AEO direct replacement upgrade motors - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > 200QX

200QX Blade 200QX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AEO direct replacement upgrade motors

Well here we go again, this time I got my hands on AEO's version of 200qx upgrade motors. They weight less than both the stock motors and xtreme's upgrade motors. According to AEO's specs they should also perform much better as the specs say they are 41% more efficient (they are the same 3000KV as the stockers). I'm working night shift tonight so I cant get them installed tonight but here is a few pictures. I plan to do just like my xtreme motor review and compare them to the stock motors. I will make sure I get a video this time tho so everyone can physically see them fly. I have already noticed that these motors are 12 stator arm design where the xtreme motors were a 8 stator arm design and the stockers are a 12 stator arm design so looks like AEO decided to stick to stock style in that regard.

I did go ahead and weight them out, I'm getting roughly 10g per motor versus the stock motors weighting in at about 14g per motor so that comes out to about 16g of weight saved by switching to these motors!! that should make a pretty good difference all by itself.

These motors overall seem pretty nice so far. They seem much more compacted than the stocks which I think is part of how they got them to weight so much less. They look much nicer than the stock motors and only cost $40 including shipping!!! so its much cheaper than the stock motors and will hopefully give longer flight times as well as more power since they are more efficient. This is the link to the motors where I got them from http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...e-c2ed618f03ca
It took a little over two weeks for them to arrive. The link also has some specs. These motors claim to have more thrust while pulling less amps. I should be installing these tomorrow and giving them a try and hopefully they will perform as good as the stats look and as good as my AEO 180CFX motor has been performing! I'll also throw up some more pics of these motors next to the stockers tomorrow.

Hopefully these motors line up with the slots in the frame correctly unlike the xtreme motors. That was the one big problem with the xtreme motors is when you put them into the frame the motor wires were coming out of the wrong side so you had to grind away those keyed grooves in the frame so the motor could be installed in any direction which I personally didn't care to do because after that is done the motors can now twist in the mounts and rip the wires out of the motors in a crash or if the motor nuts just aren't tight enough.

Anyways more to come guys! And definitely a video this time cause I know some people really wanted that before with the Xtreme motors and I didn't get to it, so this time I will definitely get a video! for now here is a few pictures of the motors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0034[1].jpg (79.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0035[1].jpg (66.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0036[1].jpg (67.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0037[1].jpg (65.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0038[1].jpg (92.6 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by ALLsteven; 08-17-2016 at 07:22 PM..
ALLsteven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

A little random update, when I got home tonight I compared these motors side by side to the stockers and I'm shocked! These motors are a good bit smaller. They are a few MM shorter and a couple MM smaller in diameter as well. Tho the height I wasn't surprised because if you look at the stock motors the stator actually stops and the can goes a good bit past the stator which is just adding weight/material for no reason. So I'm glad to see AEO paid attention to that. I'm just shocked these are this much smaller but have the specs that AEO says they have on their listing. Can't wait to actually get these installed and see what happens. I hope they are a good improvement over stock because it would be great to get longer flight times, more thrust and save weight all in one! I'm wondering if AEO did testing and found the blade motors to be bigger than needed for this quad and that it was actually more efficient/powerful to reduce the motor size or something. But I'll find out soon enough! More to come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-18-2016, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes, it was a shame about the xtreme motors and looking forward to your review of these. AEO does a good job in their designs and performance. it will be interesting to hear how they pan out in actual flight?

questions...
-are they "keyed" on the threaded shaft like the stock motors?
-do they appear to be interchangeable with stock plastic nuts, or in my -case, with the after market Rakon nuts/lighted legs?
-are they pre-wired, or did you have to cut and solder wires with the plugs for the ESC?

my guess with the height of the original motor cans is for clearance between the blades and the body? if these motors are that much shorter, I wonder if the blades will have enough clearance for the Rakon frame with a Rakon canopy on it?

looking forward to the review!
Old 08-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
yes, it was a shame about the xtreme motors and looking forward to your review of these. AEO does a good job in their designs and performance. it will be interesting to hear how they pan out in actual flight?

questions...
-are they "keyed" on the threaded shaft like the stock motors?
-do they appear to be interchangeable with stock plastic nuts, or in my -case, with the after market Rakon nuts/lighted legs?
-are they pre-wired, or did you have to cut and solder wires with the plugs for the ESC?

my guess with the height of the original motor cans is for clearance between the blades and the body? if these motors are that much shorter, I wonder if the blades will have enough clearance for the Rakon frame with a Rakon canopy on it?

looking forward to the review!

