Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Missed a good chance to do some nice flying yesterday. Charged up all my batteries and packed everything and was all ready to go the next morning. Couldn't fall asleep all night. Insomnia. By morning when it was time to head out I was too dead tired. Wound up running down my batteries to storage voltage hovering in my driveway later that evening... Boring.
Desmond is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had lots of fun today. The heli was behaving perfectly. Last pack it started to piro out of control. I knew exactly what it was.

Yesterday I crashed it. I am still a newbie but I don't crash much these days with the 230 S, on the last like 14 packs or so since I started taking advantage of Rescue. When new it had a nasty crash that cracked the frame just a bit on the weak spot right behind the battery. I had taped that with Velcro and was working perfect. But after this last crash that Velcro gave in and even the back end of the frame started to crack.

So yesterday I did another repair to it with 5 minute epoxy. The repair was holding perfectly until last pack today. The frame gave in and the pinion and gear disengaged as the frame cracked and pushed the entire thing to the back.

I noticed this and tried to keep it level as much as I could and hit Throttle Hold. The only damage was the frame that was probably repairable but I decided to buy a new one. But it is out of stock. So I had no choice but to purchase the Rakon CF and AL frame which is pretty darn expensive, but from my past experience of a complete Rakon make-over on a 200 SRX is very resilient.

I also ordered a new delrin gear replacement and new skids. The old ones are ok but those CF skids are awesome.

As I no longer cared for the frame I disassembled all the good parts and wanted to keep the electronics complete, no cable disengaged from the AS3X unit so I started cracking the frame to get everything out intact.

Attached is the result

I really wanted the full makeover but I can't afford it right now. I am overspent as it is with my build. I hope I can sell the helis I have on the classifieds soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3187[1].jpg
Views:	67
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	658287  
Old 06-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright. Rakonheli frame upgrade complete. I have to admit it looks MUCH better in person than in the pictures. I was a bit hesitant of the orange but it may be the same colour as the Oxy 3 Tareq and looks simply amazing. Really enjoyed the process but the end result is amazing. I also added Lynx low profile skids to complete the look. Charging packs but some tests and trim flights first!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3194.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	658760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3195.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	658761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3196.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	658762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3197.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	658763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3198.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	658764  

Name:	IMG_3199.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	658765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3200.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	658766  
Old 06-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice! Looks very precise. Will you be changing the tail fin too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check the screws that clamp the front of the tail boom frequently. Mine loosened up after about 3 or 5 flights and the end of the boom got badly reamed out and opened up. I wound up having to replace the boom and I added the support collar and links to the new one. No problem with loose booms since, even after a hard tail plant.
Boulder53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder53 View Post
Check the screws that clamp the front of the tail boom frequently. Mine loosened up after about 3 or 5 flights and the end of the boom got badly reamed out and opened up. I wound up having to replace the boom and I added the support collar and links to the new one. No problem with loose booms since, even after a hard tail plant.
Looks good. You should have just finished it out with RKH pieces up top. I like the Lynx swash, stock center hub and RKH grips I shattered a RKH swash, as they are not very tough.

Boom pieces can come loose and it is a good idea to check every so often. Copius amounts of loctite will usually lock it down and no worry. Its the ring underneath the serovs that are the unknown as you cannot get to them without removing the upper portion. I know the RKH frame comes assembled but I hope you removed every screw and applied loctite. It may already have, but I didn't trust.
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Everything was dry fitted so I removed every single screw and applied Loctite.

Everything was good. Had some issues as I reversed the servo connectors but learned my lesson a while ago and checked all movements before. Fixed that.

Then I had issues with pitch so got out my pitch gauge and swash leveler and removed the skids and fin to have zero to the floor. Fixed that.

Went out into the backyard to do a trim flight. (I re-calibrated before). Everything looked good. Liked the sound of the 14T steel pinion very smooth. One pack down on trim flight and corroboration on 3D mode it was all OK.

Next pack the heli does not respond to input. I ended up re-binding no issues. But still the heli does not respond. I end up noticing the ESC is not arming.......

