Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree232Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #261 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
Drake, how do you like the XK 110?

I just ordered one of those from TomTop.....a trainer for my trainer. I have read that it is like THE tiny copter to get.

Thatís the impression I got last year and itís been great, I really like it. Iím sure it will feel so under powered when I get it running. Iíve been on the sim all this week at night, but would rather practice IRL first with the xk.
HateTheDrake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2018, 11:41 PM   #262 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never used an XK, but I do love my nano cps. I finally got good enough with orientations in the sim that I now do all my hover/orientation/lazy8 training with the Nano CPS in 3d mode in high rates with the MMW main motor Soon I'll be able to progress back to the 230s without ever touching stability mode again. It definitely took me a while to break the habits picked up from flying the 230s only in stability for over a month.
HateTheDrake likes this.
motoxxxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #263 (permalink)
Registered Users

WHEW! What a rush! Just flew my 230s again for the first time in 2-3 months. And I never once touched stability mode. It's also the first time I flew it in Agility mode for more than 3 seconds. Man my heart was pounding for the first minute or so! But also Wow, my sim practice and training on the nano CPS has made this bird so incredibly easy to fly. And though it's small by comparison to majority of heli's out there, yup it felt monstrous compared to my CPS that I've gotten quite accustomed to lately. The sound of the tail rotor still cracks me up too. Also, zero crashes. One close call with a tree and once close call with a snow mound, but I resisted the urge to use the panic button and powered out of it with fully successful manual recovery. That alone felt great. Goal #1 has officially been achieved
Old 01-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #264 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
WHEW! What a rush! Just flew my 230s again for the first time in 2-3 months. And I never once touched stability mode. It's also the first time I flew it in Agility mode for more than 3 seconds. Man my heart was pounding for the first minute or so! But also Wow, my sim practice and training on the nano CPS has made this bird so incredibly easy to fly. And though it's small by comparison to majority of heli's out there, yup it felt monstrous compared to my CPS that I've gotten quite accustomed to lately. The sound of the tail rotor still cracks me up too. Also, zero crashes. One close call with a tree and once close call with a snow mound, but I resisted the urge to use the panic button and powered out of it with fully successful manual recovery. That alone felt great. Goal #1 has officially been achieved
I congratulate you sir that's a major achievement. That's the good thing about learning on a nano class heli, they're so nimble and squirely that the bigger stuff is easy in comparison and yes, the 230 does look huge when you've been flying a nano.

I bet you felt like your heart was literally gonna explode out of you're chest eh?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #265 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you
Yup lol, it felt like my hands were twitching to the beat of my heart from the thumping resonating through my whole body. Only lasted a minute or two though. As soon as I realized how easy it was to fly compared to the nano, my nerves settled right down and I was completely at peace in my own little smiley world
Old 01-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #266 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
WHEW! What a rush! Just flew my 230s again for the first time in 2-3 months. And I never once touched stability mode. It's also the first time I flew it in Agility mode for more than 3 seconds. Man my heart was pounding for the first minute or so!
Awesome! I didn't know you hadn't flown it in awhile, but noticed you said snow... I know what you mean about heart pounding. Am about to go for a quick one myself!
motoxxxman likes this.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #267 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah my neck of the woods has been either too windy or way too cold for my liking every time I had free daylight for the last few months. As in single digit temps, or even negatives, in Fahrenheit. Not my cup of tea for flying lol. Today it's a balmy mid 40's
Old 01-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #268 (permalink)
Registered Users

Balmy mid 40's, that almost UK temps. I'm glad you had a good session with the 230. its a good feeling to convert the sim sessions to reality.. No flying for me today I got dragged into London for a drinking session with old work colleagues.
HateTheDrake and motoxxxman like this.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #269 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail re wire and mod fuse

