Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AR7200 Nitro Governor

Not a whole lot of documentation on this out there. Anyone know of any good step by step YT vids? I found one or two that were marginally helpful, but not great.

Recently pulled my 7200 off my 500 electric, updated the firmware to 4.0 from 3.0 so I can utilize the nitro gov.

Please note that this is not the MB Plus or 7210 - those will be differnt from the 7200.

They did a pretty good job on the addendum PDF instructions for this thing. I'm pretty clear on what I need to do as far as programming it and setting up the throttle and governor functions, parameter menu, etc.

My confusion comes in where I need to set up my Tx. I need Aux3 channel for gov operation. Ok, turn on gov menu in my DX8, set Aux3 to that channel, and use my flight mode switch to switch between the 3 outputs for what headspeed I want. This is where it gets confusing for me.

The instructions are not very clear about what throttle curves I need to run. Since I will have the Gov menu/Aux3 values regulating my headspeed, what throttle curves should I use in my TC menu? How do these affect performance? How do they interact with my Gov menu settings, etc?

Here is some nitro instructions I pulled off the MB Plus Wiki page - Not sure if they apply to the 7200 or not, but this is super confusing. Can anyone decipher this? I get what they are saying, but it does not make much sense at the moment. The switch assignment I understand, as I noted above, but i'd like your opinions on the rest.

Some transmitters offer a special setting that allows to automatically switch the auxiliary governor channel together with the flight mode switch. So the motor can be ignited in the first flight mode and you can spool up the rotor and hover the heli by applying throttle manually. With the second flight mode the throttle curve is a "V"-shaped curve and simultaneously the RPM Governor is turned on by the auxiliary channel. In this case pay special attention that the two throttle curves/throttle positions match as good as possible in the stick point at which you usally switch flight modes. Otherwise the throttle servo would make a jump before the RPM Governor will take over control as you still may be in manual mode for a short amount of time. So in this type of operation it is not possible to activate the RPM governor from idle position and let the rotor spool up autonomously. If you want this, you must activate the RPM Governor before switching to your second flight mode with an additional switch!
OXY rep
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know what that means, and you probably know this, but I thought it was standard practice on Nitros to run with v curves that approximate to your chosen head speeds, so that if the governor drops out, and starts to simply pass the Tx throttle value straight through, you won't get a big change in applied throttle.

For example, if you ran with a 100% flat curve, letting the governor do all the work, that could be a very bad situation if it stopped governing and the head was unloaded, in say a descent.

Why the governor might drop out, who can say, perhaps a sensor failure, but surely it can't hurt to do it to protect your engine from such a possibility.

Sorry I can't help more with the specifics of the 7200.
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have not used the BeastX Gov but on my Gassers, i do have "underlying" throttle curves. My two gassers have GV1 Govs. The speed is set directly in the gov and I think BX is the same way? For each flight mode, I have gasser appropriate throttle curves that will fly the model. They are ignored unless I turn off the Gov. The GV1 can be turned on/off with a dedicated channel. I have the TC hover speeds set just below the Gov speeds so if I turn the Gov on or off, i can hear a slight speed change.

I would think you'd want to do the equivalent thing for Nitro if the Gob doesn't use the TC gain level to set speed. Definitely if the Gov can be turned on/off.

Sensors can come loose or fail. Once I had a clutch fail and I needed to turn off the Gov.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
Here is some nitro instructions I pulled off the MB Plus Wiki page - Not sure if they apply to the 7200 or not, but this is super confusing. Can anyone decipher this? I get what they are saying, but it does not make much sense at the moment. The switch assignment I understand, as I noted above, but i'd like your opinions on the rest.

