Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 12:41 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't know if I posted this web site before but there is a wealth of good tips here for repair of your B400.

The tip for installing the nut on the bottom main shaft bolt was tops. Also a great exploded view and parts order list for replacing the feathering shaft's multitude of bits.

http://www.repairblade400.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ted,

Make sure the thrust washer (3 piece assembly) goes together correctly. The 2 outside convex washers that sandwich the bearings look the same but are not. The washer with the larger inside diameter installs closest to the head block. Also the open face of the bearings need to face the head block. Centrifugal force will keep the grease in place when installed this way.
Redfire SVT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

That's a great site TWM I used that for my main shaft replacement.

Thanks for the tips Redfire, the differences in the two parts of the thrust bearing seem to be tiny. I tried to get them the right way round and think I have but the size difference is difficult to spot so I'm not sure if it my eyes playing tricks on me!

It's a pain the feathering shaft I must say, so many parts!

Feathering shaft parts:

Thrust bearing parts in pack:

Some feathering shaft parts are included in the complete hardware set:

Anyway, the build has been taking longer than planned due to work and other social commitments (been losing out rather too much at the poker table in my last few sessions!!) so I haven't really got any further than before beyond checking the feathering shaftand associated parts were put together right.

As mentioned before she does now have her new Hitecs:

The swash as you can see hasn't been levelled yet but I have got all the servos moving in the right direction. I will post swash mix and reverse settings when I get a moment.

Playing with the servos briefly to check they all travelled correctly I am still noticing the ESC getting pretty warm even though the motor is disconnected so I am starting to worry the ESC is dodgy.

Any thoughts?

As ever, take care folks.
- Click here to view my RC Flight Log -
ted_wears_a_hat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ted, here is an easy way to check the inside diameter of the convex wahsers. Use a new feathering shaft and slide the washers onto it. Now wiggle the washers to see which ones have the most play. The ones with more play have a larger I.D.

Redfire SVT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great minds think a like!
The tip is great, I did a similar thing in the end, inserting drill bits until the bit just fitted in one but not the other!

I haven't been doing much building but have managed to sneak in some sim hours during lunch and am doing OK with tail in and side on and have now moved onto practise autos. These seem really really hard in the Blade 400 model of Clearview but it seems to be possible to get it down from height with minimal (if not zero) damage. The 3DMP and TREX600 by comparison can almost be flown fairly well with no motor power!!

Take care folks.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finally got a chance to level the swash and centre all the servo's. It's starting to come together. I found the best way to do this was zip tie an allen key to the main shaft and then gently turn the tail blades to check it passes neatly over all three connections.

Had a great Clearview session yesterday as well, really felt like a was FLYING the thing!

happy
Old 06-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

The allen wrench/zip tie idea is brilliant and super cheap! I got me one of these from Heli Direct: http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=2903

Also, the ESC on these is known to be problematic. If you can ditch it for just about any other ESC.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

And don't forget to put the screws into the servo arms.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
And don't forget to put the screws into the servo arms.

Are we speaking from experience?
LockMD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

^ *chuckles* Eek! That would hurt!

Ola Twm; all screwed in now the servo arms at centred.

I think a swash levelling tool would be anice addition to the ever growing tool collection but for now the allen key works a treat. Using a larger sized one gives an edge you can really pull tight on the shaft.

I have read a lot of reports of overly hot ESCs and have picked up a Sport BEC to try and get around this but I may in the longer term upgrade the ESC. Do you think the SBEC will do the job for learning? We'll see how it goes.

I'm really looking forward to getting this thing out and flying it though! I reckon the first few packs will be more nerves than anything though, definately taking it slow. If I enjoy it even half as much as the build process I'm on a winner. I'm definately thinking in a few months or so about putting a little aside for a larger kit heli just for the build.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockMD View Post
Are we speaking from experience?
Um, maybe....

:o
Old 06-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a tool junkie so when I placed my last order with HD I just -had- to have that leveler tool. It's verrah nize.

