Perplexing Delimma - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > DJI Multirotor Support > Phantom Multirotor Support

Phantom Multirotor Support Phantom Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Perplexing Delimma

{Re-post from the general support area}

So with the new pricing announced today, I'm debating buying another P3 even though I've only had my Pro for a week. Here's the thing. I like the 4k on the new 4k as a backup. Sweet price also, but nobody has explained the real difference between a WiFi based downlink (I assume it's still happening over some sort of Lightbridge "like" link so distance isn't going to be a problem, right? At 1200m, it ain't "WiFi," that's for sure!) and the true Lightbridge link other than 480p.

Then again, right now, the Advanced is the same price without the limited range and true/full Lightbridge support with a 2k camera. Again, not bad as a backup plus the WAY expanded range capabilities (read: insurance to me).

Is the camera/gimbal on the 4k interchangeable with the one on the Pro in the event of damage from a crash? Will the WiFi camera gimbal matter/work on the Lightbridge based Pro? I wouldn't think the WiFi affects the gimbal/camera at all but does it?

We're going to buy a backup/second system to play with. I don't plan to make a living with it. Which one and why? That is the question!

Thanks!
WilsonFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well. I guess I am the only one asking myself these questions after all. Either that or I picked the wrong quad.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably because you would just be buying expensive insurance in effect.
I suppose it depends on the risks you take when you fly, how likely you are to crash, how likely it might fail etc.
They will be at this price for a long while so just fly and if you bust it buy another. Use the busted one for spares.
r44flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't need 7 helis, 28 planes and 5 other quads either, but I have them too.

That wasn't my question.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you don't really know what you want then?
Not sure how anyone can help.

The P3 is the best performing quad for the price.
Decide which features of the range you need and those you don't then the purchase will be become clearer.

Last edited by r44flyer; 01-10-2016 at 02:04 PM..
Old 01-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm just trying to figure out the clear differences between the 4k and the Advanced. I know it's Lightbridge v. WiFi for the video downlink but there's been no clarification as to what the difference is aside from WiFi is limited to 480p (from what I can find out). I know there's a 4k v. 2k camera, and we know the range is different. I can't find anything else.

I'm trying to figure out the differences so that I can make an informed decision about which one is the best bang for the buck for me. I hope that make sense.

Does anybody know anything about this so-called "WiFi Link" or has anybody seen it yet?

I really think the deal breaker with me is going to be range since everything else is effectively even. I could care less about 480p on my operating device. That's plenty for monitoring purposes. I'm just trying to make sure I haven't missed anything.

You and somebody mentioned (here and somewhere else) that these prices would be around for a while. My take was that this was a "limited time anniversary special." Do you have any reason for thinking that may not be the case? I haven't seen anything to the contrary or either way really for that matter.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMO you should only be considering the Advanced or Pro as the WiFi link is inferior to the Lightbridge link. The Wifi link is on the cheaper aircraft.

Secondly the Advanced & Pro use the GLONASS satellite reception which ensures a better GPS lock and more sats, typically 16+ as opposed to 7 or 8.

The camera will very likely be the same (for DJI to keep costs down) but unless you have a really powerful PC or MAC then editing 4K video will be a real problem.

Never seen DJI prices go back up once they have dropped them like this but I suppose it's in their interests to make it seem seasonal or limited to sell more product.

The P3 Advanced is the best value bang for buck IMO.

Have fun!
Old 01-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's kind of the way I was obviously leaning anyway. I agree.

Thank you!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Standard uses the wifi link and the v1-2 style controller, the advanced, 4K/Pro use the lightbridge and the inspire style controller.

Only difference between the advanced and the 4K/pro is the camera/gimbal unit itself and they ARE interchangeable. If you take the gimbal off of a 4K/pro and put it on an advanced, then do a firmware upgrade the pilot app now says it's a pro.

The hardware in the gimbal/camera is physically different and the 4K has a fan on the upper gimbal plate, the advanced does have a place for one tho.

I hope that clears the water for you a little
jdfelosi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.