Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #201 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea, it was a heat wave today.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #202 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was a bit windy today but after being stuck indoors most of Xmas and the New Year I had to get out. I put three packs through the heli but it was windy and gusty so nothing more than poodling about. Interesting that some people find this heli good in the wind bt I find that the wind can catch it making it balloon up and be jerked around a bit. Worse wind forecast for tomorrow.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #203 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
Interesting that some people find this heli good in the wind bt I find that the wind can catch it making it balloon up and be jerked around a bit. Worse wind forecast for tomorrow.
I was thinking the same thing. Sunday's 1st flight in the field wasn't bad, but I could tell the wind was having an effect. It got more gusty and unpredictable later on in the yard when it was bobbing all about. Certainly, the k110 would have already been pushed over, but it's not immune as some allude to.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #204 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anything above 10-15mph and it will get bashed about, but itís pretty capable at higher head speeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
It was a bit windy today but after being stuck indoors most of Xmas and the New Year I had to get out. I put three packs through the heli but it was windy and gusty so nothing more than poodling about. Interesting that some people find this heli good in the wind bt I find that the wind can catch it making it balloon up and be jerked around a bit. Worse wind forecast for tomorrow.
Indeed. It's (the 230S ) is a relatively small helicopter and it will get bounced around quite a bit on gusty days. In order to "surf" the wind gusts you have to keep a close eye on the heli as well as what the wind is doing and keep a quick finger on the collective as one moment you will balloon upwards and the next couple seconds you'll dip downwards. However, compared to the fixed pitch helicopters I used to fly the 230S is far more reliable in handling both gusts and sustained winds. In the fixed pitch world I was at the mercy of the wind and flying in any sort of wind was more or less out of the question and almost guaranteed a crash or a runaway aircraft. In the collective pitch world wind is much more manageable.
Desmond is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #206 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
Indeed. It's (the 230S ) is a relatively small helicopter and it will get bounced around quite a bit on gusty days. In order to "surf" the wind gusts you have to keep a close eye on the heli as well as what the wind is doing and keep a quick finger on the collective as one moment you will balloon upwards and the next couple seconds you'll dip downwards. However, compared to the fixed pitch helicopters I used to fly the 230S is far more reliable in handling both gusts and sustained winds. In the fixed pitch world I was at the mercy of the wind and flying in any sort of wind was more or less out of the question and almost guaranteed a crash or a runaway aircraft. In the collective pitch world wind is much more manageable.
Yes I totally agree that a CP heli is much more stable in the wind than a fixed pitch. I think the constant rotor speed is the key and with small variations in pitch the affect is almost instant with no real affect on the momentum of the disc. In a fixed pitch the accelerating and decelerating of the disc makes the effective "collective" changes much more gradual.

A word of warning to people flying this size of heli in the wind. Keep yourself up wind of the heli. I say this because a couple of years ago flying the smaller 130X up wind of me it got blown back and hit me on the top of the arm. I think I hit TH about 1/2 second before it hit me but I had a bruise on my arm like I'd been hit by a baseball bat and the heli was undamaged. I'd hate to get a rotor strike off this 230.
Desmond and HateTheDrake like this.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #207 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gens Ace 1300mah and Deans Plugs

