Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok. Just check your gear. The mesh up may look good but the modulus could still be off a little.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Oxy 2/3/4/5; XL Power 700; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

I spent the majority of my day modding the 230s to put the Huey body on it.
I followed instructions and ideas posted by other freakers and the mod came out perfect.
The heli really looked good and it hovered rock solid.
I am very pleased with the outcome.
I then placed the heli on the table to bask in it's glory and dropped it on the floor. I broke the very fragile body. Gosh Daskit.

Maybe after I fly the repaired broken body for a while I will install the second body I purchased because I knew I would mess it up somehow.
mtwarych3@msn.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #103 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Dammit, was repairing crash damage today and had to put it away to cool off. Replaced the entire tail assembly and main gear in what I thought was a fairly minor crash. Got this all repaired, then noticed that the top part of the frame was completely severed above the main motor.

I'll replace the frame as I have a spare, but I'm considering an aftermarket frame for the first time. Are they worth the extra cost?

At least I have a second 230 to fly till this gets sorted out
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX18, 07 Harley Road King, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is the weakest part. I fixed mine but with the force exerted into it does not last long. The aftermarket CF frames are the way to go.

The Lynx frame is completely redesigned with a different servo layout. I purchased my Rakonheli and I really liked it. What I like about RKH is that even though they did not do a full redesign like Lynx it is still pretty solid and bling in all those colours is pretty good. I mean if you are spending extra cash for an upgrade why not add style to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Dammit, was repairing crash damage today and had to put it away to cool off. Replaced the entire tail assembly and main gear in what I thought was a fairly minor crash. Got this all repaired, then noticed that the top part of the frame was completely severed above the main motor.

I'll replace the frame as I have a spare, but I'm considering an aftermarket frame for the first time. Are they worth the extra cost?

At least I have a second 230 to fly till this gets sorted out
Old 06-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

A dozen or so flights on 230S #1 yesterday...a bit too windy today

Perfect performance as I expected it would be...smooth as butter on JLo's derriere and piro comp works great...plenty of power for My style of flying, using only 75 pos/neg pitch travel
Old 06-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew four packs this evening and this thing flies flawlessly. It was a little windy but she says locked on. It is funny to hear the tail go to work with those cross winds.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I spent the majority of my day modding the 230s to put the Huey body on it.
I followed instructions and ideas posted by other freakers and the mod came out perfect.
The heli really looked good and it hovered rock solid.
I am very pleased with the outcome.
I then placed the heli on the table to bask in it's glory and dropped it on the floor. I broke the very fragile body. Gosh Daskit.

Maybe after I fly the repaired broken body for a while I will install the second body I purchased because I knew I would mess it up somehow.
That's heartbreaking to finish a project and then dumb hand it on the floor.

I bought a slightly crashed fuse and then applied shoegoo on a new one in the areas that were broken on the crashed one.

It might still crack but at least the glue holds it together.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yesterday - Flipped it several times and hovered inverted twice for a few seconds. I'm relatively new at this so it felt great. It was easy and felt very in control. For the first time I flipped anything but my Nano CPS and V977 I did it with my 180 CFX. That went so well I did it with the 230S. So it was a good day for me. Yeah I'm having fun now!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please don't take this the wrong way just trying to help honest. It is VERY exciting to flip and roll and hover inverted as it is as you say just plain fun. However if you want to grow your skill level I recommend you practice the basics. Ensure your orientations are perfect. This is repetitive and boring training but it really pays off.

I recently heard a Bert Kammerer old interview on RCHN and I liked his tip to fly a few packs training and then just fly and do whatever you want and have fun, after all it is a hobby.

Some sim training for that boring training and fun real flights is another option with today's sims. But definitely don't try to perform advanced maneuvers. The same thing happens to me and I am guilty of doing the same thing, so I am trying to force myself to sim under some sort of training, trying to follow one posted here on Helifreak by ArchmageAU.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irob View Post
Yesterday - Flipped it several times and hovered inverted twice for a few seconds. I'm relatively new at this so it felt great. It was easy and felt very in control. For the first time I flipped anything but my Nano CPS and V977 I did it with my 180 CFX. That went so well I did it with the 230S. So it was a good day for me. Yeah I'm having fun now!
mos2k likes this.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

No problem. I don't take that any way but good advice. Yeah, I'm weak on two basic things, nose in hovering and flying circuits without self leveling. I can do both cautiously but I'm not solid on either. Tail in and both sides hovering I'm good. Circuits left or right and backwards with self leveling are solid.
I've owned Phoenix sim almost from the time I started. At first it was harder than flying a small cp heli. I learned on a Nano CPS and V977 and now I can sim and I'm doing it more often. I still find it harder than a real helicopter. I'm flying a Trex 700 on the sim. But conquering the things that are harder will make the real thing easier.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome. Check out ArchmageAU's training. It has helped me a lot to work on the things I need to (basics). It is the "from tail in to funnels in 6 months" on the RC Flight School forum.

