Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I got the BEC soldered to the ESC this evening, for now I have trimmed out a section of the cable just before the EC3 and soldered to that before giving it a good covering of electrical tape. I made sure to tin both parts first and it went together more easily than I thought. I don't think I'll ever be let loose on a circuit board mind you!

I installed it below the battery in the recess using a couple of strategically placed cable ties, it's not neat but it works for now. I'm going to trim out some ventilation in the canopy; some along the side and some in the canopy "glass". Hopefully with some careful positioning this should create some nice air flow from the rotor blades.

I like this SportBEC, a neat little device, and very well made. It even has a funky blue led indicating it is working. I'm a sucker for little touches like that!

Go go gadget SportBEC:

The head is now fairly well set up I think, I need to play with pitch a little but I have 0 pitch at mid stick and +5 to -5 maximum to minimum in a linear curved 0-100 idle up. I'm not entirely sure what a good beginner set up would be so I will read around a little and see what people are using. Unless anyone has any suggestions they want to post here.

I wonder a little if there is a bit too much flex up and down if to move the tips so I might shim it a little more. Oh dear, means getting that stoopid flybar out again. Boo.

I started it up to test the SportBEC and found that unweighted there is some rock back and forth when the rotors are spinning at the lowest speed. The rocking completely disappears with a little rotor speed so it could be a result of this flex. I'll have a play and see where it gets us!

Head setup:

- Click here to view my RC Flight Log -
ted_wears_a_hat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #62 (permalink)

yup and as long as your servos can handle it you can flip the switch for 6V too then you get a red light, mixed in with blue (I think) or it might just be red ?????
LockMD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's awesome Ted, I hope you didn't think I was being an ass, it just confused the hell outta me and was extremely funny cause my vision blurred and there was a high pitched ringing noise( I wasn't alive in the 60's but I imagine it was similar to an acid trip )...anyway
it still has me LMAOand will for along time to come. I'm rootin for ya to get that thing in the air man and I think a vid of the maiden flight will compliment all the testimonial that you've shared with us quite nicely.

P.S. When I get smarter and figure out how to upload video onto this site I'll show you what the synergy of a B400 impacting the side of my full size Bronco looks like
Jaysanity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll have to try that if I upgrade the tail lock!, though cool blue is a good enough reason to run at 5!

Hey Jay! No way man, thought it was funny! Almost spat out my beer at "synergy of a B400 impacting the side of my full size Bronco looks like"! I would like to see the vid and hope both B400 and Bronco have recovered!

Well Jay i hope you're still rooting for lil' Vera because she got her maiden voyage today. She then got her second voyage and first hard landing! First flight went good,got a couple of stable hovers going but had to fly the tail constantly and I think the swash may be off by a tiny (less than a mm) bit front to back as she has a tendency to head forwards despite cg being pretty bang on. The tail obviously needs dialling in though. Second flight I should never have even done as the wind had kicked up and it was pretty gusty but buoyed with confidence I thought bah give it a go. A minute or so into a reasonable hover Vera was hit by gust that spun her round towards me and dipped the nose towards the ground and left a little, somehow I managed to recover enough so that she hit the ground skids first butt the front left corner of the skid took the majority of the imact and bent a little low allowing the blades to not hit but scrape the ground.

She is mechanically unscathed though I will check over the feathering shaft etc. However annoyingly the Trex 500 skid tubes bent and when I tried to bend them back at the field they sheared.

The force of the imapct must have been pretty strong though as the tiny molding for the skid set on the corner that hit is half sheared from the airframe. GRRRR!

Will this require a new airframe or can this be botched?

I can see ways around it as the bottom of the airframe has some areas that could be drilled for a new mounting bracket but it is a FPITA.

Man the rush of getting her up and flying even if only for a couple of hovers was intense, completely comparable to the rush of topping out a nice climb or catching a sweet wave.

I can see this being frustrating and expensive but I AM HOOKED!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Congrats on the maidenand gettin the first crash outta the way is a milestone as well now you can git er fixed and continue on
Jaysanity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Jay! The problem is going to be waiting for parts! There's nowhere round here that does rc heli parts so I have to wait for the postie to do his/her thang. Not to mention work to do theirs and pay me!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ted...

Trixie (My rebuilt B400) has a broken tab too. I simply made a little angle brace out of brass and screwed it to the frame then the skid. Took all of 10 minutes to make and fit.

HTH
Old 06-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Ted...

Trixie (My rebuilt B400) has a broken tab too. I simply made a little angle brace out of brass and screwed it to the frame then the skid. Took all of 10 minutes to make and fit.

HTH
That's a neat trick
Weru
weru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yo Mike, a botch is definately in order for this, I think I'll go down your route and bolt on a new tab of sorts.

When I eventually rebuild fully I think a goo dplan would be to use the stock tabs to mount a thin strip of alu sheet across the bottom of bird that ends a little further out than the stock mounts. The trex500 skids can then be mounted using the original fitments and on a hard impact the new plate will [hopefully] bend rather than the plactic tabs.

