Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC > Spartan Vortex

Spartan Vortex Spartan RC - Vortex VX1 Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not that i am using a Jeti, But i 2nd the Agilty type menu.....Well done Angelos....
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauropitotto View Post
I'm voting for the "Agility" version of setting it up. It will allow a cleaner interface, so the user doesn't have to deal with a cluttered menu. It could also allow faster scrolling through the menus.
Cleaner yes, but you have to open the menu to see values. That's why I like more those other two methods. With Style menus would be quite long, so I would vote for Rotor gain style.
njs77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It may also be possible to make the same line of the menu change between N,1,2,H but I have concerns on how this could be done safely. Some ideas...

1) Could use the rudder stick to change between N,1,2,H. The problem with that is that when you are fling around the displayed mode will change and that's not good if you want to quickly tweek a value.

2) Could use a dial from the TX. That consumes an extra channel and needs to be setup by the user.

3) Could use the Idle-Up/Hold switches. Basically as soon as you hit hold you can edit the hold value. Whilst hold is active the motor will remain off but you can still change flight modes in the menu using the Idle-up switch.

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My vote would be the Rotor gain style, with the Agility style as a second preference.

The reason is its still fairly compact, but importantly it keeps all the values on screen. So if you're checking your settings, or just scrolling through, you can see what everything is set to. And I bet you'll be reading the numbers as much as changing them when you're setting up a new helicopter.

With the Agility style, there are going to be a ton of values you can't see unless you go into the submenus, making it much harder to see at a glance what's going on.

Imagine if you were trying to work out why Idle up 2 wasn't flying as well as Idle up 1. With the agility style you've got to dig into all the settings to look for differences. With the Rotor gain style you can just scroll through, making it much easier to see if there are any obvious differences.
Other: Team rep for Lynx/Oxy, working on NightWave Systems
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another vote for the Rotor gain style for the same reasons as myxiplx stated so well.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rotor gain style, as myxiplx explained. Nice to see as much as you can at first glance, without being overly cluttered.

There is something to be said about the cleanliness of the Agility menu style view, but the at a glance nature of the Rotor gain style view trumps it.

Not that I deserve a vote after saying I don't need one, lol.
sutty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rotor gain would be my choice. All the information is at one's finger tips in a well organized and easy to read fashion.

Mike
MKMAERO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't dislike the Rotor Gain method. My favorite however is the 3rd one I mentioned in post #43. However I think this will sooner or later cause disaster when someone isn't paying much attention with the switches.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the Rotor Gain method best. No back and forth screen navigation and it also takes up less screen real estate.
markrj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agility!! I like going into a different 'window', lessens the chance of errors and the interface was extremely clean.

Steve
Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the Rotor Gain best.

3) from #43 sounds great, but I guess it might be a bit confusing for some users. I setup both Hold and Throttle cut, so I could switch between N/1/2/H without motor going on, but I know pilots who only have Hold. I would also have a problem with Nitro - would have to turn engine off to change settings for 1/2, or well configure one more switch for idling.

Also I'm not sure if this menu is fast enough and can changes values depending on Vortex's state that fast. If the value would change a second after changing flying mode, that might be enough to cause confusion.
benko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 05:00 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was working on the menu yesterday evening converting everything to the "Rotor Gain" layout and I hit a snag. It only affects specific cases but sadly this means this method can't be used to provide a uniform interface. I guess that leaves us with the Agility implementation.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
I was working on the menu yesterday evening converting everything to the "Rotor Gain" layout and I hit a snag. It only affects specific cases but sadly this means this method can't be used to provide a uniform interface. I guess that leaves us with the Agility implementation.
That is just bad luck then.
I'd go for the Agility version too, it gives the cleanest look.
I suppose the Jeti does not give feedback in the menu what flight mode you are in?

In that case your earlier proposition sounds good:
"3) Could use the Idle-Up/Hold switches. Basically as soon as you hit hold you can edit the hold value. Whilst hold is active the motor will remain off but you can still change flight modes in the menu using the Idle-up switch."

Does this mean that if I'm for instance doing gain adjustments with the menu active:
-During flight: the active setting changes when I switch between modes? This would be handy to quickly do all gain adjustments in one flight.
-On the ground (with hold active): I am still able to modify normal/idle1/idle2? How?

I can live with the motor shutting off in hold just fine.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
3) Could use the Idle-Up/Hold switches. Basically as soon as you hit hold you can edit the hold value. Whilst hold is active the motor will remain off but you can still change flight modes in the menu using the Idle-up switch.
As long as it's idiot proof...It should be absolutely impossible for me to accidentally spool up the heli while I'm messing about with FBL settings on the bench, or temporarily while on the ground, especially if touching my idle-up switch is necessary for adjusting numbers.

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I'm not in favour of messing with any controls while changing settings. Even if it can be done safely with the Jeti and Vortex, its not a good habbit to get into.
Other: Team rep for Lynx/Oxy, working on NightWave Systems
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 11:50 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
This is exactly how the gyro value adjustments/throttle and pitch curves work in the Jeti UI. You put your "flight mode" or TH switch in the position you desire then navigate to, and adjust the value(s).
markrj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Full setup now in. Flows the same way as the DataPod and Spartan Studio.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vortex_Setup_via_Jeti.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	632615  

Old 01-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angelos, will the jeti/vortex intergration work will just the DS-14 BK edition transmitter or all Jeti transmitters? i.e. DS-16. I'm thinking of buying the DS-16 carbon edition only if the future jeti/vortex firmware works with it otherwise I will get the DS-14 BK edition.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYcoR View Post
Angelos, will the jeti/vortex intergration work will just the DS-14 BK edition transmitter or all Jeti transmitters? i.e. DS-16. I'm thinking of buying the DS-16 carbon edition only if the future jeti/vortex firmware works with it otherwise I will get the DS-14BK.
Should work fine with DS-16 and DS-14, BK and non-BK editions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in