off center with safe turned on and off. It wants to lean hard one way. This heli has never been flown yet. Any help would be appreciated.
The swash on this thing will be off center on start up until the blades start to spin. That's just the way it works. Is this a DX6i?
TMoore is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

No its a DX6 the new one. If the swash won't level until it flies how am I supposed to enter setup?
Old 10-16-2015, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No its a DX6 the new one. If the swash won't level until it flies how am I supposed to enter setup?
Starting on page 12 of the manual are the instructions to put the machine into the Advanced Settings modes. Page 14 of the manual is where the Servo Adjustment mode is. The FBL controller doesn't work like others in that when you boot it up the swash won't stay level. It will try to move the model so it can measure a cyclic rotation. All the setup mode will reveal is whether or not the servos are a 90 degrees at mid collective stick.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

TMoore I appreciate your assistance. But you don't seem to be understanding what I am saying. Myself and a very knowledgeable pilot DoubleCH well respected on the 300X forum. Have both attempted to get this to go into the setup mode and the trim flight mode and it refuses to do either. I wanted him to do the trim flight because he is a much better pilot then I am and would be able to hold the heli in a steady hover much better then I can. We could not be assured that the swash was set level to attempt a trim flight because it refused to go into setup mode. He suggested that we not try the trim flight mode if we can't be certain that the swash is level when it looks to be way off. So I am here to see if anyone might know of something that we are overlooking. I have attempted every set of instructions that I can find and it hasn't helped. So far you have given me a clue that might help and that is to give it some throttle and see if it goes straight. I'll attempt to find a way to hold it down and give this an attempt. However I would really like to be able to go into the setup modes.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
TMoore I appreciate your assistance. But you don't seem to be understanding what I am saying. Myself and a very knowledgeable pilot DoubleCH well respected on the 300X forum. Have both attempted to get this to go into the setup mode and the trim flight mode and it refuses to do either. I wanted him to do the trim flight because he is a much better pilot then I am and would be able to hold the heli in a steady hover much better then I can. We could not be assured that the swash was set level to attempt a trim flight because it refused to go into setup mode. He suggested that we not try the trim flight mode if we can't be certain that the swash is level when it looks to be way off. So I am here to see if anyone might know of something that we are overlooking. I have attempted every set of instructions that I can find and it hasn't helped. So far you have given me a clue that might help and that is to give it some throttle and see if it goes straight. I'll attempt to find a way to hold it down and give this an attempt. However I would really like to be able to go into the setup modes.
I understand exactly what you are saying. You're not understanding what I'm telling you. Have you flown the model yet? I've done trim flights on mine, put it into setup mode and I'm telling you what happens after the setup and the trim flights have been done. When you boot the model up after all this has been done with the model in Normal mode with the SAFE system active the swash will not be level. It will go forward and right on the swash. No matter how well the model is trimmed in the trim flight mode the model will still not take off without some sort of correction on lift off. Flight mode 1 or 2 alleviates this issue so you can flip into that mode at half stick and the model will take off correctly.

If the model won't go into setup the only thing that I can conclude is that the TX isn't setup correctly or the RX/FBL unit is defective. Do you have P-mix 1 set correctly in the TX?
Old 10-16-2015, 01:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was the pre mix not set up correctly. I ended up making a new model from scratch and set the premix first. and then set up everything else. It worked and I will be giving it the trim flight and first flight in the morning. Thanks for your help. Is it possible to move the self level to the A switch? The bind button really is not that convenient in an emergency situation.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It was the pre mix not set up correctly. I ended up making a new model from scratch and set the premix first. and then set up everything else. It worked and I will be giving it the trim flight and first flight in the morning. Thanks for your help. Is it possible to move the self level to the A switch? The bind button really is not that convenient in an emergency situation.
Interesting, glad you got it sorted out. I don't see any reason that you can't move the switch to what you want. I don't use the rescue mode so I left the bind button programming on the DX18 alone. All I've done is test the recovery to see how it works.

Once you check the setup and verify the servo arms, do the trim flight and just keep the disc level for 30+ seconds, land, let the head spool down and then press the bind button to capture the settings. Then reboot the heli and the TX to begin again.

Just remember that this system is a leveling system, not any sort of enhanced stability mode and while the head will level it will still drift from time to time.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a question about the self leveling it seems like it's on all the time. Will it try to fight me if I'm in FFF and I let go of the sticks or will it only actually attempt to self level when I push the panic button?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, have you tried it yet? :-)

Example:
Have you maybe flown the 200QX quad?

If you choose the green or blue stability modes of course the stability of the FC will fight a little bit against you in FFF. You have to hold down the nick stick always (against the FC).
In the red agility mode there is no stability anymore hence if you let go the nick stick the elevator-angle stays the same and does not fight back.