Quote:
No problem. I don't take that any way but good advice. Yeah, I'm weak on two basic things, nose in hovering and flying circuits without self leveling. I can do both cautiously but I'm not solid on either. Tail in and both sides hovering I'm good. Circuits left or right and backwards with self leveling are solid.
I've owned Phoenix sim almost from the time I started. At first it was harder than flying a small cp heli. I learned on a Nano CPS and V977 and now I can sim and I'm doing it more often. I still find it harder than a real helicopter. I'm flying a Trex 700 on the sim. But conquering the things that are harder will make the real thing easier.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
For me, the sim helped me get in the door, but continuing further has to be real life flying. In the beginning I was flying inverted but had difficulty with things like left turns and really turns in general. To the point that I had to make sure I had plenty of room to give bailout room also. We're not talking stall turns as they are more a change of direction, not too much turning involved. Talking banked turns. Forced myself to practice turns, left and right, and so now I feel the basics of turning are good and it feels more natural for things like inverted. I follow the above training but for me personally it has helped to work on being able to fly like a scale model first and then work on the inverted or more advanced moves after. I feel like if I can't fly like a real heli, why should I be working on stuff more difficult. Just my opinion and only been flying CP for about 6 months now.

mos2k likes this.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I have found is that these things may eventually end up in weird orientations. And the potential to do amazing things is there, plus the challenge to progress.

To me what so far I have seen is that the best thing is to master all orientations, upright and inverted. I think ArchmageAU's approach is also good to master upright orientations then figure 8's then inverted hover. But for me I find drawing a good line on figure 8's also needs awareness of all orientations of the heli. I find that because all orientations will make your brain think properly in any direction the heli is facing and make maneuvers, from simple to complex, easier to master.

That's just my opinion on how my progression has moved. Learning to hover inverted other than the nose-in I have pretty much nailed down is like learning to fly again! ArchmageAU did warn me about that actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
For me, the sim helped me get in the door, but continuing further has to be real life flying. In the beginning I was flying inverted but had difficulty with things like left turns and really turns in general. To the point that I had to make sure I had plenty of room to give bailout room also. We're not talking stall turns as they are more a change of direction, not too much turning involved. Talking banked turns. Forced myself to practice turns, left and right, and so now I feel the basics of turning are good and it feels more natural for things like inverted. I follow the above training but for me personally it has helped to work on being able to fly like a scale model first and then work on the inverted or more advanced moves after. I feel like if I can't fly like a real heli, why should I be working on stuff more difficult. Just my opinion and only been flying CP for about 6 months now.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today I received and maidened my 230S. The store I ordered it from only had ridiculously priced E-Flite's in stock, so I postponed the lipos and got the heli a couple days earlier than expected. The NF kit is planned for later, but for now I just wanted to try the 230S stock.

Skipped the calibration as it was bought for 3D mode only, so I maidened it in that mode using the stock setup but with 100 INH on the rudder in both rate modes. Found it fun to zip around doing some fast circuits and figure 8s (3 flights today between charges on the solo lipo), but may drop the expo to 20% and after the first 30 seconds I kept it in high rates which I like a lot more. 100 INH on the rudder gives the tail a good piro rate and I didn't experience any blow outs.

Flew well out of the box with no drift or yaw tendencies. Tail is not as "locked in" as the 180's is, but it's also a lot less maintenance and much sturdier so I'm ok with that since this is intended for Sport flight and I've never been into smack 3D.

There were few designs, inherent in its blow up doll micro design (it reminds of a micro in many ways in its construction) that gave me almost deja vu moments to the 120 SR with its fat white plastic blades, plastic frame, swash, rotor head, and especially the double sets of swash balls it has which it also shares with the ancient mSR and mSR X.

In how it flies and performs, there is no resemblance to those other helis but, technology aside, it had a "retro" bit of a look to it coming to from the 180 CFX. Which is not a bad thing in its own way: I have a 180 CFX with its banshee performance, disdain of even hard landings, and more complex higher parts count design - I bought this for the durable, low parts count sport heli that it is and it can peacefully coexist with my 180 CFX.

Now I just need a lot more lipos.. I have the common 8 port parallel board and a 200W charger, so 7 more sounds right.
Blade Scraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am so loving this helicopter. Was that at the field the other day with this helicopter and my others and I didn't even bother to fly my others, I just spent a couple hours flying around this 230. Even in begin or mowed it flies so nicely. I have to figure out my exponentials a little bit better be comfortable with the 3-D, but just flying around in beginner mode Is a load of fun. If they had had this helicopter out 10 years ago I would've spend so much more time flying helicopters, and a hell of a lot less money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Working from home so I stole a half hour flying in the back garden. Bit breezy but ok. Thought I would try a IU1 take off....all ok, but just after lift off a sharp gust took it sideways too quickly for me so my reflex was to lower the throttle and hit TH....bad move, need to spend less time in stability mode - came down a little hard and the negative pitch coupled with the angle of impact caused one of the blades to whack the boom which kinked a little up near the tail end. The blade grip links both popped off too.

After a deep breath I had a close look - no head damage, no skids or frame damage, links put back on (checked them and the ball mounts for any damage - none, all square and solid) and tail straightened out. Check servo alignment (perfect), swash level (perfect) and zero pitch (perfect). Only 1 tooth on the main gear was ever so slightly damaged (minuscule, but I could see it) and the pinion and motor was fine (hit TH just before impact).

Took it back out and she flies like nothing happened....phew

The blade that hit the boom has a slight dink in it, which I've smoothed out - stock blades, should I swap them out for new?

AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, fly those blades until they break. Chances are you will not notice damages to the blades as long as they are minor. All in how it flies. If it flies good, leave them.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, many thanks

Old 06-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree, just make sure that you haven't bent your feathering shaft
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, I was concerned about that, the flight afterwards didn't show any signs of vibrations and tracking looked good but I'll have a thorough check over it all again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in