Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Heads and Rotor Blades

Heads and Rotor Blades Heads and Rotor Blades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Advise please om 450 scale project

Hello all,
this is my first scale build and I needed some advise on some particulars. Im working with a 450 clone that will end up in a MD-500. Ive installed the 5 blade head with the symmetrical scale rotor blades. My FBL unit is a full size Vbar 4.xx and as of now the tail is stock.
Ive set up the phasing as recommended with one blade grip 90* to the boom and its swash link inline with the rear elev swash servo ball link. It seems as i rotate the head the remaining grips do not end up 90* to the boom when the lower swash link lines up with the elev servo link. Is this normal? Im assuming they should all have the same results to the one ive adjusted.
In preliminary tests in seems my tail is way under-powered and the added main blades have an immense amount of counter-torque that the tail can not compensate for. Are bigger tail blades the answer or should i add more tail blades?
Is there some advise on the Vbar settings for scale? I assume very low main gains and low agility would be a start?

thank you

EatMorePizza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you post a picture of your phasing problem? I'm having a hard time imagining what is happening, because the way I understand the problem indicates that your swash is just not symmetric, which seems impossible.
getsuyoubi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 02:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

With a slow headspeed and more blades, it is almost guaranteed that you will lack tail authority. Options;

1. Bigger (longer and/or wider) tail blades
2. #1 plus asymmetrical tail blades
3. Speed up the tail - change tail gearing
4. More tail blades

Any combination of the above.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi all,
Thanks for the response. It seems the swash follower has some play allowing slight variations in phasing. I will investigate this part and possibly a gaui alternative I've heard works very well.
After adjusting some mechanical and HS settings the tail held much better. I had too much neg pitch at center stick.
What pitch range should I aim for with this particular setup? I assume my usual 12-14* is out of the question here with all these blades.

EatMorePizza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

A 14 pitch range may be a touch light for a 450. I would suggest around -ve4-5 at low stick, and around +ve11-12 at high stick, which will give you a range of about 15-16 of total range, and about 5 at mid stick, which will just about be hovering (depends on your headspeed of course).

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in