Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 230S - Talk me in or out of...

So, while I had absolutely no initial interest in this little bird, a buddy had me pick one up for him on the way to the field last night, and I have to say, I'm impressed by its performance...

Literally got the bind and fly treatment and it passed with flying colors...

Seemed to have the general flight characteristics of a larger lower-mid head speed heli.

Now, I have more hardware than I need, and have been working to thin the fleet, but this seems like a great little trainer..

I could use more time spent on backwards, and inverted backwards flight, inverted funnels, etc and this really seems like it would be the perfect IRL Sim so to speak to really keep burning those in.. Built in recovery at the push of a button, small / low risk, etc...

It seemed to really excel at the fluid 3D stuff as well.

I didn't look to see if the LHS had a second in stock, but if they do, I may be in trouble this evening.

Maybe I'll grab this and let the little 180 go. I have the Oxy if I want a little smack monster, the gap in the micro size range has been in the small but graceful category and from what I saw yesterday, this seems to plug that gap.

Talk me out of it!... To be clear, I don't care about trim flights, blade bashing, etc... Just interested in flight characteristic conversation, particularly from those who have already progressed well beyond the basics and may be using this as a back to basics trainer.

Last edited by Inverted2112; 10-07-2015 at 09:46 PM..
Inverted2112 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

I guess the main concern I'd have is the motor driven tail. In the event you do put it in how well does that tail motor/ESC hold up? It seems like it could be more expensive to repair than a mechanical tail, but maybe not. Also, every heli with a motor driven tail I've flown just can't keep up with certain intensive high speed maneuvers, but since I haven't tried this one I can't say one way or another.

If you do end up with one definitely let me know how you like it. I wouldn't mind having one I could use to train other pilots on as long as it's good enough to smack around a bit too.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The tail did ADMIRABLY well...

It was screaming like a banshee, but did everything that was asked of it. Seriously, I was very impressed or I wouldn't be considering one.

Its not nearly as aggressive as the 180 is, but honestly, that's just not what I'm looking for anyway.

I'll try to get some video assuming he makes it to the field again this eve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I guess the main concern I'd have is the motor driven tail. In the event you do put it in how well does that tail motor/ESC hold up? It seems like it could be more expensive to repair than a mechanical tail, but maybe not. Also, every heli with a motor driven tail I've flown just can't keep up with certain intensive high speed maneuvers, but since I haven't tried this one I can't say one way or another.

If you do end up with one definitely let me know how you like it. I wouldn't mind having one I could use to train other pilots on as long as it's good enough to smack around a bit too.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you already decided to get one

If you've not seen it already, the Brian James vid gives a fairly good idea of how it fly's and tail performance. I'm enjoying mine very much, even after 30 years of heli flying. Nice to not have to treck down to the club field and easier to see and follow than the tiny models, which always had an iffy tail. This one is pretty good for a tail motor. Quite impressed so far...
230 S unofficial video (3 min 8 sec)
Old 10-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had indeed seen that video.

And it does, doesn't it...

Called the LHS and they have another coming Friday. I didn't ask him to hold it, so the jury is still kind of out, but if its sitting there Friday eve I'll probably snag it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpaul View Post
Sounds like you already decided to get one

...snip......
Old 10-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quick video of his 230 this evening.

Probably want to go HD and full screen....

Error4O1's 230S (2 min 47 sec)
Old 10-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice "fluid" style. Very smooth between maneuvers, a pleasure to watch!
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a beginner. This heli is perfect for exactly what you described. It gives me the confidence to try any inverted hover orientation and backward flight. So stable. But...you stuff it it's trash. The frame will tear itself in half. I've rebuilt 4 times. Never a tail problem though.

It flies so much better than the FP 200srx. That pos toilet bowls like a FB heli and is hard to hold. This flies like a cp heli with a good gyro. Even inverted. I recommend it for any beginner or like you said, inexpensive confidence training.
myvrodrocks1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was actually pretty impressed by the 200SRX. Personally, I think it flies just like I would expect a good FP heli to fly.

It may not have a ton of power, but I kind of like that. It forces you to really manage the throttle which translates well to collective / energy management.

