Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 180CFX

180CFX Blade 180CFX Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an MSRX that doesn't like to lift off unless you pop it off the ground. Otherwise it tends to tip over. Up until I put the T-Rex 250 gear on my 180 I was using training gear because I was worried about tip overs taking off from carpet. My fears were unfounded. Even though the T-Rex gear is a little wider I don't think the stock gear would have been a tip over problem. This little bird flys like a 450. Not at all like you would think something this small would. Take offs are smooth and fully controlled.

All of my 450's have 500 size gear and the 500 has old Gaui Hurricane 550 gear. I just happen to like a wide footprint.

Joe
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I look forward to seeing how this heli behaves - I keep hearing nothing but positive feedback - that's great!

But, that will have to wait. She's all in pieces now, still need to tear down the head and tail sections. And I found an extra 1.5mm hex driver that I forgot I had

I was able to bind her to my DSM2 DX6i (it's old, I know) and power her up on the bench. I was also able to enter servo centering mode (both sticks down and out), so things seem to be working !

All 4 included lipos have been discharged to storage mode - they were all sitting at around 4V per cell. One e-Flite pack still needs work - one of its cells is at 4V while the other two are at 3.7V, and my charger thinks the pack is balanced (?) They should all be a 3.8V - hmmmm ...

So far:
  • Bent feathering shaft
  • Bent main shaft
  • Cracked servo mounting tab
  • Cut signal wire (yellow) on ESC
  • Damaged ends of main and tail blades
That's enough for tonight ... severe weather moving in

-John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3097.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	641187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	641188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3095.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	641189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3096.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	641190  

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 03-16-2016 at 04:37 PM..
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now THAT'S an exploded view! For the cracked servo tab my 180 came with these from Microheli installed. LINK They fit so tight that if I ever break a tab I'll just glue these supports to the case and be done with it. Hmmm, maybe I should glue them BEFORE I break one......

Joe
Old 03-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just installed the lynx metal servo upper casings i got from ebay for like $25. They are totally awesome. Perfect fit and no more broken tabs. Well worth it imo. I also put in metal gears from microheli i think, and lynx break away arms. Servos are bullet proof now lol.

Grats on the 180. I imagine you will enjoy it when you get it dialed in. It is a fast little sucker and likes higher head speeds if you want that locked in feel. You can turn the gov off also if you want. I did so i could just run a flat throttle curve. However im at the point i may turn it back on.

Im sure you know by now, its actually really easy to work on with one or two good 1.5mm hex drivers and one good little screwdriver you can pretty much rebuild it.

And in my experience it is easy to tip over on takeoff. I usually get it full hs at 50% pitch then just punch it up a foot or two while im taking care of cyclic corrections. East enough, but i take care on that part each time.
plus many others 420 and under
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

MicroHeli, Lynx, WowHobbies, Phil's Hobby, Geez! So many options - reminds me of how popular the Blade400 used to be years ago. Good to see so much support for this heli - parts support has all but dried up on my other helis, so I'm afraid to fly them since crashing will mean having to find parts that don't exist anymore ...

So far I'm really impressed with the design and construction of this heli - Blade has come a long way for sure !

I need to get one of those CastleLink cables - I'd like to experiment with different throttle curve/gov settings eventually.

Is it recommended to get the programming cable for the AR6335 to turn on that AS3X stuff that's off by default? Not sure what all the options are there yet ...

Oops - I should have paid attention to the orientation when I took the main shaft out ... I need to start watching all of the JJinvertedproduction videos too.

Thanks Again Guys!
-John

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 03-16-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Old 03-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talk about dried up support. Get a Beam! Easily the nicest 450 heli ever produced but because there was no need to modify it and no aftermarket parts it "failed". I'll never understand that. People side stepped a perfect heli to buy a T-Rex and spend hundreds more trying to make it right. I have 3 Beam's and bought up every part I could find when they were blown out at pennies on the dollar. I have over $3,000.00 retail value of Beam parts now. The Beam's are the jewels of my entire R/C inventory!

