Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #901 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
Well I've tried it and ended up losing 16mm from the boom. I had to re-cut the slot as suggested. The heli seems to hover fine with good tail control and the motor doesn't seem to be working any differently. Will give it a proper try in the field over the weekend. It might just save an expensive part here in the UK.

you can make one from a 8mm x35.5 cm aluminum knitting needle, just cut it down to desired length and cut the slots in.
captjack01 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #902 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjack01 View Post
you can make one from a 8mm x35.5 cm aluminum knitting needle, just cut it down to desired length and cut the slots in.
Thanks, I've just bought a pair of knitting needles. I bet my wife looks strange at me when I open them. I'll tell her its to knit the lime green jersey that will be her xmas present - that should go down well!!
UH34D and Ram_Wagon like this.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #903 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did I do today?

Today was the first flyable day in 10 days because of the high winds.
My first two flights were to just get the feeling back. After those went pretty good I thought I should try going to idle up 1 and see what would happen. Side note, I have been watching lots of videos of full scale heli flying so I had in the back of my mind to not over correct.
I then made three flights mostly in i/u and only had one panic moment. Full disclosure, most of my flying is still tail in hovering and trying to keep the heli over the 10 foot square pad. I turned 90 degrees a couple times for just seconds but that felt pretty good.
I'm going back to the field Sunday for more practice and try to turn longer and left and right.
tryinghelirandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #904 (permalink)
Registered Users

3 packs in IU1 and no crashes, starting to get more confidence out of stability mode. But the biggest thing today was my first aileron and backwards roll sorry if thats not the right name for those maneuvers.
blarks is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #905 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryinghelirandy View Post
Today was the first flyable day in 10 days because of the high winds.
My first two flights were to just get the feeling back. After those went pretty good I thought I should try going to idle up 1 and see what would happen. Side note, I have been watching lots of videos of full scale heli flying so I had in the back of my mind to not over correct.
I then made three flights mostly in i/u and only had one panic moment. Full disclosure, most of my flying is still tail in hovering and trying to keep the heli over the 10 foot square pad. I turned 90 degrees a couple times for just seconds but that felt pretty good.
I'm going back to the field Sunday for more practice and try to turn longer and left and right.
Sounds like good progress. When you turn 90 degrees try and imagine yourself turned 90 degrees with the heli and this will keep your control orientation correct in your mind. Don't actually turn otherwise it is just tail in hovering again. If you get into trouble then turn. Also when you are tail in hovering try moving the heli around the hovering patch, moving it sideways and front and back then eventually try progressing to moving in a circular pattern keeping the tail pointing towards you. Actually I found side on and especially nose in hovering pretty difficult to master.
Ram_Wagon likes this.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #906 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarks View Post
3 packs in IU1 and no crashes, starting to get more confidence out of stability mode. But the biggest thing today was my first aileron and backwards roll sorry if thats not the right name for those maneuvers.
Good progress. I think with these backward flips and rolls the key thing is control of the collective (pitch) inputs to keep things steady. If you can make the heli fly sideways across your line of sight then pitch the nose up a little and push the cyclic full right or left and you will roll the heli quite quickly. Pitching the nose up stops it diving quickly for the ground. At first I wouldn't put any collective control on but the roll will then be a bit of a barrel roll. To get axial rolls you need pitch inputs as you roll through to inverted. It will all come eventually. The same with the backward flip in that if you hover still in the sky pitch inputs will keep the heli stationary in the sky during the flip and this looks dead impressive.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #907 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just did some hovering and front flips. Nothing fancy.

But I wanted to mention how butter-smooth the 230 S V2 is in IU1. For practicing orientations and simple newb stuff I do, it’s so nice. It’s my favorite heli to do this on. Plus, IU2 with 100% dual rates can get zippy if you want it to.
Ram_Wagon likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #908 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't done much of anything for a couple of weeks...!

But that's mostly due to weather (cold and/or rainy) here.

However, I did do a couple of Trim Flights again. And while I stopped the right drift after the MH fuse install, I am lost as to which way the tail rotor is installed?

I think I have it backwards, as BrokeDad had suggested...? I was thinking the tail rotor spins counter clockwise when powered? I should've marked the tail before removing it, but as I said before, I left the screw & washer in the rotor to keep orientation than dropped them while installing! So, I lost the orientation and ASSUMED I had it right?

(let's see if these pics load)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	761445  
Old 11-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #909 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry the pic is 90 degrees off....!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #910 (permalink)
Registered Users

But facing the tail rotor, looking at the Allen screw that holds it on, with the rotor spinning counter clockwise, it should be mounted the opposite than what I have here, correct?
Old 11-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #911 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_Wagon View Post
I haven't done much of anything for a couple of weeks...!

But that's mostly due to weather (cold and/or rainy) here.

However, I did do a couple of Trim Flights again. And while I stopped the right drift after the MH fuse install, I am lost as to which way the tail rotor is installed?

