Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HohnGenerator
  • 1 Post By Psycho_dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 230S V1 - acting strange...possible causes ==> resolved

Good afternoon all,

yesterday (Saturday) was our weekly fly-day and after flying my 130S, I decided to put my 230S V1 in the air.

Took off in stability mode, switched over to idle 1 and kept it in a nice stable hover about 1,5 meter (5 feet) above the ground... and than the following occured:

All of the sudden heli climbs up for about 1 second (like you would hit full throttle) only I did not gave any command to my transmitter.

This occured several times within a timeframe of 2 minutes and same issue in Idle 2. I put the heli down and replaced the battery... same issue.

Do you guys have any clue in what direction I need to look to locate my issue (ESC, receiver,...)? Heli does not have any crash-history and flew great without having any issues until yesterday.

Last edited by Psycho_dad; Yesterday at 01:31 PM..
Psycho_dad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would put the heli on the ground in TH and slowly move the pitch control and check you have good smooth pitch control. Sometimes a servo can get sticky or the swash could be a bit sticky on the mainshaft. Also check all the servo connections are good and that the receiver aerial is not stuck in some odd place. I would have thought if it was the ESC you would loose control of the heli altogether or it wouldn't work.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was going to suggest checking out the rotor head for parts being worn out.

About four years ago I had a similar problem with my V1 and just by accident I replaced the head with an aftermarket aluminium set up and the problem stopped.I am pretty sure my swash was the culprit.

I'm not a heli wizard, I just got lucky.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks for the comments cross checked everything, unfortunately issue still remains...

I'm afraid my assumption (malfunction of ESC or receiver) will be the cause. the cost to replace both is almost equal to the cost of buying a new 230S V2.

Will let it rest and decide in the near future...
Old 07-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

ESC and Receivers are generally working or never going to work ever again. You just don't see intermittent failures in these components, not saying its impossible just highly unlikely.

I would look for a servo problem, possibly a servo arm slipping or a servo failing, wire cut, loose connection. Make sure you are in hold or disconnect the main motors before doing this. You can also put a small load on the servo while moving the collective up and down to look for issues as well.

Best Regards,
Brian Bremer
Horizon Hobby, LLC
brianbremer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your reply Brian

Next Saturday, I'll perform an entire inspection on the heli and take all your tips/advice into account.

Kind regards
PD
Old 07-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_dad View Post
Good afternoon all,

yesterday (Saturday) was our weekly fly-day and after flying my 130S, I decided to put my 230S V1 in the air.

Took off in stability mode, switched over to idle 1 and kept it in a nice stable hover about 1,5 meter (5 feet) above the ground... and than the following occured:

All of the sudden heli climbs up for about 1 second (like you would hit full throttle) only I did not gave any command to my transmitter.

This occured several times within a timeframe of 2 minutes and same issue in Idle 2. I put the heli down and replaced the battery... same issue.

Do you guys have any clue in what direction I need to look to locate my issue (ESC, receiver,...)? Heli does not have any crash-history and flew great without having any issues until yesterday.
Quick question. I realize I may be stating the obvious but was there and wind or gusts ? Sometimes if I am hovering this heli and a gust of wind hits it it will give it a sudden burst of lift causing it to rise rapidly for a second or two, almost as if I gave it a sudden jolt of collective.
Flyguytruckguy likes this.
HohnGenerator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

No winds nor gusts.

Just imagine wind still, heli being in a stable hover and all of the sudden you hit full throttle twice for a split second.

The day after tomorrow, I will submit the heli to a full inspection.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Contagious?

Must be contagious. Over the weekend, without crash nor foul play, my 230s v.1 started acting up after a dozen uneventful flights.

- Can barely lift it off the ground without the cyclic being momentarily, but continuously jerked in random directions with no input from me - this is new behavior. Not even stable enough on take off to do a trim flight. NO odd cyclic behavior before applying throttle. Random cyclic activity begins during spool up. I have to land withing 15 seconds of lift off to avoid a crash due to the random cyclic bursts. These motions can happen both fore/aft and port/starboard cyclic activity.

Very well behaved when powered up (no throttle) on the bench. NO servo issues (binding/buzzing) - all directions move easily.

The only 'hint' I have is that there may be issues with the flight controller/receiver is, that after initialized and before spool up, the swash used to rest itself in a hard right position before. Now...the swash just stays flat. That is new behavior.

Thoughts from the forum...or should I try phoning "customer service" (and grow a beard while on hold) at HH?

All the best.

LATE UPDATE...
One of the SYSTEM settings in my DX8 somehow got changed. Not sure how..as I didn't do it intentionally. When I tried to change it back the option the manual recommended was not present. I then created a new "heli" profile and was able to make all setting per manual. Wala! Back in business with stable flights & dipped swash after initialization and before spool up. I'm chalking that bit of weirdness up to a bug in the DX8...especially since it would not offer me the setting I needed on the existing heli profile.

Last edited by onepiece; 07-15-2019 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Found a solution...without ever knowing how the problem occured.
onepiece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Collar on main shaft slipping?

Did you check to see if the metal collar on the mainshaft is in the correct position and not slipping? If the mainshaft can move up and down that can change the pitch unexpectedly.
Wobbly Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_dad View Post
No winds nor gusts.

Just imagine wind still, heli being in a stable hover and all of the sudden you hit full throttle twice for a split second.

The day after tomorrow, I will submit the heli to a full inspection.
That would be scary if I were doing a practice test hover in my driveway because I am under a canopy of trees. Would most likely end up tangled in the branches.

I would follow the suggestions given then. Also, check your head for excessive wobble. It could be worn head dampers. Worn dampers can create all sorts of problems,.
HohnGenerator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

*update*

Last Saturday, our weekly flying day, I picked up the 230S and put it to a test again....this time indoors (we own a large warehouse). Unfortunately the same issue occured and it even got worse

At first the heli had uncontrollable up-movements while hovering, now it also suffered from uncontrollable down-movements

Took all of your advices into account:
- check spindle
- check connections
- check servos
- check dampers
- put little pressure on servo arms
==> all to no avail

At this point I was getting frustrated and actually lost all hope. I wanted to start stripping down the heli and then I noticed something strange... The black wire of the ESC somehow "touched" the motor of the 230S. Cross checked the entire wire and found the protection of the wire melted away. So basically bare metal of the wire was touching my motor during flight and was creating false inputs (resulting in heli going up and down in an uncontrollable way).

I fixed the wire and heli flies again without any issues

and on top of this, my 3 bladed conversion kit of Microheli was delivered today
Flyguytruckguy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in