Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 200SRX

200SRX Blade 200SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is the 200SRX a good heli for beginners?

I'm new to the hobby as the title suggests and would like some advice on my next heli purchase. My experience level is coaxial and I have grown bored of flying circles in the living room. For this reason I am looking into 4 channels since I have been advised not to buy a CP heli until I am more experienced. I have Phoenix sim and a dx6i radio so I will be buying the bnf version. Just a few questions I have also are is setup difficult? Is the SAFE feature capable of actually putting the heli into a hover? Finally is the quality good since I have seen mixed reviews or is this just from the usual factory lemons.
watsonja4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think that the 200 is a bad choice, necessarily. It's capability is pretty high for a FP heli...can be flipped and rolled. It does however, have some issues that you need to work through eventually. One is the ESC/tail issue. You can find plenty of reading on the forum about that. Fairly easy to fix, but something you have to do nonetheless. And then there is the relays. They can be damaged with just the slightest impact. Easy to rebuild for $4-5, but still a pain in the butt to deal with. There are some aftermarket ones that can be put in to alleviate the issue, but some modification has to be made. Overall, not a bad heli. Will be miles difference over any coax.

There is the 230s option. I know it is CP, but with safe and stability mode mine flies almost like my 200 and out of stability it hovers just as well as my 200 and I am in no way very experienced at CP helis. The size and frame are nearly the same and they even share a few components. For nearly the same cost, and none of the mentioned issues of the 200, I personally think that the 230s is a better place to start. Skip right over micro CPs and go to this, you'll be thankful you did. This would be my choice.
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow your right about the 230s and price, only 30$. If I do decide to go this route with a 230s what can I expect? Does the 230s have the self leveling feature or is it going to be a constant balancing act to stay upright. Is my dx6i compatible if so can I program the heli to have very slow movements since my coaxial is like flying a hot air balloon.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

First question I would ask you? How are you doing in the sim? what model are you flying in the sim? That will be your first indicator that you are moving to the next step of getting a cp heli.

Do you have other persons whom already fly cp's to guide you in your first flights and or setting up your Tx? Not a deal killer if you don't, it will just require a different plan. You can be successful either way.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, go here https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380 and follow the program. Stay on it for a couple of weeks, at least 30min per night, and I would say that you'd be ready for a 230s.

Yes, a DX6i can work. If you go to that forum you'll see others are using it. As long as you are in stability mode you will have the self leveling. You can tone down the settings if you like.

Honestly, my 230s in stability is more docile then my 200 on intermediate. When I switch out of stability and into full range of movement, 3D mode, it is incredibly stable and easy. For hovering, if you can handle a 200 you can handle a 230.

The one thing that you need the sim for is operating differences in CP vs FP vs coax. To get a CP heli moving in the direction you want it is a tap of the stick to get it going in whatever direction you give input for. In a FP heli, you would stay mashed in that direction until you change direction. Biggest change. Practice in the sim and actually do something constructive and not just tooling around and you will see what I am talking about. Pick the Gaui X7 and make sure your radio is set up correctly. Start the training.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
First question I would ask you? How are you doing in the sim? what model are you flying in the sim? That will be your first indicator that you are moving to the next step of getting a cp heli.

Do you have other persons whom already fly cp's to guide you in your first flights and or setting up your Tx? Not a deal killer if you don't, it will just require a different plan. You can be successful either way.

First question I am using the align trex 600 in the sim and I am trying to work on hovering from different angles while trying to stay in one of the boxes in the sports hall floor. I just found ArchmageAU's tutorial thread and I am going to start following it tonight.

Second question is no I am a solo act as our LHS owner is just into fixed wing. That is not to say I might meet people in the future willing to help.

My goals I would say are more scale as im not intrested in 3d and trying to wreck my expensive investment. I am fascinated by the mechanics in helis and would like to someday build my own from a kit.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My standard speech for a new pilot......

As I've posted many times before, no matter what you choose for the next heli, only fly in wide open areas where there is nothing to crash into except the ground! This one step will save you money and time at the repair bench.

Good Luck and welcome to the real heli hobby!
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would suggest the 230 if buyng new. As said, better bang for the $.
I got a great deal on a used 200 so I went with that and it's still a great heli.

That said, the bigger you fly the harder they crash = time and $ to fix.
I crashed the heck out of my mSR, 120SR, mSRx, mCPx and very rarely was I not able to pick them up and continue flying them.
If you merely tip over a 200 or 230 then it's likely off to the repair bench.

If you're a patient man, then go for the 200 or 230.
If you're like me, and can't resist trying to do too much before you have the skills, then a little guy will probasbly give you more stick time.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Van View Post
As I've posted many times before, no matter what you choose for the next heli, only fly in wide open areas where there is nothing to crash into except the ground! This one step will save you money and time at the repair bench.