I think I have it backwards, as BrokeDad had suggested...? I was thinking the tail rotor spins counter clockwise when powered? I should've marked the tail before removing it, but as I said before, I left the screw & washer in the rotor to keep orientation than dropped them while installing! So, I lost the orientation and ASSUMED I had it right?

(let's see if these pics load)

Down and dirty way to remember with stock tail blades. SHINEY SIDE OUT. You have it right.
Ram_Wagon likes this.
captjack01 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #912 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remember it as the concave side of the blade outermost. As said yours is correct.

I lost a tail rotor blade whilst flying today. Its been on the heli for about 60 flights but I find they eventually get longitudinal splits in the blades and then eventually a blade falls off. I am not sure if they do this naturally or because I land on grass and I suspect the blades hit the grass occasionally.

I flew my heli with its shortened tail boom today and it flew fine. I didn't notice any difference and the tail motor behaved as normal. So it is possible to shorten the tail by 18mm without any affect. I paid 16 $23 for a new Blade tail boom which I think is a ridiculous price. I thought there were two booms in a pack but mine only had one boom in it. Fortunately the knitting needles work really well and if you have a dremel to cut the end slots you can make the booms in minutes for about 1 each.
Ram_Wagon likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #913 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi fellow pilots, I really started wondering today why I had never posted on the 230s section before. Since things look pretty active around here I'll share my experience on the V2 thew a series of videos .

What encouraged me to do so is the nostalgia. I'm having a great time presently volunteering in central america. Hence, that means I left most of my fleet back in Canada, including my 230S V2.

This first video I posted today,

Blade 230S V2 sport flight (3 min 7 sec)

This video is from August 17 2018. The 230S V2 is most definitly tame enough for "box flying" with just the right amount of head speed, floatiness and pop. It is a wonderful bird to practice care free .

Blade 230S V2 street front flight (2 min 17 sec)

It is also the perfect definition of Parflyer .

Blade 230S V2 flight (6 min 44 sec)

Basically, what did I do with my 230S today?
I gave it great thought .
SpekBo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #914 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice flying but I think if we flew over the street here in the UK, like you do, we would be getting a knock on the door from Mr Policeman.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #915 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Nice flying but I think if we flew over the street here in the UK, like you do, we would be getting a knock on the door from Mr Policeman.

I was thinking the same thing. I fly over the street in front of my house in a subdivision almost daily. But if I see or hear a car coming, I quickly exit the street airspace and get over my own yard, until that car passes.

Then again, I am not in control of my 230S nearly as well as him.

People in the US think that AMA insurance would cover them if they were to hit a vehicle. That is what AMA wants you to believe, but really isn't the case. AMA insurance only covers you after your homeowner insurance coverage maxes out or refuses to pay. For most situations, AMA insurance means nothing.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #916 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the UK your house insurance would only cover aspects of damage to the house. It would never cover any damage caused through flying a model in that situation. I would need to take out some kind of liability insurance or perhaps join the British Model Flying Association (BMFA) that might include insurance with membership.This said insurance might only be valid on designated flying sites. I fly my helicopter in a farmers field off a public footpath. There are occasional dog walkers and runners but when I see them coming in the distance I land the helicopter just in case. I think a blade strike from a 230 could do quite a bit of damage, especially around the face and neck. I also think it could put an expensive dent in a car.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #917 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I agree. I did'nt mean to set a bad example, sorry ...
It's that urge to immediatly want to scratch the "heli itch" that has gotten the best of me with lack of judgement .

Nevertheless, the 230S V2 is a great bird .
SpekBo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #918 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I have to agree it is one of the best flying heli's I have had and also one of the lowest maintenance helis.

I was flying today in slightly gusty conditions and was even doing inverted circuits. Unfortunately I lost it and just hit TH before the ground. All it did was split a tail rotor blade, knock a dog bone link off and bent the main shaft a little. All fixed now as I managed to straighten the main shaft. It is a cheap bird to fix in most cases.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #919 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes I have to agree it is one of the best flying heli's I have had and also one of the lowest maintenance helis.

I was flying today in slightly gusty conditions and was even doing inverted circuits. Unfortunately I lost it and just hit TH before the ground. All it did was split a tail rotor blade, knock a dog bone link off and bent the main shaft a little. All fixed now as I managed to straighten the main shaft. It is a cheap bird to fix in most cases.
Do you bend it back by hand and by eye? Pliers?
Old 11-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #920 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did I do today?

I spent an hour making my two piece main frame a one piece frame again.
It's getting to the point where the next time I crash I'll probably use the new frame I have on the shelf. Should be a good day for flying tomorrow, so I'll give it another try.

Also, I turned my tail rotor around, The shiny side was to the left looking from the rear, I had been flying the wrong way for maybe ten flights and didn't notice any bad tendencies. Thanks to the info from another thread.

Last edited by tryinghelirandy; 11-22-2018 at 08:55 PM..
tryinghelirandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in