Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree242Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #241 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stock says Ďbalance chargerí, but what it does in reality could be two different things. It takes about 1-1.25hr from 3.75 to 4.20.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/3-cell-...--08a-eflc3105

Though I agree on not borking the new packs with the default charger. Have to make a decision on that tp610c soon...

But back on what we actually did with the 230, Iíve been hitting more nearby fields and itís been great. Am taking it easier after it got a bit loose the other day. Am about to go up to the school again for a quick puttering around.

Unfortunately all my city-operated parks do not allow flying. I figured if they were aware enough to add that to their rules thereís a decent chance the PD would also know. I did the FAA crap yesterday despite my feelings on it and printed some tiny labels with my contact and UAS info... I canít justify an ama membership at this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HateTheDrake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #242 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateTheDrake View Post
Have to make a decision on that tp610c soon...
In the mean time, you could pick up one of those battery medics, and use the default charger to charge and then balance the packs after you charge them up.

I have one, and it does a good job of balancing the cells to within about .02v of each other.

I recommend getting one either way, so you can use it to discharge batteries, and not have that extra wear-and-tear step to do on your good charger.
HateTheDrake likes this.
net wurker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #243 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks I'll definitely check that out. Good to have a discharge tool that doesn't take up the charger.

Well, the school field was a bit gusty, I got too high and couldn't bring it back. After a few attempts and some rudder to check my orientation I had to hit TH from 30+ ft. Was at least 100+ ft away from any structure, but that was still frustrating.... At least It seems fine and landed on the skids.

Did some lower stuff in iu1 and called it a day.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #244 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm only slightly skeptical of this Battery Medic thing...

The way it is described...it has the ability to correct cell imbalances?

How? By taking voltage from one cell and transferring it to another? I'd sure like to know how it can do that...

If it has the ability to discharge without being connected to a charger discharge circuit...where does that battery power go?

Is this Battery Medic different from what I have?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Cell-Met...MAAOSwrnNXPsFX
Old 01-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #245 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
I'm only slightly skeptical of this Battery Medic thing...

The way it is described...it has the ability to correct cell imbalances?

How? By taking voltage from one cell and transferring it to another? I'd sure like to know how it can do that...

If it has the ability to discharge without being connected to a charger discharge circuit...where does that battery power go?

Is this Battery Medic different from what I have?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Cell-Met...MAAOSwrnNXPsFX
The one I have is pretty much identical in appearance to the one you have jonjet. Mine has the balance feature, it's pretty basic, all it does is discharge the highest measured cell until the voltage readings match. It's very slow, internal resistor, energy dispersed as heat.

To activate it you hold down the CELL button for a second or two. There must be a difference between cells of more than 0.01v for it to activate.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #246 (permalink)
Registered Users

I gave it a quick try...

Evidently My unit does not have a balance circuit - no worries...

My HiTec X1 Pro chargers (4) take care of balance/discharge just fine
Old 01-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #247 (permalink)
Registered Users

Indeed, you're not missing out......... the voltage checkers are great for just that, checking voltage. I use mine all the time, pretty much everyday. However I never used it for balancing cells and probably never will.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #248 (permalink)
Registered Users

All it can do is bring all the cells down to the lowest read cell. Don't see how it can do much else. We are just talking a $10 device here.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #249 (permalink)
Registered Users

I took the heli out and flew three packs through it again today but unfortunately another windy and gusty day where I fly. I do find this heli a little prone to wind and I can see how "Hate the Drake" got rather too high as they can quickly get caught and balloon up. Flying in IU2 I can put some neg pitch in to stop this but you have to be prepared to catch it as it comes down as it can suddenly fall quite quickly. Its not an easy bird to keep at a constant height in the wind.

Today is a very grey day and not very bright light. I find with my 60 year old eyes that it is not easy to see the orientation of this heli if it gets too far away, so I have to keep it close. Its sometimes difficult to see whether the tail is pointing in or out and whether the heli is banking and sliding one way or other. The green canopy is particularly bad. I am thinking about getting a pair of the amber tinted shooting glasses to see if that helps.

As for these little battery testers mine will give cell voltages, balance cells to a set level and also discharge to a set level, so quite useful and leaves the charger free to do charging.
HateTheDrake and mos2k like this.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #250 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
I find with my 60 year old eyes that it is not easy to see the orientation of this heli if it gets too far away, so I have to keep it close. Its sometimes difficult to see whether the tail is pointing in or out and whether the heli is banking and sliding one way or other.
I painted my tail fin blaze orange, that helped me see the orientation much better. You can paint the tail boom too. And you can buy orange tail rotors. All will help visibility for tail position.

For orientation on whether you're looking at the top or bottom of the disc, an option there too is to paint the tops of the blades one color and the bottoms of the blades another color. Just be sure to 1) scuff the blades up with some 300 grit sandpaper so it actually sticks, 2) double check blade balance after the paint dries
HateTheDrake likes this.
motoxxxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #251 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Here's what I did today! FLY!