Some transmitters offer a special setting that allows to automatically switch the auxiliary governor channel together with the flight mode switch. So the motor can be ignited in the first flight mode and you can spool up the rotor and hover the heli by applying throttle manually. With the second flight mode the throttle curve is a "V"-shaped curve and simultaneously the RPM Governor is turned on by the auxiliary channel. In this case pay special attention that the two throttle curves/throttle positions match as good as possible in the stick point at which you usally switch flight modes. Otherwise the throttle servo would make a jump before the RPM Governor will take over control as you still may be in manual mode for a short amount of time. So in this type of operation it is not possible to activate the RPM governor from idle position and let the rotor spool up autonomously. If you want this, you must activate the RPM Governor before switching to your second flight mode with an additional switch!
Hi,

basically this also applies to the Ar7200. Check out the Microbeast Plus online manual to see examples for throttle curve and gov channel setting.

http://wiki.beastx.com/index.php/Man...ernormenu_D/en

As already mentioned as long as the governor is off, you can use any throttle curve and control the servo manually. Now when you activate the gov switch to preset a rotor speed the governor will enable and takes over throttle control as long as the throttle output is greater than a specific value. You could set your throttle curve to a V-curve or flat line or whatever, it doesn't matter as you will not control the servo as long as the governor has control. Just make sure you will not close the throttle too much, as this will deactivate the governor instantly. The governor os only working as long as the gov channel is not standing in "off" position, the throttle channel has more than x% (don't know the exact value right now) and the sensor is picking up some head speed. If one condition is not fulfilled, the gov will be disabled and you've manual control.

Now you have 3 different options to switch throttle curves (flight modes) and gov channel:

The feature of combining throttle and gov channel typically is used to be able to perform autorotations and set the throttle to increased idle position, or also to start the motor without deactivating the gov channel, so the governor takes over control automatically when you move the throttle stick up, then you can switch to Idle up while the gov is already enabled and will stay enabled as throttle output will not reduce in idle up anymore. So you could use the governor even without assigning an additional switch to the gov channel. Just different flight modes and one preset gov value.

On the other hand you can have all your standard throttle curves which you change with your flight mode switch and then additionaly you have a switch to control and activate the governor. So you can have both flying, just as usual without gov and activating the gov as necessary. In this scenario just make sure your throttle curves do not go below the activation point by accident, when the gov is activated.

Third you could use the flight mode switch for both throttle curves/flight mode switching and different gov settings in each flight mode. I.e. gov off in "normal" mode with throttle curve from low to high to start the motor and rev up manually. Then in idle up you preset a rotor speed using the gov channel and set your throttle curve high enough so the gov will stay enabled and the thrust stick will not close the throttle by accident causing deactivation of the governor. Here comes the text from the manual into play that you quoted above. When you switch the flight mode from "normal" non-governed mode to idle up, make sure the curves do match roughly at the current thrust stick position, otherwise the throttle may jump up unintentionally as it can take a short moment for the governor to enable. You could also solve this by adding some servo delay in the transmitter when switching flight modes. So the throttle servo does not jump when switching curves but curves will fade slowly.
freakware.com
Frenchdress is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice and Stefan for the great instructions. I will start the governor programming later this week. Will see how I make out.
OXY rep
Old 02-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would like to follow up on this topic as I just finished going through the governor menu's and have some questions. Also want confirmation on a couple points.

In addition to the the Appendix released for the AR7200 nitro gov setup, I also found this thread which helped add a little clarity:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=594775

Running through the gov menu a couple times made more clear what Stefan is saying above. I understand now how the throttle curves work together with the preset Aux3 %'s. I have all of it set to my flight mode switch so my FM switch is controlling both my TC's and my Aux3 presets. I do not have a separate switch to turn gov on/off.

My understanding is that, if the governor turns off for any reason, the regular throttle curves will take over. But as long as the gov is on and the throttle channel stay above the conditional value of 25% (set in programming and verified with a purple light), then the Aux3 / gov values will dictate headspeed.

First of all, the setup menu. Menu B. Sensor operation. In this menu, the light on the Beastx stays red when I turn the engine over manually. I am using a spektrum backplate sensor with an OS55HZR. So it is detecting the crank position. My question is, should this light cycle on and off or remain red? If the light should cycle, how should I accomplish this? Back the sensor off? From what i've read, it sounds like as long as the light is red, i'm good to go.

