Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scram

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation External module problem flashing X4R

My X9D+ is running OTx 2.2.4 and I have just updated the XJT firmware to LBT version for England.

This meant I had to update the firmware also on one of my X4R receivers and I used the cable which comes with the Rx. I went to great lengths to identify the correct pins in the external module port on my Tx to ensure correct polarity etc. I carefully plugged on the supplied cable, my thumb obscuring my view of wire colours.

Needless to say this caused a problem and I then found the cable supplied is not set properly and I should have swapped the red and black wires over.

I have done this and on making the connection Tx to Rx it seems fine, the Rx red LED flashes. But when I navigate to the SD card to flash the Rx all I see is SDCARD without any folders for FIRMWARE etc.

I take the SD card out and check it in a PC and all folders and files are there. I return it to the Taranis and look without any Rx connected by cable and all folders are shown on the SD card.

I try a new Rx plugged into the Tx (to prove the Rx was not originally damaged) and it is the same.

Is there a known fix for this? Do I need to replace some board in my Taranis? Seems likely I have caused some damage.
Scram is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 02:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Connecting power in reverse usually does bad things and lets the magic smoke out of the box. But I would imagine the RX would be hosed, not the TX, with the reversed power connection going out to the RX.

Can you see the radio's SD card using the PC's file explorer, while plugged into the USB?

With the obvious being stated, try flashing the radio to 2.3.5 using the OpenTX Companion program, remove and reformat the SD card in FAT32 (or perhaps use a different card), load files back on the SD card and see what happens. If it still won't see the SD card, then the main board is probably hosed. You can try to format the card using the radio, too. Just save your files before any format and reload them.

You will need to upgrade the firmware on the receivers to the newer firmware, also.

When I was on 2.2.4, strange things were happening, also. V2.3.5 cleaned it all up. But I am in US and don't use the LBT version.

Last edited by 04fxdwgi; 03-04-2020 at 03:00 AM..
04fxdwgi is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Your comments cannot be faulted. However, without any Rx plugged onto the pins in the external module port, the files on the SD card are all visible. Also if I remove the SD card and plug it into my laptop, all appears OK. The X9D+ functions perfectly well on other D8 set up receivers and the one D16 already set up with LBT firmware. Voice output still works ok. But I have a couple more receivers I want to run D16 so need to flash LBT firmware to them. I cannot from the X9D if I cannot get to the FIRMWARE folder on the SD card.
I've just received from T9 a 1.5 x 5cm USB to S.Port adaptor in a 25 x 32cm jiffy bag ( hee hee)so will be attempting to flash LBT firmware to the (possibly damaged) X4R receiver. Maybe I will work on another known new one first.

I can't imagine how the X4R I connected to the Tx with incorrect polarity is not blown, (it still lights up ok - no magic smoke emitted) but I cannot find out till I try to flash it from the laptop.

And yes, I can see the folders on the SD card when the Tx is connected to my laptop via USB.

My conclusion is that only the circuits in the Tx concerned with communication through the external module are damaged somehow. That would mean a whole circuit board replacement to correct - much more expensive than the USB - S.Port adaptor.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It sounds like your micro SD card has some file structure issues. Have you done an error check from Windows? Right-click on the SD card in file explorer, go to Properties then the Tools tab.

One other thing to note is that the SD card included with the radio is not exactly high quality. Mine failed after 6 months. The good ones are pretty cheap these days so you may want to save yourself a future headache and get a card from a reputable manufacturer. For example, a 16GB microSD from SanDisk is 5.29 to 5.69 on amazon.co.uk at the moment.

Good luck!
gfyss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If all else fails, and there is no-one at your club etc. that can help - I'll happily update the X4Rs for you, if you feel comfortable sending them to a complete stranger
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another idea - it appears that this device can be used to update S.Port receivers https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-stk-usb-programmer

There is a video here https://www.frsky-rc.com/how-to-use-...date-firmware/ where FrSky says that it can update any S.Port receiver - I've not done this, but the device is 10 at T9 - might be worth a try ...