I had to re wire the tail last night and ran the wires on the outside of the boom and shorten the micro heli tail portion of the fuse so it doesn't block tail rotor air flow. The chaffed wires burnt the esc. I have a spare, so did all the work, flies right, sounds better as far as the screaming tail, but the tail motor was real hot. Double checked the tail blade, ok. The 1300's create a lot of work for the tail motor. Now it gets hot, do I also need a new tail motor? It turns by hand like new, It sounds and flies like new. I know it should not be getting this hot. Now I need a swash plate before more testing. The long link pops right off, guess it wears the quickest. If it wont handle the fuse with the 950's, the tail motor must be on its way out. Oh well, I'll save the 1300's for another heli I guess. My advise is leave em butt stock and give em hell. Any weight just overdrives electronics and burns them up. Man it is looking good though. Just want it to fly good too, which it was. More testing after new swash and see whats up with the tail motor.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:58 AM   #270 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am wondering if the short in the wiring as caused some issue in the tail motor. I had a couple of motors go in my 180, they started getting hot and then started cutting out. Obviously if the heli is heavier then it needs more collective pitch to lift and consequently more tail rotor to stop the body rotation but I can't see there being much more load on the tail motor. If the main motor is ok then the tail should be good. Can you hear it screaming all the time?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 PM   #271 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my nav lights sussed out. I went with drone strobes. Self contained...no wiring. Just heavy-duty velcro to stick 'em on the sides.

Last edited by net wurker; 01-13-2018 at 12:41 AM..
net wurker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #272 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a good looking heli and nice relaxed flying. It looks a great area to fly at.

I went to my local field today but it was a little breezy this morning. I'm still perfecting the reverse upright circuits but I was having difficulty with the LVC dropping in. After it happened I landed and pulled the plug then re-connected it and the heli flew ok to the end of the time. I think it might be the batteries getting a little old or cold. The heli trips into LVC when I demand a bit more power. They are the Zippy 1000mAh
Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #273 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
It looks a great area to fly at.
Thanks. That's my back yard. I used to think it was gigantic, until I got this 230S. Now it seems really small all of the sudden.

For the LVC thing, do you have any other batteries to try? Around here, the Zippys don't seem to be well liked.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #274 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed, the lights look cool. I was about to say the same about your yard that it looks huge!!! I know what you mean, the 230s can zip around and cover the area quickly. Even one of the places I go to that's about the size of 4x soccer fields is easy to reach the edges in a few seconds.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #275 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a mix of Zippy's and Turnigy batteries. The Turnigy and Zippy's look suspiciously like the same battery. Checking evil bay it seems the most expensive battery is the Gens Ace at about 2 1/2 times the cost of a Zippy but I used them in my 180 and they gave no trouble at all.

What are people's recommendations for batteries?
Old 01-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #276 (permalink)
Registered Users

Of all the brands I've used, Zippy has been the only one that's failed me in the air. I've also had a brand new zippy pack arrive with a dead cell. Obviously I won't use them anymore.

For the 230 I use Turnigy nano 950mah 25-50C & Overlander 900mah 35-65C. Both good packs, never had a single LVC issue, even flying hard on the coldest of days. The turnigy are cheaper, they can be had @ hobbyking. The Overlander are my preffered choice as they have a little extra kick but they do cost a little more.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #277 (permalink)
Registered Users

Besides the original stock battery, I'm using a Mojo Racing aka Giant Power 1000mah 35c (70c burst), and a Lectron Pro 950mah 30c (60c burst).

Are you still using the stock JST connectors? That could be part of the problem too. Most of us are upgrading the battery connectors to XT30 or EC3. The stock connector is only rated for 3 amps before voltage drop starts to occur, and our heli's easily run 5-20 amps pretty constantly with 25+ in bursts during heavy 3d or pitch pumping. Might want to consider upgrading the connectors as that alone can solve a lot of problems
Old 01-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #278 (permalink)
Registered Users

net wurker,
My yard used to seem pretty huge too until I got my 230s. Then it got a whole lot smaller, and the trees got a whole lot bigger lol.
Then I got a Nano CPS, and the yard seems bigger than ever again (trees still seem larger than normal though ). Until the 230s comes back out of course.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #279 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep. I recently ordered an XK K110 rtf. That should open up the yard a little.

I never had any luck trying to fly the V911 outside, wind was always a factor.
HateTheDrake likes this.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #280 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
B

Are you still using the stock JST connectors? That could be part of the problem too. Most of us are upgrading the battery connectors to XT30 or EC3. The stock connector is only rated for 3 amps before voltage drop starts to occur, and our heli's easily run 5-20 amps pretty constantly with 25+ in bursts during heavy 3d or pitch pumping. Might want to consider upgrading the connectors as that alone can solve a lot of problems
I use EC3 connectors. I am going to try some other batteries I bought with the heli to see if some are better than others. I've got eight batteries so I don't really want to by new ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in