Good Luck and welcome to the real heli hobby!
This is very good advice that I wish I would have followed, I would have saved considerable $ in repairs!
derelict001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
I don't think that the 200 is a bad choice, necessarily. It's capability is pretty high for a FP heli...can be flipped and rolled. It does however, have some issues that you need to work through eventually. One is the ESC/tail issue. You can find plenty of reading on the forum about that. Fairly easy to fix, but something you have to do nonetheless. And then there is the relays. They can be damaged with just the slightest impact. Easy to rebuild for $4-5, but still a pain in the butt to deal with. There are some aftermarket ones that can be put in to alleviate the issue, but some modification has to be made. Overall, not a bad heli. Will be miles difference over any coax.

There is the 230s option. I know it is CP, but with safe and stability mode mine flies almost like my 200 and out of stability it hovers just as well as my 200 and I am in no way very experienced at CP helis. The size and frame are nearly the same and they even share a few components. For nearly the same cost, and none of the mentioned issues of the 200, I personally think that the 230s is a better place to start. Skip right over micro CPs and go to this, you'll be thankful you did. This would be my choice.
I have a question regarding the "relays", what exactly do you mean by the "relays" as this is the first time I have heard this referenced to a heli part.

Bear with me as I am new to the hobby and was at a loss as to what part of the heli you are referring to. Possibly the servos is the only thing I can think that would be rebuilt, not replaced for $4 - $5.

Happy Flying

Techman-2000
Genesis X7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty sure he meant to say servos. Gears are really fragile. Easy to replace but easier to strip. May want to swap them out at some point.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonja4 View Post
I'm new to the hobby as the title suggests and would like some advice on my next heli purchase. My experience level is coaxial and I have grown bored of flying circles in the living room. For this reason I am looking into 4 channels since I have been advised not to buy a CP heli until I am more experienced. I have Phoenix sim and a dx6i radio so I will be buying the bnf version. Just a few questions I have also are is setup difficult? Is the SAFE feature capable of actually putting the heli into a hover? Finally is the quality good since I have seen mixed reviews or is this just from the usual factory lemons.
I started with the 200 SRX as a beginner, and I do not consider this to be a good beginner heli. Firstly, the heli is just on the border on being too heavy for the rotor to be controlled by a motor, so in windy conditions the translational lift is often hard to control and can easily cause crashes. Secondly, some models have issues with its ESC or tail motor.

With the 200 SRX, I mostly learned how to fix the heli and how to change servo gears, which was useful, but it was not until I bought a 360 CFX I really learned how to fly a CP heli with some help from the Phoenix sim. I would recommend to start learning on a CP heli if that is your eventual goal. The Blade 230S seems like a much better choice compared to the 200 SRX, and also comes with SAFE.
If you really want to start with a FP heli you can wait for the 120S to come out, which is a perfect size for a FP heli.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
Pretty sure he meant to say servos. Gears are really fragile. Easy to replace but easier to strip. May want to swap them out at some point.
Yes! Thanks for that!

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
Old 02-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonja4 View Post
First question I am using the align trex 600 in the sim and I am trying to work on hovering from different angles while trying to stay in one of the boxes in the sports hall floor. I just found ArchmageAU's tutorial thread and I am going to start following it tonight.

Second question is no I am a solo act as our LHS owner is just into fixed wing. That is not to say I might meet people in the future willing to help.

My goals I would say are more scale as im not intrested in 3d and trying to wreck my expensive investment. I am fascinated by the mechanics in helis and would like to someday build my own from a kit.
Having a method to build skill sets, and learn your orientations is a important part of your flying for sure.

You might also explore talking with CaptJac over on RCG . He does one on one lessons through Phoenix and Skype, and has taught countless students over the years. A great guy for sure, he really saves so much time getting on the right path.
You also mention interest in scale as opposed to 3D and might find this thread of interest also .

Even though a 200SRX was a step in my flying, I would also suggest that a 230S would be a fine beginner heli too. IT's what the 200SRX wishes it was.

The SRX is not any cheaper to maintain and repair. It will give you a platform to learn your orientations and circuit flying.
here is also the potential that you could pickup a bad habit or two from it. It can teach you some bad throttle muscle memory that might cause an issue when you begin flying in IU and your muscle memory has you slam the collective to full neg pitch in a panic reaction.
I just mention an example so that you can see there is wisdom in learning on a smaller CP ( that happens to have SAFE) if that is what you are going to fly.

Keep us posted on your progress and decision on which heli you might be going with. Check out the threads of any particular heli and learn ahead of time what issues you will likely be dealing with and get a feel for how others are enjoying them. Combine that with your ability to maintain basic hover control and some basic ff circuits, how to regain a tail in orientation as your out to prevent loss of orientation while flying in the SIm. Then purchase your heli, packs, charger, some spare parts, and go to a big open field - and get flying!

And on a serious note, even though you may be starting on a smaller heli, safety needs to be priority one. Develop those safety skills and habits early and they will prevent accidents later. At the very least review the safety threads here on HF, the AMA has a great set of guidelines you can review whether you choose to join that organization or not, and advice from other fellow pilots. Be Safe above all!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow excellent advice and great comments. Although I supported the 200 SRX I think the 230 S is really it's replacement. The problem with FP when migrating to CP is that you have positive and negative pitch on CP which makes it a lot more responsive and also with FP background you may slam the Heli to the ground if you try to throttle down. Yes the TX can be configured to minimize this but still I do think the 230 S to be the best beginner Heli. Now you do have to sim before to see what you are up against and some Heli sims do not even have FP models to try out.

