Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Main Forum - Multirotor Talk

Main Forum - Multirotor Talk General Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default need advice on rediculous 3d 250 quad setup

been wanting to build a ridiculously overpowered 3d quad (reversing motors). probably going with kiss flight controller and escs. need to pick a frame that is light as possible and still tough (probably a single peice x frame). super minimal. no need for mounting camera or anything. don't really care if I only get 2 and a half minute flights. just want rediculous power. looking for suggestions on motors, cell count, props, and 24a vs 30a kiss esc. aside from just raw power, I want it to do well with quick motor reversing like tic tocs, so can't really just go all out with huge motors. need a light can motor with thin efficient magnets. best thrust to weight ratio so it's snappy when switching between positive and negative. I'm sure some of this I'll just have to experiment for myself, but I need to at least decide on motors and which size esc. just not sure what is going to provide the best thrust to weight ratio. any advice is appreciated!
RCHN #232
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Plenty of light weigh true X frames to choose from. Either single piece bottom plate (QAV-X, Shen Drones Mako/Orca/Mixuko style) or separate arms KC215, TSX220, TSX 200, Shrike.

Don't buy the 30A Kiss ESCs. They're older tech than the 24A, and you won't even get near the limit of the 24A. The 24A's can now do "D-Shot" which is where the Kiss FC dumps the throttle data to the escs digitally via DMA and simultaneously. The "old" (lol, 12 months or so) Oneshot 125, Oneshot 42 and multishot are all done one at a time.

For motors, I'd go for something like the ZMX X25s or Brother Hobby T2 in the 2300KV rating. They're 2206. Cobra champions might also be a good option in the 2205 size, but the extra stator height of the 2206 seems to help the bell spin up and slow down quicker with heavy props.

For battery, I'd go classic 4S, unless you buy lower KV motors (say 2000KV) and go 5S. If you do go 5S, you'll need to put a cap on each of the 24A ESCs. 6S might be an option, but the 24As won't do 6S. You'd have to go for some BLheli-S ESCs which are excellent btw. I'm moving all my quads over to BLheli-S slowly. Not quite as good as the Kiss at braking though. At least, not yet. You could do 6" props on 5S. That should be spicy. The only problem then is props. AFAIK, only Graupner make 6" 3D props and they're not cheap.

I haven't flown the Kiss flight controller in 3D mode, yet. I do have one which I will be testing after I'm done trying the Vbar Neo. The Neo with Vcopter flies well, but the default tune isn't great, and documentation is sparse. Out of the box, I think Betaflight 2.9.1 (the only version I've tried with 3D) is better behaved, though the default rates are a little high for me. Too un-heli like if that makes any sense.

My experience of about 30 flights on my 3D quad is that tic-tocs are the most un-heli like thing to fly. The motor reversing really hammers the batteries if you go quick with them, and you really have to fly through them, rather than mash the sticks. If you want to minimise the battery bottleneck, then go 6S 800mah and (try to) get some 1500KV motors. That should minimise amp draw by a bunch.

Hardly a comprehensive guide I know, but things to think about.

EDIT: I did try to set up the Kiss FC for 3D, but couldn't get it to work properly. The main problem (other than the motors spinning after disarming) was that I could stop the motors with the stick. So in between spinning forwards and backwards, there is a stick position where they stop. Not something you want as you quad then becomes a stone.

Last edited by Bigpops; 10-25-2016 at 02:41 PM..
Bigpops is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

How did you wire your VBAR Neo to quadcopter?

Erol

Logo 550SX Neo Vbar, Trex 550e V2 Neo
heli808freak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in