Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 700X

Blade 700X Blade 700X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 700 x general questions

Hello, first off as its my first post I'd like to introduce myself...My name is Tim, and I am somewhat recently back into helis and r/c after a long hiatus. Years ago I had a Kyosho concept 30 and wow have things changed. I'm at about the year mark back into the hobby and it has been quite a journey learning all about fbl systems, lipo power, brushless motors and the list would go on and on. Anyways, my newest heli is a brand new blade 700x kit. I got my hands on a full combo with the CC 120hv, eflight 520kv motor, ar7200bx and revolution blades. I am currently running it on two 6s Electron 60c 5000mah batteries which so far have balanced well. "Not too many cycles yet though" So my questions for any seasoned veterans of this heli are....
1- the blade grips have mabey 1mm of play parallel with the shaft, is this normal?
2- gear mesh on the tail and main gear? I'm to assume there should be just the slightest amount of backlash on all the gears? I ended up shimming the rear tail case but haven't the front. As far as the main gear I pushed the motor up tight, then let just the slightest amount of pressure off.
3- I seem to have a fair amount of vibration/wobbke at spool up/spool down. Is this normal? I've seen many many videos of helis spooling up so smoothly. Also the heli want to turn on its axis alot when spooling up. I have to wrestle the tail to keep it held in the heading while spooling up.
4- I have a dx6i and now a dx6 g2 which I'm programming for use next flight. I'm still at a loss where I should have the tail gyro gain as a good starting point.

I appreciate any input, and also keep in mind ive read many many posts/threads trying to educate myself, but as so much has changed and is new, and helis are so much more powerful and "dangerous", I want to make sure I am flying a safe and balanced bird and haven't missed some tip or trick that may be out there for the 700x.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Tim
TimBaconHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wooohoooo!!!!!

Nice man!!! 700x is alive and well,,, I got two!

Let's shim those grips. No play unacceptable. During my build I encounter that problem made me furious that my new kit need shims and it was a small $$$ I remember.-

Tail Gears here's the gravy: YOU must shim this to perfection, to get this right I recommend Nick Maxwells video on the E700 it's similar to the 700X no play of any kind lateral or up and down. Make you tail stops soft in your FBL to hard on the gears & wears them prematurely.

Main gear cut bible thin paper.- make a strip roll between gear and motor pinion set screws remove paper check has to have a bit it play just a tad.-

UPGRADE THAT RADIO NOW!!! That's how much difference it will make.

Giro 55

700x is light fast and agile when set up right it's one good friend! Try slow RPMs 1760 1869 1960
Old 11-05-2015, 04:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Update, horizon is sending me a new feathering shaft to try, I shimmer all tail gears and installed the new tail boom case they sent me which seems to have much better tolerance and molding than the one from the kit. I set main gear mesh and will rebuild the head as soon as I get the new shaft. I programmed the heli in my dx6 g2 and bench tested. With no blades on the heli is buttery smooth and seems to free-wheel very well so I'm hoping the drive train is spot on? If I can get rid of the nasty vibe when spooling I'll be a very happy camper. Also I went through the ar7200 parameter menu and noticed it was in sport and not transmitter mode, so I adjusted and as I understand it now my radio controls expo and rates right? Hopefully I get the shaft and can get a test flight in this weekend and get some airtime with her before winter. Thanks,
Tim
Old 11-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yes!!!

Sport will be soft... Use transmitter mode ! Do have a bit of expo 15 should be ok!

Sweet! If the spindle dosent fix it just shim it!

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2015, 04:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a quick update.... so I swapped the feathering shaft out and it still has the 1mm lateral play in the head. Spoke with horizon again and they say there should be no shimming needed in the head so they are now sending me a new head. All I can say is the customer service with horizon has been exemplary. So fingers crossed it works, if not then a couple shims will be used. Basically I have all winter to tune and tinker and get it spot on for next season so I'm not stressing too much. I'm leaning towards dropping a edge 160hv in there instead of the 120 for headroom and perhaps the newer beastx fbl. Also I've replaced the stock tail servo horn with a jr heavy duty standard arm. I have 10-12mm now, much less throw than stock so again.....fingers crossed.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Updates ...

Mmm I tried that, building 3 heads still needed to shim.-

The tail servo arm, was another discovery after many debates the original plastic star arm that comes with the 600 kit is the one that fitted and worked properly to the exact mm they wanted I remember this vaguely. Please do a search for accurate information.

160 amp is over kill in my opinion, this Heli is so light...

Have fun!!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I agree 160 seems overkill for this particular heli from what I've read, but..... After many years out of the hobby, and coming back like this to such high powered impressive helis, I'm finding I tend to out fly the power systems alot. Now I do not mean I'm doing some crazy 3d flying etc. What I mean is I have very poor management on the collective and seem to string together just the right, or wrong, however you look at it, set of manuvers together to overheat the esc etc. As my flying progresses I'm having more and more esc's drop out of the sky shut down due to overtemp/current etc. I 100% attribute it to my flying and not the products at this point, im working on it.... But when it comes to a couple thousand dollars in the sky, I'd like a little wiggle room in my mind hence looking at the 160 as its on sale atm. For safety's sake I'm in the process of installing a tm1000 for telemetry with temp on the esc and flight and receiver pack voltage, and intend on logging as much data as I can through the esc and tm1000 this spring when when I start truly flying her, but in my mind I see no reason not to go 160hv, only headroom to work with. Am I missing something? Is the 120hv a tougher esc than I'm expecting? Any input is appreciated and yes, I'm working on a more managed flying regimen. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tim bacon!!