I actually pulled it out last night as a matter of fact and flew it a bit, and am always surprised by how much I actually do enjoy flying it. Shooting approaches and managing the throttle properly is a hoot.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew my 230 for the first time last weekend and was also quite impressed by it

Power was great, flip speed was great, tail hold was great too.

I actually put it in twice with no damage due to super windy conditions and trying to land it on a small rubber mat (doh)

Lynx Heli Innovations Team Pilot
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew my new 230 down the park for the first time today, after a few test hovers in in my back yard when I brought it home from the shop yesterday.

I've owned quite a few different blades and out of the box this one has impressed me the most: powerful (but not excessively so), smooth and responsive, super stable, great tail hold (very little bounce), amazing battery life, uncomplicated design, nicely built and nicely priced.

I like that the rotor disk loading is light, so it flies very similarly to my 130Xs (my favourite flying Blades), but with piro comp. With a simple tail design hopefully it's far more reliable than my capricious 130s - at the same flying session one of them decided to round out a D gear whilst inverted and crashed.

I assigned stability/inter/agility to a separate switch so I could switch between them in any flight mode. Stability works as advertised, makes it fly like a FP flybar heli without the penduluming. I took it up to 20m inverted and hit the panic button and it worked perfectly also, flipped that sucker straight back over! Agility gives you the full performance range, intermediate feels like 70/30 DR/Expo

For any moderately competent pilot, the 230 should be a joy, a stick banging 3D merchant would probably want to look elsewhere for kicks. I'm not ashamed to admit that the 180CFX, whilst a beautifully put together heli, is just a bit too much for my abilities and eyesight. The 230 instantly went to the top of my favourite helis list and will take some dislodging.

Inverted2112, I'm not going to try to talk you out of getting one!
Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 230 is still one of my fav heli to fly, not quite as agile as my 180, but still a blast ...Get one you wont be sorry...
ks9818 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright alright... Stopping at the LHS in the morning.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice, I love mine.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=teepeedoubleyou;6686075]

For any moderately competent pilot, the 230 should be a joy, a stick banging 3D merchant would probably want to look elsewhere for kicks. I'm not ashamed to admit that the 180CFX, whilst a beautifully put together heli, is just a bit too much for my abilities and eyesight. The 230 instantly went to the top of my favorite helis list and will take some dislodging.

I couldn't agree with you more about the 180cfx, I really liked the machine but its needs that head speed and you have to be on the sticks all the time. It is more for the stick bangers in my opinion and that is why I sold mine.
The 270cfx has my attention but I am afraid it may be to much like the 180cfx with the higher disk loading and speed.
I am thinking the 230, for me with my style for the back yard might be the ticket.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted2112 View Post
Alright alright... Stopping at the LHS in the morning.
Good, the rest of us on this thread will all hit up Horizon for the commission

You won't regret your purchase!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, its awesome.....

What a cool little heli. Only thing I did was move the channel for switching between "modes" to a different switch so that I could leave it in 3D mode full time and use the flight mode switch just to control throttle curves.

Seriously, I love this little thing....
Old 10-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted2112 View Post
Alright, its awesome.....

What a cool little heli. Only thing I did was move the channel for switching between "modes" to a different switch so that I could leave it in 3D mode full time and use the flight mode switch just to control throttle curves.

Seriously, I love this little thing....
I did the same as you, so I can flick between stability/inter/agility in any flight mode. Works well.

I have to say, this really is the perfect heli for me. If they'd brought it out 4 years ago I would have spent several thousand $ less on helicopters and parts in search of heli nirvana.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still having an absolute blast with the 2 of these we have at the field.

We put more packs through these last night than anything else we brought down.

Blade scrapes are a trip too, we'll have to try to grab some video one night this week of the 2 of them scraping it up side by side..
Old 10-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Brian Langston was flying these all last weekend at Ash Creek. Could not find a B.L. Ash Creek video, but here are a couple others of his.

Blade 230s Unboxing (1 min 55 sec)

This next video is similar to flights of his we watched all weekend.

Blade 230s 3D Test (3 min 57 sec)

Blade gets good marketing value having Brian as a rep. He is excellent.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in