Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outdoor Lipo Charging...In a 'Smoker'

I have been using 2S Lipos for electric on-road racing a few years. Now I'm in to Helis, I'm looking at bigger batteries and their dangers.

I'm considering getting this outdoor 'Smoker' to place outside my home. I'm going to gut the smoking mechanism and make a place to put my charger and do all my charging out side.

I wanted to avoid some eye-sore thing like a home-made sheetmetal or cinder-block bunker.

ic-racer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you charge outside - maybe you do not need anything. I always charge outside and just have the charging equipment on a table or simply on the charging box. If I would charge indoors again than for sure I would set something up for it.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also just charge on my outdoor patio table. I make sure to check cell irs periodically, I only charge at 1C and I only parallel charge bats that are within .1 v of each other. Also I have fuse isolated parallel charge boards.

With that in mind I am comfortable charging 4x 5000 mAh packs on each channel (20A per channel) on my patio table.

I do have a fire extinguisher nearby just in case.

--Ryan
Old 06-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4711 View Post
If you charge outside - maybe you do not need anything.
Good thought. In fact I just tired charging on the concrete slab outside where I might put that realizing that if it were snowing or raining, I would not need to be charging.
ic-racer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In case of bad weather I certainly not flying anyway - so no charging. however I admit that i hardly charge at home. I do that right at the field using my generator. I do that now for 5 years and am vey happy with it.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

--
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in