Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
You can cross this reason off your list then.

There are four ways to buddy-box wirelessly with a Jeti TX.

1 - As detailed in this thread. With a third-party PPM out-capable RX wired to the Jeti TX

2 - Using a Jeti R3 receiver wired to the student TX (The R3 is able to act as a TX module)

3 - Using a Jetibox wired to the student TX

4 - Using a Jeti module, such as the TU-2 wired to the student TX
Hmmm... Actually of these, only 2, 3 and 4 use the built in Jeti Trainer capabilities and programming. Using 1 you need a $10 sim cable and I think might actually need to configure the Jeti internal PPM port as a PPM IN. (That or you may need to use a different actual pin and rewire the connector making it no longer work for SIM's)

In any case, you have once you get the signal in there, the ability to do anything you want. All those individual methods listed above are actually proven and often used methods in other aspects of the hobby.

Repurposing of the throttle stick inputs to have many flight mode switches. (Gliders and DLG launch, vs thermal and several gradual mixed flap/aileron functions...)

Logical switches - Boosting throws during a brief maneuver (Snap roll mixing... very common!) When you move throttle, elev and aileron, enable 120% on aileron? You get a snap you can only get by hitting full elevator and aileron at once.

Also common are many knife edge and axial roll mixes that come into play when you move sticks past certain points to help hold a steady perfect knife edge, axial roll, or harrier.

In heli speak - Try to find that old crappy MSRx... And make mixes that make it fly like the pilot is not intoxicated.. (The ideas are the same. Mixing in aileron and elev with rudder to make it spin/piro reasonably level, or crab right and left in a straight line.)

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Jeti folks that have barely scratched the surface of their TX. Us curious folk will uncover all kinds of weird and sometimes even helpful stuff you can do with em now.

Funny thing is that once you mix some of that stuff up, you just can't envision going back to a regular TX. Magic things happen when folks know folks with a Jeti... (Kinda like when your kids go to school during flu season... nearly EVERYONE gets it in the end.)
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloXray View Post
OK, I'll bite. What additional functionality do I get by going with an R3? What kind of handoff and taking of control does that give you. Different from the possibilities with the PPM in and mixes?

How does one attach it to the DX9? If I am running a cable from the plug in the back of the DX9, doesnt that mean that I have this whole big thing dangling off of my DX9 now? With the proposed method I will have an RX inside of the Jeti and nothing dangling anywhere. Seems it is certainly the cleanest setup, even if it requires a bit more programming.

So far I am seeing my proposed method as difficult yet possible instead of possible yet too difficult.

You get your buddy boxing experience exactly as it was designed to work by Jeti.

No complicated mixing setups needed. No logical switches, no guesswork or trial and error.

The bit about assigning percentage of control, should you wish to use it, is built right in to the student-teacher menu. (You will not be using this menu should you go with the PPM-IN option)

With regards to installation, I do not have a DX9, so I won't be able to address that directly.

However, I had installed an R3 RX inside a Futaba TX last year, and there was ample room for it.

I removed it recently because I have a Jetibox. That works even better, because it just slots in on the top. Plus I get telemetry with voice on my old Futaba TX.

But I digress, it is not my intention to sell you an R3 RX (or a jetibox for that matter) You are now aware of the possibilities and options at your disposal, and can make an informed choice using the criteria you feel are most relevant to you.
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
OK, I'll bite. What additional functionality do I get by going with an R3? What kind of handoff and taking of control does that give you. Different from the possibilities with the PPM in and mixes?

How does one attach it to the DX9? If I am running a cable from the plug in the back of the DX9, doesnt that mean that I have this whole big thing dangling off of my DX9 now? With the proposed method I will have an RX inside of the Jeti and nothing dangling anywhere. Seems it is certainly the cleanest setup, even if it requires a bit more programming.

So far I am seeing my proposed method as difficult yet possible instead of possible yet too difficult.
You get your DS14 - Thinking it see's another real Jeti on the other end of the communication... so what it can do with that, depends if you bought the Jeti built in trainer feature unlock.

With it - You get a functional (nearly identical to Spektrum) wireless buddy box. Pre-built, you just basically re-bind each use.

Without the unlock - You get nothing usable at all. (I THINK!) It requires Dual path which is also an unlock... so map to two RX's at once. I think you may be able to see those as input, then craft your trainer logic as above...

Its kinda funky considering the non sanctioned approach of some of this. Its using things in a way that was unexpected by the developer. (I'm thinking... else they might have locked those features away too.)

DS16 is easier cause you have access to all of it period. Some falls back to what features you unlocked. The Jeti Buddy Box is wireless only, and Jeti to Jeti only. The R3 gives ways to make that work, but its using more traditional channels. Might need features not on your DS14 till you unlock em.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_jeeves View Post
Hmmm... Actually of these, only 2, 3 and 4 use the built in Jeti Trainer capabilities and programming. Using 1 you need a $10 sim cable and I think might actually need to configure the Jeti internal PPM port as a PPM IN.

