Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Nano CPS

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dlgnut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How the CPS flight modes work, and how to set up the Nano CPS

It has been frustrating working out how to set up my CPS to get the Stability/Agility/3D modes plus Rescue function to work correctly.
I am using a JR pcm9X2 (aka X9303) and an Orange DSM2/x tx module, but the below holds true for any transmitter, so thought I would share what I have learnt. The below applies to the computer radio binding.

The CPS has two LEDs to show the mode the FBL controller is in. The Blue LED indicates Stability Mode (flight mode sw 0), which is also the Rescue Mode (it took me a while to realize they are one and the same).
The Red LED indicates the Agility and 3D modes. The difference between Agility and 3D mode is determined by the throttle curves programmed for flight mode switch pos. 1 and flight mode switch pos. 2. So the FBL controller only has 2 flight modes: Blue LED on = Stability/Rescue Mode and Red LED on = Agility/3D mode (and both Blue and Red on for drift calibration mode).
HH have implemented the flight mode control on Gear channel 5. The CPS is always in Stability/Rescue Mode with the Blue LED on, except when Ch 5 is around 0 (Agility mode) or around -100 (3D mode). Now here comes the fun bit: on my JR/Orange tx combo, -100 does NOT give me 3D mode. My CPS only goes into 3D mode when Ch 5 is between -96 and -72!!! With my flight mode switch in pos. 2 I used End Point Adjust on Ch 5 to determine these limits by watching when the red LED goes on and off, and then decided to set my end point in the middle of that range at -85% for 3D mode.

Similarly, I checked the limits for Agility, which I found to be between -43 and 46%, so I left my Gear channel at 0 for Agility mode. I would have used Sub Trim to adjust this value if it had been necessary.

To avoid needing another channel for the Rescue function, HH use a programmed offset to tell the CPS to go into Rescue mode, i.e. to make it go from Red LED to Blue LED on. For Rescue mode I used Mix 4 to add a positive offset to any of the three flight mode switch positions on Ch 5 when I hit the Rescue switch, so that the Rescue switch shifts the Gear Channel out of the red 3D and Agility zones into blue Rescue/Stability mode.

My mix details are:
In Device Select, I set the GEAR SW to INH (Inhibit) so that I can control the Gear channel using my mixes below.
I use Mix 1 to mix my flight mode switch to the Gear channel FMOD -> GEAR (pos 0 = Stability, pos 1 = Agility, pos 2 = 3d)
I use Mix 4 to mix my AUX2 switch to GEAR to provide the offset for Rescue mode as follows:
Pos0 +100% Pos1 +75%
0% 0%
Offset +100

In summary:
Flight Mode switch pos 0 = Stability Mode - Blue LED (Throttle Curve as per NORM curve)
Flight Mode switch pos 1 = Agility Mode - Red LED (Throttle Curve as per ST-1 curve)
Flight Mode switch pos 2 = 3D Mode - Red LED (Throttle Curve as per ST-2 curve)

Rescue Mode switch pos 0 = normal flight - LED as per flight mode above
Rescue Mode switch pos 1 = panic recovery mode - Blue LED

Checking zero pitch:
Thanks to BryanVines for the tip on setting zero pitch at mid stick: Plug in the flight battery with the transmitter turned off, the 3-in-1 will initialize, flash its blue LED rapidly, and centre the servos. The gyro isn't active, so the 3-in-1 doesn't move the swash. At this point you can unplug the flight battery and do what you need to do with regard to adjusting the links.
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=18
Canopy Rubbing against the 3-in-1 board
Some of the problem with the stability of the CPS may be due to the canopy touching the 3-in-1 board.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=721341
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear ch setup.jpg
Views:	5149
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	624875  
Mrowka likes this.

Last edited by dlgnut; 12-15-2015 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: Added an image
dlgnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Thank you very much!

Great job! This information is very useful.
Tigron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgnut View Post
The CPS has two LEDs to show the mode the FBL controller is in. The Blue LED indicates Stability Mode (flight mode sw 0), which is also the Rescue Mode (it took me a while to realize they are one and the same).
The Red LED indicates the Agility and 3D modes. The difference between Agility and 3D mode is determined by the throttle curves programmed for flight mode switch pos. 1 and flight mode switch pos. 2. So the FBL controller only has 2 flight modes: Blue LED on = Stability/Rescue Mode and Red LED on = Agility/3D mode (and both Blue and Red on for drift calibration mode
I recall reading somewhere that the difference between 3d and agility mode is more than just throttle curves in the transmitter. Rather, the heli itself has maximum rates that change with the mode. That is, 100% rates on agility is not the same as 100% rates in 3d mode. Would be nice if this could be confirmed.
Xypheron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypheron View Post
I recall reading somewhere that the difference between 3d and agility mode is more than just throttle curves in the transmitter. Rather, the heli itself has maximum rates that change with the mode. That is, 100% rates on agility is not the same as 100% rates in 3d mode. Would be nice if this could be confirmed.
The rates are adjusted through the radio, agility and 3d modes are the same like op says, you can program 100% DR's in iu1 (agility) and 100% throttle curve and it will fly exactly the same as iu2 (3d mode).
Old 12-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is meant in the HH description:

3d mode: "Your chance to feel what a real 3D helicopter is like comes when you select 3D Mode from the transmitter. This mode turns up the flip and roll rate so you can explore your 3D capability."