Red light of death on the ESC. Guess the 14T pinion pushed it too hard or something. Or bad luck I don't know. The pack was ok and the motor was cool. Now I have to order an ESC
Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Red light of death on the ESC. Guess the 14T pinion pushed it too hard or something. Or bad luck I don't know. The pack was ok and the motor was cool. Now I have to order an ESC
Does it bind? Do you get the beeps and the servo movements as the rcvr initializes?
Old 06-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doh! Took out another spare 200 SRX ESC and it armed. It ended up being loose connectors on the tail motor shorting the ESC preventing it to arm. There is no red light of death it is actually the status light but given the position I usually don't see it because the FBL has a big orange shiny light and is on top. Lesson learned. Now to do some more tests. Lowered my throttle curves anyway as a precaution.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now it doesn't arm again. I thought it was the ESC because it does not turn on the motor BUT now I see the FBL is not lighting up. It binds correctly but does not initialize, that is the issue. I don't know why.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found it! I persevered until I found it. I used again my 200 SRX ESC to test and the FBL initialized. So I gathered it had to be the throttle/power connector from the ESC to the FBL. I pushed the cables in well even though I did not notice anything loose and presto two packs no issues. I will have to figure out now how to tune the heli with the change of pinion. I will update this when my short hover video finishes uploading to YouTube.

I had fun but the tail indeed is acting badly. It was windy but I did some quick pitch pumps. Very good response. Rescue is drifting right but it was my fault because my trim flight was with windy conditions. I need it to subside to do another one. Maybe tomorrow early is usually when wind is nice before going to work.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think you increased head speed enough to have to tune anything, but could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Oxy 2/3/4/5; XL Power 700; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep

Last edited by jrman83; 06-24-2016 at 06:24 AM..
Old 06-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Test hover

230 S Hover (3 min 57 sec)
Old 06-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well today was my actual real flights with the new frame. At lunch I did a few hovers but mainly to play around with PID settings. I am a newbie but I wanted to play around with settings because I felt the tail too waggy after the upgrade in pinion.

I may play around with it some more but it feels really well for my current basic maneuvers. It flies really smooth and Rescue is again working fine. However I found today I just tested it high on a hover but never really used it on the 4 packs I flew. Sometimes I got too close to the ground for comfort on FFF passes or on inverted hovers but overall it was good.

I lost it a little bit on an inverted pass as I started crooked (have not gone to inverted orientations yet only inverted nose in hover) and I struggled a bit to get it back but I did not end up using Rescue. What a great tool, just knowing it is there is very reassuring.

Now on to sim training to actually progress although I want to be much more smooth on my current moves. So I have to work mostly on figure 8's, and then (gasp!) inverted orientations.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	06242016.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	658927  
Old 06-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Well today was my actual real flights with the new frame. At lunch I did a few hovers but mainly to play around with PID settings. I am a newbie but I wanted to play around with settings because I felt the tail too waggy after the upgrade in pinion.

I may play around with it some more but it feels really well for my current basic maneuvers. It flies really smooth and Rescue is again working fine. However I found today I just tested it high on a hover but never really used it on the 4 packs I flew. Sometimes I got too close to the ground for comfort on FFF passes or on inverted hovers but overall it was good.

I lost it a little bit on an inverted pass as I started crooked (have not gone to inverted orientations yet only inverted nose in hover) and I struggled a bit to get it back but I did not end up using Rescue. What a great tool, just knowing it is there is very reassuring.

Now on to sim training to actually progress although I want to be much more smooth on my current moves. So I have to work mostly on figure 8's, and then (gasp!) inverted orientations.

Great news that you fixed the problem, it's looking really good
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

This morning it was completely calm for the first time in 6+ weeks.
I was going to do some flights, but it wanted to do the right roll of death on takeoff. I'm suspecting it might be my stock dampers that aren't working right with the rakonheli head and CF blades.

I'm going to try the RKH delrin ones I have lying around.

Are you guys running aftermarket dampeners on your metal heads?
Old 06-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HindandSeek View Post
This morning it was completely calm for the first time in 6+ weeks.
I was going to do some flights, but it wanted to do the right roll of death on takeoff. I'm suspecting it might be my stock dampers that aren't working right with the rakonheli head and CF blades.

I'm going to try the RKH delrin ones I have lying around.

Are you guys running aftermarket dampeners on your metal heads?
The stock ones seem to work the best for me. I have tried the Lynx ultra dampers.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I'm thinking of upgrading from dx6i to dx6. You like it? Any experience with other radios?
crimson66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Liked the sound of the 14T steel pinion very smooth.
Where did you find a 14t pinion? Highest I have seen is 13.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.lynxheli.com/product_inf...96b88840ab93ec

It is listed as for the 200 SRX (might also be listed on the 230 S page but I purchased it originally in error for the 200 SRX). But since they are the same motor and same motor shaft, well it fits just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Where did you find a 14t pinion? Highest I have seen is 13.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in