That is correct.

And very well said for everything else you wrote. :-)
Old 04-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That is correct.

And very well said for everything else you wrote. :-)
Thank you... I'm still learning too. But I grabbed up 4 Jetis and use em religiously with the kids (Plus they all have the JR module added) and we use that buddy box a lot.

Was a freaking HUGE move for us, but we like it. Its just so cool what you can do with em, and that its so much easier than doing the same thing with OpenTX.

Believe me, we've put em through their paces.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
The Airetic

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think I am going to proceed as planned. I do already have the free mixes and logic switches unlocked on my DS14 so no additional cost for me.

Either way, it will be fun to try and make it all work. I am optimistic that it will. Who needs a pre made set of menus? Not this guy. (Famous last words I may eat later, lol. )

By the way, Jeeves, your second guess was right. On the PPM jack, there are 4 pins. They are ppm in, ppm out, power and ground. It will be simple to wire up directly to the ppm in pin and also get power for the rx.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would agree with the other guys, the R3 solution and using the built in functionality would be a good option.

You need to supply power to the Rx and connect it to the buddy box port of you Spektrum Tx. A quick and easy solution would be a small 2s pack, say a 450mah Lipo attached to the the Rx with double sided tape and then Velcro that to the back of the Tx. Or you could mount in a small box with the battery and hang it off the handle of the slave Tx like I have done with my module based solution.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
I would agree with the other guys, the R3 solution and using the built in functionality would be a good option.

You need to supply power to the Rx and connect it to the buddy box port of you Spektrum Tx. A quick and easy solution would be a small 2s pack, say a 450mah Lipo attached to the the Rx with double sided tape and then Velcro that to the back of the Tx. Or you could mount in a small box with the battery and hang it off the handle of the slave Tx like I have done with my module based solution.

//Dennis.
Oh yeah... Going that route, the DX9 (All spek TX's) will provide 6v power out the charge port.

So the charge port (Where you pop in 12v to keep internal batteries ok...) will put out 6v to power a module like the old Tactic AnyLink...

Just tap that and run PPM into a 3.5mm jack on the DX9. Just like the old anylink worked. Actually you could grab one of those for like $19 I think and use both cables, maybe even pop the R3 into the case, and be done with it.

HAHA!!!! WOOOOOOOT!!! LOL!

So here you go... $5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tactic-A...YAAOSwvFZW7mvr

Basically pop that into your R3, and plug into the DX9... DONE!
Old 04-07-2016, 02:18 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Airetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_jeeves View Post
Oh yeah... Going that route, the DX9 (All spek TX's) will provide 6v power out the charge port.

So the charge port (Where you pop in 12v to keep internal batteries ok...) will put out 6v to power a module like the old Tactic AnyLink...

Just tap that and run PPM into a 3.5mm jack on the DX9. Just like the old anylink worked. Actually you could grab one of those for like $19 I think and use both cables, maybe even pop the R3 into the case, and be done with it.

HAHA!!!! WOOOOOOOT!!! LOL!

So here you go... $5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tactic-A...YAAOSwvFZW7mvr

Basically pop that into your R3, and plug into the DX9... DONE!
Hmm. You guys are killing me. I may end trying both setups to find a preference.

Do I HAVE TO buy the "Secondary transmitter module" (16 Euros) upgrade to make use of that R3 setup?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hmm. You guys are killing me. I may end trying both setups to find a preference.

Do I HAVE TO buy the "Secondary transmitter module" (16 Euros) upgrade to make use of that R3 setup?

I just checked the user manual.

Sadly, yes :-(

I had no idea about this restriction before it was brought up here. Sorry...
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's what I will tell you on going the mixes and rx in the Jeti vs the built in trainer function. Initially I set mine up like you are discussing here, and as shown in my original video. My son and I flew like that for a few months and it worked very well. However, throttle was one control that never worked quite perfectly, and on larger planes with multiple surfaces like my 3DHS Bigfoot with separate ailerons and flaps (4 servo wing) it took a LOT of mixes to make everything work.

So I decided to start searching for a module solution that I could drop into my Taranis. Sadly they aren't sold in the US, and no one overseas had them in stock. Finally I found one used on eBay here in the US, and moved over to using that with the built in Jeti trainer programming.

In terms of setup, it's night and day. The way I came up with works and is cheap, but it takes a lot of brainpower and fiddling to make it all work correctly. The built in Jeti trainer is a pain in the sense that every time I want to use it I have to jump through multiple levels of menus to turn it on, but once it's on, it is dead simple. The Jeti handles all the mixing, I just have to hit a couple of checkboxes the first time to tell it what I want the kid to have.

