Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Sk720 Governor Question

I need help understanding why my head speed is too high (2285)!

First the details:
Trex 700, 112T main, 12T pinion, Hobbywing sensor, Scorpion 4035-560 kV motor & Commander V opto 50V ESC. Calculation yields gear ratio input value (in software) around 45 (don't have it in front of me).

I turned the ESC governor off and set my 3 RPM's to 1700, 1800 and 1900, with corresponding curves in my JR x9503 radio (ramp to 40%, straight line at 60% and straight line at 100%. As I have read the Gov wizard is pretty straight forward, and except for setting my throttle idle position I did everything it said. My throttle endpoints are 100%H and 100%L and watching the monitor the throttle channel moves up to 40% in N and 60% in ST1 and 100% in ST2. I use the throttle hold switch for safety.

When I spool up in normal mode the speed climbs to an ungodly 2285 using a my tach (the tach is correct), even before I tached it I could tell it was too fast as it was screaming like a banshee.

It lifted off and hovered normal, but that speed is too fast so I landed and shut down. I rechecked it in the software and it still read the same rpm settings. I am at a loss, any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance
wearman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Double check the gear ratio in the SK setup. That gave me fits until I got it right. I thought I had a sensor where I just put in the gear ratio, but then it turns out I had to multiply by the 10 poles and divide by 2. I still had to do my elementary school math correctly, which took two tries! I believe the solder in Hobbywing sensor just uses your gear ratio because it's placed between two poles--no need for motor poles & all. Dan
Old 01-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
Double check the gear ratio in the SK setup. That gave me fits until I got it right. I thought I had a sensor where I just put in the gear ratio, but then it turns out I had to multiply by the 10 poles and divide by 2. I still had to do my elementary school math correctly, which took two tries! I believe the solder in Hobbywing sensor just uses your gear ratio because it's placed between two poles--no need for motor poles & all. Dan
Thank you for the input, but I do not think the number is the issue. If I divide the main gear (112) by the pinion (12) x 10 poles / 2 I get 46.67, which is what I have entered. Everything I have read on HF states the hobbywing sensor requires use of this formula. Am I missing something?
??
Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

=] please post a log for this issue....

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgi UK View Post
=] please post a log for this issue....
Thank you Georgi, but have only recently looked at the logs. I purchased the Skookum logger pro for $35. The only files that are present are vibration files and when I open them they show a low vibration of 1.2 on the scale. I went into the SK software and changed the logging to playback mode. It is raining so it may take a day or two to spool it up again, though I would rather not unless it is absolutely necessary. It is rock solid at 2300, but way to fast for my ability.

I will do some research on this, but could you tell me what I might be looking for? I am sure I have the gear ratio correct. But what is more puzzling that my transmitter at 40% throttle should not give 2300 rpm, something is bypassing everything. Perhaps demonic possession? Thanks

Last edited by wearman; 01-05-2016 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: new info
Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

=] gear ratio is 46.67 for this heli. quickest route change the rpm1 to a lower setting and test, could be something on the input side is not being met? got a good connection to the motor wires, or the esc settings are wrong?

a log when you have one would be good......

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
governor, head speed, sk720

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in