So not really adding too much mostly reaffirming and supporting going straight to the 230 S. Please make sure if you decide on it go through all of JJInverted videos on this Heli and purchase the interface cable with your Heli purchase to do the calibration (when you see the videos you will understand what I mean).

Here is also a little something that is also what I like to share for anyone beginning in this awesome hobby.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=720316

Good luck!
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I'm just being totally honest,this was my first heli,and LAST.EVERY time I fly it something breaks,this is the biggest p.o.s ever..Who can afford to do this stuff?I'm not trying to be negative,just honest..You look at this thing wrong and a servo gear strips,or it won't fly right,or it vibrates..
lit549 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am probably on that phase as well. The problem is flying these things is hard. And if crashed the repair might not be easy due to vibrations messing up the FBL. It gets better over time. But if you are patient it will pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit549 View Post
Well I'm just being totally honest,this was my first heli,and LAST.EVERY time I fly it something breaks,this is the biggest p.o.s ever..Who can afford to do this stuff?I'm not trying to be negative,just honest..You look at this thing wrong and a servo gear strips,or it won't fly right,or it vibrates..
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit549 View Post
You lost me after, "this was my first heli...." I think many of us understand the frustration of breakage in the midst of learning to fly. There is not a heli out there that is indestructible. Call it what you want but what you are describing here has little to do with it and possibly more with you. This heli does have its flaws, but overall a pretty solid flyer IMO.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
Old 02-28-2016, 06:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

It doesn't matter what heli you buy and fly you WILL crash it while you learn, and the bigger they get the more complex and more expensive repairs become. Personally, I have always maintained that the 200SRX is NOT a good 1st heli for a beginner.

I started with a small fixed pitch flybared heli, which was virtually indestructible, and cost next to nothing so it didn't bother me how often it hit the ceiling or bounced off a wall. Picked it up, dusted it off and flew it again. Once proficient (or bored) with that I bought another small heli, but this time a collective pitch model. Again, I crashed a lot, but again it was pretty resilient and the repairs were cheap and easy to do. No specialist equipment needed.

Once proficient with that I moved up to the 200 SRX, which I have crashed 3 times in the 2 years I've had it, all because I was being stupid. Each crash cost me in spares and time spent setting it up again. Now I've got a Trex 450 Flybared heli, and setting up the head on that (at my level of experience with this class of heli) takes ages and a good deal more specialist equipment which doesn't come cheap.

So start simple and as your skills improve move up, but don't waste time on the hobby if you're looking to save money or afraid of spending the stuff, because no matter how good you get you will from time to time crash and what I paid for my first FP heli wouldn't even cover the cost of a set of blades on my 450.

There is nothing wrong with the 200 SRX, I love flying mine, but I do not agree it is an entry level heli. Flying RC helicopters is great fun hobby and part of that comes from the maintenance and repair and the learning process, but starting with something like the 200 SRX could, and by all accounts has put you and others off pursuing the hobby further, which is a great shame.
Boeingpete is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 07:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeingpete View Post
It doesn't matter what heli you buy and fly you WILL crash it while you learn, and the bigger they get the more complex and more expensive repairs become. Personally, I have always maintained that the 200SRX is NOT a good 1st heli for a beginner.

I started with a small fixed pitch flybared heli, which was virtually indestructible, and cost next to nothing so it didn't bother me how often it hit the ceiling or bounced off a wall. Picked it up, dusted it off and flew it again. Once proficient (or bored) with that I bought another small heli, but this time a collective pitch model. Again, I crashed a lot, but again it was pretty resilient and the repairs were cheap and easy to do. No specialist equipment needed.

Once proficient with that I moved up to the 200 SRX, which I have crashed 3 times in the 2 years I've had it, all because I was being stupid. Each crash cost me in spares and time spent setting it up again. Now I've got a Trex 450 Flybared heli, and setting up the head on that (at my level of experience with this class of heli) takes ages and a good deal more specialist equipment which doesn't come cheap.

So start simple and as your skills improve move up, but don't waste time on the hobby if you're looking to save money or afraid of spending the stuff, because no matter how good you get you will from time to time crash and what I paid for my first FP heli wouldn't even cover the cost of a set of blades on my 450.

There is nothing wrong with the 200 SRX, I love flying mine, but I do not agree it is an entry level heli. Flying RC helicopters is great fun hobby and part of that comes from the maintenance and repair and the learning process, but starting with something like the 200 SRX could, and by all accounts has put you and others off pursuing the hobby further, which is a great shame.
I got to agree with Pete. Not that I would tell anyone what to buy.
Once flying, the 200SRX is a fun bird. But start out cheap and small.
I use a V911 here in the house. Bad weather keeps me flying and
always learning. The 911 is a fun bird for in the house. Just my
opinion here. Start cheap and stay cheap till you can fly without
having an expensive crash. And, you will crash...

Drifter...
driftermickh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in