Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Disconnecting the motor

I've heard people mention "disconnect the motors before (whatever comes next.)"

I want to disconnect my motors to do a trim flight indoors. Can someone tell me how to easily (ha!) disconnect the motors AND reconnect them?

Can you include pictures with pointers that clearly illustrate it? Because otherwise I'll probably just say "I have no idea of what you just said means."
ChopperFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stand by. Let me see if I can help.

-MM
Old 12-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok. My hands are full (1 month old) so this old photo will have to do.

This was after my first crash. In both photos the nose is facing down. This first photo shows the main motor bullet plugs. The second shows the tail rotor bullet plugs. Gently pull them apart (when I did my calibration I just disconnected the red ones.) try your trim flight and then reconnect them and disconnect the battery.

Hope this helps.

-MM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	626952  
Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pic 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	626953  
Old 12-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks! I'm sure they'll be helpful, but my 21st-century iPhone won't let me get a good look at them (they appear partially off-screen and when I touch them they close.)

I don't currently have internet at my home (new job, just moved, other priorities) but I'll find some place soon enough...
Old 12-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFreak View Post
I want to disconnect my motors to do a trim flight indoors. Can someone tell me how to easily (ha!) disconnect the motors AND reconnect them?
I may have read this wrong but you can't do a trim fight with the motor disconnected.

I usually just remove the main and tail blades, easier for me, instead of unplugging motors.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
I may have read this wrong but you can't do a trim fight with the motor disconnected.

I usually just remove the main and tail blades, easier for me, instead of unplugging motors.
I was WRONG. After reading more you can do a trim flight by disconnecting the motor

Under the battery tray you will see 3 wires, (red, blue, black) disconnect any two. The same thing on the back where the boom goes into the frame. Your motors are now disconnected and will not spin up.

Sorry for the misinformation in my first post.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
After reading more you can do a trim flight by disconnecting the motor
It's cool. I'm glad you spoke up.

What were you reading? The Advanced Settings addendum? I don't have it in front of me...
Old 12-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

Quote:
I was WRONG. After reading more you can do a trim flight by disconnecting the motor

Under the battery tray you will see 3 wires, (red, blue, black) disconnect any two. The same thing on the back where the boom goes into the frame. Your motors are now disconnected and will not spin up.

Can you post the link about doing a trim flight with motors disconnected please. New one on me.
crsorrell0653 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Just curious. Where are you reading that it's possible to do a Trim Flight with the motors disconnected Doesn't the very name of the adjustment procedure imply that the heli is indeed 'in flight' as outlined in the advanced settings addendum?

This was a cut and paste off a PDF file so is a bit mutilated but gets the idea across.

Perform this procedure if the model is not performing well or has been recently rebuilt from a crash.
The trim fl ight procedure was performed during the factory test fl ight and only needs to be
performed if you notice the model is not returning to level consistently or if the model does
not remain still during stationary pirouettes. The trim fl ight is used to determine the optimal
settings for SAFE

technology during fl ight.
The trim fl
ight must be performed in calm conditions.
Entering Trim Flight Mode
1. Lower the throttle stick to the lowest position.
2. Center all trims. For the included Spektrum DXe transmitter (RTF only), the trims are
centered when you hear a higher pitched beep while pressing the trim button. Move the
trim in both directions until you hear the high-pitched beep.
3. Power ON the transmitter.
4. Install the fl ight battery in the helicopter.
5. Connect the battery connector to the ESC.
6. Place the helicopter on a fl at surface and leave it still until the motor beeps twice and
the blue ESC LED glows solid, indicating initialization is complete.
7. Place the helicopter where you are going to take off.
8. Move and hold the left stick to the bottom left
corner and the right stick to the top left corner as
shown.
9. Press and hold the bind/panic switch until the
swashplate rotates around once.
10. Release the sticks and bind/panic switch.
11. The model is ready for the trim fl ight.
Performing the Trim Flight
1. Slowly increase the throttle to lift the model into a stationary hover. Make corrections
as necessary to keep the model still. Evaluation does not begin until the throttle stick is
over 50% and the sticks are centered. Making corrections will not affect the result but a
longer fl ight may be necessary.
2. Keep the model stationary in a hover for a total of 30 seconds. Sliding and slow move-
ments are okay. The main goal is to keep the rotor disk level.
3. Once you are satisfi ed with the trim fl ight, land the model

I know that with the 200SRX it's possible in some cases to do a 'flight-less trim flight' but the heli still has to be powered up and the blades turning!

