Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Main Forum - Multirotor Talk

Main Forum - Multirotor Talk General Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
If I were Vulcan...and I'm not, although I have been accused of being "too perfect" with My micro setup procedures...

I think My response to LEO (and all his FAA/DOT cronies) would be...

Go To Hell

That's just plain disrepectful. Disagree with the people that make the rules all you want, but don't take it out on the ones that are just doing their job of enforcing them. If you want to debate the law, do it in a courtroom or at the legislature, not on the street.

EDIT: Full context of the original post restored in the interest of fairness, but obviously I still don't get the joke that's supposed to be there.

Last edited by flightengr; 10-21-2015 at 05:30 PM..
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

You've taken My post slightly out of context...and I'm not Vulcan

Lighten up
Old 10-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
The AMA has a lot of heli pilots in their membership as well, so I'm not sure where this would leave them. I think it's only the multi-rotors the AMA is looking to separate out, but I'm not sure how you draw the line between that and a conventional-style heli. They both have the same VTOL capability and therefore can be flown anywhere in theory, so I don't know how you can exclude one and not the other!
Maybe they can try to unfairly define it as any craft with more than 1 or 2 rotors. I don't know. See I know they said "traditional model aircraft" would be protected so that assumes helis would be find. but that brings up an interesting points are quads really "traditional", hmm not really.

Too much vagueness in all of this from all sides.

JohnCC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

The "vagueness" comes from all the hype over the announcement, and the subsequent "reads" by the HF community...

FAA/DOT do NOT have a proposal...

Monday's announcement was to form a task force to draft and discuss proposals for regulation of aircraft to control the recent wave of incidents

AMA will be a part of the task force, and a loud voice for the hobby

Want to help? Join AMA and you local club...

AMA succeeded in getting the amendment is 2012, they can do it again
Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Guys, the Feds are giving us a chance to voice our opinion on these 10 questions... just follow the link at the bottom.

1. What methods are available for identifying individual products? Does every UAS sold have an individual serial number? Is there another method for identifying individual products sold without serial numbers or those built from kits?
2. At what point should registration occur (e.g. point-of-sale or prior-to-operation)? How should transfers of ownership be addressed in registration?
3. If registration occurs at point-of-sale, who should be responsible for submission of the data? What burdens would be placed on vendors of UAS if DOT required registration to occur at point-of-sale? What are the advantages of a point-of-sale approach relative to a prior-to-operation approach?
4. Consistent with past practice of discretion, should certain UAS be excluded from registration based on performance capabilities or other characteristics that could be associated with safety risk, such as weight, speed, altitude operating limitations, duration of flight? If so, please submit information or data to help support the suggestions, and whether any other criteria should be considered.
5. How should a registration process be designed to minimize burdens and best protect innovation and encourage growth in the UAS industry?
6. Should the registration be electronic or web-based? Are there existing tools that could support an electronic registration process?
7. What type of information should be collected during the registration process to positively identify the aircraft owner and aircraft?
8. How should the registration data be stored? Who should have access to the registration data? How should the data be used?
9. Should a registration fee be collected and if so, how will the registration fee be collected if registration occurs at point-of-sale? Are there payment services that can be leveraged to assist (e.g. PayPal)?
10. Are there additional means beyond aircraft registration to encourage accountability and responsible use of UAS?

http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitC...2015-4378-0022
Spyder3534 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, look. That's cute. This is familiar.

This is the part where they pretend to care about public opinion to make it seem like there is some sort of process to feel involved and engaged in until they turn around do what they want anyway.

I will fill it out anyway with something later as should everyone, but I've become jaded to things like that actually accomplishing much.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder3534 View Post
I am worried that registration will open up the ability for law enforcement to start unnecessarily hassling pilots.

That said I think that registration is a good idea, especially for birds that are GPS enabled and have an FPV downlink, its just too easy to fly out of LOS right out of the box.

