Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree232Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #441 (permalink)
Registered Users

Allan, did you check the tail rotor for a hairline crack?

Perhaps you hit a ghost with it, causing a hairline crack, in turn leading to your mishap.
net wurker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #442 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Good luck in that helping. IME with trying similar superglue will not hold to the plastic surface. Sanding it helps, but still not very good. A 2-part epoxy works much better. In a crash they will pop right off with superglue.
Well, unfortunately I was able to prove this wrong haha. The glue held. The zipties themselves broke lol. Along with the brand new chassis, brand new MH tail rotor, and one blade grip.

I can however say the Blade CF main blades are much stronger than stock (zero damage, even though they cut into the ground enough to get covered in dirt), and the MH tail boom is much stronger than stock (very mild bend, and took much more effort to straighten than a stock boom, also did not kink like the stock one does).

Also to note, the MH tail booms are sold in packs of two, for the same total price as a single stock one. So they're half the price too.

Pics in a bit
Old 03-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #443 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm longing to get mine in the air. Deep freeze seems to be over.
Me_How is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #444 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
Allan, did you check the tail rotor for a hairline crack?

Perhaps you hit a ghost with it, causing a hairline crack, in turn leading to your mishap.
I will have a good look. The tail rotor is pretty new as I split the leading edge off a blade a few flights ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
Well, unfortunately I was able to prove this wrong haha. The glue held. The zipties themselves broke lol. Along with the brand new chassis, brand new MH tail rotor, and one blade grip.

I can however say the Blade CF main blades are much stronger than stock (zero damage, even though they cut into the ground enough to get covered in dirt), and the MH tail boom is much stronger than stock (very mild bend, and took much more effort to straighten than a stock boom, also did not kink like the stock one does).

Also to note, the MH tail booms are sold in packs of two, for the same total price as a single stock one. So they're half the price too.

Pics in a bit
oh dear you are not having a lot of luck. Whilst frame damage is not too expensive to fix its a PITA to take everything loose to do it. If I crash and its clearly my fault then so be it but I hate crashing when I don't know the reason, which is what happened today.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #445 (permalink)
Registered Users

Proof glue works.
I'm gonna do the same to the new chassis again too. It was a hard impact directly to the front of the skid, so I can't say the zipties didn't reinforce it. Actually, I think I CAN say the zipties helped. Look at the right side. It didn't break at the normal point, it broke at the actual mount, which glues together very easily

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1460.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	739322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1459.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	739323  
Old 03-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #446 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
oh dear you are not having a lot of luck. Whilst frame damage is not too expensive to fix its a PITA to take everything loose to do it. If I crash and its clearly my fault then so be it but I hate crashing when I don't know the reason, which is what happened today.
I know right? I don't know what caused this crash either. I think I may have lost orientation and rolled the wrong way? But I don't know for sure. And yeah, I don't mind buying a few parts here and there. But I just rebuild the entire thing with a new chassis last night, and now I have to do it all over again. Well, I may just glue the chassis for the time being. What does bother me a little now though is I just noticed the anti-rotation bracket broke off too, and nobody [local] has that in stock. So I'm grounded until I can receive a new one in the mail.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #447 (permalink)
Registered Users

Waiting for parts is something I have to do all the time. Something breaks and the LHS doesn't stock spares for the 230s so its onto the auction site for parts. Guaranteed it will be excellent weather when I am waiting for the parts. This was the main problem with the 180cfx as it ate parts. I am waiting for zip ties at present but the heli is back together and working.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #448 (permalink)
Registered Users

My heli would have been in the air quicker if I could have remembered the order of the plugs in the Rx. I forgot about the unused sockets. Does anyone have a diagram of the plug order. I would post one but I can't upload images until I sort my computer. My old steam driven one won't talk to a a lot of websites.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #449 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=2#post7531804

Scroll down to the fifth picture.
Flightnite1 likes this.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #450 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks that is useful, I've now copied it into my manual. I thought after a rebuild I would need to do servo centering and trim flights but it flies rock steady, so we are back in business.
motoxxxman likes this.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #451 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kewl!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:44 AM   #452 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got time to nip out and put three packs through it today and three perfect flights after the frame swap, so confidence is on the way up again now.