If I'm not mistaken the OP is a bit new to helis. Keeping that in mind
sometimes no advice is a better option than inaccurate advice. IMO
Newdon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am going to repost this as it seems it might be over looked by some. There are reports in the main thread about people tying down the heli with no blades but I am not sure if that will work. Look for the stick on the 230S page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Van View Post
Everybody that has received their new 230 S has had a chance to "air it out" and some have found a few issues. Mine was pretty close out of the box but started to develop a drift to the right in Normal Mode which required cycle to negate. When switching to Stunt 1, it wasn't a minor drift, it was flying away! In Stunt 2, if was flying away even FASTER!

I read everything several times and decided that I would do my patented (not really) No Flight Trim Flight which consist of tying the heli to the floor and going through through the factory instruction process. While this method works incredibly well on a 200SR X, the 230 S with it's larger blades has too much power and distorts the frame/skids causing you to add cyclic in order to keep it level. So, that's not the solution!

Decided to do a real trim flight early this morning when there was no wind and had mixed results the first time. The drift now was to the left instead of the right and in idle up, it was scary to keep it in the air!

Second time was non-eventful but worked so well I thought I'd mention a few details for those pilots that have not been successful with the process.

Below are the exact steps I used which should help anybody trying to fix the drift issue:

1. Start with everything turned OFF and the flight battery not connected.

2. Find a real LEVEL pad to place the heli on for initialization. DID I SAY LEVEL?

3. Turn on your radio, SET ALL TRIMS to CENTER POSITION.
DO THIS PROCEDURE in NORMAL MODE, LOW RATES. (I'm using a DX6G2)

4. Plug in the flight battery on the heli and let it sit there until completely initialized.

5. Place the Canopy on the heli.

At this point the radio is on, the heli is initialized and you should have your throttle hold ON.

6. Check servo movement on the heli by moving all sticks in all directions.

7. Only by coincidence, my step 7 is the same as the TRIM FLIGHT step number 7 so move your sticks left bottom left, right top left then press the Bind/Panic switch until the swash does a dance indicating it is in trim flight mode.

NOW follow the factory instructions with a slow spool-up and a lift off. Read SLOWLY, the computer is trying to think so don't give it to many instructions while getting up in the air.

8. As you climb slowly, (you art trying to do this with NO WIND), work your way slightly above MID Throttle STICK (50%). Since you are in Normal Mode, the heli will continue to climb as this move will be applying positive pitch. STAR YOUR TIMER and as it sill climbs, it will gain in altitude until it is way up there! If you need to bring it down, slowly descend. When you can see it again, work the throttle back up above 50%
Avoid any major cyclic input (right stick) but if your heli is drifting, apply enough to keep it in the same relative place.

UPDATE: I have now done another trim flight on another 230 S and found that I am flying considerably above mid-stick which accounts for the "way up there" statement. I do this to make sure that it is truly above mid-stick but you may find that you can do it without flying as high. On the other hand, maybe my success is due to holding it in a hover "way up there" since the trim flight data is being saved in 1 flight. Many pilots have reported multiple flight being necessary before it saves the data. Use common sense and do not fly beyond your capabilities.
BTW, the second 230S is flying as rock solid as my first one so the process does work! Good Flying!

9. DO THIS FOR at least 1 Minute, the longer the better! I went 2 + minutes!

10. Slowly bring the heli back down and land as softly as you can. Spool down completely as in don't touch the heli and MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO NOT TURN ON THROTTLE HOLD.
if you do, you will not save the new data and you'll need to start over.

11. Now that the heli is on the ground, you haven't touched it, nothing is rotating, it is perfectly still, PRESS and HOLD the Bind/Panic switch until the swash does another quick dance and the new data will be saved.

12. Unplug the flight battery, turn off the radio. Wait 10 seconds (really) and then turn the radio on, connect the flight battery, not too tight,
NOTE: you may want to install a fresh battery at this point depending how long your trim flight was (ON A LEVEL SURFACE) wait for initialization, reinstall canopy, set it down on the level surface again and start your flight.

13. Check your results..... the following characteristics should be in place:

In normal mode, should not drift in any direction and only SLIGHT input should be made to correct for position and altitude.

take her up 3 mistakes high and flip into idle up (stunt 1).

For those new to CP..... your throttle stick should be at 50%, the motor will increase in speed but the heli should not climb because your pitch is neutral at 50% stick position. (this is only partially true. Technically in normal mode there is a little positive pitch at 50% throttle). This will drop out when you switch to idle up as long as 50% is actually 0% pitch or neutral.

In Stunt 1 if you are at 50% on the stick, the heli will not climb, there will be an increase in motor rpm but the heli will stay at the same altitude. There should be no drift in any direction.

