Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree248Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2018, 05:22 AM   #301 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
well, I'd already replaced my stock tail rotor 5 times in only about 20 flights. one broke mid-air from a ghost or something.
Iíve gone through many tail rotors also, first on my 200srx, now on my 230s. On the 230s I had 2 fail in flight, both lost one blade (I saw something come off the heli), but I had control and it flew and landed ok with just 2 blades. I think in both cases the rotors may have had some damage earlier in hard landings.
jimflyrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #302 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I have lost two blades in about 100 flights on two machines. Both were caused by the tail blade hitting hard objects. One, asphalt, two, a large tree branch. The broken one from contact with asphalt was as a result of a very hard landing. The tree branch was from bad depth perception. I do see how they can be seen as delicate but my reality says that if you hit an object with a tail rotor, there will be something giving way. For those of you that have not advanced above a 450 size machine in size, wait until you dust the ground with a set of blades from a triple blade 800 tail. That's serious coin down the drain. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 12:36 AM   #303 (permalink)
Registered Users

What did I do with my 230s today?
Practiced inverted hover, slow inverted flight, flips, and rolls.
But most importantly, I had quite a gnarly medium speed crash into pavement that had about 1" of snow, ending in a 1-2 second dreadful death flop.

Cause of the crash: It started to get away from me at an awkward orientation and angle, so I held the panic button then held cyclic (left aileron) while still holding panic to bring it back slowly so I could regain orientation. When I let go of the panic button I increased collective a bit and forgot to let go of cyclic and it rolled HARD left slamming straight down into the ground.

Damage done? Considerable bend in the tail boom to the point where it actually kinked it, chipped a bunch of the orange spraypaint off the Rakon CF tail fin (I painted it for better visibility), medium sized single crack in factory canopy, and scratched the tips of the orange plastic main blades pretty badly.
Solution? pick it up, bend the tail boom straight again (luckily it didn't split at the kink), do a lengthy lookover for any other damage, and and I was right back in the air again.

To note: Not only am I incredibly suprised at how little damage it did, but it still flew like brand spanking new after. It also didn't phase the MH CF tail rotor one bit.

Once I'd used all my batteries and headed home, I: taped the canopy with packaging tape (can't even tell it's cracked now), double checked tail boom straightness and left it alone, tightened the tail fin screws (it was a hair loose), took a razor blade to the scratches on the main blades to smooth them back out, checked blade balance to find they were still nearly perfect, and double checked every single nut, bolts, screw, pin, link, gear, everything, for proper tightness and adjustment. Didn't need to alter anything besides the tail fin screws.

I'm satisfied
HateTheDrake likes this.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #304 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you dodged a bullet with that crash. Hitting the ground under power usually means a chipped main gear. I think the sideways crash also saved a direct hit on the canopy. If all else fails I have now learnt to hit TH before the heli hits the ground - its saved me $$$.

This heli with its electric tail simplicity does allow you to get away with a lot. A bent tail boom on a 180 means a damaged tail drive and probably a torque tube. I cover the inside of the canopy's with packing tape as it saves them a lot. Perhaps you can buy a drill that is a good fit in the tail boom to push it through and pull out the kink.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #305 (permalink)
Registered Users

It definitely sounds like you got away from that crash in general good shape. Better than mine minus the tail bend.
HateTheDrake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #306 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
Sounds like you dodged a bullet with that crash. Hitting the ground under power usually means a chipped main gear. I think the sideways crash also saved a direct hit on the canopy. If all else fails I have now learnt to hit TH before the heli hits the ground - its saved me $$$.

This heli with its electric tail simplicity does allow you to get away with a lot. A bent tail boom on a 180 means a damaged tail drive and probably a torque tube. I cover the inside of the canopy's with packing tape as it saves them a lot. Perhaps you can buy a drill that is a good fit in the tail boom to push it through and pull out the kink.
Totally hear you there.
After that crash I did coat the inside with packaging tape, and plan to continue doing that from here on out even when new. It really does save them from a lot of destruction. I still don't understand why nobody makes lexan canopies. My Rustler stadium truck gets slammed constantly, and the body is nearly indestructible. Heck, the body helps reinforce the chassis, and absorbs an awful lot of inverted impacts which in turns saves a lot of damage to the chassis.

I'm not worried about the kink in the boom. I already bought a new stock boom, and will continue to wait to install the CF I already have as well until I'm a more confident flier. I'm lucky to have a LHS 5 mins away that stocks an awful lot for both my heli's. I'm a very regular customer there haha
HateTheDrake likes this.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #307 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateTheDrake View Post
It definitely sounds like you got away from that crash in general good shape. Better than mine minus the tail bend.
Yessiree! I was quite shocked at how little damage there was. I feared for the worst; shattered chassis, bent main shaft, damaged gears, dented servos, bent link arms, broken cf tail rotor, broken landing gear, cracked head parts, the works. The canopy mounts never even touched the ground even during the death flop. I think the tail boom and main blades too the majority of the hit, keeping the rest of the heli from actually touching the ground. And the dampers were probably what saved the head parts from getting damaged. Hopefully it never happens again as I continue to improve my flight and bailout skills.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #308 (permalink)
Registered Users

