Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > HeliFreak.com Rules, Support and Testing > Other Websites > RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner

RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner for Suggestions and Announcements from RCHN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jeti RFID Build thread

For Justin... so here is my build thread to let Jeti have a battery RFID tag reader. Usual disclaimer: Use at your own risk
Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	620631

Name:	jetiss.png
Views:	379
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	620814

What I used:
  • Arduino Nano (Nano V3.0 ATmega328 16M Micro-controller CH340G Board + Mini USB for Arduino) - £3.29 from ebay
  • RFID Reader/Writer (Sintron] RC522 RFID Reader / Writer Module kit with SPI for Arduino PIC) - £5.75 from Amazon
  • MiFare Classic 1K RFID cards (Set of 10 Adhesive NFC Badges - 1024 Bytes - 30mm White - 3M Adhesive Surface)- Not tried these yet but should work - £11.94 from Amazon
  • Servo connector + wire
  • Double sided foam tape
  • 70mm heatshink
  • 4.7k resistor

This website here is where the thanks should go for this effort:
http://www.rcmarket.net/cmsj/index.p...-sensor/detail

I substituted the RFID reader for the “inclinometer”. The RFID code I have only works on the old classic style MiFare Classic 1kb RFID’s and not the NDEF formatted tags that it sounds like the revo stuff is using. However it is “just some code” that would be needed to write and read them (the byte layout of the card is different and the NDEF format allows you to discover the types written without needing to know how the developer has organised their byte layout).

I like the little nano card as it has a 5v reg on it so it works in my HV setups. The other cool thing with this is that you could add other sensors to the ardu and have them working really easily.

Also as the iCharger USB protocol is published (with sample code) http://www.foxtechfpv.com/product/ch...S_Protocol.pdf
it should be possible to iBump the iCharger.

Back to the build…

Build up the circuit as follows:

Name:	RFIDCircuit.png
Views:	845
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	620630

I removed the header pins from the Nano card and the RFID reader so i could put them on top of each other separated by some foam tape and cover the whole thing in heatshrink. I then cut out a small area for the USB plug for any updates etc.

Download the Arduino software from:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Open the Arduino Studio software to let it setup all your folders

Download the code from my dropbox (it is not great but works ):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37919202/RFID.zip

Unzip the code and copy the three folders to your Arduino folder (usually within your ‘Documents’ folder) .

Open the BatteryRFIDSetup file. There are three values in there that you have to modify for each tag you want to use.
uBatteryID = the battery pack number
uCapacity = set this to the mah Capacity you want to be reported / use for an alarm
uCycles = set to the number of cycles you have put on your packs so far. After about a minute the pack count will be increased when on the heli. Make sure the RFID tags keeps in distance (~1-2 cm) to the reader to enable this to happen on the heli.
  • Upload the code to the board
  • In the Tools menu - select Serial Monitor
  • push the reset button on the board
  • you should see in the serial monitor “Scan a MIFARE Classic card"
  • put a tag on the reader and leave it there

Repeat the above steps with the values for each pack.

Open the BatteryRFID file and upload it to your board. Mount in the heli. Connect up to an Ext port on the receiver/expander and follow the usual steps in the Jeti to get the sensors setup.

Cheers,
Alastair
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ss.png
Views:	344
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	620632  
Member of East Fortune Aeromodellers

Last edited by AlastairC; 11-22-2015 at 09:17 AM..
AlastairC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think it's awesome you did this! I think it will be a great day when everyone can enjoy how cool this is going to be.

Great job man!
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great job

I will be building one of these for sure.

Jeti DS24
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow really neat! So no software is required for the Jeti? How does the pack capacity alarm change based on the pack used?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Woot woot! This is bad ass, dude! Picking up my hardware today. Can't wait to get building...

So you think the Revo tags are compatible with this design with some extra coding?

Also, I like your idea of bumping the iChargers too. That would be a cool little feature for those with a Jeti and iCharger.

This is why I love Arduino combined with Jeti's willingness to support 3rd party development. The sky is the limit! I'm going to have to scheme up some additional cool winter projects. Hmmm...
Justin Pucci is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am too interested in the bumping for iCharger... how difficult should this be to achieve?
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been doing something similar with a RaspberryPi with a RFID reader for the bump station, the Hyperion EOS chargers, and vcontrol on board reader.

Mikado tags appear to be MiFare Classic, and it just uses the tag ID. So you can buy the stickers like above or other forms for use with the vcontrol reader. I was thinking of writing more to the tag for the charge info, just as AlistairC has done.

I have reversed engineered some of the EOS protocol (it is a serial protocol converted to USB using a FTDI chip). Is it of interest to come up with a more general solution and not just Jeti and iCharger?

This was going to be my winter project so I have not delved deeply into it yet, but since others are playing here I thought I would see what the general interest is.
Amok Tim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Wow really neat! So no software is required for the Jeti? How does the pack capacity alarm change based on the pack used?
Telemetry Controls should do the trick.

I am also getting this hardware and will be joining in on the discussion.

