Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 180CFX

180CFX Blade 180CFX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ESC settings for lynx EOX 1611 motor?

Hey all. I ended up picking up lynx EOX motor, installed it with 11 tooth pinion and went to fly it and it flew great, the head speed is quite high so I ordered the castle link programming cable, did not realize how many options there to change so I wanted to get some input.

Did you guys change the PWM drive frequency to 8kHz, did it make a difference?
Do you prefer the 10T or 11T pinion? (What are your fly times?)
Whats head speed are you running?

Also from what I understand I can set up the talon 15 to operate in Governor high mode, which will allow me to change the head speed directly by changing the throttle setting?

What governor gain value are you using?

And finally what lipo cut off value do you use (And which cut off mode)?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great questions... I'd like to know the answer too... Planning on installing a 1611 too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rsohler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet911 View Post
Hey all. I ended up picking up lynx EOX motor, installed it with 11 tooth pinion and went to fly it and it flew great, the head speed is quite high so I ordered the castle link programming cable, did not realize how many options there to change so I wanted to get some input.

Did you guys change the PWM drive frequency to 8kHz, did it make a difference?
Do you prefer the 10T or 11T pinion? (What are your fly times?)
Whats head speed are you running?

Also from what I understand I can set up the talon 15 to operate in Governor high mode, which will allow me to change the head speed directly by changing the throttle setting?

What governor gain value are you using?

And finally what lipo cut off value do you use (And which cut off mode)?

Thanks in advance for any input!
8k question: No, did not reduce the pwm.
This setting changes the frequency with which the controller sends power pulses to the motor. With some motor types, the higher the frequency the more efficient the motor will run, but always at the expense of increased heat within the controller. If you decide to experiment with changes to PWM, use a wattmeter, a tachometer and a temperature gun to find out how changes affect your entire power system. An increase in PWM frequency will always increase the controller temperature. It may or may not decrease the temperature of the motor.
  • Tooth count: 11T, preferred
  • Flight Time: 3minutes 50Seconds
  • Headspeed: 5500, 94.6%. set rpm

Simple Governor Mode
Simple governor mode is designed to be the easiest to use out of the box. *You simply throttle up as if you were in heli-Fixed mode. The throttle stick is directly controlling the power to the motor, and NOT specifying *rpm. Once you get to your desired rpm, leave the stick at that position for 1.5 seconds and the ESC will lock onto that RPM. If you move the throttle, the head-speed will change accordingly. *The only drawback to this mode is you do not know your exact head-speed.

Governor Low
Governor low translates the throttle input to a pre defined head-speed. This mode will allow the motor to be governed at ELECTRICAL RPMs from 10,000 to 64,000. *Note that electrical rpm is the RPM seen by the controller before taking into account gearing and motor type. You can determine what throttle value you will need for a desired head-speed by using the desired Head Speed inputs below. If governor low does not provide the speed you desire, switch to governor high and work your way up through the throttle until you achieve the desired speed.

Governor High
Governor high translates the throttle input to a pre defined head-speed. This mode will allow the motor to be governed at ELECTRICAL RPMs from 50,000 to 210,000. Note, that electrical rpm is the RPM seen by the controller -- before taking into account gearing and motor type. You can determine what throttle value you will need for a desired head-speed by using the desired Head Speed inputs below. If governor high does not provide the speed you desire, switch to governor low and work your way up through the throttle until you achieve the desired speed.

Set RPM Governor Mode
Fixed RPM will allow you to set 3 distinct head speeds that you would like to use. *Simply enter the head speed and some vehicle setup information and Castle Link will do all of the work to set up the controller for you. *The first head speed is used for throttle inputs between 1.1ms and 1.5ms (up to 50% throttle). *The middle head speed is used for throttle inputs between 1.5ms and 2.0ms (between 50% and 99% throttle). The last head speed is used for throttle inputs greater than 2.0ms (greater than 99% throttle).

Gov Gain: Low.
IMO with a heli this small, gov gain wont be noticed much.
And my choice of 5500, with 5% left, there probably isn't anything left in reserve.

Lipo cut off: 3.2v Type: RPM Reduction
I live on a clock, so unless I really mess up and grab a spent pack, I wont get to that voltage.
SkyKraken is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2016, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks SkyKraken. What batteries do you use, and what voltage do they fly in at?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Currently I'm flying Thunder Power, but I will fly any brand if its has low IR and decent wire.
I do usually stick with 1 brand in batches, so my timer wont need to be changed to match pack characteristics.

4.2 per cell balanced charged every time. ~(12.6v)
Flown down to 3.75 per cell or better measured without load after resetting.
(11.4 is my target, 11.1 is a worry).

Just be be clear about the LVC, "3.2", that is the voltage measured by they ESC per cell average, under load. The "under load" is important to account for.

I would recommend that you don't fly a pack down to 3.2v.
3.5 under load, is much less stressful on the pack.
Stopping about 3.5 will reduce each flights fly time considerably.
But, the packs will last longer and recharge more consistently throughout all the cycles.

just my opinion.
SkyKraken is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for letting us know. I charge mine to 4.15 and fly them down to 3.8 ( I have a low voltage alarm set to 3.6 ). Right now I get a flight time of 2:40 at head speed of 4500 rpm. I am running it at 8 khz 11t pinion and 5 deg timing.. I have only 4 flights on it now but the motor comes in a bit hot so I plan to lower the timing, and see if it helps. One thing I noted is I have yet to trip the low voltage alarm, which I used to trip at 2:30-40 with stock motor. Not sure why.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Setting up my first build kit. Found this thread when wondering about the PWM Rate in the Castle Link software.

So it’s not necessary to match the “Drive Frequency” of my EOX 1611 5500 kV (which happens to be 8 kHz) to the “PWM Rate” of my Talon 25? From what I’m reading it might do good things to bump it up, but that could increase ESC heat. Is it “best” to match the motor drive freq? Do I use quotes too much?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Setting up my first build kit. Found this thread when wondering about the PWM Rate in the Castle Link software.

So it’s not necessary to match the “Drive Frequency” of my EOX 1611 5500 kV (which happens to be 8 kHz) to the “PWM Rate” of my Talon 25? From what I’m reading it might do good things to bump it up, but that could increase ESC heat. Is it “best” to match the motor drive freq? Do I use quotes too much?
Im in the same boat building an oxy 2. What did you settle on here for PWM, stock 8khz or did you bump it?.
geof87 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh man I have no idea, too long ago. My ESC is now a Hobbywing 25A.
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in