I definitely agree about lexan canopy's. Many years ago I raced 1 1/12 scale electric cars and an advert was someone literally jumping up and down on a lexan body without any damage. I guess its HH's way of ensuring a steady income because these canopy's are as fragile as egg shells. I am also surprised no one makes an indestructible canopy.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #309 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default first hover flight after rebuild

I rebuilt a crashed 230s that i bought off ebay. replaced: frame, main gear, tail boom, tail rotor, main rotor blades, rotor head linkages, tail fin and blade grips. Had major vibrations on spool up so i loosened the main blade grips a little more and that smoothed out the rotation. The 230s hovered smoothly and rock steady. This is a nice size heli for the novice, and it was nice to see it fly. I have the nano cps, 130s and a 230s with the Spektrum DX6. I, am a happy camper! Gonna get some practice in on the Realflight G6.5 sim, and then a flight or two on the nano.
HateTheDrake and motoxxxman like this.
Riceman718 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 AM   #310 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to hear Riceman. I think if you want basic real life practice with the 230's stick to stability mode for a while. It will be about the easiest heli to learn basic flying and circuits in front of you.

I bought two Gens Ace batteries over the weekend and tried them today. They are much better than the Zippy batteries I had. They come with heavier wires and connectors. I had to fit EC3 connectors for my heli. They seem to give me a bit more head speed and cyclic response. They are expensive batteries but I think I will stick with them.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #311 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 230s is back airborne. I finally got into advanced modes with the Dx6i,Duh, my fault. No changes required and only performed a trim flight. The Lynx 12T pinion, main gear, alu. motor mount, MH swash, and Rakon stainless feathering shaft all made noticeable differences. Drive train smooth and quiet, rotor no vibrations, and tail motor much quieter with 950mah(less weight and torque) and some of the rear fuse trimmed to allow max air flow to the MH CF tail blade.It also loves the CF mains, they fly and sound great. Thanks to all who participate in helping other heli guys. Now to get a chance to hit the field and actually fly her. Dilly Dilly
motoxxxman likes this.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #312 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdrumfish View Post
... Dilly Dilly
Are you quoting Lavender's Blue from Cinderella, the Bud Light commercials, or the dictionary defined meaning? lol.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #313 (permalink)
Registered Users

No Dilly Dilly here today. Wind and rain and busy tomorrow unfortunately.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #314 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well despite being busy I managed to escape for three flights today. I am practicing reverse upright circuits. inverted tail in hovering and tick tocs. I can do all this on the sim quite well but it just isn't the same in RL. Apart from the fear of crashing I think the heli needs finer control as it doesn't follow a straight or predicted course like in the sim. Perhaps I will programme some weather into my sim.

On the last flight I heard a change in rotor sound so I cut back to stability mode and came in for a landing. On finals the little ball link came off the blade grip but fortunately I landed quickly and the heli stayed upright. I will need to change the blade grip as its cracked across the screw hole. Not sure if that is previous crash damage, which was about 30 flights ago or normal wear and tear. Something for you guys to keep a check on.
motoxxxman likes this.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #315 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's probably been a problem for a while and you just developed the habit of flying around the issue. Once repaired it should be pretty rock solid, aside from wind gust influence. On zero wind days, mine flies rock solid, almost seeming fake like a poor sim lol. When I get drift and fluctuations, it's almost always an IDtenT error, user error, ID10T lol
Old 01-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #316 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was a nice flying day here today and I managed to get another three packs in. I screwed the ball link back into the blade grip with some super glue on the thread and it seems to have held just fine. I've got a few spare plastic blade grips to use if necessary. I am wondering if this link worked loose on start up because the ESC does not have a very progressive start and rather jerks the helicopter on initial rotor turn. Is there anyway to soften the start on this ESC?

I am making good progress with reverse circuits even doing two consecutive ones today. As said in still conditions this helicopter is rock steady in the air and good to practice super still hovering and also flipping almost on its axis.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #317 (permalink)
Registered Users

I highly doubt the jerky startup had anything to do with it. My guess is it fractured from hitting a tree branch or something at some point. Definitely replace the grips as soon as you can. If it falls apart mid flight you won't exactly be jumping for joy lol.

If you do want it to startup softer, the only thing you really can do is start in stability mode and move the stick up very slowly until some rpms are reached, then do whatever from there
Old 01-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #318 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no adjustment you can make to the ESCís startup. If you use a normal throttle curve then you might find a small reduction in initial startup torque, compared to a straight ramp to idle up curves when TH is switched off, but not much tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #319 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still quite windy here but I decided to go flying anyway and just poodle around. On the second pack I decided to do some flips and go inverted. I was making good progress but on one turn inverted the heli caught a gust and went sideways. I should have rotated out but I tried to fight it and ended up rolling out too low and just clipping the ground as I hit TH. All it did was pop a link off a blade, broke the front of the frame and chewed some teeth on the main gear. The frame has been glued before so I've glued it back and replaced the link. The main gear is a bit more noisy but it seems to work ok. I was straight back in the air. I will have to stop trying to fight things and always bail out if I feel unsure of a situation.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #320 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've noticed all my inverted crashes result in way less damage than an upright crash, go figure.
jackovart is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in