Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2018, 05:18 AM   #601 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_How View Post
Strange one. Yesterday evening I had a swash to blade grip link pop mid flight coming out of a roll. It made for quite a spectacular rodeo show with funny flapping noise. The loose blade grip was twisting up and down fast as in giving positive and negative pitch alternatively. Surprising how well AS3X handled the situation even allowing for a semi controlled crash landing.
Inspected the link, poped back in upside down, finished the pack and went home happy
If you mean what I call the little dog bone links then I would replace it as its a 10 cent part and not worth risking the model. Ive had the ball joint bit come loose in the blade grip and it was the result of a hair line crack across the threaded hole. I think eventually the ball joint fixings wear and work loose.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 06:13 AM   #602 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well its rather quiet on here at the moment. Perhaps you are all enjoying trouble free flying at the moment. I must admit this is the most trouble free heli I have owned and the others don't really come out of their boxes now. The other half is keen for me to sell them to clear some space.

I am looking forward to the V2 spares hitting the auction sites as I think I will buy a V2 frame and a V2 main gear. Perhaps the thicker gear will be a little more resilient to teeth chipping in minor rotor strikes. Also I am keen to try the upgraded tail rotor which may be a cheaper more available alternative to the CF rotor.

Not done much flying as every day is windy here. The weather has been rather anti helicopter flying lately - cold wet and windy.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #603 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got to fly my heli properly with the new ESC. It flew well but interestingly I could hear the tail motor reving more and just generally more active. I guess its the way these ESC's operate and maybe the tolerances in them. The tail motor wasn't hot or anything.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #604 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the motors staying cool Allan then shouldn't really be anything to worry about. May help to do a trim flight, fbl may make some adjustments for the new ESC.

Trim flight is primarily to gather flight data to aid self levelling but I beleive it also gathers data for the piro comp, which obviously is a function of the tail. Can't say for sure if it will make any difference but it certainly won't do any harm, just something that came to mind.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #605 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
Well its rather quiet on here at the moment.
Itís warming up, everyone is out flying!! I repaired my 230 this week and was able to sneak in several flights. I almost crashed on th first when it spun 180 degrees on me toward the house...

I apparently put the tail rotor on backwards.. itís flying great now though!
Old 05-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #606 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
If the motors staying cool Allan then shouldn't really be anything to worry about. May help to do a trim flight, fbl may make some adjustments for the new ESC.
I've done a trim flight and put on CF tail rotor. The heli is flying well and the motor is not even warm after a flight. The tail motor still appears to be a bit more active though. I will just keep on flying now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateTheDrake View Post
Itís warming up, everyone is out flying!
Me too. This weather in the UK is either cold and windy or rather hot. Lovely day today and I went out this morning and put 3 packs through it. Too many dog walkers now though.
HateTheDrake likes this.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #607 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bought my first one. That's what I did with mine. Oh, and read through the manual.
umax5555 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #608 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm giving the sim a miss for a while because I have difficulty between RL and sim. I can do a lot more on the sim than RL but in RL I seem to get some kind of seizure and can not replicate what I do in the sim. I am slowly catching up in RL but its a difficult slow process. I don't know why this is the case. Maybe its fear of crashing.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #609 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm giving the sim a miss for a while because I have difficulty between RL and sim. I can do a lot more on the sim than RL but in RL I seem to get some kind of seizure and can not replicate what I do in the sim. I am slowly catching up in RL but its a difficult slow process. I don't know why this is the case. Maybe its fear of crashing.
Allan,

I can tell you, I had the same issue and I believe this is the case. I figured it out when I purchased a nano cpx and took it outside and flew the crap out of it, like I would on the sim because I didnt care if I crashed it, which I did multiple times and took right back off again without ever breaking anything. I would never do this with my big heli's. I am always too careful and scared to crash which of course results (sometimes) in dumb thumbs. If I fly the nano with care, I can fly it with confidence and precision with no issues, because again, I dont care about crashing it due to it's resilience.