My servo travel in my Tx is set to 120ish on both high and low. Mid stick is right at 50% carb open. Manual says servo travel must stay above 100% for gov operation so I think i'm good here.

Menu C and D were no problem. Got the blue light on high and low throttle. I realize you must move out of these menus with the throttle stick at high/low, as the unit saves these positions. Just an FYI.

Another question. A question on low throttle point (menu C): Should this value be set with the carb fully closed or with whatever my TH value is (~8%)?

Menu E.

Ok here's the meat of it. Please see what the manual says here:

Menu E
Checking Activation Points for Throttle and RPM channel:
• The Status LED will turn Blue when the throttle is above the activation
threshold (above 25% throttle).
• The Status LED will turn Red when the RPM channel is above the
activation threshold (5% above or below the center position).
To activate the governor, ALL of the following conditions must be met:
• The RPM channel is 5% above or below the center position.
• The throttle channel is above 25%.
• The RPM reaches 60% of the programmed target RPM.
The governor deactivates if ANY of the following conditions are met:
• The RPM channel is within 5% of the center position.
• The throttle channel is below 25%.
• The RPM is lower than 60 RPM.
After confirming the activation points, press the button to move to Menu F

Now here is what i'm seeing during programming:

-Linear TC. Aux3 gov value set to 0%. status light remains off until I get to 23%. It turns blue after that and stays blue until 100%.

-To fulfill the other conditions (red light 5% above center ie throttle channel) and purple light to signify correct operation, I realized I had to add a % value in my Aux3 gov channel. Once I got above 5.5% I got the red light and then above 25% I got the purple light on all flight modes.

What I used for programming:
TH: 10%
Normal mode: Linear TC
IDLE1: 90% (just for programming purposes)
IDLE2: 100% (just for programming purposes)

I then set Aux3 gov values (assigned to FM switch) to:
Normal: 60% (should be 1850rpm)
IDLE1: 65% (should be 2000rpm)
IDLE2: 70% (should be 2150rpm)

With these values, I checked throttle servo operation. All worked fine. Above 25% throttle in normal mode I got the purple light. Then, switching to IDLE1/IDLE2, I verified the carb jumped to 90% and 100% throttle respectively (since that is what my TC's are set to) and the light remained purple signifying that the gov is on.

Seems to me everything checks out. Once I exited the gov programming menu, I entered the parameter menu and set up everything there. Pretty straight forward no issues there.

Finally I backed out of all menus and the AR7200 initialized with a solid blue light. I went to check throttle servo operation with the above settings and notice some really strange behavior of the servo. I need to get confirmation on this before trying to start it / fly it.

Now, I know from my 700 machine which is also goverened via an SK540 that the throttle servo will behave strangely while on the bench.

Here is the video showing what's going on, in normal operation mode.

I think what i'm seeing is that above 25% throttle, the governor is taking over. That's why there is no servo output at that point based on my inputs. What concerns me is that the throttle servo is fully closing once I reach 25%. I'm pretty sure this will be fine during normal operation but, if you could clarify Stefan that would be great.

Also, please clarify on the aforementioned points I mentioned concerning Gov menu point B (status light crank sensing) and menu point C (low throttle setting).

Thanks!

Ar7200 nitro gov setup (3 min 28 sec)
OXY rep
Old 02-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AR7200 Nitro Governor

Something isn't right. Once you hit the 25% mark the gov should take over and start opening the throttle eventually going to WOT. Since the gov is trying to reach a target but because the motor isn't running it's going to keep opening until WOT.

Also if you're using the gov option in the TX I think the manual stated to use a V curve, looks like you set them flat.

