Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #921 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Do you bend it back by hand and by eye? Pliers?
I bent it back using the flat table of my bandsaw as a reference. You won't bend the shaft very well with a pliers so Its a mater of rolling the shaft on a flat surface to find the bend then I put that in my vice and just tap the end of the shaft with a small hammer. Its a matter of little by little until you get it right and it rolls nicely against the reference surface..
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #922 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did I do today?

No posts here for two and a half weeks so I'll bore you with my day.

Yesterday I replaced the main frame that I have glued together 3 times. Too many pieces were missing and it wasn't stiff any more.

I made my first flight just in safe mode and stayed tail in hover real close to the ground in case nuts and bolts started flying off. Spoiler report, tail in hover is about all I can do anyway. The second flight I did a trim flight and I think it helped a little. I ended up doing 9 - 5 minute flights and brought it home in the same number of pieces that I took it to the field with. The next time I go flying I'll start turning left and right with a little forward movement.

Baby steps, my biggest problem is when I get into a panic situation my thumbs automatically go back to fixed wing thumbs. I'm doing a lot better with the up and down motion, I don't have to think about that much any more. Heli and fixed wing are opposite.

On black Friday I bought a t-rex 470l and am building it now. I was debating the t-rex or the Blade 360 but the 360 was more expensive and with the T-rex I'm learning how to build a heli. The t-rex is bigger and hopefully easier for my old eyes to see.

Boring, I know, but you read it.
tryinghelirandy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #923 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryinghelirandy View Post
No posts here for two and a half weeks so I'll bore you with my day.

Yesterday I replaced the main frame that I have glued together 3 times. Too many pieces were missing and it wasn't stiff any more.

I made my first flight just in safe mode and stayed tail in hover real close to the ground in case nuts and bolts started flying off. Spoiler report, tail in hover is about all I can do anyway. The second flight I did a trim flight and I think it helped a little. I ended up doing 9 - 5 minute flights and brought it home in the same number of pieces that I took it to the field with. The next time I go flying I'll start turning left and right with a little forward movement.

Baby steps, my biggest problem is when I get into a panic situation my thumbs automatically go back to fixed wing thumbs. I'm doing a lot better with the up and down motion, I don't have to think about that much any more. Heli and fixed wing are opposite.

On black Friday I bought a t-rex 470l and am building it now. I was debating the t-rex or the Blade 360 but the 360 was more expensive and with the T-rex I'm learning how to build a heli. The t-rex is bigger and hopefully easier for my old eyes to see.

Boring, I know, but you read it.
Keep up the practice, I am also learning and have a 230, one thing I found useful was to give myself plenty of altitude so when mistakes happen I had plenty of time to recover.
blarks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #924 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today I took my 230 and my 360 along with batteries, charger, and tools to work with the intention of going flying when I got off at 3pm. Since I was going to be sitting on my ass all day testing emission engines on the dyno, I figured I would charge batteries and do all my usual Friday night (to go flying Saturday morning) checks. Everything went really well all day until, due to a mechanical failure of the testing machine, we weren’t able to start the final test until after 4pm which meant no flying for me today... Looks like I’m taking everything with me tomorrow to try again.
aj7808 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #925 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its turned rather cold here in the southern UK but I got 3 flights in today. Still trying to progress with inverted forward circuits and getting better slowly. I just replaced the bearings and main shaft in my main heli and its flying smoother now. I could hear a bit of vibration before doing this. This said of the two s30 helis I have one has the std plastic V2 frame and the other has the RKH carbon fibre and aluminium frame and the RKH frame seems to have more vibration. I think the plastic frame is a natural vibration absorber whereas the carbon fibre is not.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #926 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
Its turned rather cold here in the southern UK but I got 3 flights in today. Still trying to progress with inverted forward circuits and getting better slowly. I just replaced the bearings and main shaft in my main heli and its flying smoother now. I could hear a bit of vibration before doing this. This said of the two s30 helis I have one has the std plastic V2 frame and the other has the RKH carbon fibre and aluminium frame and the RKH frame seems to have more vibration. I think the plastic frame is a natural vibration absorber whereas the carbon fibre is not.
Not at the inverted stage yet apart from a few forward loops. I tend to get impatient and try to do things I shouldn't so I've told myself to get comfortable in idle ups in all upright orientations. I flew 6 packs this morning and was a bit cloudy and probably not he best for visibility, still having some difficulty with orientation sometimes, tilted left/right or forward/backwards.