Yeah these motors definitely seem high quality! They do have the keyed shaft just like the stock motors and the stock nylon nuts do not fit these motors but they come with their own matching nuts. As for the height, they come with a little nylon shim so I assumed when you installed them they would end up being the same heigh as the stock motors but they do end up sitting a little lower than the stock motors did which mean your props also sit lower. Not sure if this would affect other frames or not. The motors did come pre-soldered with the correct ESC plugs, simple plug and play swap.

I can't wait to try these motors but I ran into a small issue which I'm emailing AEO about now. The instructions say to use the stock prop nuts to secure the props on the new motors, however they don't fit. On all four motors I can get them about a half a turn then they get so tight I'm scared to try to go any further. I believe blade made these nuts some weird off size and AEO made them a regular size. When I get home tonight I'm going to see if one of my little nuts from the 180CFX or align 250 will fit these new motor shafts. from looking at the stock motors and AEO motors side by side it looks like one of the nuts from the 180cfx would fit. I think AEO is either gonna have to include the nuts with their motors or redo the whole design which would take too long. I would just include two sets of nuts with the motors and be done with it. Other than that everything else is going smooth. Just can't try them until I find a prop nut that fits! More to come once I get past this little issue, which in my opinion is to be expected some times with a brand new product that your testing.

Last edited by ALLsteven; 08-19-2016 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Fix wrong advice!
ALLsteven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually I told you wrong, I just assumed with those nylon spacers it would be the same height as stock motors but it is not. It's actually really close to the body, wonder if that would affect flight much? I mean if imagine AEO did testing and knew what they were doing I'm just surprised how close this is to the frame and body. Check out the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah, when I looked at your pics of the AEO and stock side by side, I thought the threads were different for the motor nuts. it is a shame that AEO cant just make their stuff to fit with stock sizes. pinkish-purple would not look well with my all black set up. did they offer other colors or options? either way, with different threading, it puts my leg lights out of the question .

the threads for the motor shafts and the nuts not going on is definitely an issue. hopefully AEO can direct you on how to get them on without damaging the threads.

ummm, yeah, those are very close to the stock body! it probably wouldn't be an issue on my Rakon frame if I left the canopy off, but I like my canopy. the rear blades don't come close enough to the canopy to be an issue, but the front... there would be issues.

this is starting to sound like another Xtreme motor escapade, so it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I'm not sure why they decided to make the motor nuts on the bottom different threads. To be honest I wish they would've made them the same as stock because I honestly like the regular style open end nuts because it makes it easy to oil that bottom bearing since I oil my bearings every 8-10 flights with scorpion oil. Plus I'm not a big fan of their style nut, they made it really long which I think they were aiming for a landing gear type nut, which some love I just personally do not prefer that. But that's all opinions of course, some people love those style nuts and some like spooner have already bought aftrrmarket motor nuts and if they bought these motors they can't use those which does kind of stink. What I'm wondering is if I could find a regular style nut to fit these.

Now as for the prop nuts I did figure out the issue. Just as I thought, AEO made the shafts 2mm and they accept a 2mm nut like those used on a 180cfx or 250 while blade made their motor shafts some weird off size that is slightly smaller than 2mm. Seems like maybe a 1.8mm on stock blade motors but I haven't got my calipers out yet. Probably a simple mistake, they just assumed it was a regular size but to be honest this could've easily been avoided by either including nuts with the AEO motors or making the shafts the same size as blades, at this point including nuts would be the easiest fix. But anyways I did find nuts that will work as I said 2mm nuts fit perfectly on the AEO motors so that is no problem and tomorrow I should finally be testing these things out!

I'm slightly concerned with how close the blades are to the body. Seems like that would surely affect air flow and cause some loss in performance. I feel like AEO should just go ahead and extended it out taller, if not all the way at least just a bit more. But we will see how it goes! I mean with the amount of weight these motors allow you to save, and if the improvement stats are correct then these should make the little 200qx almost twice as quick!!! So we shall see soon and I'll have a video to show you guys!

I will say these motors do seem well built and I really like how they look, I love the red color scheme and just the overall design. I just wish they came with shorter motor nuts and kinda wish they were a little taller. But overall I'd say the design is better than xtremes design. I hated how the xtreme motors had two little Phillips screws holding on the adapters for the bottom motor nut, all that added a lot of extra weight which could've been saved. So these are definitely better than those and are good quality. I just have different preferences I guess cause I've never liked the tall landing gear type motors nuts and as for how close the props are to the body, if they fly good then I suppose that won't matter!