From T9 website
Frsky SKT USB cable for programming the GPS and Accelerometer functions on the S6R and S8R receivers. Also can be used for updating Smart Port products

Description:

S.Port 1 (upper) – Monitor, receive and set the telemetry data for S6R (with DIP switch to the upper side)

S.Port 2 (down) - Upgrade S.Port products (with DIP switch to the down side)

How to upgrade S.Port products

Steps: Put the DIP switch to the down side → connect the USB port of STK to the USB port of PC → run “frsky_update_Sport.exe”, match the COM port number to the one assigned by PC. Click “File” button and select FW version → connect the 3-wire S.Port cable to the S.Port 2 of STK and S.Port of upgraded product → After “device found, please click Download”, then click the “Download” button to start the upgrade → Exit the process by clicking “End” button after “Firmware is updated”.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you having upgrade problems with just that one RX plugged into the smart port, or all of them?

Seems as though the X9R is working properly unless the RX is pinned into the smart port. What is file extension on the firmware file you are using? Is it a *.FRK

If it's just that one RX, then I would kiss it off as a loss or maybe use as an experiment and try to update firmware via an adapter. But I would consider it unreliable and not fit to use in an aircraft., since it was stressed / displaying anomalies, and toss it in a drawer or the bin.

Just for the heck of it, incase you don't have this, I included the upgrade instructions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to upgrade.pdf (504.2 KB, 10 views)
04fxdwgi is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2020, 06:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for that. Those instructions are possibly slightly out of date and I don't have either of the 2 devices shown for updating. What I have is the FrSky USB to S.Port adaptor which is supposed to run in much the same way, I understand.

Yes, I am using the .frk file for updating my X4R. I have tried 2 new X4R receivers, neither work so they are not the problem.

The CP210x_VCP_Windows driver program available at FrSky downloads may have been a problem as it is not the latest version. I went to Silicon Labs and downloaded the latest CP210x Universal Windows driver which includes W10 driver. I'm on a W10 64 bit laptop. I plugged the adaptor with Rx connected into my USB port and ran the FrSky_update_sport_rev14.exe program. It found the com port but it still did not get past Finding Device..... Ending that program brought up the Trouble Shooter and I went through all options until if finally reported that it was an incompatible program!!

I may take up an offer to update my receivers for me or buy another X9D+ on eBay. Else maybe get a new internal XJT module card but T9 is out of stock. There's some on eBay in China but as the motors I ordered from HobbyKing are now stuck in UK Customs (for last 10 days+ more) I'm not very inclined to go that way.

Oh boy . . . . .
Old 03-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a crazy idea - but turn of Bluetooth on your laptop and try again.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was that I was doing, but I was connecting some vis USB recently and having problems, and on Googling the issue I found someone else that had a similar problem - turning off BT resolved the problem.

I have no diea what it was that I was doing, and I didn't think for one moment that it would help - but it did, there must have been some incompatibility somewhere..
Old 03-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought you just might have hit the nail properly, but no, did not work.

When I updated my W7 laptop to W10 the SD card reader and the BT adaptors failed to install or work but everything else was OK. Also the Acer launch manager sometimes . . . sometimes, starts the wireless and BT adaptors by itself on PC startup - the BT doesn't work. They were turned on but turning 'em off did not do the trick.

Thanks anyway.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Prroblem solved

I found the reason for my problem but not until it had cost me 50 pound replacing (unnecessarily) the internal module of my X9D+ because I assumed that connecting the Rx and the external module pins with the + and - wires wrong way around, this had damaged circuits.

The problem stemmed from advice I found on u-tube on how to flash firmware to an XxR receiver. The advice was to make up a new model and set the radio setting to Internal Module OFF and set the external module to PPM. That was all it needed to hide the SD card contents when trying to flash internal or external modules. After I had purchased and installed the new internal module, the problem persisted. But then I found that if I set it on any mode other than PPM or just use any model for doing the flashing the SD folders were visible and there was no problem - you just tell it to flash the external module!!

So, with new module installed, I had to flash LBT firmware to it so that I could use the S8R receiver but I flashed the 151223 version. This worked OK on the S8R, X8R and X6R and strangely on one V8R7-II receiver, but I could not bind to any other V8FR-II or V8R7-II receivers in D8 mode I had assumed that because my X9D was a 2015 build that 151223 was the correct version but of course the new internal module is later and so I needed to flash the 170317 version and this I did and achieved bind on all those other receivers in D8 mode. Thanks to Rich at T9 for his patient advices
PassinThru likes this.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well done mate - sounds painful as well as expensive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in