Try it, I bet you will find it a huge confidence booster and allow you to fly your bigger birds with much more confidence making the experience so much more enjoyable, imho.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #610 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bad crash today

I've been pushing my RL flying today and was making good progress. On the last flight I had a reverse upright figure of eight going. I completed the first eight well and went straight into the second but then I just lost all orientation and stuffed the heli in tail first. I think it is like when a real pilot gets confused and loses all sense of up and down. The tail fin dug in and broke the tail tube and the heli flipped over so the rotors hit the ground ripping off one of the metal ball links from a blade grip and smashed the top of the frame. With the tail motor loose it stripped some of the wires in the tail so I have them to repair as well as a frame up rebuild. I was fighting it all the way so the heli hit under power. I hope I haven't stuffed a motor or ESC but no smells of burning.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #611 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it looks like I might have blown another ESC. I connected everything for a test but I am not getting any response from the motors. No beeps but I am getting the servos to work. This ESC has only done about 20 flights. I was so fed up I have just left it for now. When it crashed it stripped some of the wire on the tail motor. I swapped it for the spare tail motor to eliminate the damage wiring and old motor but still nothing.

Are these ESC's so fragile to any shorts on the wiring??
Old 05-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #612 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unfortunately Allan yes, a short can easily fry you're esc. The servo's run of an internal bec which is on a seperate circuit, so it's not surprising they are still working.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #613 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about the crash Allan.. Good time to put on some goodies though. Lol.

I just got her ready for the season with new canopy, skids, tailboom, struts, fin, tail motor mount. Now she looks as good as she flies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180507_210950342.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	745140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180507_211006677.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	745141  
Old 05-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #614 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking good. Mine went from bad to worse today. I tested the ESC with two new motors and checked the connections. I initially had the servos working but then they seemed to fail with just the light of the receiver coming on.. I tried re-binding using the bind plug from my 180 as I don't have one for the 230. I can't get any binding now. The receiver light flashes which means its in bind mode but I can't get the beep sequence from the Tx. I shall buy a new ESC and hope the Rx is ok.

I resume a spektrum bind plug is good for all spektrum Rx'x and not Rx specific.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #615 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I resume a spektrum bind plug is good for all spektrum Rx'x and not Rx specific.
You resume correctly Allan
Old 05-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #616 (permalink)
Registered Users

What did I do. I had three safe flights in the controlled banking mode. Then I decided to go in 3-D mode and see how I felt since it was only the second time out this year. I kind of flew back-and-forth a little bit and it was OK. It wasnít windy so I decided it was a good time to try flipping and inverting since I was chicken to do it a lot of last year. I did too good flips. I did one inversion and then flipped it over OK not too bad. And then against my better judgement I tried another inverted hover , lost control, almost recovered, didnít recover, crash.

Oh well I guess if you never try you never get there so part of the learning curve. I think this might be a good excuse to upgrade to the new version 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mysterious is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #617 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rather unfortunate. I would try gently bending the tail boom straight and I would stick the frame with some impact adhesive with cocktail sticks as bracing. A frame up re-build is quite a lot of work and at this stage in your flying career you may crash frequently so full re-builds every time can be expensive and time consuming.

As for learning inverted flight what I did was plenty of hours on the sim until I could do nose in inverted hovering quite well. In the real world I started going inverted by getting the heli up around thirty foot altitude and doing backwards flips but trying to hesitate when the heli was inverted. As soon as I lost confidence i would complete the flip. It worked well for me.
Lotus 7 likes this.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #618 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've followed the advice of others and only attached my skids using FBL/3M tape. That way in an impact they pop off instead of snapping the frame. Just a thought for next time.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #619 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I've followed the advice of others and only attached my skids using FBL/3M tape. That way in an impact they pop off instead of snapping the frame. Just a thought for next time.
I use cheap, weak zip ties. Either solution is attractive. Bend the booms as a repair- close counts. Learn to flip Rescue switch. Use the main gear as long as it doesn't induce too much vibration; I've used them when they appeared really eaten up and made a lot of clicks in flight. This is all a beauty of the 230- it will fly fine with all kinds of damage.
therick04pp likes this.
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #620 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFred View Post
I use cheap, weak zip ties. Either solution is attractive. Bend the booms as a repair- close counts. Learn to flip Rescue switch. Use the main gear as long as it doesn't induce too much vibration; I've used them when they appeared really eaten up and made a lot of clicks in flight. This is all a beauty of the 230- it will fly fine with all kinds of damage.
Flown my 230s with so much damage I wasn't sure it was a heli from 50 feet.
Main frame split in two with the mainshaft swinging like a bobble head, skids attached with tape around cracked lower frame, tail boom that looked like an S. Sweet bends! One missing fin on the tail prop, no vertical stabilizer left. Canopy comprised of more duct tape than actual canopy.

That poor thing. And it still flew ok!
motoxxxman likes this.
Thickfog is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in