Back on topic..... Look at ebay. Over 2,000 180CFX items for sale. I've been spending a few bucks there lately......

Joe
Old 03-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As I recall people were rotating the receiver to make aftermarket parts work...maybe servos, I can't remember? Does it have stock spectrum servos?
Old 03-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my Castle link kit directly from Castle and it came with everything. The software for it is there as well, and the kit is priced cheap . There is a current firmware update that addresses some kind of spool up issue, which I personally never noticed, but I did the update anyway .
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...stle_link.html

As far as any hidden features turned on in the receiver, I haven't seen anyone post that there were any, but you never know? You would need that cable to make sure your receiver firmware is updated to the 1.53 version which addresses some issues that Blade dealt with early on.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoneberg View Post
As I recall people were rotating the receiver to make aftermarket parts work...maybe servos, I can't remember? Does it have stock spectrum servos?
Yes, it's got the Spektrum H2060 servos. Looks like it could also be that some early photos (and the manual) were posted first, then the decision was made to rotate the receiver so the antenna could hang out the back of the heli (?). Just my assumption here. I'm not sure how much easier it would actually be to get to the servo connectors if it was turned around. Maybe if it was mounted to the bottom (outside) of the heli frame, but that would be ugly and prone to damage ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
I got my Castle link kit directly from Castle and it came with everything. The software for it is there as well, and the kit is priced cheap . There is a current firmware update that addresses some kind of spool up issue, which I personally never noticed, but I did the update anyway .
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...stle_link.html

As far as any hidden features turned on in the receiver, I haven't seen anyone post that there were any, but you never know? You would need that cable to make sure your receiver firmware is updated to the 1.53 version which addresses some issues that Blade dealt with early on.
Cool! It looks like I can fix that cut/broken ESC wire by cutting all three at the damage point and re-soldering them to the ESC. Man, that thing is small ! I'm also going to shorten the wires on the tail servo and save some weight.

I was able to support a local hobby shop today (not my LHS - it closed a couple years ago ) by purchasing all needed replacement parts, except for the servo case which they did not have. I was amazed to see that they actually had a decent stock of 180cfx parts. I decided to replace the tail rotor shaft as well - just to be safe. I could have ordered them all online and saved around $5 but I like the idea of having a LHS around.

I'm figuring get her fixed up and flying stock first, then see what kind of goodies to get

-John

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 03-16-2016 at 04:38 PM..
Old 03-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

What a great tail design! It's like a blend of my Mini-Titan E325 with torque tube and Swift 550 with belt drive. This would have been the cake on my old Hirobo Quark. I really like those metal supports inside the front gear case - very nice! Those are some pico-sized screws holding the tail grips on though

I noticed that the tail shaft doesn't sit perfectly level - it's pitched down slightly as it extends out the right side of the boom. I checked the alignment slot at the front of the tail boom and the alignment holes at the rear - they're all positioned correctly. Is this by design or are the boom's alignment holes/slot not exactly where they're supposed to be ?

-John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3098.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	641318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3099.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	641319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3100.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	641320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3101.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	641321  
Old 03-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
I noticed that the tail shaft doesn't sit perfectly level - it's pitched down slightly as it extends out the right side of the boom. I checked the alignment slot at the front of the tail boom and the alignment holes at the rear - they're all where they're supposed to be. Is this by design ?
This is common. Most here don't seem to see it as an issue. It bugged the crap out of me though. The stock tail case couldn't be tightened enough to hold straight no matter what posted trick I tried. I finally bought the Lynx TAIL CASE and all is good! Mine already came with the Lynx BOOM CLAMPS. I really, really wanted to buy tail blade grips from Lynx but the 3 bearing ones from Microheli looked better so I ordered them. Should be here Friday. I've hated Microheli for years.....

Joe
Old 03-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, those Lynx boom clamps (and tail case) look sweet. I noticed some mushing of the plastic (and the holes getting ready to strip) and those clamps look like they'll fix that right up. Luckliy I have a new front gear box that I swapped in for now.