Here's what I did to my 230s tonight. I just got 2 Gens Ace 1300mah lipo's with Deans. I cut the stock 230s night y adapter jst for power to the ESC plugs off, but left it jst to the led's. I soldered on the Deans to the Y adapter and heat shrinked it. So, since I have the Micro Heli Speed fuselage and led's, the jst on the power side was causing LVC to occur. Also, I had to unscrew the canopy mounts a bit because the 1300ma needed a little clearance. I did a center of gravity hand held test and get this, it is still tail heavy. However, a full 5 minute test hover in the garage in beginner, throttle control mode it hovered around beautifully with minimal corrections and no LVC occurance. I have not yet tested with my nano tech 950's to see if maybe they were the problem but I doubt it because they both flew my 200srx/s fine for 6 minutes. But then again its lighter so I will find that out tomorrow. My Dad is in the hospital, had hernia repair, and this EC-135 was there. A 13 year old boy was critical with the FLU and they were rush flying him to New Orleans Oshners hospital. I got to talk briefly with the pilot. He said it does not like cross winds with the Fenestron tail, which I love the looks and sound of. We had some crazy wind and a very small heli pad, so just after he hovered up, he leaped it straight up with a quickness and off they went to save the kids life. Man that helicopter is nice. It spooled up to flight idle in under 2 minutes a couple minutes more and off they went. Anyway, so far so good with my power upgrade. I really want to weigh it next. Here are the pictures of the 230s and the EC-135. I plan on taking some flight pics if I can get someone to do it. I'm always doing it by myself. Hey Don, I put the EC-135 pics especially for you, when you duplicate this in a 450 size, I want it, Lol. Just kidding, You rock. Really though a 450 shaft driven fenestron with tons of power and lights EC-135. I must be dreaming.
Lol Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_201350 (1).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	733396   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_201328.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	733397   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_111653.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	733398   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_113343.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	733399  
Old 01-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #208 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lookin good!
You should have plenty of room to slide the battery a good amount forward though, even with an aftermarket canopy. That should solve most or all of the CG issue
motoxxxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #209 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Micro Heli Fuse, 1300mah, Deans, led's

Here are the finished pics by the Christmas tree and on the helipad I made a few years ago out of a crawfish tray. The new 1300's are wider and I zip tied the wires to help. I have the MH canopy fitting a lot better now after some fiddling. No LVC occurrence during garage 5 minute test hover, so I'm hoping the Deans solved that. I hope to field fly tomorrow to see how she does as far as balance and flight time. I will let you guys know how it goes. Just wish it had no bank angle limits while in self leveling swash mode because I certainly can't risk flying it in non self leveling. I'm just not good enough for that. I think my next heli is gonna get an Ikon2 just for that very reason. Anyways, wish me luck and Happy New Year Flying. Thanks to everyone on here for the help. This is the best site and hobby a person could ask for and these kid just play on their phones, Really, wished I was 16 again, I would definitely fly helicopters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	230s Speed Fuse.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	733405   Click image for larger version

Name:	230s 1300mah, Deans.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	733406  
HateTheDrake likes this.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:12 AM   #210 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I went out this morning intending to fly 3 packs but after the first two I decided to stop as it was too windy and gusty. I didn't want to crash. I feel this heli can be a little twitchy in the wind and turning down wind it can gain a lot of speed but you need to feed in some collective to stop it losing height. I think straight wind is ok but gusts upset it. When I got home I did a hover flight to discharge my last battery and putting it on the battery checker it was interesting that it was as discharged as the other two that did full flights with some mild aerobatics. So I recon that there is not much difference in battery load between hovering and mild sport flying.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #211 (permalink)
Registered Users

I now have the Gens Ace 1300mah lipo's along with Deans plugs. It has been so cold and windy that I've not yet been able to test fly it other than in the garage hovering to see if the jst's were causing LVC to occur. It did fine so I believe that issue is solved. I would like to do a trim flight, but would have to re bind to the LPD6 SRX stock transmitter and it will go into trim flight. Is there a way to do the trim flight with the Dx6i? Hope to fly soon. Also, I want to upgrade to Lynx pinion and MH main gear. I'm not sure on regular or auto gear. I thought the auto would give some crash damage reduction, but no one seems to have tested it with a report. Also, my 200srx sounded way better and ran smoother with the MH standard gear. Now, I wonder if after some test flights, would it fly the MH 3 blade head with any of the stock size blades, ie night, carbon fiber, stock plastics. That would be awesome. I think the tail would hold for sport flying. I just don't want to create issues by trying to make it cool, such as heat, burning up motors, etc. I'm gonna see how she does a bit first. Keep 'em Flyin!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a TON of difference between the LP6DSM and an actual computer radio like the DX6i. You just need to make sure you have the full travel configured on the radio so you can get to the corners you need to enter the programming modes. I think I saw a post about it way back in the day. But if I remember correctly just configure your DR to 100% you probably have it less on the DX6i to make the heli a bit more nimble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdrumfish View Post
I now have the Gens Ace 1300mah lipo's along with Deans plugs. It has been so cold and windy that I've not yet been able to test fly it other than in the garage hovering to see if the jst's were causing LVC to occur. It did fine so I believe that issue is solved. I would like to do a trim flight, but would have to re bind to the LPD6 SRX stock transmitter and it will go into trim flight. Is there a way to do the trim flight with the Dx6i? Hope to fly soon. Also, I want to upgrade to Lynx pinion and MH main gear. I'm not sure on regular or auto gear. I thought the auto would give some crash damage reduction, but no one seems to have tested it with a report. Also, my 200srx sounded way better and ran smoother with the MH standard gear. Now, I wonder if after some test flights, would it fly the MH 3 blade head with any of the stock size blades, ie night, carbon fiber, stock plastics. That would be awesome. I think the tail would hold for sport flying. I just don't want to create issues by trying to make it cool, such as heat, burning up motors, etc. I'm gonna see how she does a bit first. Keep 'em Flyin!
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #213 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a post about not being able to get into trim flight mode. Brian said the rate needs to be above 70 for it to work. Sure enough that was true. So just flick it into high rates and it'll work, assuming you have DR set above 70 for the high rate
Old 01-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #214 (permalink)
Registered Users