By way of stimulating some conversation this helicopter is a delight to own and fly. I really like the simplicity of the tail motor which dumps all the gears and shafts to drive the tail and also the servo and pitch control bits for the tail rotor. I've noticed on this section of the forum that we don't have continual threads about tail wag or vibration. Ok the helicopter is not as responsive as some but as a sport flyer it is great. I know I will never make a full on 3D flier. The other thing we don't hear much about is servo, ESC or Rx problems. These servo's don't seem to suffer in crashes. On my 180 I had just bought it and was spooling up to take off, The heli tipped and one blade struck the deck and it knocked one of the servos out, stripping a tooth off a gear, so I was straight into getting metal gears after about 2 seconds of using it!!! As I say I hit the ground hard the other day and the servos are perfect. Its the same set up as the 180 so I don't know why the servos weren't damaged. Are they metal gear servos?
Old 03-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #453 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes the 230s are metal gear and one could argue oversized for the application. All good things for a sport/learning heli.

I have tons of helis from 180cfx, oxy 2, oxy 4, goblin 380s and 500s, protos 380, protos 500, T-Rex 470, mikado logo 550se and 3 700 helis. Guess what.... I still love flying the 230s for nice, relaxing sport flying in tight areas.

In fact I just fixed it back up the other night to get her going again after a crash this past December. Can't wait. Always a fun little heli to fly
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #454 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile New season just started

After long wait took mine out for a pack, but it was too gusty during the day. Greased up main gear a tiny bit because it sounded like a coffee grinder.
Later put the night blades on and put another pack through at dusk, finishing off with taking dirt sample with tail fin.

I also learned something new - it is possible to crack an LED.

Have to retrace one tail side now.

and finally... my first tail rotor gave up when dirt sampling.

Still flies 100%, but I'll just swap it out or I'll never use my spares. BTW mine stock tail motor & rotor has zero play on the shaft contrary to observation of others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5773-4-700.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	739671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5776-700.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	739672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5777-700.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	739673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5779-700.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	739674  

Last edited by Me_How; 03-10-2018 at 12:36 PM..
Me_How is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #455 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shame about taking a dirt sample with the fin. The tail rotors are very weak so that's to be expected, but I don't know how you fix the LED's I've not played with these. It sounds as if the mesh on your main gear is a bit on the tight side if it is a new undamaged gear. They normally sound very smooth. I would move the motor back a little and try that. I would also adjust the tail rotor hub a little to give some play. I don't really think it is a good idea to lubricate the gears as the helicopter seems to pick up quite a bit of dust that combines with the oil/grease to make a nice compound that causes wear.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #456 (permalink)
Registered Users

3 wks into 230s. It's an amazing heli. U can just about flying any style from basic to advance 3D. I haven't had any issues.

I was saving money for Fusion 270 but .... i'm thinking getting an another 230s and flying alternate. That's how much i fond of this heli....
2005h4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #457 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am glad you are enjoying your 230, they are great helicopters and, I find, very reliable.
I am not sure about buying another complete helicopter unless you fly some way from home and really feel the need to have a second "bullet so to speak. I would buy a bag of spares. Tail rotors, blade grips, main frame, tail boom are the only bits I've damaged with a few crashes. The tail boom was repaired and bent straight ok.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #458 (permalink)
Registered Users

how long does motor last?
2005h4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #459 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005h4 View Post
how long does motor last?
I've never heard of the main motor failing, ever.
The tail motor however can die if something causes it to overheat too many times, or if the wires get pinched without you knowing when installing a new boom. Crashes can kill the tail motor too if it hits a hard surface at the correct angle.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #460 (permalink)
Registered Users

good to know...thx.
Around 7 batteries continuous flights every day for pass 3 wks.
motoxxxman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in