Well, it was dead calm this evening so I took a few pictures and went for a test flight, at home in the street. I hate flying here because right when I want to fly the street lights come on. I pretty much beat them today though. Also, I like to lower collective in the turns and get it to loose altitude while in FFF and give just enough rudder to fly realistically. I actually flew real good with zero wind. It did just what I asked. I flew the time out to 6 minutes with no problems with the 1300's. I could tell the Deans and new batteries gave it power when needed. I got straight on toward me and when it got close, did a full reverse and full collective. The tail held great and was able to turn that in another circuit . It flies really sport scale with the added weight and I could do even better if it had more aileron. Seem to limit that the most. I tried advanced with the 200srx/s and was like really, no way for me. It got out of my control skills in like 5 seconds. Anyway, here's how shes looking for night flights with no LVC occurrences since upgrade, No crashes, I'm stoked. I made this led helipad about 5 years ago out of spare junk and a crawfish tray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all done up 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	734193   Click image for larger version

Name:	all done up 3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	734194   Click image for larger version

Name:	all done up 4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	734195  
Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #252 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, Good points on iu2 Allan to Pull it down out of the gusts. It happens so fast that after 2-3 attempts it's on its way out and getting small.

Scott: those night pics are awesome.

I got 4 new batteries in today and can't wait to test them out. I really can't wait until this blasted daylight savings time is out of the way.:.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #253 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I really can't wait until this blasted daylight savings time is out of the way.:.
Yeah I can't wait to actually have some daylight left after I get out of work
HateTheDrake likes this.
motoxxxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #254 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. When mine was in pod and boom, I flew it more. Now its in fuselage with bigger lipos and seems more like the constraints of a real helicopter, ie, pre-flight, maintenance, wind, nerves, ect. etc.,fly,fly.lol,lol.
I want some close ups in flight at dusk pics. I still cant fly without stability on, but not trying either, too much risk. My next flybarless unit???, will allow self level while not limiting bank angles. Nonetheless, she flies pretty darn good to be a heavier semi-scale speed fuse lit up sport flyer. Hope you guys get some flights in.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #255 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice looking pictures of the night flying configuration. I'm like you in that I like to fly the model realistically. I've always been biased to scale type models and flying ever since I started with model aircraft in the late 60's. I showed my wife a You Tube video of an out and out 3D flier and she thought the model looked like a demented dragon fly. Well there's my reason not to master 3D!!! I like to do smooth flying and nice circuits although today I was out trying to master upright reverse flying and circuits. I'm getting there. I don't know about daylight saving but today was really still and dark here so not bad flying conditions but there was a fine drizzle in the air. As the Scots would say - a dreich day.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #256 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah, Good points on iu2 Allan to Pull it down out of the gusts. It happens so fast that after 2-3 attempts it's on its way out and getting small.

Scott: those night pics are awesome.

I got 4 new batteries in today and can't wait to test them out. I really can't wait until this blasted daylight savings time is out of the way.:.
What brand and size?
You guys are making drool
HateTheDrake likes this.
mikem65d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #257 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdrumfish View Post
Well, it was dead calm this evening so I took a few pictures and went for a test flight, at home in the street. I hate flying here because right when I want to fly the street lights come on. I pretty much beat them today though. Also, I like to lower collective in the turns and get it to loose altitude while in FFF and give just enough rudder to fly realistically. I actually flew real good with zero wind. It did just what I asked. I flew the time out to 6 minutes with no problems with the 1300's. I could tell the Deans and new batteries gave it power when needed. I got straight on toward me and when it got close, did a full reverse and full collective. The tail held great and was able to turn that in another circuit . It flies really sport scale with the added weight and I could do even better if it had more aileron. Seem to limit that the most. I tried advanced with the 200srx/s and was like really, no way for me. It got out of my control skills in like 5 seconds. Anyway, here's how shes looking for night flights with no LVC occurrences since upgrade, No crashes, I'm stoked. I made this led helipad about 5 years ago out of spare junk and a crawfish tray
Now i definately want this one.....nice
mikem65d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #258 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem65d View Post
What brand and size?

You guys are making drool

Admiral 1000mah, 30c from MotionRC. I believe this is their house brand which Iíve seen good reviews on, albeit limited. Theyíre a different shape, but I think itís fine. Basically flat/wide on one side and tall/narrow on the other vs the square shape of eflight.

I know, jst and not deans/ec3/etc... Not going to jack around with that until I need to. (but Iím honestly glad that worked for you Scottdrumfish!!)

Now if only motionrc can get some k110 spare parts they would get another order from me!

https://www.motionrc.com/products/ad...-battery-w-jst
Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #259 (permalink)
Registered Users

Drake, how do you like the XK 110?

I just ordered one of those from TomTop.....a trainer for my trainer. I have read that it is like THE tiny copter to get.
HateTheDrake likes this.
net wurker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #260 (permalink)
Registered Users

The jst's were ok until I added the lights and fuselage. One drew power and the other added weight and torque. This is when the LVC started. The Deans solved that and I went for the 1300mah battery for COG and Flight time. So yeah, for me, she's a great sport scale flyer. But, in the right hands would do mild 3d as is, just motors and wear parts would go out quicker.
HateTheDrake likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in