Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > EZNOV

EZNOV EZNOV Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Neuron Governor Setup / Recommendations

Can anyone (EZNov or End Users) provide a quick primer on governor use without using an ESC-provided speed? My current ESC doesn't provide rpm feedback so I need to purchase an external sensor.

I've read on the forum that many are using hobbywing's rpm sensor, and some have had success with the spektrum/eagletree variants. Is there a recommended sensor setup (back-emf vs. magnet mounted on gear or motor, etc?). What was tested when the Neuron was designed?

Since I have to buy the rpm sensor to enable the governor, might just as well get it right the first time

Also, I'm planning to use this on a Trex 250 DFC pro model. Currently flies rock solid but definitely look forward to a governor (I could enable the align ESC gov, but I hear they aren't ideal...)

It'd be great to have a short how-to with some recommendations for sensors, setup idiosyncrasies, etc.

Thanks!
brackenaerospace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The hobbywing sensor works with pretty much every setup. The Hyperion sensor that was popular before doesn't work with CC ESC's with v4 or later firmware but works with other ESC's.

I use a hobbywing with my Mezon ESC to the Neuron on my Logo 600 and another hobbywing with a CC 100 lite into the Neuron on my Goblin 500, both work great with the FBL governor.

Just follow the instructions, only complication is you need an adaptor for the FBL gov input port. I made one up using a spectrum Satellite cable cut and joined to a standard plug.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just looked at the wiring on the Neuron website, and there doesn't seem to be an RPM input listed. Which plug does it go on? thanks, Dan
Old 01-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are two, 3 pin plugs on the end that will take the Spektrum satellite plugs, the one on the left (when looking at them) is for the Satellite the one on the right is the RPM input.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good info, Thunder Fighter. I've ordered an adapter plug and will build a short cable adapter. The sensor has only one pin installed, so which pin of the plug gets the sensor wire? I'd assume either left or right, since middle seems to always be voltage, but I can't find this detail online. A good buddy is getting this bird as a trainer (I've detuned the Neuron to basic in normal, and sport in idle 1), and I want to get it cleaned up and running as best as I can.

Thanks in advance, Dan
Old 01-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should be center to right power/gnd/signal.
6.6leater is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.6leater View Post
Should be center to right power/gnd/signal.
Thanks, 6.6leater. Dan
Old 04-16-2016, 01:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I must be a dumbass , I am used to Castle ESCs and comfortable setting up the governor on those, but this maybe a stupid question, what throttle curves (Tx) are you generally using for the governor function on the Neuron?
I tried it on a flat throttle curve, as suggested but the motor constantly stops and starts?

Cheers
Bungraman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungraman View Post
I must be a dumbass , I am used to Castle ESCs and comfortable setting up the governor on those, but this maybe a stupid question, what throttle curves (Tx) are you generally using for the governor function on the Neuron?
I tried it on a flat throttle curve, as suggested but the motor constantly stops and starts?
You should run flat lines like you are, if the motor is stopping and starting then there is something else wrong. Give us your full equipment list to see if we can help.

//Dennis.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hello,

I run my Trex 250 DFC (not pro, it's an old model with DFC head and 250mx motor) with orange RX brushless 2-phase sensor (IIRC).

Works very good ... governing a small heli is easier than a big one.

Thomas.
Otatiaro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
Give us your full equipment list to see if we can help.
//Dennis.
Hi Dennis, good to see you float on this forum as well. I am running Futaba 14SG, throttle curve setup as folows; Normal: 0, then flat 70 (starting @15%), Idleup 1: flat 77 and Idleup 2: flat 85.
ESC is a Hobbywing platinum 50A V3 with the RPM cable connected to the FBL.

The motor kept restarting when it was in Governor mode in the FBL, I currently have it setup as direct control for setups 1, 2 & 3 and it runs good but have been told the governor is quite good on this FBL.

Do I just enable the governor mode on the FBL leaving the throttle curves as is on my TX, and let the FBL Auto-setup?

I am so used to Castle having the option of setting the headspeed for Normal, IdleUp1 & IdleUp2.

Hope you can advise.

Piers
Old 04-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your throttle curves are a good starting point but you will need to tune them up and down to get your desired headspeed. Make sure you have taken the ESC out of gov mode (and either into airplane mode or external Gove mode if it has one) and get the endpoints setup correctly. Then enable the gov in the Neuron and on the first spool up it will set its internal variable it uses to calibrate the headspeeds.

I'm not a big fan of the way you need to get it to set this variable and would prefer to have a manual way of doing it but I can't fault the performance when it's working.

//Dennis.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Dennis, I have switched the Governor on the ESC off, I will report back shortly.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungraman View Post
Thanks Dennis, I have switched the Governor on the ESC off, I will report back shortly.
Didn't go too well, I switched the governor off in the ESC, set my end points and spooled it up. It only got to about less than half throttle and stayed there, well and truly not enough headspeed to get off the ground. That was based on 70 flat throttle curve (on normal), flicked it over to IdleUp1 and it didn't change at all.

Do I need to reset the FBL governor?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you set up the endpoints properly?
Airagitator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airagitator View Post
Did you set up the endpoints properly?
I think I did. Do I set the end points with the ESC connected directly to the Rx or connected through the FBL.

I run Futaba, so if I connect the ESC directly to the Rx to set the endpoints the throttle has to be reversed (Futaba trait), but when I connect it all up to the Neuron I have to set the throttle as normal. Would that affect the end points?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's very simple: when you set end points, you need to do it with same connections as when you will use it.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The way I do it is make sure both governors are off and plug every thing into the FBL as you will be flying it. Set the ESC into the fast response mode. Set the throttle endpoints on the Tx to match the input screen as you do for other channels. Then use the sliders in the software to set the high and low points. Just follow the normal procedure for your ESC but instead of the endpoints on the Tx adjust the endpoints on the screen.

I don't have my Neuron with me to check but you might need to go into the advanced screens to access the endpoints for the throttle.

When finished then put the FBL governor on and I will normally do spoolups and check failsafe, softstart, change rate and bailout at this point without blades.

On the Neuron I then reset the governor calibration box in the advanced screen before doing a spoolup with blades to 50 or 60% throttle. I then switch off and check that the value in the Neuron is set and set my throttle curves to something like 60/75/90 flat lines and then tune the headspeeds to what I am after from there.

I use this same procedure with both the Brain/Ikon (slightly tweaked for the different way it sets headspeeds) and the Neuron with different ESC's with great success.

//Dennis.

Last edited by Thunder Fighter; 04-22-2016 at 05:15 AM..
Old 04-22-2016, 05:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just created magic smoke while trying to adjust endpoints, not good. Looks like Scorpion motor and 1st stage pulley wheel has gone.

Gonna be a while before it gets back in the air .....
Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ Thunder Fighter

Very good tutorial! Thats how it works.
Airagitator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in