I decided to give a night flight and hover around test and it flew fine. No trim flight necessary. After 4 minutes on the timer, I was hovering in front of me and LVC occurred. I did notice the tail motor sounded different, not bad though. It actually sounded better, like a deeper rather than the whiny sound. So now what? Tail held perfect in a couple turns. Oh, should I use some larger wire to the ESC. I just cut the jst off and soldered on the Deans. This is a brand new main and ESC I might add, also the led set they sent is brand new. Also just got new 1300mah lipo's with Deans. The tail motor has maybe 50 flights. I will unplug the leds tomorrow and test hover. I'm willing to bet this brand new ESC is causing it. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #215 (permalink)
Registered Users

battery going bad?
Old 01-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #216 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, brand new Gens Ace 1300mah's with Deans. Noticed the MH CF tail blade has one fin real loose. So I got 2 of the 1300's. Strapped on the other one and put a stock tail blade and it hovered perfect and did full collective and yanked it around a bit for the full 6 minutes on the timer and it did not go into LVC. Now I need to try it with the other Gens Ace and try it. I hope its not a brand new battery faulting. Tomorrow I'll glue the MH tail blade fin and see. Its not broke but you feel a little flimsyness on it. It did touch the driveway a little once. Man I hope to figure this out.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #217 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I would not change the wire. It's plenty large enough for the current draw but one thing I would look at is the temperatures you are flying in right now. I just looked at the local temps and you are in and around freezing so I would not be surprised at the short flight but when you said that your second battery did much better and didn't hit low voltage, I would charge your batteries back up for a couple of flights tomorrow with the stock tail rotor. It could be that the banged up blade might have been creating a bit of extra draw, especially if it was flexing or splitting open during operation. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #218 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did the test hover in the garage last night after the power connector upgrade for about 3 minutes and now I think that I forgot to recharge it but can not remember, which may be exactly why it went to LVC after 4 minutes hovering around. I guess that means 6 minutes is max flying time. The second pack flew 6 min fine. Now I hope I did not ruin a brand new pack. Dam Dam Dam. I also forgot to test the cells before and after.
Crap, Hopefully lesson learned. That pack is still charging on the stock charger. I'm gonna time the other, that should tell me a little something. Its been over an hour. Also, is it possible these packs need a cycle or two before they peak? I'll test more tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #219 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don, thanks and you are right on. I will definitely take your advise and leave the wire, especially since it did fine with the second pack. I'm now pretty sure its my fault as I failed to re charge that first pack after garage testing. I'm gonna put some crazy glue on all three fins, both sides of the MH CF tail blade and let it dry. Like you said, use the stocker for testing, and later test the CF one. I'm hoping it will be fine and all will go well. How are you doing on the scale side. The scale section has not been all that active with new builds. I hope people who were interested in helicopters are not now drone junkies because their is no comparison in my book. Wow, that first pack just finished, hope its OK. Thanks for the help and hope to see some more of your helis. Scott
Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #220 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

As long as you don't go below LVC every single time, once won't kill it. I have taken 5A packs very low by accident and they are still going strong with over a hundred charge cycles, once happened over a year ago and once recently but they are still solid bricks. Don't break into a sweat over it. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in