Thank you AlastairC!
markrj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Found some code that might be useful for NDEF detection and writing to it.

void loop(void) {
uint8_t * uid = mifare.readTarget();
if(uid){
Serial.println(Mifare::cardType == MIFARE_CLASSIC ?"Classic" : "Ultralight");
memset(payload, 0, PAYLOAD_SIZE);

//read

mifare.readPayload(payload, PAYLOAD_SIZE);

FOUND_MESSAGE m = NDEF().decode_message(payload);

switch(m.type){
case NDEF_TYPE_URI:
Serial.print("URI: ");
Serial.println((int)m.format);
Serial.println((char*) m.payload);
break;
case NDEF_TYPE_TEXT:
Serial.print("TEXT: ");
Serial.println(m.format);
Serial.println((char*)m.payload);
break;
case NDEF_TYPE_MIME:
Serial.print("MIME: ");
Serial.println(m.format);
Serial.println((char*)m.payload);
break;
default:
Serial.println("unsupported");
break;
}
}
delay(2000);
}

Ordering up some hardware. Should I get the Arduino Uno too? I'm new to Arduino but not to programming. Been doing that for most of my life. I figured I would get 2, Nanos and 2, Sintron RC522 RFID Reader / Writer Module kits with SPI to start, but the Uno looks pretty sweet too.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hardware ordered. I went with this RFID card reader.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262136732813

It looks identical to the Sintron. If they don't work, they were cheap enough. lol
Old 11-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

All,

Kids and work take over.. so replies may be slow.

OnTheSnap: I had hoped that I could compare the mah Capacity value with the Jlog but I can't find how to do that on the Jeti. So you would have to use a multiway switch as set it up with the pack sizes and use the value on the tx to decide which value to use.

However.... I have just ordered an Allegro AC758 200A sensor (about $10.. this seems to be the common one most of the companies use) and with a couple a small caps and a resistor it will plug into the arduino and I can integrate that over time to get the mah consumed and then send an alarm. Already found some code to do this and will add to the build thread when it arrives. So for about $20 you can have RFID and a fuel spent gauge )

Re. The iCharger. There is a link in the document I referred to. You can download full source code to configure and start and read the charger setup. So it should not be too difficult to do.. just need time. AmokTim.. yes I have started to use a PI to do this.. no reverse engineering required for the protocol here

MarkRJ... yes that code looks about right. There are a are examples around. I just don't have a VControl or Revo tag to try. I picked the nano as it is small and has the USB onboard and a 5v reg so works up to 12v.. but any should work.

Cheers,
Alastair
Old 11-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlastairC View Post
OnTheSnap: I had hoped that I could compare the mah Capacity value with the Jlog but I can't find how to do that on the Jeti.
Should be doable using telemetry controls.

Jeti DS24
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2015, 05:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Really cool that you are doing this. Way over my head but I will follow this thread to try and learn something. Wish someone could do some of this ground work for a DX8 although I guess that radio is kind of dead now. It kills me to not have mah usage telemetry.

Sorry for the derail question but is there any current info on mah telemetry for the DX8?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelinpr View Post
Really cool that you are doing this. Way over my head but I will follow this thread to try and learn something. Wish someone could do some of this ground work for a DX8 although I guess that radio is kind of dead now. It kills me to not have mah usage telemetry.

Sorry for the derail question but is there any current info on mah telemetry for the DX8?
Yes but the solution I used depends on what esc you have. This is the device that I run on my helis and it worked well pre-jeti days with my DX8 and DX18: http://j-log.eu
Old 11-24-2015, 03:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz76 View Post
Should be doable using telemetry controls.
That would be great. The current sensor should be here by the end of the week so will hopefully start to be able to play with that as a 'Plan B'.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know the Jeti is a good radio, but a lot of the telemetry you are looking for is already available:

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sp-15...mp-sensor.html

Rick
rickn816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok all. So here is an update to take an Allegro 758 precision hall effect current sensor. So now the Jeti will report current and percentage of the pack left.

Allegro do multiple ones to support different currents (you can get them for around $10 from ebay). Pick the unidirectional one closest to your ESC size / max continuous current as this will give the best resolution to read. More details on this chip (most of the good current sensors seem to use these) are here:
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Produ...Cs/ACS758.aspx

I have updated the BatteryRFID.ino code here. I have it setup for the 200A sensor. You will need to change the code (directions in the code) to suit your choice:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...atteryRFID.ino

Here is an updated circuit diagram.

Name:	rfid with ACS758.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	622346
I just soldered the two caps and resistor directly onto the ACS758 legs and put some foam tape to make sure they do not touch. This made a really tiny package. Also the legs a big solid copped legs for the +ve battery/esc lead. I suggest splitting the wire into two bundles and soldering either side of the leg to maximise surface area current transfer. And as always use a clean tip

You will need to refresh the Jeti sensor settings and you will now have current and percentage left now passed pack. The percentage left is based on the mah used over the total capacity from the RFID reading. It also now increments the pack usage count once 50mah have been used.

Rick.. yes you can get telemetry sensors for other radios.. the point was a rfid setup so folks could change pack capacities and fly on the capacity not a timer. Also this is a bit of fun.. and the total cost is less than many single sensors alone

I have only managed a bench test as the weather sucks here (both high winds and rain).

Enjoy!!!

Cheers,
Alastair
Old 01-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am going to build the circuit this weekend. The Arduino Nanos and Card Reader/Writers arrived last week but I have been swamped at work and exhausted at night.

Anyway, I have a question on the circuit diagram re: the resistor.

I "highlighted" my area of question in the attachment.

Does one end of the resistor get soldered to pin D4 and the other end to pin D5?

Thanks! Really looking forward to getting this to work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rfid with ACS758_Q1.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	628747  
Old 01-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The label is above the pins in the diagram(yea it's not a great image to use but it was what I could find without redrawing). So it is D3 and D4 that you solder the resistor between.

Have fun

Cheers,
Alastair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
I am going to build the circuit this weekend. The Arduino Nanos and Card Reader/Writers arrived last week but I have been swamped at work and exhausted at night.

Anyway, I have a question on the circuit diagram re: the resistor.

I "highlighted" my area of question in the attachment.

Does one end of the resistor get soldered to pin D4 and the other end to pin D5?

Thanks! Really looking forward to getting this to work.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome. Thanks Alastair! I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by markrj; 01-08-2016 at 06:19 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in