As for menu B as long as the light is changing status regardless if it's going from solid to off back to solid, or off to lighting up and going back off when the pin passes, you're ok. Every so often when you move the pin too pin slow it could cause the light act funny. On OS motors without steal lining you could push the sensor right up against the backplate and be good. On YS motors with steal lining, I had to space it back a bit. I used 2 or 3 mm spacers to pull them back a bit. You just have to play with distance on menu B to see which spot gets you the most consistent light reading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Baedarlboo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm ok thanks. So what you're saying is, even during bench operation, the servo should be opening up the throttle all the way.

Like I said, checking the servo travel during Gov programming (step E), I get the servo to move throughout its full range of motion getting the purple light at wide open 100% throttle using Aux3 values of >60%.

Outside of programming mode (in regular operation mode), I get what you see in the video with the throttle closing like that. Not sure why that is. If its correct in the programming, should I really trust what it looks like on the bench? Motor is not running there and its not sensing.

I wonder - do you think my Aux3 channel possibly needs to be reversed? I will check this out as well.

Lastly, with regarding to Gov menu B, sensor test - sounds like the light should indeed be alternating between on / off. Mine just stays red. My sensor is pushed all the way up against the backplate. Spektrum sensor going into a Futaba regulator adapater (converts HV to 5v) and then plugged into AUX3. Should work.
OXY rep
Old 02-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hmmm ok thanks. So what you're saying is, even during bench operation, the servo should be opening up the throttle all the way.

Like I said, checking the servo travel during Gov programming (step E), I get the servo to move throughout its full range of motion getting the purple light at wide open 100% throttle using Aux3 values of >60%.

Outside of programming mode (in regular operation mode), I get what you see in the video with the throttle closing like that. Not sure why that is. If its correct in the programming, should I really trust what it looks like on the bench? Motor is not running there and its not sensing.

I wonder - do you think my Aux3 channel possibly needs to be reversed? I will check this out as well.

Lastly, with regarding to Gov menu B, sensor test - sounds like the light should indeed be alternating between on / off. Mine just stays red. My sensor is pushed all the way up against the backplate. Spektrum sensor going into a Futaba regulator adapater (converts HV to 5v) and then plugged into AUX3. Should work.
Yes, on the bench, as soon as you reach 25% the gov should engage and you should see the throttle slowly creeping up as it's trying to reach a target.

I would trust the bench test. When I was using the ar7200/7300 none of my nitro gov's acted that way.

It's possible. The why I found out (hard way of course) is during spool up I wasn't hitting my tart RPM after gov engaged. Once I figured out it was because my AUX was rev. I flipped it and it started to work correctly.

First, get rid of the voltage reg. I never used one (and i use straight 2s lipo) and haven't had any issues. I'm still using the same sensor to this day. The sensor cannot be pushed all the way forward as I explained in my previous post. You can do that with none lined OS motors, but steel lined YS motors need space. I just measured my spacers and they are 3mm spacer. They are between the back plate and the sensor mount to space the entire sensor off at least 3mm. Try that and you should see the status change with rotation.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baedarlboo View Post

First, get rid of the voltage reg. I never used one (and i use straight 2s lipo) and haven't had any issues. I'm still using the same sensor to this day. The sensor cannot be pushed all the way forward as I explained in my previous post. You can do that with none lined OS motors, but steel lined YS motors need space.

Im running the OS55hzr, but i'll try backing it off a bit and see.
OXY rep
Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Im running the OS55hzr, but i'll try backing it off a bit and see.
Gotcha, my mistake. I thought this was for your YS. Yeah, you may not need the spacers and be ok with the amount of adjustment you have at the sensor mount. Just move it back some and test.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, just went through the programming again. Nothing worked.

Reversing Aux3 channel had no effect. The 7200bx works on a 0-100 range. Not a -100 to +100 range like the Microbeast plus. So reversing it has no effect on the end result.

I backed off the backplate sensor a few mm's. Also tried pushing it all the way against the backplate. Gov setup menu B (sensor test) still only yields a solid red light (meaning on) while rotating the motor over. Not sure if this light should be alternating on/off on the 7200's setup menu or if the solid red light is just letting you know its working and ok.