As far as I'm concerned, because I already have my name and number written on my quad, I am already in compliance with what they are trying to do.
I have several friends in law enforcement and I've talked to them about this issue. Not a single one of them thinks this will change anything they do on a daily basis. There will of course always be exceptions to the rule.... Some board cop with nothing to do and a power trip type attitude. But the rest of them just laughed it off. Every one of them said that if you are flying within the rules , there is nothing to worry about. It's when your neighbor calls the cops that they will have to get involved but none of them want to "hassle" the pilots. Hell , a couple of them wanted to see and fly my multi rotor. I think one , that is a corporal and one that is a Sargent in our local sheriffs office are going to go buy their own. The sarg said he was gonna get the chroma. Just gotta out do me with my qx3 !!!
Russrcfan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I should add that I live in a smaller community however. But that's part of the reason I moved here from Seattle. No relationships like that with cops in the big city.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't help but wonder if filling out their forms and questionnaires is just another way to start collecting names of who should be registering.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
If I were Vulcan...and I'm not, although I have been accused of being "too perfect" with My micro setup procedures...

I think My response to LEO (and all his FAA/DOT cronies) would be...

Go To Hell

Good luck with that.

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

We don't have these rules here in the UK yet but most clubs require you to have insurance:

https://bmfa.org

And they have some guidlines oin quads:

https://bmfa.org/Info/Model-Flying-T...erson-View-FPV

https://bmfa.org/Multi-Rotors

There also this:

http://noflydrones.co.uk/map-drone-no-fly-zones-uk

And the CAA:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx??c...0&pageid=17054

But most rules are for camera drones.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:27 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

All these rules. Takes all the fun out of the hobby.

You will soon need a licence to fly a damn kite
Old 11-04-2015, 05:37 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Better just to remove cameras and fly line of sight.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the USA, camera or not will not matter. In my state of New Jersey, they tried to go after just the camera aspect of the drone and the ACLU fought it because you cannot legally ban people from taking pictures in public, and that includes "government infrastructure"...

They were trying to make it a serious fine to take unauthorized images of "telecommunications, highways..." it was a severe first amendment / freedom of press violation. I don't think the propsal has gotten any farther because of that.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the UK we have more CCTV than anywhere in Europe but when you fly a quad in the park or public place you get funny looks also people assume that you have a camera on your quad wherever you go.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Me and a friend were flying at night last week over the old airfield by mine,bout 3 batteries in we see a guy approaching turned out to be a policemen who was checking as there were reports of strange lights by a local resident lol he was right into it asking loads of questions where to buy one which ones to avoid etc think in all my time flying over the last few years only 2 members of the public have asked if I have a camera on there,most just ask are they easy to fly so I give them the RTH demo and so nah

my mate flys fpv but I always spot for him etc
Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

The one question no one has asked is:
"HOW MUCH WILL REGISTRATION COST?"

And what will it be based on? Will it be a flat rate for all, or "progressive" pricing according to what type/size of multi you have. What will be the cost difference between my 350QX and a 950 Octo with retracts and a 3 axis gimbal for a high end cine-cam? Will there be an "extra" fee for FPV systems?

This thing is so ripe for abuse that it's nauseating.

This is the government we're dealing with. Whether you think it's about more 'control' over our lives and what we do for recreation or alleged "air safety" isn't the point. To me, the biggest point in question is who is going to profit from this?

Whenever the govt, regardless of the agency or bureaucracy gets involved, it's always about money.

And the "public input" BS? Yeah, right....like their actually going to listen to us. They are going to do whatever they damn well please and the only way WE will have any say in the matter is in a courtroom or thru the legislature.
S'aaruuk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Read this article this morning...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mmended-rules/

It basically says that there going to be a > 0.5 lb weight limit and that the registration will just be some online form you fill out. Then you just need to display your name and number on your quad. No fee.
Spyder3534 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

"It was chaired by Earl Lawrence, the director of the FAA’s drone integration office and Dave Vos, who leads Google’s drone efforts."

Great. Google is exactly who we want representing us all, right?

0.5 pounds is like 230 grams. And eflite 3000mah battery weighs about that for Christ's sake! This classification comes as no surprise to me. Why there were some vehement doubters and that this was all just to regulate large commercial drones is beyond me.

The writing is on the wall, the big corporations do not want you and I flying 350qx or anything that literallu isn't toy grade around in the sky. They want it for themselves and their own business interests. American legislation process at its finest these days.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is excellent
Drone Registration (rant) (18 min 15 sec)
4_Props is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in