It's about to thunderstorm here so the rest of the afternoon is going to be heli hacking time. I have just picked up a few parts to get the other project (Honey Bee King II) moving.

Last edited by Twmaster; 06-14-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Twmaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

^ I love a good thunderstorm. The Mrs get's frisky! haha

No idea why but not going to complain.

Good luck with the HBKII, sounds like you'll be servicing a fleet before long!

I managed to gt the head on at last, I need to check the washout arms and the travel of the swash in terms of ultimate limits before getting into making sure everything is spot on but it feels good to have it looking like a heli again at last.

Thought I reward myself with some Clearview time. Managed some steady tail in hovering, some steady tail left hovering and some not so steady tail right hovering. i'm not sure why I can sort of manage to do side in one side but not the other but I'm sure it will come. I tried a little forward and backwards flight as well but mostly to test my skills of getting it back and under control when it gets a distance out. Finally I tried a couple of autos and finally seem to be getting somewhere. I can get it down from 10 or so foot and even managed a higher (30 odd foot) one where the bird came down with no real damage (looked a little rough mind!). I found that you don't need to drop the pitch much below mid stick (with a linear pitch curve) in order to keep head speed up and reapplying full positive pitch slows her down sweetly.

If you have Clearview attached is a zip file with a text file that can be dumped into the Clearview directory (C:\Program Files\SVKSystems\ClearView\records on a typical setup) and viewed in the flight recorder.

Have a good Saturday evening all.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20080614_B400_Auto_Attempt.zip (710.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

IT LIVES!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bout time Ted
Jaysanity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

jeje! I know, I know, I'm dragging now.... but hey, slow and steady and all that!

Seriously though, I have found the building to be time consuming simply because I don't very often have a good few hours to work on the heli so little bits get done here. Like most jobs if you can get through it in a few longer sessions there is generally some time gains made through the synergy of various tasks but when you have to do a little bit here and there this synergy and indeed often the general impetus of the task is lost. My job is fairly demanding on my time and my home life can be very busy at times as my partner suffers from multiple sclerosis which can be very unpredictable.

I did pass a major milestone today though in firing Vera up in anger for the very first and you know what....

...she ran sweet as chocolate. Even the blades seem to track nice. I still have some final checks to do before I can sign off CCPM as finished but for now initial tests seem to indicate I am on the right track at least! Pitch needs adjusting and there are some minor CCPM interactions that may need ironing out but the sound of her running at full chat on idle up was very gratifying!!

Beyond that I still need to install the SportBEC, re-affix the ESC to the airframe and tidy up the wiring.

My face though when I spun her up at work this lunch was just priceless. Kinda....

Take care all.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yeah the first time is great(scary) just to hear and see the power it has. just got to love it.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You lost me, my head popped somewhere around " time gains made through the synergy of various tasks.......... "LOL I build sh#t for a living so you have to use simple phrases for me to understand. Seriously though, just glad to see that bad boy in flyin order finally
Jaysanity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ted all I can say is: Schweeet!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi jaysanity, i chuckled when I read that, i'm trying to build sh*t but man this building sh*t is way more complex than any database, server, MIS or network!

I was sat in a strategy meeting when I was posting (yes, us men can multi task with the best of them!) so my head was full of spiel! My apologies As someone that build stuff though you'll know what I'm talking about. It's like when I was replacing the head parts and the cyclic servo's it would have been quicker to do it all in one session as I could adjust everything on the fly. As it was I have to build some of it in a session, then some more in another, then some more in another. As these are all done in isolation from each other when it all has to be put together at the end everything may not go together quite right as a certain part needed doing in a certain way to fit another part that was done in a seperate session. I'm crap at writing but I hope you know what I'm saying!

Ola Twm, schweet indeed, I'm a happy bunny; now if this freaking wind would just drop a little I might actually get to crash *ahem* fly it.

Thanks for all the positive vibes and help throughout the build so far.

I took the ESC and BEC to work today to try and get some work done on that but can't for the life of me work out how to get the EC3 connector off without breaking anything.

Anyone have any tips?

Take care helifolks.

Tags
blade 400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in