Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Circuits and hurricanes all orientation and directions EXCEPT reverse inverted CW and CCW although have to admit still some work needs to be done on upright reverse.
You know for me, upright reverse circuits was by far the hardest thing to really get down. I spent a lot of time on this but once I had it nailed, I can honestly say that forward and reverse inverted circuits came much easier than expected. So it may be worth investing some extra time on upright reverse and I suspect you may find it helps with both inverted orientations.

I have found learning CP heli flight to be a lot like learning to play an instrument, guitar in my case. Time spent practising a particular skill can reap rewards in other areas.
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right on! I love that analogy have used it before. I think exactly the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
You know for me, upright reverse circuits was by far the hardest thing to really get down. I spent a lot of time on this but once I had it nailed, I can honestly say that forward and reverse inverted circuits came much easier than expected. So it may be worth investing some extra time on upright reverse and I suspect you may find it helps with both inverted orientations.

I have found learning CP heli flight to be a lot like learning to play an instrument, guitar in my case. Time spent practising a particular skill can reap rewards in other areas.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went ahead and added LED headlights, and also side nav lights. (I like to tinker)

I like the headlights, not too happy with the side nav lights...they are too big, and ugly, and not bright enough.

I'm gonna dump them and find some smaller LEDs (about the same as the headlights), maybe blinky ones, and put them up inside the frame area behind the canopy somewhere.

230s (1 min 40 sec)
net wurker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 05:43 AM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post

YES!! Along with most funnels, especially upright tail down and any non-coordinated stick moves! Logical thought.

Now...what was this thread about again?

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 05:46 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
I went ahead and added LED headlights, and also side nav lights. (I like to tinker)

I like the headlights, not too happy with the side nav lights...they are too big, and ugly, and not bright enough.

I'm gonna dump them and find some smaller LEDs (about the same as the headlights), maybe blinky ones, and put them up inside the frame area behind the canopy somewhere.
At least you got the port and starboard colors on the correct sides

Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll admit, I had to google it to make sure.
jrman83 and Thickfog like this.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #187 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Although technically not correct, I used the low cost light kit for the old CX-3 MD500E. It has a very bright white light along with three red LED's that add something to the helicopter, just not correct navigation lights. It does work for orientation as the way I have it installed, the white light is on the underside of the helicopter and points slightly down, making it a very good landing light. It certainly does light up the ground in front of it. It's now long gone from their inventory but their universal kit is still available. I don't like very much it because it has too many flashing lines. It can drive 16 LED"s but I have not tried to work out a better lighting arrangement for my Huey (CP Pro 2) and MD500E (Align). They are as they will be. Horizon does have 5mm LED's that are very bright with the usual red, white, and green plus they add blue and yellow. You might get those to work for you and they will do fine at normal line voltage coming out of the 230S. Have fun.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the tip, Don, but I just ordered some red and some green flashing LEDs from ebay.

I have plenty of connectors, resisters and wire and heat shrink so I can wire up a custom harness pretty easily. I splurged on some Engineer PA-09 crimpers a while back for a different project, so doing proper crimps on those impossibly tiny little crimps on the molex connectors (servo size connectors) is now possible.

Red

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-LED-3m...ss!35810!US!-1

Green

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-LED-3m...ss!35810!US!-1
Old 12-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

Went with a 1000mah battery which helped with the cg. Added the Blade fiberglass canopy with a Rakon boom support. I have noticed since making these changes I'm now hovering around 3/4 stick. I'm curious on how much weight this actually added. I have a completely stock 230 I'll weight to compare the two. Has anyone else notice this after adding upgrades/bling?
Stocks05 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just ordered a 10-pack of male/female XT30 connectors. Going to convert my 230s and all batteries for it to this much much much better connector type. Most users claim noticeably increased performance during more aggressive maneuvers, more stable/consistent at all times, and some even report slightly longer flight times. Can't wait to see what differences I pick up on

For anyone wondering, JST connectors are rated for 3 amps, and XT30 connectors are rated for 30 amps. and XT30 only weighs about a gram more than JST. Why Blade installed a 3 amp battery connector on a bird that draws more than 15 amps at almost all times besides hover is beyond me. The factory batteries alone even have a 24 amp continuous discharge rating, with no burst rate advertised.
To clarify, connector ratings are based on peak current before a voltage drop starts to occur. Higher current flow is very possible, but voltage may drop a very considerable amount as amperage increases
motoxxxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2017, 05:04 AM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think soldering connectors is about the only job that can be done here today - its wind, rain, sleet and snow here in S.E. England so no flying. I was hoping to get out today after being stuck in over Xmas. Another boring day watching repeats on the TV - moan over.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

recorded a video for those curious or having troubles

Blade 230s swashplate motion with factory settings (6 min 1 sec)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

I received mine today and took it out for the maiden flight in a light drizzle. I was pretty nervous and then it wanted to tip left on me. Weird, I thought the stability issue was a right tip.