Lost it once and flipping switches and buttons furiously all except the one I wanted lol. Luckily one of those switches was throttle hold and managed to come down with no damage apart from the boom support come apart from the frame which has already broken and reglued many times, felt pretty lucky but the good thing is I'm getting better at getting out of orientation trouble, man these things are hard lol.
blarks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #927 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got out for my first proper flights with the Night 230s today. Freezing cold in the UK so only 4 packs. Had stock blades fitted instead of the night blades and started some tuning of the FBL.

Upped the main head P gain to 120 on the second flight then up to 130, still not seeing any head wobble from the higher gain doing 3D in IU2, so might be able to go further. Increased the I gain on the tail to 120 and it greatly improved the tail hold in pitch pumps. Also dropped the cyclic response to 80 and increased the expo to 30% on the head to try and get a more linear feel on the cyclic.

Have the indoor meeting on Monday night coming up but probably won’t do any more tuning there, need more room to try the overall flight envelope for that.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #928 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarks View Post
Not at the inverted stage yet apart from a few forward loops. I tend to get impatient and try to do things I shouldn't so I've told myself to get comfortable in idle ups in all upright orientations. I flew 6 packs this morning and was a bit cloudy and probably not he best for visibility, still having some difficulty with orientation sometimes, tilted left/right or forward/backwards.

Lost it once and flipping switches and buttons furiously all except the one I wanted lol. Luckily one of those switches was throttle hold and managed to come down with no damage apart from the boom support come apart from the frame which has already broken and reglued many times, felt pretty lucky but the good thing is I'm getting better at getting out of orientation trouble, man these things are hard lol.
I agree that these things are hard to fly. I liken it to the RC equivalent of balancing a pool que on your hand. You need continuous control inputs to keep the thing exactly where you want it in the air. The orientations and associated lateral inversions of the controls also make it much harder. It will come eventually but it takes a long time. I would say gentle progress is the best otherwise you just keep taking home broken helicopters which is not very encouraging.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #929 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scary Moment

Today I was pushing the inverted reverse circuits and doing well keeping the heli high but then it got away from me and I lost orientation. At this point the heli is in the distance and no matter which way I turned it seemed to be going further away. In the end my poor eyesight was no good so I hit TH and it dropped at the edge of the field right by the road. I spent ages looking and because of the continual trafic I couldn't use listening while moving the servos or motor. Fortunately a guy out running came past carrying it as it had landed on the verge of the road further up than I thought. Fortunately no damage either and what a relief I thought I had lost the heli.

I am getting fed up with my eyes as I find it very difficult to see the orientation of the tail of the heli now I am going to paint the tail fin bright red and see if that helps. Any tips anyone?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #930 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Visability

Hi Allan, You might consider bright yellow or what used to be called dayglo orange. I find that they really help my old eyes. Both can be found at WalMart and Home Depot. Good luck and keep flying
UH34D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #931 (permalink)
Registered Users

Blade have an orange tail fin as an accessory don't they? Paint will tend to flex off from the plastic. My friend tried painting his own, but now uses the orange plastic ones. I just took one of his old white ones to swap out the night tail for daytime flying.

I can say that as your skills improve you become less dependent on seeing the helis orientation and you just know what the heli is doing after your last commands. I used to put bright yellow tails on all my birds to help and never could see how pilots flew without a canopy or in low light conditions. Now I find it's no real issue to fly against dull sky's and when the light is fading, so long as I am doing moves I am confident in then I don't have a problem, I just try not to practice new moves when the visibility is low.

Nick Maxwell who does these great autos from way up there is almost blind , well at least he has poor eyesight and can still pull off all of the moves.

//Dennis.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #932 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb

Quote:
...I am getting fed up with my eyes as I find it very difficult to see the orientation of the tail of the heli now I am going to paint the tail fin bright red and see if that helps. Any tips anyone?
Your answer is BLH1554 Allan. It is stupid priced for what it is, I know https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blade-BLH...aW0g:rk:1:pf:0. It is the quickest way though.
You can also tell left from right as one tail side is red and other green. Green light is bright enough to be even seen in the day time.
Some will be of the opinion that these are garbage as they break when tail fin flexes in a crash. LED's are soldered on a circuit strip that can tear in half. That is true. This is why it is best to stick it on a strip of plastic/lexan and stick that to a tail fin.
If you don't feel like spending this kind of money on it, there is also an option to go DIY, with say white lights on one side only or something.
Throw some lights on that tail. Tail lights are great for orientation!

