Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2019, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default V2 ESC tail wires breaking off

First, I want to say this heli has been great for the most part. I bought it last September and have around 100 flights on it. However, I have now had two tail wires break off at the solder point on the ESC. First, was the black wire, around flight 30, which caused the heli to spin out of control and some damage. After a resolder, the black wire and added solder to the blue and red wires, the black wire has held strong. And the other two wires seemed to be holding strong as well.

Of course the blue wire decided to break off today and sent the heli into an nonstop piro. I hit throttle hold about 20 ft up. But with being over asphalt, the heli doesn't really like hitting it and caused a lot more damage.

I don't know how many others have been having this issue? But please check these wires often. I had even checked them today while flying and it still broke after 3 flights in. I guess its like playing the slots as to when one of these wires will break.

I had sworn off of Blade products years ago. But bought the 230s V2 because of all of the positive comments on the 230s. And I again have really enjoyed it I'm just irritated that the solder points for the tail wires to the ESC are a weak point. And because they fail unnessarily, I end up having damage and costs that I feel should of never happened in the first place if Horizon Hobby would of made these connections stronger.

Does anyone have any additional solutions that might help to strenghten these solder points or ESC options? I know about using two ESC's, but would like to stay with one ESC that maybe a better option than stock.

Thanks.

Last edited by blkrvn1993; 07-17-2019 at 02:44 PM..
blkrvn1993 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 04:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow - breaking off without any contact or anything? They have to be melting off I'd say - how hot does that ESC get exactly?
darren.ankney@gmail.com is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same issue cropped up on some of the V1's. Poor soldering at factory on ESC.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

This is what it looks like. There is some bare wire visible on the end. I will take the ESC out later today. But looking in at it, there appears to be some bare wire attached to the solder on the ESC board.

Possibly melting. However, I don't know if that is happening seeing that the mfg solder took over 800 plus degrees to heat up reattaching the black wire. Also, I have never had the ESC show signs of being hot. Even my motor and tail motor only get warm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190717_071625.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	803735  
Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

When one wire goes, resistance increases dramatically and the wires overheat. Change all 3 at the same time. Look for hardening in the wires. That is a sure sign of overheating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	180CFX Motor Wires2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	803741  
Flyguytruckguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguytruckguy View Post
When one wire goes, resistance increases dramatically and the wires overheat. Change all 3 at the same time. Look for hardening in the wires. That is a sure sign of overheating.
Those wires on your pic of the motor definitely have visible signs of overheating and the insulation melting. But there are no signs of any of that on my tail motor wires and/or bullet connectors.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is my ESC. Nothing is melted on either the motor side or tail side. The only reason the clear plastic wrap on ESC is cut up was so I could access the solder joints the first time. I then wrap that end with some electrical tape for insulation.

To me it appears too small gauge of wire has been used for the tail wires. However, the black wire I resoldered is on there strong. I'm going to resolder the blue and red wires again and see if that helps.

It is just frustating when U have a great flying heli that even hovers cyclic free for a couple of seconds upside down, that U have to worry about a failure like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190717_111152.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	803769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190717_111225.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	803771   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190717_111752.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	803773  
Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am wondering if its the environmentally friendly solder we have to use these days. It may be prone to failure with a little vibration or maybe the flux corroding it or something. Fortunately I still have some of the old real stuff my dad bought probably 40 years ago. It solders so much easier and quicker than the modern stuff.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
I am wondering if its the environmentally friendly solder we have to use these days. It may be prone to failure with a little vibration or maybe the flux corroding it or something. Fortunately I still have some of the old real stuff my dad bought probably 40 years ago. It solders so much easier and quicker than the modern stuff.

LOL i have so much old solder from my dad that i'll never run out as little soldering as i do...
darren.ankney@gmail.com is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok my 2 cents. Had the same issues with my 230s V2. Happened to me 5 times so far in about 1000 flights. Solders hold, but wires simply melt at the end of it. Always happened during repeating of power demanding manouvers - tic tocs or piroflip practices i was doing.
So yeah one more reason to go into full colective helis - no more tail wire failures 😁
TomazB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 05:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had several incidents where my tail motor wires came off the esc. On the first instance the black wire came off as I was inspecting the 230S on the ground. So I soldered it back. A months or so later I noticed the helistart to spin on the ground as I was spooling it up . I shut it off and noticed yet another wire (blue I think) was off the ESC. So I soldered that back as well. The last time the wires took a beating when I had a crash that mangled and severed the tail boom. That crash cut through one of the wires, ripped the insulation off another and yanked the red wire off the ESC. Needless to say I had to replace the boom as well as repair/replace the wires using new wire, solder, heat shring and good ol' fashined rosin core solder. I havent had a problem since but I still check those tail wires regularly.
HohnGenerator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in