250 CFX Initial Impressions - Page 4 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 250 CFX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the video. Does that thing come with ear protection ? Geebus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Thanks for the video. Does that thing come with ear protection ? Geebus.
No kidding. That thing sounded hellacious. Pretty good tail blowout, too. Glad I didn't jump on this one just yet. Still lovin' the 230S.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is not super high on the head speed about the same as the 230S but the gear mesh sound is really loud on this heli.

I have been all over on my tail PID's to get this tail to hold but she just wont.

Piro right overshoots and when you unload the disk the tail goes left also. That's the counter direction the tail motor works in so it has plenty of tail power that's not the issue. I can piro going forward with constant speed so the tail power is good. It is like the speedo is governing too slow and not coming off power fast enough or getting on it fast enough. ?
Chris DeSain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a shame because it looks like it has a decent amount of extra power over the 230S. The $6mil question before was whether or not it would overcome the tail and cause blowouts. Guess now we know. I figured it would because I fly my 230S as hard as one can be flown and I feel like I'm on the edge of a tail blowout sometimes. Stick the exact same tail assembly on a larger, heavier and more powerful heli, even with the extra bit of length, and that's what you get. You'd think Blade would have figured that out but, then again, why am I not surprised. Probably a big reason why Horizon didn't release an uncut video of a full flight with James Haley beating on it like they did for the 230S.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn, that thing is much more louder than my Oxy at 3800 headspeed and the sound is of a frequency that is annoying.

Great flying though There you go, video proof that it is a cf 230 with a bigger motor. Everything else seems the same in characteristics. I may get one one day if it lasts in their inventory. Been thinking about selling both of my 230s and buying one of these. It is the better 230, I'm sure, uh I mean 250.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like the best choice left is a 270CFX if you want to stay with Blade and go up from the 230S. I'm glad I got one of the last 360's at a large discount. If you don't already own a 230S the 250CFX might be the better choice for a experienced pilot.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea I know the feeling on the 230 of dancing on the edge with the tail. If I really bog her she will spin but I can get away with a lot.

Yea the extra power gets gobbled up by the extra weight too. I cant even get a side tic toc to really stick the redirect of all the weight is tough. So the extra powers is not a win on this guy. Same motor as my 300? but I can bog this guy up. I freaking love my 230S, I wanted this to be a rocker too but just doing the math told me this mix was not going to be "it".

With a lighter 1000MAH pack she feels so much better but the tail is just not there.
I have more vids with the tail over rotation on piros and jerking around wicked in tic tocs. I will put that together. This flight it was fairly good till the blowout.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What are you going to do, just live with it?, looks like it flies pretty good!... really like the loudness of your heli!.... nice flying!, Thanks for the video!
Old 09-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably going to put it up for sale. I have a 230S and the 230 Night already and they fly well also. This one is a little more precise feeling for sure but overall it just was not different enough to justify having the $$ in it.

Not putting it down
It is a good advanced trainer for sure and solid flier. I am probably asking to much out of it with the fast backwards tail slide and wanting the tail to hold in harder tic toc.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chris, you posts have been comprehensive and helpful for many. Thanks for taking the effort.

I am probably asking to much out of it with the fast backwards tail slide and wanting the tail to hold in harder tic toc. Agree; this is a trainer.
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice flying, is pretty loud but not surprising. My 300cfx has a very obnoxious sound compared to my other helis cept the old Trex, it's obnoxious as well.

Still can't get over the giant mosquito sound of the tail on this and the 230, sure you get used to it over time but that's a sound that's beyond annoying when you first hear it. Especially once you get used to smooth running helis, always think my Trex is ready to fly apart cause it's so noisy compared to the Oxy or my Protos helis.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is that sound just the gears meshing being amplified by the canopy. It really detracts from the quality of this model, making it sound cheap. Wonder if there is a fix. What does it sound like without the canopy?
crsorrell0653 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 04:52 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsorrell0653 View Post
Is that sound just the gears meshing being amplified by the canopy. It really detracts from the quality of this model, making it sound cheap. Wonder if there is a fix. What does it sound like without the canopy?
Yes! Added a dab of silicone grease to the main gear and it helped a little. Then I flew a pack without the canopy and it is more than half as loud. I used Velcro on the tongue of the canopy where it overlaps the skids and that made an fair improvement. Still testing on my next sound modifying improvements..... will post once I have a solution.