I spooled it up and down a few times and it was almost dark so I just said screw it, letís do this. Popped it up and floated around the yard for a few minutes and it was great. Butter smooth, stable and felt huge compared to my k110. The blades sounded awesome.

I think it was drifting some so Iíll mess with trim and calibration tomorrow.

Iíll need to spend more time with the DXe that came with it, but my initial reaction was that I like my xk x6 better. Oh well, itís a rtf radio, I didnít expect too much and knew you couldnít program it without a cable and phone..

I can tell this is going to be a lot of fun.
HateTheDrake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lock it in servo neutral mode and make sure all servo arms are level. Then make sure swash is level, then save settings and power down. Next do the bubble level calibration from the addendum. Last do a trim flight. Then see how she does
HateTheDrake likes this.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
I just ordered a 10-pack of male/female XT30 connectors. Going to convert my 230s and all batteries for it to this much much much better connector type. Most users claim noticeably increased performance during more aggressive maneuvers, more stable/consistent at all times, and some even report slightly longer flight times. Can't wait to see what differences I pick up on
You will notice a slight difference toward the end of your flights using the better connectors. They don't hit a cliff, like with the jst. If you don't want to get the usual m/f split of connectors, in the future try buddyrc.com. They sell just female or male separate. XT30 Female Connector (5 pieces)

Old 12-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #196 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Don't fly too close to the sun!!

I think it was Icarus that did this and came unstuck but I had my first crash today and entirely my stupid fault. The sun was really bright and low today so I was flying with my back to the sun practicing reverse circuits. I got a bit out of shape and should have bailed out but tried to carry on. The result was that the heli flew into the sun and I couldn't see it. When I did it was very low but I thought I could power it out and climb. It just clipped the ground and tumbled with quite a thump. I thought that's it its going to be smashed to pieces. If my 180 hit the ground like that it would have been a frame up rebuild. I broke a tail rotor, bent the tail boom, broke the front of the frame, lost a head link and chipped a few main gear teeth, but most seriously completely mashed the canopy. I straightened the tail boom and glued the frame and had spares to replace the rest so the heli is flying again but rule No 1 BAIL OUT IF NOT SURE - DON'T PUSH IT AND LOSE IT.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

One thing that bugged me about the 230S is the dam JIS screws holding the tail boom. Pain in the butt even if you have the right JIS screwdriver. They always seemed to be working their way loose, resulting in a easily twist-able tail boom.

I got some 2mm x 12 mm cap screw bolts. I got the tiny little nuts to go with them, but couldn't use them as the holes were too close to the corners. Even still, the bolts threaded in to the plastic really tightly. Real tight. I don't think these will back out.

If they do show signs of backing out, I may do some micro dremel work to make room for the nuts on the other side.

Nice to be able to use my good 1.5 mm hex driver on them now.

motoxxxman likes this.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

I took it out to a field behind a nearby school for the first time when the weather cleared a bit. Man, it was awesome to have some room to move around and not worry about getting close to anything.

Was just a quick 5min flight then back home. Sort of lost orientation for a second when it was far out coming back towards me, but was generally fine.
net wurker likes this.
HateTheDrake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lots of fiddling and hovering today as per my post on trim flights. Still I learnt a lot about the heli and setting it up. I find it really easy to work with, especially the technique of centreing the servos using the elevator channel. For those that don't know, when in servo leveling mode all the servo horns should be horizontal (parallel with the skis). If one is slightly off momentarily put right aileron on and each servo will twitch in turn. When the "off" one twitches use the elevator to set it parallel. It only moves a tad each time you put elevator on. Once the servos are level you can then level the swash by adjusting the length of the pushrods.

I might be teaching you to suck eggs but its something I learnt today. Weather looks rubbish and windy for the rest of the week so we will see what flying can be done.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #200 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did a quick limited space backyard flight this morning at a temperature of about 4 degrees Fahrenheit. It flew great, a bit windy but the 230S seems to ride out wind gusts nicely. Battery life seemed much shorter than usual but I suspect that was due to the subfreezing temperatures. Needless to say the electronics and motors ran freezing cold. Not even the slightest hint of heating.
Desmond is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in