How's that coming??

Old 11-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's coming good, installed the tm1000 telemetry module for flight pack voltage/w alarms through the spektrum dx6, as well as receiver voltage and I'm building the cable this week to connect the white wire from the CC edgeHV esc to the tm1000 for rpm output so I can see for sure how well my govoner headspeed is that I set up last weekend. I went with a setup similar to James Haleys. I shimmed the heck out of the front and rear tail case and went through the ar7200bx setup and the mechanicals of the head many, many, many times. I wasn't happy with where the swash centered and there was a bit of binding at full negative pitch with hard right aileron so I tried my best to tune that out with the links and fbl setup. There is just sooooo much to learn and then apply it can be somewhat overwhelming at times. As it sits now I have spun her up in the back yard but not flown it since the recent work so I don't know the fruits of my labor just yet. Hopefully this weelend I can get a cpl hours to go see how it behaves in the sky. I do know from what little bit of testing I've done since swapping the stock tail servo arm for the jr horn i can bump the gain up a bit and not get the wag on quick collective pops. Anyways, it seems like it will be a very fun heli and I cannot wait to get it dialed in and tearing up the sky's this summer.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Update, more questions....

So, as an update I have successfully link'd the castle edge 120hv to the tm1000 via the white wire for rpm output. I ended up making the harness a y harness so in the future when I upgrade the ar7200bx to a new flybarrless with an e-govoner I can just connect it and disco the castle gov. I must say I'm really digging the telemetry and having access to instant information about my packs and headspeed as well as esc temp in the air. And being a little bit of a geek when it comes to data the log files are the icing on the cake. Anyways, my questions are, has anyone tried the 715mm cyclones on the 700x? And also I have ordered every pinion available from horizon and has anyone played around with different pinions on the stock motor to achieve different headspeeds? Any input and experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wondering about using the white wire from the ESC. I've connected RPM sensors to the motor leads on 3 helis, the only one that worked was on a 6 cell. I've never tried using the ESC white wire. How does it connect to the TM unit? I'm thinking that the telemetry unit has a 2 lead input.
vebbyson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was not too difficult. Spent more time on the phone with castle, and horizon trying to see if they were compatible. Ultimately neither horizon nor castle could answer my question so I wentered ahead and did it anyway under the guise that the castle white wire when set to rpm out is just a recurring signal pulse at every electrical commutation of the motor. I was right, and it worked. Now there are three wires on the tm1000. You only need to send signal to one, I believe the brown/tan wire on the tm1000 data lead. I basically grabbed a spektrum data lead, a servo extension and cut/soldered and heatshrunk as custom harness, and as I said previously I made it a y harness so when I get a new fbl I can output rpm to both the tm1000 and the fbl for e-govoner function. I can say the data from the tm1000 seems to be very accurate and doesent seem to suffer like I've read about using the spektrum phase sensor. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, as an update, it flies great. Well, as great as It can until I get over the pucker factor and start translating the manuvers I do on my smaller helis to the 700. Thanks to the unseasonably warm temps, 50 degrees in December, I've had the chance to get my basic tune done and had a few flights around the field with it. Everything seems to be breaking in, smoothing out. I have a few minor things to play with but I think it's set until this coming spring when I can hopefully hammer on it. The flight packs are in the fridge, and it's off to the sim for the winter I guess.I have a feeling though before it flies again it's going to have cyclone 715's, cyclone 115/105 tails,a cc edge 160 and mabey a different pinion "depends on what headspeed feels right". I also ordered the microheli tail pitch arm "aluminum" and a boom support brace. I'm probably going to swap out the anti rotation with the aluminum one as well, I know completely unnecessary but the aluminum looks so much better than the plastic. Lol Thanks for the help on this forum everyone.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 715s!!!

Yeah!! 715's !!!

I still prefer the Cyclones 695's & 115 tails that's what I been running for some time, in this machine & it's just purrrfeeeccctt!

Guilty ! I been flying my Protos V2 more... The 700x is sad.-

Last edited by snapcrklpop_g; 12-21-2015 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Guilty as charged !
snapcrklpop_g is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I've pretty much decided on the cyclones. Seem to be a popular blade with the flying style I'm adopting. An employee of my LHS is going to let me try a set of SAB blades he has, 710's I believe, and if I like then I can buy them cheap. If anything they can accompany the revolutions as backup blades or something to throw on a new build to get it airborne etc. I'm wondering how the cyclones would stand up to some stall turn speed runs? Uggh, I've seen way to many videos of 16-24s speed machines tearing up the sky as of lately, and I'm getting the itch. It probably won't be with this heli, but a future build is defiantly going to be at least 16s geared more twords speed. The sound of a heli screaming by at 140+ mph is, well, unique and defiantly seems like it would get the adrenaline pumping. Boy has this hobby turned into more of an addiction. I can say without question I never dreamed I'd get hooked so quick and so hard. I liken it to aerial crack or something. Lol and so does the wife....:/ may or may not have gotten the "seriously" eyes as I set up my laptop next to her on the couch last night so I can practice tic-tocs, flips and rainbows on the sim... it's good to hear a positive review of the cyclones though, thanks for the input.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

That motor really doesn't put out the power you would think. A 120hv is PLENTY of esc with a lot of head room. The heli is light. Specs are 80 amps Burst. If you want to future proof it and maybe someday throw a 850mx motor into it then yeah a 160 for sure. If you want to stick with the stock 700 motor and save money, get the 120hv. I have a Align 700e DFC with the 750mx that does 100a/165amp burst with a 120hv and have 0 issues.
sunsetmaro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in