Oh, and you may consider flying with a low voltage alarm connected to battery balance plug. If you loose your model it will eventually start to scream when battery gets low.
Me_How is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #933 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_How View Post
Your answer is BLH1554 Allan. It is stupid priced for what it is, I know https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blade-BLH...aW0g:rk:1:pf:0. It is the quickest way though.
You can also tell left from right as one tail side is red and other green. Green light is bright enough to be even seen in the day time.
Some will be of the opinion that these are garbage as they break when tail fin flexes in a crash. LED's are soldered on a circuit strip that can tear in half. That is true. This is why it is best to stick it on a strip of plastic/lexan and stick that to a tail fin.
If you don't feel like spending this kind of money on it, there is also an option to go DIY, with say white lights on one side only or something.
Throw some lights on that tail. Tail lights are great for orientation!

Oh, and you may consider flying with a low voltage alarm connected to battery balance plug. If you loose your model it will eventually start to scream when battery gets low.
Thanks for the advice. I've ordered a low voltage alarm as they are dead cheap. I looked at the BLH1554 stuff and that is way expensive so I don't really see myself going that route. I have looked at dolls house LED lighting

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolls-Hou...UeA:rk:10:pf:0

Has anyone used these items on a heli, seem much cheaper and I could stick red on one side of the fin or tail boom and green on the other.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:19 AM   #934 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had a fun night lastnight flying indoor. Flew the 180cfx and the 230s v1. Also had a whoop course and flew the Inductix BL through some of the gates. Did a bit of blade scraping and lite 3D with both helis but here is a pic of the 230s just about to rub the floor and the 180 down low as well.

//Dennis.

Last edited by Thunder Fighter; 12-18-2018 at 05:07 AM..
Old 12-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #935 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice flying. I wish I had an indoor site at the moment. Tried flying outside today and it was too gusty. I was upside down again and got blown into the ground but only lost the two dog bone links and bent the feathering shaft so no real damage.
Thunder Fighter likes this.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #936 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, I admire the blade 230's resiliency. Thinking of getting one.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #937 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Sganzerla View Post
Wow, I admire the blade 230's resiliency. Thinking of getting one.
Yes the electric tail makes this heli very simple with a low parts count. I also think that with the servo centering mode they are very easy to set up on the bench. The servos are also very crash proof and I have only ever had one gear strip a tooth after many hours running but you can buy gear sets as spares.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #938 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's me talking about the tail and simplicity of the heli!!! It was quite windy today but I wanted to put the batteries in storage condition for the xmas break so I went out today to fly. As it was windy the only thing possible was straight and level with some front and back flips and rolls. Too gusty for any inverted stuff. Half way through the third battery the tail boom broke at the frame and the rotors hit the top of the tail fin. The whole lot came to earth in a mess. oh well I've got xmas to sort it out but it's a fairly new blade tail and there was no warning, it's like its fatigued off. I am going to make the new tail from my knitting needles and try that.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #939 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear that, Allan. Any chance that it was a tail boom strike that caused the boom to break, and not the other way around? Were you pumping the throttle?

I've also had to replace a boom. Hopefully the knitting needle works well for you. Let us know!

Quote:
There's me talking about the tail and simplicity of the heli!!! It was quite windy today but I wanted to put the batteries in storage condition for the xmas break so I went out today to fly. As it was windy the only thing possible was straight and level with some front and back flips and rolls. Too gusty for any inverted stuff. Half way through the third battery the tail boom broke at the frame and the rotors hit the top of the tail fin. The whole lot came to earth in a mess. oh well I've got xmas to sort it out but it's a fairly new blade tail and there was no warning, it's like its fatigued off. I am going to make the new tail from my knitting needles and try that.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #940 (permalink)
Registered Users

No there was no strike I was just poodling around and noticed the tail suddenly drop. I thought it had pulled out of the frame but the remaining bit was tight in the frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in