Years ago I tried $50 MicroHeli CNC main gear set with one-way bearing for my Blade400. Turns out the diameter of the gears was like .025" larger, and caused all kinds of binding, noise, pilot frustration, etc. I ended up putting the $8 stocker back in. Hopefully things have improved by now ...

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 03-17-2016 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

The lynx boom clap is sweet, I have broke 2 stock clamps, the lynx one has yet to fail me.

I also have the tail case and tail blade grips, the tail case is great. I have not used the lynx tail blade grips yet as the stock ones are still holding strong, I will wait till they fail to replace them.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to hear - those guys at Lynx seem to have thought of everything !

Speaking of grips, (the stock main rotor grips), are there really bushings/spacers (#1) behind the thrust bearings as shown in the attachment (circled in red)? Mine don't have them, but I realize the drawing (from the Blade 180CFX manual) may not be 100% correct either ... And, shouldn't the thrust bearing (#38) be out on the end, instead of the radial bearing ?

-John

Oops - Already posted and answered: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=689004
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-17 11.02.57.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	641404  

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 03-17-2016 at 02:08 PM..
Old 03-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

you might want to get some lynx parts to keep you in the air. I found
quickly that the gears, and aluminum torque tube tail boom won't last
but if you get the slipper clutch torque tube shaft,carbon fiber tail boom
and metal transmission gears with the servo saver arms this thing can take a beating. Some people are using the trex 250 landing gear as well for
strength and tail rotor clearance.
J Amo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks JAmo ... I'm pretty sure some Lynx parts are in this heli's future ... I've just got to pace myself, and the checkbook (if you know what I mean) I'll feel better and more confident once I get her in the air and at least some initial hovers on the books, along with some non-eventful landings - positive thinking anyway

The rotor head bearings all seemed to be in good shape. I replaced the feathering and main shafts. She's mostly put back together, for now, except for the electronics. I found that the original tail boom wasn't pushed in all the way up front, it was sticking out like 1/8" - corrected that. Still need to go around with some blue thread lock here and there, especially in the grips. Now I need to get in the 'soldering mood' so I can fix the ESC's wires and shorten the tail servo's wires.

She is kinda fun to work on. This heli is helping me get the 'heli bug' back I really like the hex head screws as opposed to Phillip's head screws. I'm also taking care not to over tighten as warned by you guys

-John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3103.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	641512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	641513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	641514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3106.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	641515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3108.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	641516  

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 03-18-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Old 03-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

AR6335 Question ...

From the manual, I set the DX6i to single servo for the swash type and that works. But the heli actually has 3 servos, so the receiver must be performing the CCPM function, right? But when I look at Spektrum's website for this receiver I can't find anything that talks about turning CCPM on and off, in fact all of the documentation pertains to airplanes. It's not even referred to as being a flybarless controller for helicopters.

What am I missing here ? Where does it get it's heli smarts from ? Is this something that's controlled via the programming cable ? Are the receivers installed in the helis pre-programmed at the factory ?

Sorry - Confused ...
-John
Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Receivers are programmed from the factory, no user adjustable parameters for heli software.

Somewhere there is a post from a Blade rep stating that this was done so users with limited programming knowledge would not screw up the factory presets.

The airplane only parameters can be changed by way of the programming cable.

Sucks to be a heli user.

HW.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahhh, I see. So buying a replacement receiver could be tricky then ... Buying one from Blade for the 180CFX would imply getting a heli one while buying one from Spektrum would imply getting an airplane one. Couldn't they at least give them different part numbers or something?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

The replacement receiver is an airplane version.Does not matter where it is purchased from.
What makes it the heli version is the user installing the download from Spektrums site.

I purchased a second one and downloaded the 180 version 1.53 software update so it functions as a heli receiver.

There is no user adjustable functions, i.e. swash configuration,servo reversing,etc.

This receiver is also used in the Blade AH-64, which I believe has its' own software version.( I would have to check Spektrums website to be sure.)

Clear as mud,ain't it.

HW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in