Throttle servo behavior:

During programming menu point E, I verified all the conditions I listed / posted above. Everything checks out in terms of getting the correct colored lights for the corresponding given conditions. In this menu, the throttle servo is controlled by the TC that is programmed in the Tx. So linear TC results in linear travel. Flat 50% curve will have the servo jump to 50% open and stay there, 90% to 90% open and stay there, etc. With the Gov channel engaged with a positive % value, the light remains purple, signifying that all conditions are met.

Now, getting out of this menu and into regular operation I programmed these values for testing:

Gov/Aux3 controlled by FM switch as before:

Aux0: 0% (Gov off)
Aux1: 65% (Gov on)
Aux2: 70% (Gov on)

TC:
N: Linear 0-100
IDLE1: flat 50% (for testing purposes)
IDLE2: flat 90% (for testing purposes)

So, I have full linear control of the throttle servo in normal mode since I have the Gov off in that mode. Thats fine.

Switching to IDLE1/IDLE2 will have the throttle servo quickly jump to the set TC (50%/90%) and then immediately back down to just under 50% open and stay there. No control of throttle servo at that point unless I switch back to normal mode (gov off) or into throttle hold / throttle cut.

Now, I think I understand why the carb is quickly jumping to the set TC. Stefan mentioned that there can be a lag between the time it takes for Aux3 channel to kick in as you switch between flight modes. This is why it is recommended in the Beastx manual to run a V-shaped IDLEUP curve with the midpoint having a similar value to your normal mode........so that jump isn't as pronounced. If those two values aren't in sync your throttle will jump open before the governor engages to the preset value. So that I understand.

What I don't understand is why the throttle, after jumping like mentioned above to the TC preset value, then will jump back down to just under 50% open like I show in my video posted above. This is where I could use some help from someone who intimately knows the AR7200bx nitro operation. So far, all i've been going off of is the Microbeast Plus (since there is no Wiki instructions posted for the 7200 nitro gov) and its directions saying that the throttle should continue to open until it reaches WOT on the bench due to it not sensing the rpm increasing. That is normal behavior for the Beast Plus, but i'm not sure what normal behavior is for the AR7200. Is it the same, or is it different like what i'm seeing?

Once in Governed mode, I have no control over the throttle servo and the servo remains at this slightly under 50% value. Does not go to WOT like the Beast Plus manual describes. Is this signifying that the governor is active or not? Not sure at all. Again, the 7200 might be different than the Plus. Like mentioned, all the conditional lights in Menu E are correct. I've confirmed them 3 times now. All checks out.

This is where I really need some help from the developers. Stefan, can I get some help here? Could really use your input on Menu B sensor test behavior and the rest here. Many thanks.
OXY rep
Old 02-09-2017, 03:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi,

what about menu points C and D (throttle low and high position). Did you try to teach these positions again? It seems as if throttle endpoints are not set correctly.
freakware.com
Old 02-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchdress View Post
Hi,

what about menu points C and D (throttle low and high position). Did you try to teach these positions again? It seems as if throttle endpoints are not set correctly.
Yep redid them as well. No dramas there. Easily got the blue light on each. Low point was set with TH on at 8% per the beast plus instructions: "set with a high idle point in case of bailout". High throttle no problem.

My servo throttle servo endpoints are at 120+ on high and low. The 7200 nitro manual says these endpoints must stay over 100 for gov to function.

Does the 7200 use the same firmware (4.04 I think) as the beast plus?
OXY rep
Old 02-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, it's not the same.
freakware.com
Old 02-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

- Please try what happens when you separate the Aux 3 channel from the throttle. Meaning don't use the FM switch to switch Aux3 and flight mode simultaneously. I just pulled out an old AR7200 and the throttle servo should move like this:

FM0: linear curve from 0 to 100
Aux3: 0%

Servo can be controlled like usual.

Aux3: 50%
Servo can be controlled like usual, makes no difference when using the stick slowly. (Only when moving the stick very quick to full throttle, the servo now will creep up slowly, as the system will think you've switched into idle and engages the gov.)