As far as I understand the 230s has the stability mode and agility mode. 3D mode even turns up the roll/flip rates...you would not need this.
The AR636 RX will probably do the same in the stability mode (a little bit of auto correction / leveling on elevator) if you really let go the stick.
I do not really expect the RX to do it in agility (+3D) mode but can't tell as I just fly my flybar Blade 450...(going back on FFF happens there a very little bit too).

You better try it :-)

Thomas
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have a question about the self leveling it seems like it's on all the time. Will it try to fight me if I'm in FFF and I let go of the sticks or will it only actually attempt to self level when I push the panic button?
It depends on the state of the gear channel. When you initially programmed your radio you tied the gear switch to the flight mode switch B. Look at the Monitor screen on the radio and you can see the action of the gear switch.

Page 9 in the manual tells you how the system works. I can tell you that Normal mode feels like you are flying a bowl of molasses because you will feel like you are pushing and tugging the stick to get the heli to move. That's the way they set it up. You can change that to a certain extent with negative expo but I don't fly in that mode so I'm in FM2 99% of the time until I land.

Time to try it out I think.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the switch was moved from the Bind button to a regular two position switch, then it is common to leave it on the "ON" position. That is why the Bind button is recommended as it has a spring that returns it back disallowing you from keeping Rescue on all the time. Yes it is awkward and you have to reach out a lot. So since you changed it, you just have to make sure the right position is set. You can corroborate by entering trim flight, the swash will move indicating it went into that mode. Then as has already been said, take it off as quickly as you can (your buddy pilot may be able to assist). HH recommends several trim flights so I would say your first couple packs you set a 1 minute timer, fly it, land it, put it into rescue again, watch the swash move again, and move back the switch to its original position, disconnect the battery (DONT USE THROTTLE HOLD OR THE SETTINGS WILL NOT SAVE), reset the timer and repeat until you drain the pack (4 times, total). You may want to do only 3 if you monitor the voltage of your battery don't want to discharge it below 3.8 per cell.

This heli is tricky but I think several people actually have been able to fly it on fully assisted SAFE mode. I am at a point where I need to start pushing myself to learn so I fly on Agility and also several people fly it the same way, like a regular CP helicopter. I lift off on Normal (SAFE assisted) then move to Agility in the air.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the radio setup exactly as the manual states. I did 3 trim flights. On the 4th trim flight the helicopter didn't want to initialize and wouldn't respond to any of my inputs. I rebinded the helicopter and got it to initialize. Did another trim flight. Swapped batteries and it wouldn't initialize so I rebinded it. Took it for a normal flight and the tail wags a little bit. I flew it anyways and tested the self level noticed what you guys were mentioning about needing the positive pitch when I release the bind button. Then moved my gear and panic switches. It wouldn't initialize unless I rebinded it. Tested it liked the switch locations. But II have 2 problems that I need to solve 1) having to rebind the helicopter every time I swap batteries and 2) the tail wagging.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I'm removing the bind plug.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pull your throttle trim down a bit and see if the machine will initialize correctly. You shouldn't have to bind again after the first time. There is no need for that. Something else is happening.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH has excellent customer service, I can speak to that as I have personally have received excellent support from them. Give them a call, have your receipt handy so they can register your product. Use the call-back option, or wait forever on hold, beware. But when they call you back, they will sort you out. Sounds like an issue that you MAY have to exchange your heli because sounds like something wrong on the receiver if the binding is not holding up. I would not tear up the heli to change the receiver if they said they will send you one. Or go to your LHS and have it exchanged.

If you have a lot of tail wagging sounds like vibration may not be registering your trim flight data. But still does not explain the loss of binding. That is a first for me, have not heard an RX forget its binding to a TX.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally !!....Got my 230S (second one) flying under predictable control....5 tail rotors and one bent tail boom later. Could never enter the 'trim flight mode' so gave up on that and just did manual servo arm positioning with several trial and error flights until I found the 'spot' that enabled me to lift off without wild 'left darting'. Now can fly around in normal mode and while not ever stable in 'hands off' at least it's flyable.
rosina is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosina View Post
Finally !!....Got my 230S (second one) flying under predictable control....5 tail rotors and one bent tail boom later. Could never enter the 'trim flight mode' so gave up on that and just did manual servo arm positioning with several trial and error flights until I found the 'spot' that enabled me to lift off without wild 'left darting'. Now can fly around in normal mode and while not ever stable in 'hands off' at least it's flyable.
What radio are you using?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

DX 9 programmed according to manual. Waiting for new alum. tail boom from MicroHeli before next flight.
rosina is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.