Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Scale Projects <790

Scale Projects <790 Scale Projects <790 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Christmas budget 450 scale multi blade build

OK, Is it even possible? I'm going cheap. I'm currently flying my Blade 230s pretty nicely with no crashes. So, I've searched parts, a copterx 4 blade ridgid head, tarot 450 pro air frame and tarot 450 pro torque tube tail, and a Ehirobo jet ranger to somehow mimic a Bell 407 because I love it. Air frame only parts came to $160. Fuselage-$70.The 500 size are too big and costly for me. My first issue to address will be head-speed.{1400-1600rpm's). I'm no pro, so what suggestions do you guys have to power this bird that really does seem impossible. Would I have to use a 3's system? Is a 6's possible? From my research, rotor headspeed to tail speed for scale flight is the biggest concern, and since so, a five blade md500 may be the only fuse that would look scale with this idea since copterx does make a rigid 5 blade head. OK, I know some gearing change mods may be in order(if they exist) to get it right. Also, I know a custom longer main shaft will be needed and longer control links.With all that said, descent electronics, and some perseverance, would you guys with experience advise the attempt, or say scrap the idea. I like the RCAerodyne Bell 407 470 size, but first off, they are out of stock and I get no response, also they are belt driven tail, which torque tube is just down right COOL.
So, please guide me in whether or not to waste the time, money and effort. I'm always reading you guys scale forums, and just can not afford a 500 size heli and my flying area is limited. So, scrap, attempt, or md500? Cheers and Happy Flying
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would recommend placing a wanted ad on here and RCgroups and see if you get any response, that's how I found mine. The 470 is the best value for the money in my opinion, despite the belt driven tail. The scale look of it is excellent!

If you keep with the 450 option, I would go with either 4S or 6S. 3S will likely not be enough power for a scale airframe. Your choice of parts looks good to me.
500 size AH-64 Apache ikon2
EnstromPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Enstrom Pilot. Everyone else please chime in with opinions and advise. At one time, when the rc Aerodyne 470's were available, I even considered trying to get just the fuselage and modifying it to accept a shaft driven 470 set of mechanics, but the site never sold just the fuse. Now, its been a while with only the cobra showing in stock. And since this has now become a quest to find out, more advise is needed. RC Aerodynes 450 size fuses would be part of the solution if they would ever get them. I've e-mailed them several times, no luck. So, since this is now a fun budget Christmas build attempt, back to the drawing board. A 470 scale build on 6's power would be perfect for a lot of people. Too bad, so sad though. I really did not want to go the md500 route, but it may be all thats offered in a 450 size. Cheers and more opinions needed. Oh yeah, I really love the look of the CopterX floating 450 4 blade head for a budget multi rotor head. Question is what heli would be right for it. I'm open to option this out for fun discussion. Lets have fun with it. Happy Flying
Old 10-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

For other 4 blade options, depending on how you are with customization, you could cut down the skids a bit, fabricate a custom fin, and have an OH-6A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22984850940_7aeb0533d6_b.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	726490  
500 size AH-64 Apache ikon2
EnstromPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Been a while but this 450 is now in test hovering stage with an el cheapo beastx clone flybarless unit, a TGZ380 from banggood and is holding and hovering well. Im just no good at the counter acting swash style of flying so I'm gonna keep it pod and boom and hopefully not crash it. Not sure if its worth a self leveling unit. The only way I could set the elecs up was on the sides and fbl on top in the back so to balance it I'll use a 2600mah lipo and a little nose weight and get 4;30 flight, well hover and call it a day. I have it way tamed down and it will stay pretty still, its just if I start moving around its fly or die and Im sure many people crashed learning this and I just don't have the time or money, so I sure hope self level becomes a standard. If it holds up pretty good, I may put a spirit on it and see how that goes. If that goes well I may get zeal mains, already ordered tails, and a nice canopy. Ill fly it occasionally so as to not burn it up, lol. Cheers

Last edited by scottdrumfish; 07-26-2018 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
scottdrumfish is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.