Now, with throttle stick low switch to Fm1:
FM1: Flat curve 50%
Servo will creep up to 50% throttle, as gov is engaged. (But not full throttle as the governor is not fully activated due to missing rpm signal!)

The Ar7200/7300 is acting quite different here than the newer 7210/Microbeast Plus. You can see some sort of creeping, but only when you change the throttle position very quick and making a big step up. Otherwise you will not see that the gov engages at all.

- "the beast plus instructions: set with a high idle point in case of bailout"
This is not applicable here. With the AR7200 set your low position at menu point C as low you've setup the servo travel in the transmitter. So that the system knows your throttle stick endpoints.

- "Could really use your input on Menu B sensor test behavior
When no sensor is connected the rpm input will stay pulled high, Status LED will light up in red color. When you put a Spektrum bind plug on the Aux3 port, the Status LED will extinguish as you pull the signal pin to ground. Remove the plug and the Status LED will go on again. This is how speed measurement works, when the magnet passes the sensor it will trigger the signal line for a short moment and the system counts one rev. So when turning the crankshaft the light should go out each time an as long as the sensor senses the metal (or the other way round, can be that the LED is off most of the time and only lights up when the sensor triggers). If the LED stays red all the time you will not have a proper speed measurement for sure.
freakware.com
Old 02-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you Stefan for the helpful notes.

I first tried your suggestions with no success, but had a lightbulb moment and decided to check my switch assignment in the model menu of the Tx. My Aux3 channel was defaulted to my "knob" on my DX8. I inhibited that and went back into the Gov menu and set up the Aux3 channel on the Rudd/DR switch with the Aux3 and TC values you suggested.

Quote:
-

Servo can be controlled like usual, makes no difference when using the stick slowly. (Only when moving the stick very quick to full throttle, the servo now will creep up slowly, as the system will think you've switched into idle and engages the gov.).
I was not able to replicate the above with a linear TC and slowly vs quickly moving the throttle. I observed no "creep".

Quote:
Now, with throttle stick low switch to Fm1:
FM1: Flat curve 50%
Servo will creep up to 50% throttle, as gov is engaged. (But not full throttle as the governor is not fully activated due to missing rpm signal!)
I was however able to replicate the above here! With Throttle in the low position, I turned on the Rudd/DR Aux3 to middle position 50% and then engaged IDLE1 with flat 50% TC and noticed the servo "Creep" up to that point and stay at 50%. No other movement observed. No control of throttle servo at this point.

Was also able to replicate this with my IDLE2 at 90%. From low throttle I would engage IDLE2 and observed the throttle servo creep up to 90% and stay there.

So I do think the governor is indeed working.

Now, with that tested, I went ahead and switched my Aux3 channel back to my FM switch assignment. Now (since I inhibited Aux3 from my knob in the model switch assignment), I noticed a different behavior than before. When I would engage the different FM's the servo would jump quickly to those points (50% / 90%) and stay there. No further movement or control. I think this is correct - as stated before, the Aux3 channel has a lag before it engages. So my throttle is simply jumping (no creep) to the TC I have set in my Tx before the governor engages. Does that sound right?

What I am NOT seeing anymore is the throttle doing that "jump" I described earlier and seen in the video above and then jumping back down to just under 50% and staying there no matter what TC I have assigned. That issue no longer persists.

So during real-time operation, what I would expect to happen when I switch to IDLEUP (Aux3 at >50%) from Normal mode(Aux3 at 0%) is to have the throttle servo switch to IDLE up the same way it would as if I were running straight throttle curves. But then, I would expect the governor to engage and control the throttle as long as throttle stays above 25% and Aux3 RPM channel stays above 5% from center of channel per the conditions. So as long as I am in the "purple" light mode, as tested in step E with governor engaged, the governor will be controlling my throttle servo at that point. Please let me know if my understanding of this concept is correct.