It doesn't sound like throttle curve. I have not advanced to 3d to be able to tell if there is a difference.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What is meant in the HH description:

3d mode: "Your chance to feel what a real 3D helicopter is like comes when you select 3D Mode from the transmitter. This mode turns up the flip and roll rate so you can explore your 3D capability."

It doesn't sound like throttle curve. I have not advanced to 3d to be able to tell if there is a difference.
It's the DR's (dual rates) for elevator axis (flips) and aileron axis (rolls).
Raising them gives you faster rolls and flips. The book has you set them higher for 3d mode and lower for agility mode. 100% is still pretty slow, 125 is better but still not exactly blazing.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi.

I'm using a dx6i with my nano cps. i only have 2 switch position on this radio. As per manual, there's no way to have the 3 flight mode on the dx6i. Only the stabilized one (blue led) and 3 mode (red led).

Someone here got the solution to have the 3 flight mode on the dx6i. But you loose the panic button. All the 3 flight mode are working good.

To resume i have the first one (blue led) with all swith to 0, the iu1 (red led) when i switch the gyro/flap to 1, and iu2 (red led) when i switch F-mode (still with gyro/flap tp 1). I do not use dual rate. 100% travel on all channels and 15% expo.

But i'm only have two way for the throttle and pitch curve. Normal and stunt on the dx6i. So i put a 0 50 100 100 100 throttle curve for use in both normal and iu1.

So the only difference for the nano cps in iu1 and iu2 is the throttle/pitch curve. On the box it's write that the third flight mode give more angle for hard 3d. How is it possible ? I can't see any difference between these 2 mode (of course without trying some invert or any flip in iu1)
rcoxiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did not read anything in the manual that linked flight modes and dual rates with regard to the dual rate switch. For the dx6, there are only two dual rates. I will try to find the post that made reference to the heli impacting the rates in addition to the transmitter.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The answer is given in the manual Page 10
Quote:
Agility Mode (switch position 1)
Agility Mode shares the same characteristics as 3D Mode with a slightly lower head speed. This results in a softer, less responsive feel.
Tigron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone know how to set it on Turnigy 9XR stock radio ??
Because to me it does not work
Korzzo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoxiz View Post
Hi.

I'm using a dx6i with my nano cps. i only have 2 switch position on this radio. As per manual, there's no way to have the 3 flight mode on the dx6i. Only the stabilized one (blue led) and 3 mode (red led).

Someone here got the solution to have the 3 flight mode on the dx6i. But you loose the panic button. All the 3 flight mode are working good.

Don't forget, the only difference you need to go from agility to 3D is the Dual Rates and pitch curve. Tame them down and you wont be able to do much of 3D.

With time I found out that I only really use 2 modes, which were BLUE LED for indoors and RED LED for outdoors. I now use a D/R switch of 50%/100% and 3D curves all the time. I keep the flap/gyro switch where it is, so that the FMODE switch always goes from red to blue when I can't recover properly from piro or stunt.

So basically, for a new CP pilot, just use RED mode and put D/R and curves to something you can handle, and go up little bits at a time, eventually you will be able to handle 100% D/R and 0-50-100 pitch with 100% throttle.

Theres no point going from tamed down Agility straight to full rates 3D if you have a programmable transmitter.
dreamtwister302 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks DLGNUT, I’ve used your tips on a CPS and now a Nano S2. It works for both.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Taranis with an IrangeTx module. I stepped from -100 to +100 on ch5 to find how the led indicated the modes. I think stability and IU1 works fine, but in IU2 only the tail rotor spins. The battery is fully charged. What can be the problem?
Mikaelbe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaelbe View Post
I have a Taranis with an IrangeTx module. I stepped from -100 to +100 on ch5 to find how the led indicated the modes. I think stability and IU1 works fine, but in IU2 only the tail rotor spins. The battery is fully charged. What can be the problem?
Ahum, I made a mistake, I had a throttle curve set to 0 on the switch explaining the problem. However, even if i have 100 % throttle on both IU1 and IU2 it will not be higher headspeed on IU2 than on IU1. Have not measured though, only by trying to hear the difference.

Edit: Seems no difference in headspeed for IU1 and IU2 area of CH5, only what is programmed in the transmitter, according to above reasoning.

Last edited by Mikaelbe; 08-18-2020 at 03:27 AM..
Mikaelbe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in