Right now it's still loud in comparison but it's not as annoying as the stock configuration.
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I put a Lynx Delrin (230 S) main gear with aluminum hub in mine and it completely changed the sound. That did not help the canopy resonance though. I did the velcro trick and added some window insulation foam to the inside of the canopy..
Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the power wires from the battery to the ESC are transferring a lot of vibration into the canopy. Still thinking about a way to solve....
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has to be an imbalance somewhere. The wires may carry the vibration, but aren't a moving part so they cannot cause the vibration.

Either imbalance or pisspoor tolerances making it run rough, the 300cfx motor is known to cause vibes so may be something to check.

It's atrocious that a $330 heli with no tail mechanics is so vibey and loud, sure sign of a POS imho.

With Black Friday coming up idk why anyone would pay so much for a vibing, tail blowing heli that flies like a fat pig when you could have an Oxy 3 for about $100 more if you buy the fbl unit from the classifieds.

Guarantee the 250 will cost more to maintain and the same or more to repair after a crash. Over time you will have spent more $ on failures and trying to cure shortcomings on a heli the isn't in the same universe when it comes to reliability and performance.

The 250's motor and esc will fail, just a matter of time. So many ppl complained about the motor in the 300cfx yet Blade put it in a new release, only company that puts known crap in their models.

Don't be a fool, spend more up front for a quality heli or get nickel and dimed forever by half assed crap.

Oxy3 has cost me $7.75 to maintain since Nov 25th 2015 and has almost 800 flights in every type of weather imaginable. Good luck trying to hit those numbers with the 250 that also flies like a Walmart Airhog in comparison.

Sorry to bash but I hate to see ppl waste their hard earned $$ on something when I firmly believe they would be better served by something else. Long term reliability and great performance will keep you happy alot longer than an okay flying heli that will start failing in a month of heavy use.

You build the Oxy3 and then fly the snot out of it. No playing with gains to try to keep the tail from blowing out or trying to lessen vibes with padding ect. OXY HELI did all that for you already and released a heli that's perfect right out of the box.

Was only flying Blade before I got the Oxy3 and was a fanboy that defended them and thought their helis were pretty good. The Oxy3 totally exposed them as half assed garbage and I'll never go back.

Now that I found the classifieds and got a ultra smooth/quiet, badass flying Protos 500 stretch with 3 lipos for less than the cost of a 250cfx, it blows me away that anyone still buys Blade helis at all.

Good manufacturers engineer their helis to perform well and be reliable. Blade engineers their helis to sell as many overpriced parts as possible. I firmly believe that is fact not fiction. YMMV
Old 09-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will say that they are a good learning tool. They get your feet wet without having to jump in over your head with doing things like FBL or head setups. I would never have what I have without starting with their models. I will also say that I feel that this applies only to the 230 and maybe the 250. The 230 has been pretty reliable and didn't need much to keep it going. If you're ready for a 270 or above , there are way better options in the classifieds.

Once there is a reliable replacement for the 230/250 size range, one I can safely fly in my yard, I will likely say goodbye to both of the 230s I own. Bring on the Oxy 2.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a big fan of the 230 as an IRL sim, but the 250 may not deliver the 230's charm with its higher price. A set of Oxy blades is 5 230 crashes for me, which then introduces the pucker factor the 230 eliminates- its greatest attribute.
Marginally better precision and power isn't much of a benefit for an orientation and maneuver training tool.
So, fly the 230 w/o upgrades, using and accepting it for what it is.... while dreaming of the day your skills can justify an Oxy 3 in your stable.
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well said, RCFred!
Old 09-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris DeSain View Post
nice flying.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.