Quote:
This is not applicable here. With the AR7200 set your low position at menu point C as low you've setup the servo travel in the transmitter. So that the system knows your throttle stick endpoints.

-
Cool. Fixed that.

Quote:
When you put a Spektrum bind plug on the Aux3 port, the Status LED will extinguish as you pull the signal pin to ground. Remove the plug and the Status LED will go on again. This is how speed measurement works, when the magnet passes the sensor it will trigger the signal line for a short moment and the system counts one rev. So when turning the crankshaft the light should go out each time an as long as the sensor senses the metal (or the other way round, can be that the LED is off most of the time and only lights up when the sensor triggers). If the LED stays red all the time you will not have a proper speed measurement for sure.
I tested this with your bind plug method and confirmed the light on the Beastx went out.

I have tried backing off the Spektrum backplate sensor and I have tried pushing it all the way up against the plate. Red light stays on.

I have the sensor passing through a Futaba regulator that converts HV down to 5v. I tried it with and without the regulator. Same result. Light stays on.

At this point I will go ahead and order up a new sensor to see if I have a bad one and report back. If I can get it to sense I think i'm comfortable giving it a test flight with the throttle behavior I am seeing now. What do you think?

Thanks again for the help.
OXY rep
Old 02-10-2017, 04:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up

Quote:
Now, with that tested, I went ahead and switched my Aux3 channel back to my FM switch assignment. Now (since I inhibited Aux3 from my knob in the model switch assignment), I noticed a different behavior than before. When I would engage the different FM's the servo would jump quickly to those points (50% / 90%) and stay there. No further movement or control. I think this is correct - as stated before, the Aux3 channel has a lag before it engages. So my throttle is simply jumping (no creep) to the TC I have set in my Tx before the governor engages. Does that sound right?

So during real-time operation, what I would expect to happen when I switch to IDLEUP (Aux3 at >50%) from Normal mode(Aux3 at 0%) is to have the throttle servo switch to IDLE up the same way it would as if I were running straight throttle curves. But then, I would expect the governor to engage and control the throttle as long as throttle stays above 25% and Aux3 RPM channel stays above 5% from center of channel per the conditions. So as long as I am in the "purple" light mode, as tested in step E with governor engaged, the governor will be controlling my throttle servo at that point. Please let me know if my understanding of this concept is correct.
Hi, that sounds perfect to me! I think now you've set it up correctly.

Quote:
I have the sensor passing through a Futaba regulator that converts HV down to 5v. I tried it with and without the regulator. Same result. Light stays on.

At this point I will go ahead and order up a new sensor to see if I have a bad one and report back. If I can get it to sense I think i'm comfortable giving it a test flight with the throttle behavior I am seeing now. What do you think?

Thanks again for the help.
Which sensor are you using in detail? Please note that Spektrum telemetry sensors usually are made for 3.3V not 5V. Only there was a special version of the backplate sensor available that could be used with 5V-8,4V and in combination with the AR7200.
freakware.com
Old 02-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not using telemetry. This is the sensor I am using, per the 7200 instructions:

SPM9560
OXY rep
Old 02-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

An update:

My new SPM9560 backplate sensor came in. Hooked it up and same........sigh.

Really not sure what's going on or why it won't sense. Its an OS55hzr. No steel backplate. Should have no problem picking up the crank pin. Once again, tried the new sensor with 5v regulator and without using a 2S lipo as power source.

Tried moving sensor all the way up against backplate and pulled it out about 1mm as well. Still, solid red light on menu B on beastx gov menu while rotating motor over.

I have to rule out that its the sensor at this point, unless I somehow have two bad sensors, including the brand new one.

I also was able to confirm that the red light went out when I hooked up a bind plug to Aux3.

So, i'm really lost at this point. If I could just get the thing to sense, I could take it out for a test flight as i'm comfortable the rest of the programming is good.

Any other suggestions on this? Kind of bummed this new sensor didn't work. I was confident that was the issue......
OXY rep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in