The wind is blustery again today so it is probably a good thing I can't fly!

Take care all.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Everything is fixed up now and I am receiving the last few bits I need from the original list tomorrow so I can finally play with the tail setup. Just gone for a DSP75 for the tail as it is programmable for end points which means hopefully I can set it up with no binding without having to resort to a gyro upgrade.

*excited*

Go Vera!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All done and ready to go! Waiting for the batteries to charge so I can go play pilot!

Go Vera.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #72 (permalink)

may the winds be with you, good luck, and happy landings!
LockMD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am going to need it Lockster! Thanks brah, very much obliged.

Go Steelers!

[EDIT - I have some red and green hi viz decals coming to complete the look]
Old 07-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

She came home in one piece, I only did one pack and had to play silly games with the wind.

Conclusions:

- The tail needs some further work in rate for perfect hold.
- I need the heli equivalent of a post coital smoke.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Tail is now set up and holds nicely in a gentle hover. And wow she really is nice and smooth now, for the first time today I felt in full control for a whole pack and only had to put her down once rather than small hops which seems to be the way for the first couple of flights. She now has three packs on her under my stewardship and I couldn't be happier!

That first real hover has me hooked now through and through. I'm really thankful for a budget heli like this, without it and it's pnp setup I doubt I would have got into this at all, so thanks to horizon and thanks to the person before me who gave up too quick! Equally thanks to everyone on this forum for helping and providing such a great resource.

I'll detail the tail setup tomorrow!

Thanks all and take care.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #76 (permalink)

Hi:

I feel your joy. Looks like you did a great job on the repair. I have repaired my heli several times and each time I do so with more confidence and speed. For the money you just cannot have more fun than a blade 400.

Regards,
longwave2000 aka Greg.
longwave2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ted,

What are the items circled in your picture below?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user55454_pic6238_1215028014.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	53852  
xpower180 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ola Greg, yes it has been a steep learning curve but I think I'm happy... for now!

I have now flown 7 packs and knicked a couple of sets of blades but everything else remains sound. Even the feathering shaft remains unbent! I have put cable ties round each of the mounting tabs for the landing gear and everything seems to be standing up nicely.

I have ditched the training gear as I reckon it causes as much trouble as it saves and the 500 landing gear has a large footprint with the rear legs mounted backwards. You have to mount the battery a little close to the motor (closer than I like) to get CofG right so think I may move the tail servo to the boom and see if that adjusts it enough.

The ESC is staying nice and cool with the Sport BEC installed but the motor and battery seem to retain a reasonable amount of heat. Neither are hot to the touch but definitely more than warm. I added some holes to the canopy in the vake vent area and also down the screen so a draft is caught from the rotor wash as I am only hovering so there will be no ram effect from around the heli. I may eventually add an air ram on the screen, probably using the top collar of a broken canopy for the scoop but the holes made a noticeably effect on their own.

Cyclic control is nice, very quick and I have dialled in 5% expo and may consider upping that a little more. I don't want it to get too mushy. I have mostly been hovering trying to stay within a ten foot circle but have also tried following a line up and managed it sort of! Mostly I am taking it slow but I did bring it up to 10 or so foot for 30 secs or so just to see what it felt like...........SCARY!

To set the tail up I first got it so the tail head true in a brief hover. This was really nerve racking for me as a totally new rc heli pilot so I warmed up on the sim and waited it out for a TOTALLY calm day. You have to be quick on the rudder before you get it dialled in if you don't want to get quickly out of orientation. Take it slow and put it down if you feel it is getting out of control. Adjusting the linkage so it was right took some time and I had to keep stopping and making sure which was the rudder input would push the heli but again, take it slow and you can get it so there is very little perceptible drift in a steady[ish] hover.

Once I did this I switched to HH mode and bizarrely found there was a little drift, I then powered down and powered up again in HH and there was again a little CCW drift. I then moved the pot on the actual gyro to both max and min positions and found [bizarrely] that it seemed to work better at 0% (full CCW)! I still need to click in a couple of click of right trim which I know will probably ultimately lower the lifespan of the servo but for now it will seem to do the job OK. Does anyone have any further tricks?

I flew in the wind for my third pack of the day and with the gusts it was pretty difficult but got through and landed safely. It's really kicked up though and and it looks like tomorrow will be the same! This hobby is turning me into more of a weather watcher than the garden ever has!

xpower, those are self adhesive cable clips available from most electronics stores. I have just had a search around the heli stores and Fast Lad has them is the misc item section.

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/micr...ve-p-1602.html

Take care all.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Ted.
xpower180 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good posts Ted! I feel we're both in the same boat here. I'm sucking in as much knowledge as I can and loving every minute of it (I'm completely new to RC stuff in general).
Hovered through four batteries today and got her up to 4-5m (~15 feet) for a couple of seconds. Loved it!
I also decided to bump my throttle curve on the second battery to 0-40-65-80-90 (was 0-35-50-75-90) and boy what a difference. It feels so much smoother now (especially the collective). What's yours?
mongo56 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
blade 400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in