Like I said, I have the module, which I don't believe is available anywhere anymore, but if I were doing it again, or using something besides a Taranis to train with, I'd go with an R3. Open up the radio you want as your trainer box and it will be trivial to solder a servo connector on to a PPM out from the trainer and pull power from somewhere inside the radio. Take that lead and plug it into an R3, bind it to the trainer function of the Jeti and you are up and running with everything hidden inside the radio you want to use as your trainer box. Just tape the RX inside along with the antennas.

That's just how I'd do it. If you have a Taranis as your trainer box you don't even have to open up the radio, you can throw the RX inside the module bay and make a cable to plug in to the pins in there.
Eury is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool! So you were an OpenTX guy who came before me!

That's awesome!

So I feel better about my assessment now. Us old OpenTX folks are actually used to all these features and capabilities. (Perhaps the hardest sentence for the Jeti community to come to grips with... ) But we are in no way used to the ease those features are presented. THAT is the culture shock we feel. Results are that we kinda go buck-wild and configure just dang near everything to solidify how, and each one of us that switches will likely bring some unique perspective that is wildly valuable to the Jeti community.

Just sayin... If HandyMan, or others like him, makes the jump, we're going to hear some more ideas about how to use the Jeti that no one has seen yet.

It's a really cool and really fun time to be a Jeti guy.

The throttle issue you faced will be fixed with that extra channel remap from above, as well as logical switches for the individual channel mixes. (Let's you bump one while others are unaffected. Also let's your student have control back if you stop moving sticks)

The complex control mixes, are set up wrong... You'll need to re set those to drive from not the stick, but the master channel. (Dual aileron gets made as ail stick --> ch2 100, ail stick --> ch3 -100... You need ail stick --> ch2, ch2 --> ch3 -100. So what you map to ch2 drives all aileron servos. )

Hope that helps guys! This is an amazing system!

Edit: I think you brought up the real difference in the built in trainer. It's "stick to stick" mapping. Not "stick to channel". So it's easier than anything to set up.

You take a 4ch input from student, and map to controls by name. In the teacher, if those controls work several surfaces, the student gets all that without more configuration.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, I preordered a Taranis when they were announced and got one from the first shipment. I'm jealous of all the Taranis newcomers who have had solid transmitters from day one with awesome stuff like haptic feedback.

The throttle issue can be solved, I ended up doing it by using a flight mode that remapped the control. All the same, the built in trainer takes much less brainpower.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
The Airetic

I'm back to this. Does anyone know if the R7 Nano rx has the same "tx" capability as the R3? It is super tiny and would fit very easily inside of the DX9.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm back to this. Does anyone know if the R7 Nano rx has the same "tx" capability as the R3? It is super tiny and would fit very easily inside of the DX9.

Well, it only has the one antenna, so at most, it would have half the capability where that is concerned.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:37 AM   #36 (permalink)
The Airetic

Quote:
Well, it only has the one antenna, so at most, it would have half the capability where that is concerned.
I don't really intend to have more than a few meters between the slave and master radios. I would think signal strength would not be an issue.

Or am I understanding the direction of flow incorrectly?

Is the flow:

Slave-master-aircraft

or

Master - slave - aircraft

In other words, is the rx that I put in the DX9 actually talking to the aircraft, or is it only talking to my DS14?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The DX9 is talking to the DS14 and the DS14 is connected to the aircraft.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 AM   #38 (permalink)
The Airetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eury View Post
The DX9 is talking to the DS14 and the DS14 is connected to the aircraft.
Ok good. This is what I thought. So, the short range of the R7 is a non issue. I just would like to know if the R7 is a viable substitute for the R3 in this application.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For mine I wired a long simple stereo cable to servo leads that plugs into the back of the DX9.

The R3 was then flashed with the proper firmware and the PPM cable from the DX9 goes into the R3. I made a lead from a 2s battery into the R3 to provide power and put it into a small wooden box. The box sits on the ground and bench and just bridges the DX9 to the Jeti.

You just make a model in the DX9 for Jeti communication just like you would for a sim.

You need to adjust the servo travel on the DX9 in the radio so that you get the correct travel on the model. I think I had to bump the travel up to 125 or so.

Now I can buddy box any radio with a PPM out. Just insert the correct lead and poof your done!

The only issue is to get a model set up in the slave radio with the correct parameters.

So in recap as above. Slave sends signal through PPM to R3, R3 transmits signal wirelessly to Jeti, Jeti controls model.

I don't think the R7 has the correct firmware to "reverse" the functions so it can take a signal in and transmit it to the master controller. There is a very specific firmware for the R3 for this purpose.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Ok good. This is what I thought. So, the short range of the R7 is a non issue. I just would like to know if the R7 is a viable substitute for the R3 in this application.
I don't think the R7 works like that. The R3 requires a special firmware to support the buddy box, and that firmware isn't out for the R7.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in