More to come freaks so stayed tuned if your interested! I'll have a video of both these motors and stock motors. For testing I got two brand new identical batteries to test these motors on. So besides motors everything else should be basically the same. I think I may do a little timed drag race type deal to see the real difference or something. We shall see!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

after all this time the 200qx has been out, you would think that AEO would want to appeal to anyone by being "interchangeable" with what has already been available for some time now?

its a shame, because they really do make very good motors. sadly, people like me who have a proven set up using other aftermarket upgrades, are out in the cold with these. I simply have too much tied up in support parts to go back to the drawing board for a quad that is basically "yesterdays news". between that and the stock nuts not fitting, they really didn't do themselves any favors as far as generating interest.

I think you will be ok with lift where the blades being so much lower are concerned. they look like they clear the central body with room to spare, and where they go over top the arms, is really just a fraction of the area with their rotation. these should be quite "peppy" and looking forward to hearing your review of their performance, and would love to see a video of them in action.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I've mentioned to them this concern already about the motor nuts and height. Maybe they will change the threads on the shaft and include an extra spacer to lift them closer to stock heights so they will have more interest in these. I hope so, especially if these motors do what I think they will!

However after my last post I realized, I do have 2mm nuts for the props but only in standard thread. I don't have any reverse thread 2mm nuts. So I actually can't test them till AEO either sends me nuts or sends me new motors. I emailed them over the weekend and should hear back today! Really wanna try these things out!

I really need to get me a carbon frame of some sort. Always wanted to but always end up spending money on my Helis most of the time since most of my interest in this hobby is helicopters. But one day I will get a carbon frame. Probably once I break my plastic frame and spare plastic frame.

Anyways more to come once we get these small bugs worked out.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wondered how you were going to deal with the reversed nuts? It really is a shame, almost like they just tossed somethong together and put it out there without doing any research or testing? Very uncharacteristic of AEO, in my experience anyway, and hope they are more receptive to your concerns then Xtreme was.

On the CF frames, I just saw that Microheli finally came out with a version that closely copies the Rakon design. The rear arms are swept back farther then the Rakon, looks good.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well after hearing back from AEO they are now sending me some prop nuts that will fit these motors and will now include these with the motors they sell. So I think it was just a mistake on sizing the shafts since blade made them a off size.

I mentioned the motor mount nuts but I'm not sure if they are going to change those. I think they just focused on a stock 200qx and just didn't think about the upgraded motor nuts. For the height of the motors I'm sure they would work on any frame with the correct amount of spacers under the motors to raise or lower them to fit your specific frame. I will say AEO has been giving me great customer service. Fast responses and really helpful. There is a slight language barrier but they are still great with helping make everything right and I understand a few mix ups since these are brand new to the market and as far as I know I'm the first customer trying to use them.

Hopefully those prop nuts come in quickly so I can give these motors a try!
Old 08-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is great Steven and glad to hear that they are being so quick with their responses and help. Yep, lol, sounds like you are their test subject.

I enjoy your reviews of these sort of things, Always very thorough and detailed, and looking forward to the in-flight review.

I doubt that they will redesign the mounting threads and set up as that would be too costly. Unfortunately, what they went with limits the options for those who already have established setups. Maybe if these generate enough interest, they will offer some options for them? Spinner type nuts, different colored legs, legs that can be lighted... Things like that. Time will tell .
Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup I believe I am but I don't mind it! I enjoy doing the reviews even if it only helps one person! Got a few more coming soon for the 180cfx and some upgrades I've done to it.

Yeah I'm not sure they would want to pull all the old ones and redo them but maybe they will come out with their own style of nuts and stuff if these get enough interest. Or maybe release a V2 motor. I just think if these motors are true to the specs on the website we should have an insane 200qx cause we will get longer flight times but be a lot faster. So we shall see what happens! They sent the prop nuts via Epacket and Epacket always comes pretty quick so hopefully I'll have them next week by the end of the week and once I have them I'll be doing a video comparison. I've got two brand new identical batteries ready to do a test video with both stock motors and the AEO motors.

So far without flying them my favorite thing about them is the red appearance and how little they weight. And that weight can be even further reduced if you trimmed down the motor connection wires as they are a little longer than they need to be.

Anyways more to come as soon as possible! As soon as the nuts come in I'll have a video up.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright! Finally got the prop nuts in from AEO and I did confirm with them that for now on prop nuts will be included when you buy the motors. They stuck with blades design and used brass prop nuts for the CW motors and steel for the CCW motors. So I've just gotta charge up some packs and do a stock flight video then install these motors and make a video with those motors! Should have it all done by Sunday so stay tuned!
Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never been a fan of AEO anything but I'll be interested to see how these work out. My first "Really?!?!" thought was when I saw this thread was that they soldered leads on the motor wires to the plug on the 200QX connectors.
NCcraig is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

How did this motor replacement turn out?
lil-bump is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Boy, feel like I've been rode hard and then put away, all that review and details and we have no clue how this turned out...... Bummer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.