In Stunt 2, another slight increase in motor RPM will be noticed (at least on mine) but the stick is still at 50% so the heli should not change altitude. She should just sit there without drift, waiting for your next command.

If your trim flight procedure was successful, the 230 S will be ROCK SOLID and in my case, she now hovers hands off with no drift and no correction input. There was Zero wind so you might need a little correction if there is any wind.

IF this didn't work, Do it again until it does take a save. Or, it was not calm enough when the heli was gathering flight data. Remember, most of the time, the higher a heli climbs, the more chance for wind currents and being above 50% throttle with some positive pitch will require that you are "up there" with the potential wind.

Here's what I don't know yet.

1. Can this be done in any other modes..... probably not since you are calibrating the leveling capability of the electronics.

2. Will this solve a drift problem on a heli that has been crashed and you have not repaired it correctly...... probably not. If it is not 100% mechanically correct, you are wasting your time.

3. Do you really need to wait 10 seconds after the procedure before starting a real flight............ probably not, but I did.

4. Did I forget anything............ probably so but I tried to be as complete as possible so feel free to add your comments.

In closing, My 230 S flew OK out of the box but not anywhere near how she flys now. Since performing the above trim flight, the heli does exactly what I command with considerably more precision and response. This could become one of my favorite flyers if she hasn't already taken that position.

For those that still are having issue, take a deep breath and approach the problems 1 at a time. The 230 S is a fine heli and when you get it tuned up you will have many, many exceptional flights. This is part of the hobby so make your mental adjustments and have fun!

Thank you Horizon Hobby for and exception heli, in a very affordable price/performance category.

-MM
Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsorrell0653 View Post
Can you post the link about doing a trim flight with motors disconnected please. New one on me.
I received a PM saying I was wrong about not disconnecting motor that it could be done so I posted that I was wrong. To me a trim "flight" means you have to fly it.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think people are confusing the calibration procedure with trim flights.

This site has some great 230S info.
http://www.jjinvertedproduction.com/...o-video-s.html
Skywatcher_ne is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bottom line and to avoid confusing the OP further, follow the instructions in the Blade advanced settings addendum. Bill_Van, the originator of the 200SRX 'No Flight Trim Flight' discovered that procedure does not work well on the 230S (check out his sticky, above or at the top of this forum).
Newdon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll use Bill's method with one modification:

Disconnected motors or blades on a plumb* surface.

*plumb = "level on two horizontal axis**."
**axis = plural form of "axis."

This allows me to completely neutralize the (explicit deleted) wind variable. In fact, I bet the "disconnected motor or blades" modification will work for ANY heli able to perform a trim flight, and I see no SANE reason why anyone would waste time attempting it any other way.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdon View Post
follow the instructions in the Blade advanced settings addendum.
The instructions in the Advanced Settings addendum are typical Horizon Hobby fare, leaving out crucial points like "set you D/R to 100% or the heli will not recognize your attempt to activate the advanced setting."

In fact, following the instructions is exactly why I'm here.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Following and very new to the 230.
I have no previous knowledge nor do I consider myself an expert but having your model sitting on a level desk assumes that your swash is perfectly level to start with. When flying and making adjustments are you not telling the flight controller that the swash is not perfectly level and thus fc corrects for this in calibrations? I will be doing the calibration in the near future so I truly would like to know what works. It would seem if taking off the blades works it would be much simpler.
Cheers.
BMac1.9l is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or you could be telling the fc what level is and it will adjust to the true level.
Anyway I would really like to know the best way to do calibrations as days with no wind are few and far between especially this time of year.
Cheers
BMac1.9l is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 10:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Seems like this post has got out of hand. If anyone is curious, just call Horizon Hobby Helicopter tech support and ask them about the no-motors-connected "trim-flight"(I put it in parentheses because it's not an actual flight, it just sits there) Obviously if you don't have the motors connected, the heli won't go anywhere! The "trim flight" procedure as spelled out by Horizon still works with the motors disconnected. The RX on the heli doesn't know that's it's NOT in the air. Basically you are just going thru the motions of a trim flight as it sits on the bench (or kitchen table). This procedure is GOLDEN for locking in the 200SRX. Same idea applys to the 230S.
frisbee99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 12:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbee99 View Post
This procedure is GOLDEN for locking in the 200SRX. Same idea applys to the 230S.
Agreed. I think it's STUPID that anyone would think that what amounts to an aerial stunt (ie: holding an outdoor heli level in flight) could produce any kind of calibration. ESPECIALLY when the TARGET MARKET is largely composed of beginners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in